PDA

View Full Version : Ogallala Aquifer

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2009, 10:26 PM
Anyone else worry about what happens when it's empty? For some reason I was thinking about this earlier today.

tommieharris91
9/16/2009, 10:28 PM
The way it has rained the past 6 months, will it empty?

Curly Bill
9/16/2009, 10:31 PM
Since I don't live in Ogallala, I'm not too worried about it.

Just kidding folks, I really do know what the Ogallala Aquifer is. :D

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2009, 10:34 PM
The way it has rained the past 6 months, will it empty?

Fraid so, It only has a few points where it can be recharged. And even there it is a slow process.

Just looked it up and found this:

Withdrawals from the Ogallala Aquifer for irrigation amounted to 26 cubic km (21 million acre feet) in 2000, which is slightly greater than the historical discharge rate of the Colorado River.

:eek:

That is a lot of water!

Fraggle145
9/16/2009, 10:39 PM
Ya it is getting pretty bad... I forget how many more hundreds/thousands of wells go in it per year or at least since like the 70's.

Pretty worrying stuff

They have some of the data available at OWRB's website.

tommieharris91
9/16/2009, 10:45 PM
Well, I did hear from one of Tulsa's local TV meteorologists that the record rains from 2008 filled up the Aquifer. I don't study earth sciences myself, though.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2009, 10:53 PM
Well, I did hear from one of Tulsa's local TV meteorologists that the record rains from 2008 filled up the Aquifer. I don't study earth sciences myself, though.

Tulsa isn't near the Ogallala Aquifer, I didn't think so at least.

bluedogok
9/16/2009, 10:53 PM
During our two year drought this has become a big issue, many have had wells go dry this summer in the various aquifers under Central Texas. Some have had to by water tanks and water just to stay in their homes.

Sooner_Havok
9/16/2009, 10:59 PM
During our two year drought this has become a big issue, many have had wells go dry this summer in the various aquifers under Central Texas. Some have had to by water tanks and water just to stay in their homes.

Sad thing is, we told the Indians (dot not feather) to farm the same way we do. Their aquifer isn't half as big as the Ogallala. Yeah, they are almost out of water...

I am afraid when the Ogallala goes dry, America will have more problems than bitching about how the other political party is bad/evil/ a Hitler.

Fraggle145
9/16/2009, 11:31 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the next big war is going to be over water.

Curly Bill
9/16/2009, 11:34 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the next big war is going to be over water.

Red River Rivalry :D

Fraggle145
9/16/2009, 11:40 PM
Red River Rivalry :D

You ain't ****tin'. I'm sure you already know about it, but we are in a big fight with em already... think its in the U.S. Supreme Court right now.

Sardis Lake is a huge bone of contention I think, cuz Oklahoma doesnt own it cuz they never paid back the fed.

And Oklahoma is thinking about pumping water via pipes and transferring it all around the state from one of our few pristine rivers (the Kiamichi). :mad:

Frozen Sooner
9/16/2009, 11:43 PM
You ain't ****tin'. I'm sure you already know about it, but we are in a big fight with em already... think its in the U.S. Supreme Court right now.

Sardis Lake is a huge bone of contention I think, cuz Oklahoma doesnt own it cuz they never paid back the fed.

And Oklahoma is thinking about pumping water via pipes and transferring it all around the state from one of our few pristine rivers (the Kiamichi). :mad:

You mean like a series of tubes?

http://westcoastsuccess.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/473px-ted_stevens.jpg

Fraggle145
9/16/2009, 11:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHA

hellogoodbye
9/17/2009, 08:52 AM

^ THIS

Oldnslo
9/17/2009, 09:05 AM
I don't think we'll have much to worry about.

Assuming, of course, that the world ends in 2012. Otherwise, we're screwed.

stoopified
9/17/2009, 02:13 PM
I thought this thread was about a Redhawks pitcher. :D

I Am Right
9/17/2009, 02:54 PM
Anyone else worry about what happens when it's empty? For some reason I was thinking about this earlier today.

Let it rain, let it rain, let it rain. By the way, what is up with the signitures of posters being longer that the posts. Hmmmmmmm

I Am Right
9/17/2009, 02:56 PM
don't you just wish you had sold the water to Texas (sucks), when the aquifer drys up at least you would have the money. Yeah, buy a big boy buggy or something.

Soonerus
9/17/2009, 03:05 PM
It is like an ocean...

