PDA

View Full Version : Drinking age of 21 ignores reality, and doesn't work

Okla-homey
9/16/2009, 07:46 AM
For the record, for decades, I've thought the same thing this guy writes below.

Discuss? :pop:

Drinking age of 21 doesn't work

by John M. McCardell, Jr.
Special to CNN

Editor's note: John M. McCardell, Jr., president emeritus at Middlebury College, is founder and president of Choose Responsibility, a nonprofit organization that seeks to engage the public in debate over the effects of the 21-year-old drinking age.

(CNN) -- One year ago, a group of college and university presidents and chancellors, eventually totaling 135, issued a statement that garnered national attention.

The "Amethyst Initiative" put a debate proposition before the public -- "Resolved: That the 21-year-old drinking age is not working." It offered, in much the way a grand jury performs its duties, sufficient evidence for putting the proposition to the test. It invited informed and dispassionate public debate and committed the signatory institutions to encouraging that debate. And it called on elected officials not to continue assuming that, after 25 years, the status quo could not be challenged, even improved.

One year later, the drinking age debate continues, and new research reinforces the presidential impulse. Just this summer a study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry revealed that, among college-age males, binge drinking is unchanged from its levels of 1979; that among non-college women it has increased by 20 percent; and that among college women it has increased by 40 percent.

Remarkably, the counterintuitive conclusion drawn by the investigators, and accepted uncritically by the media, including editorials in The New York Times and The Washington Post is that the study proves that raising the drinking age to 21 has been a success.

More recently, a study of binge drinking published in the Journal of the American Medical Association announced that "despite efforts at prevention, the prevalence of binge drinking among college students is continuing to rise, and so are the harms associated with it."

Worse still, a related study has shown that habits formed at 18 die hard: "For each year studied, a greater percentage of 21 to 24 year-olds [those who were of course once 18, 19, and 20] engaged in binge drinking and driving under the influence of alcohol."

Yet, in the face of mounting evidence that those young adults age 18 to 20 toward whom the drinking age law has been directed are routinely -- indeed in life- and health-threatening ways -- violating it, there remains a belief in the land that a minimum drinking age of 21 has been a "success." And elected officials are periodically reminded of a provision in the 1984 law that continues to stifle any serious public debate in our country's state legislative chambers: Any state that sets its drinking age lower than 21 forfeits 10 percent of its annual federal highway appropriation.

But it's not 1984 anymore.

This statement may seem obvious, but not necessarily. In 1984 Congress passed and the president signed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act. The Act, which raised the drinking age to 21 under threat of highway fund withholding, sought to address the problem of drunken driving fatalities. And indeed, that problem was serious.

States that lowered their ages during the 1970s and did nothing else to prepare young adults to make responsible decisions about alcohol witnessed an alarming increase in alcohol-related traffic fatalities. It was as though the driving age were lowered but no drivers education were provided. The results were predictable.

Now, 25 years later, we are in a much different, and better, place. Thanks to the effective public advocacy of organizations like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, we are far more aware of the risks of drinking and driving. Automobiles are much safer.

Seatbelts and airbags are mandatory. The "designated driver" is now a part of our vocabulary. And more and more states are mandating ignition interlocks for first-time DUI offenders, perhaps the most effective way to get drunken drivers off the road.

And the statistics are encouraging. Alcohol-related fatalities have declined over the last 25 years. Better still, they have declined in all age groups, though the greatest number of deaths occurs at age 21, followed by 22 and 23. We are well on the way to solving a problem that vexed us 25 years ago.

The problem today is different. The problem today is reckless, goal-oriented alcohol consumption that all too often takes place in clandestine locations, where enforcement has proven frustratingly difficult. Alcohol consumption among young adults is not taking place in public places or public view or in the presence of other adults who might help model responsible behavior. But we know it is taking place.

If not in public, then where? The college presidents who signed the Amethyst Initiative know where. It happens in "pre-gaming" sessions in locked dorm rooms where students take multiple shots of hard alcohol in rapid succession, before going to a social event where alcohol is not served. It happens in off-campus apartments beyond college boundaries and thus beyond the presidents' authority; and it happens in remote fields to which young adults must drive.

