PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford's Insurance policy?

Denver_Sooner
9/16/2009, 04:08 PM
So he takes out an insurance policy for his throwing arm. I'm guessing this is covered by Lloyds of London right?

How much do you think the face amount of the policy is? Millions? An annuity of perpituity?

Just curious if there are any Insurance guru's out there that can give me some decent insight into this.

Thanks!

Jello Biafra
9/16/2009, 04:11 PM
hmmm lets start our own rumor right now....

he takes out the policy 6 months ago.
fakes the injury
collects the insurance for 5 million
plays 2 more years for THE U.
gets his masters in law
the end

Denver_Sooner
9/16/2009, 07:56 PM
Takes a part time job at Big Red Sports & Imports in ummm "Management"

bluedogok
9/16/2009, 10:04 PM
Typically the policy only pays if you have a "career ending" injury, an injury that can affect your draft position generally doesn't pay...but I bet Bradford's dad would know better since he is in the insurance business. There was a story on the news down here about both Bradford and McCoy and the "players insurance" and they even had an interview with Mr. Bradford talking about it in "general" terms.

John Kochtoston
9/16/2009, 10:09 PM
http://oudaily.com/weblogs/sports-desk-blog/2009/sep/13/insurance-option-makes-it-easier-top-athletes-stay/

Just a little something I whipped up ...

Oldnslo
9/17/2009, 09:11 AM
Anybody can get disability insurance. I have some. Frankly, if Sam had only $1M, he was way underinsured.

As with any insurance policy, it all depends on what the contract says. As Brother Bluedog states, most policies require a pretty horrid injury before they'll kick in. However, if we all remember the Lesson of Boz, some policies are more... liberal.

Mine, FWIW, doesn't require me to be a complete feeb before payment. However, I'd have to be pretty bad off. The policies did become more restrictive when some enterprising folks started using them as supplemental retirment funds. As in, "hey, I cain't do this no mo', so pay up".