49r
9/17/2009, 03:05 PM
It don't matter, we'll just drink the oil we pump out of ANWAR!!!!!! YEE HAW!

(yes Froz, I did that on purpose)

Sooner_Havok
9/17/2009, 03:15 PM
don't you just wish you had sold the water to Texas (sucks), when the aquifer drys up at least you would have the money. Yeah, buy a big boy buggy or something.

Think they wanted the water from our rivers. I think...

Petro-Sooner
9/17/2009, 03:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer

also

http://www.waterencyclopedia.com/Oc-Po/Ogallala-Aquifer.html

Frozen Sooner
9/17/2009, 03:43 PM
It don't matter, we'll just drink the oil we pump out of ANWAR!!!!!! YEE HAW!

(yes Froz, I did that on purpose)

Why should I care what you pump out of an assassinated Egyptian president?

49r
9/17/2009, 03:54 PM
Yep.

Like fingers on a chalkboard....

But to be fair, Sadat seemed like a pretty oily character...

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/17/2009, 04:30 PM
water is over-rated.

Breadburner
9/17/2009, 05:43 PM
Water is wet....Suck on that...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!w2

I Am Right
9/17/2009, 07:48 PM
Why should I care what you pump out of an assassinated Egyptian president?

Ha, Ha!

Echoes
9/18/2009, 10:05 PM
<----- Geologist working on his Master's.

Although I don't know to many specifics about Ogallala other then just the general it's getting sucked dry, I know plenty about groundwater and how the hydrologic system works.

In school, we studied the Arbuckle-Simpson pretty damn extensively... It's a bad, bad deal. Make no mistake, water is going to be a HUGE deal in the next 30 years.

We are going to run out, period. That's all there is to it. Everyone worries about us running out of oil, but in mine and most of the people I go to class/study under water is much more of a threat.

You guys wanna be rich? Buy water rights now. As many and as much as you can. If you plan on being around 20 more years, you will see that investment mature 10x over easily.

Noone ever thinks about water now because we all have what seems to be an abundance. You have no idea how bad city infrastructure and desert irrigation is for us, and unless technology really breaks through (I.E., desalination plants become 100x more efficient then they are now). We are screwed.

Fraggle145
9/18/2009, 11:24 PM

Although I don't know to many specifics about Ogallala other then just the general it's getting sucked dry, I know plenty about groundwater and how the hydrologic system works.

In school, we studied the Arbuckle-Simpson pretty damn extensively... It's a bad, bad deal. Make no mistake, water is going to be a HUGE deal in the next 30 years.

We are going to run out, period. That's all there is to it. Everyone worries about us running out of oil, but in mine and most of the people I go to class/study under water is much more of a threat.

You guys wanna be rich? Buy water rights now. As many and as much as you can. If you plan on being around 20 more years, you will see that investment mature 10x over easily.

Noone ever thinks about water now because we all have what seems to be an abundance. You have no idea how bad city infrastructure and desert irrigation is for us, and unless technology really breaks through (I.E., desalination plants become 100x more efficient then they are now). We are screwed.

The biggest problem with Oklahoma and the way it treats water is that it refuses to treat above ground and below ground water as the same entity, i.e., they are inextricably linked.

I Am Right
9/20/2009, 09:26 PM
Simple answer=======RAIN

Sooner_Havok
9/20/2009, 09:34 PM

No one thinks about it because you can't see it.

Mixer!
9/21/2009, 10:34 PM
Ask T Boone.

bent rider
9/22/2009, 03:13 PM
Aquifer is being drained at an unsustainable rate. The move to more irrigated corn for ethanol (rather than wheat or forage) is not going to help at all.

In India, the situation is even more dire.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8197287.stm?lsf

Chuck Bao
9/22/2009, 04:24 PM
The grab for water is scary.

I looked at one of the maps and my family's farm is in the Antlers aquifer.

The old Madill-Ardmore road runs through my family's farm and there is a well that had watered the horses making the trip, back before there were cars. For the first time in more than 100 years that well went dry. There is a spring fed pond nearby and nobody remembers it ever going dry.

I am so confused about water rights. I got licenses for water wells on my places. But, I don't need the water because I have plenty of livestock ponds and I don't irrigate by fields. It is pretty sad that there is nothing I can do about protecting the ground water and not be selfish in joining in on the draining of it.

royalfan5
9/22/2009, 05:33 PM
Aquifer is being drained at an unsustainable rate. The move to more irrigated corn for ethanol (rather than wheat or forage) is not going to help at all.