And the Amethyst presidents know the deadly result: Of the 5,000 lives lost to alcohol each year by those under 21, more than 60 percent are lost OFF the roadways, according to the National Institute of Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse.

The principal problem of 2009 is not drunken driving. The principal problem of 2009 is clandestine binge drinking.

That is why the Amethyst presidents believe a public debate is so urgent. The law does not say drink responsibly or drink in moderation. It says don't drink. To those affected by it, those who in the eyes of the law are, in every other respect legal adults, it is Prohibition. And it is incomprehensible.

The principal impediment to public debate is the 10 percent highway penalty. That penalty should be waived for those states that choose to try something different, which may turn out to be something better. But merely adjusting the age -- up or down -- is not really the way to make a change.

We should prepare young adults to make responsible decisions about alcohol in the same way we prepare them to operate a motor vehicle: by first educating and then licensing, and permitting them to exercise the full privileges of adulthood so long as they demonstrate their ability to observe the law.

Licensing would work like drivers education -- it would involve a permit, perhaps graduated, allowing the holder the privilege of purchasing, possessing and consuming alcohol, as each state determined, so long as the holder had passed an alcohol education course and observed the alcohol laws of the issuing state.

Most of the rest of the world has come out in a different place on the drinking age. The United States is one of only four countries -- the others are Indonesia, Mongolia and Palau -- with an age as high as 21. All others either have no minimum age or have a lower age, generally 18, with some at 16.

Young adults know that. And, in their heart of hearts, they also know that a law perceived as unjust, a law routinely violated, can over time breed disrespect for law in general.

Slowly but surely we may be seeing a change in attitude. This summer, Dr. Morris Chafetz, a distinguished psychiatrist, a member of the presidential commission that recommended raising the drinking age, and the founder of the National Institute for Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse admitted that supporting the higher drinking age is "the most regrettable decision of my entire professional career." This remarkable statement did not receive the attention it merited.

Alcohol is a reality in the lives of young adults. We can either try to change the reality -- which has been our principal focus since 1984, by imposing Prohibition on young adults 18 to 20 -- or we can create the safest possible environment for the reality.

A drinking age minimum of 21 has not changed the reality. It's time to try something different.

It's not 1984 anymore.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of John M. McCardell Jr.

1890MilesToNorman
9/16/2009, 07:56 AM
The feds take away yer money with no strings attached but when yer state wants some of it back there are ropes attached. Isn't that violating some kind of racketeering laws er sumptin? :P

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2009, 08:21 AM
So, what should the drinking age be Homes?

GottaHavePride
9/16/2009, 09:19 AM
Werd, Homey.

It's the total prohibition that's creating a really stupid attitude toward drinking in this country.

In most of Europe, it's only illegal to SELL alcohol to people under the age of 16 (usually). There's also in many cases a distinction where at 16 they can purchase beer / wine, but can't buy distilled spirits until 18.

People under 16 (over there) aren't prohibited from having and consuming alcohol - you just can't buy it yourself, and you generally can't consume it in PUBLIC if you're below the age limit.

So what's the difference? It means that over there, it's just another option of something to drink. Whereas over here, having and drinking it is illegal, so when a kid gets the opportunity, they're going to drink as much of it as they possibly can, very very quickly.

sooneron
9/16/2009, 09:20 AM
I would venture to say, 19. I have a hard time with a lot of HS kids having even easier access to booze. Also, if incidents were to decrease, you could lower it another year after it is PROVEN without a doubt that lowering it to 19 was not detrimental.

My Opinion Matters
9/16/2009, 09:21 AM
Werd, Homey.

It's the total prohibition that's creating a really stupid attitude toward drinking in this country.

In most of Europe, it's only illegal to SELL alcohol to people under the age of 16 (usually). There's also in many cases a distinction where at 16 they can purchase beer / wine, but can't buy distilled spirits until 18.

People under 16 (over there) aren't prohibited from having and consuming alcohol - you just can't buy it yourself, and you generally can't consume it in PUBLIC if you're below the age limit.

