PDA

View Full Version : Is it a Rainy Day in Oklahoma?

badger
9/17/2009, 10:21 AM
Tulsa is going to have to layoff teachers unless the Rainy Day Fund is tapped, according to the superintendent. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=19&articleid=20090917_11_0_hrimgs30444)

If $500k is cut every month from TPS starting in 2010, it will probably be bad across the state.

So, my question to the reasonable, benevolent South Oval readership - is today a Rainy Day in Oklahoma?

badger
9/17/2009, 10:33 AM
No thoughts on this? :(

OklahomaTuba
9/17/2009, 11:18 AM
Not sure what to say about this.

On a related note, the baseball stadium is coming along nicely, and we sure have a damn fine city hall.

badger
9/17/2009, 11:50 AM
I am not sure exactly how funding for everything works, but Rainy Day funds are state funds, while our d@mn fine city hall (and it really is a nice building) is a city-funded building... and most if not all ballpark funds came from private donations... and taxes on the downtown buildings, heh.

The reason I asked about the Rainy Day fund was because this will be a statewide issue dealing with state funds, as opposed to city, county, private or federal funds.

Not that I don't endorse some cutbacks when the economy is down, but I really, really hope the state decides that this is Rainy Day.

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 12:43 PM
I am not sure exactly how funding for everything works, but Rainy Day funds are state funds, while our d@mn fine city hall (and it really is a nice building) is a city-funded building... and most if not all ballpark funds came from private donations... and taxes on the downtown buildings, heh.

The reason I asked about the Rainy Day fund was because this will be a statewide issue dealing with state funds, as opposed to city, county, private or federal funds.

Not that I don't endorse some cutbacks when the economy is down, but I really, really hope the state decides that this is Rainy Day.

heh. have you taken a peep at okc public school system? why would tulsa be worse off than them? why should the STATE have to worry about them? you don't do your job as a financial planner, you get the boot right?

i want to know where all the fuggin lottery money is going.

OklahomaTuba
9/17/2009, 01:16 PM
Not that I don't endorse some cutbacks when the economy is down, but I really, really hope the state decides that this is Rainy Day.I'm sure they will. Then they will bail out every district next, and good-bye rainy day fund.

If TPS cannot survive within its means, then it needs to scale back.

Seems to me that a city's services (no matter what it is) should remain supported by that city only (unless there is a crisis, which there isn't here in Tulsa), and not the State. Just my opinion though.

OklahomaTuba
9/17/2009, 01:17 PM
If school districts don't have enough money, why don't they start charging some tuition??? They could be like tool roads, or ambulance service , water, etc..

stoops the eternal pimp
9/17/2009, 01:21 PM
i want to know where all the fuggin lottery money is going.

this..this..this

Sooner04
9/17/2009, 01:24 PM
12 minutes for a bump?

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 01:31 PM
12 dollars for a hump?

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 01:31 PM
12 kicks to the stump?

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 01:32 PM
12 hairs for tha trump?

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 01:32 PM
12 miles to tha dump?

badger
9/17/2009, 01:41 PM
Tapping the Rainy Day fund wouldn't just be for Tulsa, but for all schools... and other state-funded things, like roads. I'm sure that you'll start seeing reports out of other districts on the need to cut back if Tulsa has to cut back $500k per month in 2010.

The issue goes deeper though... the cause of the funding cut was the huge, GIGANTIC shortfall in state revenue - which is getting blamed on the Sales Tax Holiday (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20090917_16_A9_OKLAHO146734).

The reason I want the Rainy Day Fund tapped is because this is extremely short notice for schools and other state-funded entities to make up shortfalls. Don't cover the entire shortfall with Rainy Days, but make the situation less harsh to deal with.

Then, if necessary, cut funding more during the summer when they have more time to plan.

As for the lottery, we all know where it went. The state didn't use it as a means to topple extra gravy on the schools. Rather, lawmakers (all of them, not one side or the other) projected how much they thought the lottery would make during a fiscal year, then lump that together with state funding for a single education fund... I think anyone would have been foolish to think that Gov. Henry's projections of lottery revenue would be realistic (http://newsok.com/lottery-tickets-go-on-sale-wednesday/article/1640118). However, the lottery also funds other things besides cash prizes and Oklahoma education. It also funds gambling addiction programs, for example.

So... is this a Rainy Day?

Jello Biafra
9/17/2009, 01:45 PM
Tapping the Rainy Day fund wouldn't just be for Tulsa, but for all schools. I'm sure that you'll start seeing reports out of other districts on the need to cut back if Tulsa has to cut back $500k per month in 2010.

The issue goes deeper though... the cause of the funding cut was the huge, GIGANTIC shortfall in state revenue - which is getting blamed on the Sales Tax Holiday (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=12&articleid=20090917_16_A9_OKLAHO146734).

The reason I want the Rainy Day Fund tapped is because this is extremely short notice for schools and other state-funded entities to make up shortfalls. Don't cover the entire shortfall with Rainy Days, but make the situation less harsh to deal with.

Then, if necessary, cut funding more during the summer when they have more time to plan.

As for the lottery, we all know where it went. The state didn't use it as a means to topple extra gravy on the schools. Rather, lawmakers (all of them, not one side or the other) projected how much they thought the lottery would make during a fiscal year, then lump that together with state funding for a single education fund... I think anyone would have been foolish to think that Gov. Henry's projections of lottery revenue would be realistic. However, the lottery also funds other things besides cash prizes and Oklahoma education. It also funds gambling addiction programs, for example.

So... is this a Rainy Day?

meh...its raining today so id say yes. I moved out of oklahoma city and i live in canadian county. not saying that my kids education isn't in jeopardy but we are better than most. as long as my kids get through school without issue, i could care less. not that im uncaring but, i have one life to live and im not like hillary. it doesnt take a village idiot to raise a child. im tired of worrying and fighting about it and i loathe damn near ANY politician. they are all self serving pricks imo.

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2009, 02:36 PM
I have to say that Tulsa's problems are just that, Tulsa's problems. I don't think it would be fair to ask the people of Guymon to pay for Tulsa's shortsightedness in school funding. Harsh, yes. This did just spring up on them, but I just don't think the rest of the state should pay when one city can't manage it's money well.

badger
9/17/2009, 02:52 PM
Clarification: I would be in support of Rainy Day dipping for ALL of the state. If this was just to bail out Tulsa, I would be against it. Rather, I would like to see Rainy Day funding for all of the state schools and other state entities to help combat shortfalls. I was only using Tulsa Public Schools as an example. The revenue report just got released yesterday and TPS was one of the first state-funded entities to respond to it. That's why I mentioned it.

Clarification No. 2: Tulsa's schools are actually the state's problems, not just Tulsa's problems, because they are state-funded, not Tulsa-funded.

NormanPride
9/17/2009, 03:24 PM
Clarification No. 2: Tulsa's schools are actually the state's problems, not just Tulsa's problems, because they are state-funded, not Tulsa-funded.

Take that, Guymon.

;)