In India, the situation is even more dire.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8197287.stm?lsf

To be fair, there is way too much wheat out there right now, and corn processed into ethanol also yields a very high quality livestock feed for cattle and hogs.

CK Sooner
9/22/2009, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't be worried. They need to start getting water from the ocean and purify it and take the salt out.

Chuck Bao
9/22/2009, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't be worried. They need to start getting water from the ocean and purify it and take the salt out.

You do realize how much energy that takes, right?

I Am Right
9/22/2009, 07:13 PM
Think they wanted the water from our rivers. I think...

You would think, however the water in our creeks and streams are owned by the 5 civilized tribes, or maybe it is the bottom or our creeks and streams, I am not sure.

I Am Right
9/22/2009, 07:14 PM
You do realize how much energy that takes, right?

Expensive, Gold plated water.

I Am Right
9/22/2009, 07:19 PM
To be fair, there is way too much wheat out there right now, and corn processed into ethanol also yields a very high quality livestock feed for cattle and hogs.

The only and I repeat only way to make ethanol cost effective is to pump more of our money into it, and it fails as a good fuel for farm and industry, and if you live in one of our many urban centers you won't care. Corn eaten by livestock turns into methane.

royalfan5
9/22/2009, 08:08 PM
The only and I repeat only way to make ethanol cost effective is to pump more of our money into it, and it fails as a good fuel for farm and industry, and if you live in one of our many urban centers you won't care. Corn eaten by livestock turns into methane.
I've got several million bushels of corn to sell over the next year. Farmers are going to grow a lot of it irregardless of what people think of corn and ethanol. Plus, ethanol blending is the about the only way our refiners can make money at the moment due to the current margin situations. Ethanol blending provides positive support to the domestic oil industry as well as agriculture and the most current up to date plants do produce a net energy positive effect. Google to the work of Ken Cassman, Adam Liska, and Dick Perrin at UNL, and their sustainability models.

I Am Right
9/23/2009, 10:54 AM
Sorry Royal, Ethanol cost more to produce that the benefits received.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 03:48 PM

using corn, yes...

I Am Right
9/23/2009, 03:50 PM
using corn, yes...

Good point yes, but talking about corn.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 04:00 PM
Good point yes, but talking about corn.

First thing I do when I get to the State Fair is get an ear of roasted corn. They always ask, "You want butter?" WTF!?!?! Yes I want ****ing butter, don't be a bitch!

royalfan5
9/23/2009, 04:14 PM

No it doesn't. Have you participated on any of the scientific and economic research on the subject, or are you just parroting what you hear from the media?

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 04:20 PM
No it doesn't. Have you participated on any of the scientific and economic research on the subject, or are you just parroting what you hear from the media?

Well I don't know about that guy, but I did read that Fraggle's algae can make more bio-fuel, acre for acre.

royalfan5
9/23/2009, 04:31 PM
Well I don't know about that guy, but I did read that Fraggle's algae can make more bio-fuel, acre for acre.

That's true, but corn based ethanol is still providing a net energy gain, especially when combined with livestock feeding. You have to consider the additional livestock feeding in the midwest helps to displace fossil fuels in the form of fertilizer inputs as well.

Sooner_Havok
9/23/2009, 04:34 PM
That's true, but corn based ethanol is still providing a net energy gain, especially when combined with livestock feeding. You have to consider the additional livestock feeding in the midwest helps to displace fossil fuels in the form of fertilizer inputs as well.

Well, you seem to you what your talking about, while I don't. So I ain't gonna say your full of it. :D

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/23/2009, 04:37 PM
You would think, however the water in our creeks and streams are owned by the 5 civilized tribes, or maybe it is the bottom or our creeks and streams, I am not sure.

Pretty sure thats not correct (at least in western OK). I talked with someone at the water resources board about water rights and they said the property owner has the rights to stream water. If the C of E builds a lake, thats another story.

the_ouskull
9/24/2009, 07:07 PM

Right, 'cause nobody's thought of that yet. Teams of scientists working 'round the clock to solve issues like that, and YOU came up with the solution...? Give me a f*cking break.

And people think I'M in love with myself... Wow.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
9/24/2009, 07:07 PM

Ethanol's a dream, and a dumb one.

Sin,
Daniel Tosh

Frozen Sooner
9/25/2009, 01:51 AM

There you go with your superior knowledge not letting anyone have an opinion. How dare you flash your high-falutin' education around like that?