So what's the difference? It means that over there, it's just another option of something to drink. Whereas over here, having and drinking it is illegal, so when a kid gets the opportunity, they're going to drink as much of it as they possibly can, very very quickly.

America! Love it or leave it!

GottaHavePride
9/16/2009, 09:30 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention - most of Europe does seem to include the rule that you can't buy, have, or consume alcohol on school grounds.

badger
9/16/2009, 09:33 AM
I think it was the federal street money that was at stake if states didn't want to up the drinking age to 21. It was up to the states to raise it from 18 to 21 if they hadn't already, but if they didn't, no street money.

As a state that gets screwed on federal street money anyway, perhaps it is time to find an alternate funding for streets via al-kee-hol that the teens entering the military and the college will drink anyway?

Who knows? Maybe we'll get more money via alcohol taxes than we'd get from the feds anyway!

And like we already know, 18-20 year olds will drink regardless of what the law says.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/16/2009, 09:35 AM
silly logic, but if a 18 year old can go to war and die for his country, he or she should be able to legally purchase beer

GottaHavePride
9/16/2009, 09:35 AM
And like we already know, 18-20 year olds will drink regardless of what the law says.

Yes, but the problem is HOW they'll drink.

It should be more along the lines of "a few beers while watching the game? sure!" instead of "OMFG KEGGER! DRINK TILL WE PUKE AND/OR PASS OUT!"

My Opinion Matters
9/16/2009, 09:36 AM
Meh. 18 and 19 are just as arbitrary and meaningless as 21. There's no magic number.

1890MilesToNorman
9/16/2009, 09:41 AM
We could allow those who are willing to fight and die for our country a few beers but the others should wait until 25 or they will be killing citizens by their stupid decisions. The first group get just a little training in discipline.

OU Adonis
The USA is the only non Muslim country to have a drinking age of 21.

I think the drinking age in restaurants should be 16 with guardian present. 18 to purchase booze on their own.

Parents have absolutely no control on how kids are introduced into adult beverages. Kids stumble on it on a party or hide it from their parents.

GottaHavePride
Raising the age to 25 would make things worse, not better. Prohibition was such a roaring success...

NormanPride
9/16/2009, 09:45 AM
Tax mah beer so that kids can drink? Bah!

Lott's Bandana
9/16/2009, 10:11 AM
We could allow those who are willing to fight and die for our country a few beers but the others should wait until 25 or they will be killing citizens by their stupid decisions. The first group get just a little training in discipline.

When I started my military career, any active duty serviceman/woman could drink on a military installation, regardless of age.

This turned out to be a problem when the local constables began increasingly handing out DUI's to those that chose to make a really poor decision and drive out the gate.

There was a time when DUI/DWI was much more loosely enforced...when it tightened up, the military had to get in line with the civilian world.

picasso
9/16/2009, 10:15 AM

I think the drinking age in restaurants should be 16 with guardian present. 18 to purchase booze on their own.

Parents have absolutely no control on how kids are introduced into adult beverages. Kids stumble on it on a party or hide it from their parents.

No way in hell 16 year old's should be legally allowed to drink.

OU Adonis
9/16/2009, 10:27 AM
No way in hell 16 year old's should be legally allowed to drink.

We allow them to drive without a parent. I am not sure how thats more scary than them having a beer with a parent present.

So I guess you are saying US kids develop at different rates than the rest of the world?

TMcGee86
9/16/2009, 10:33 AM
They just need to invent steering wheels that can detect the amount of BAC through sweatglands in the hands, and install them on all vehicles sold in the US.

Bye bye drunk driving.

Of course I have no idea if that's possible, but it doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. If we can put a man on the moon...

1890MilesToNorman
9/16/2009, 10:37 AM
They just need to invent steering wheels that can detect the amount of BAC through sweatglands in the hands, and install them on all vehicles sold in the US.

Bye bye drunk driving.

Gloves anyone!

Fraggle145
9/16/2009, 10:41 AM
I would venture to say, 19. I have a hard time with a lot of HS kids having even easier access to booze. Also, if incidents were to decrease, you could lower it another year after it is PROVEN without a doubt that lowering it to 19 was not detrimental.

The problem being is once it is lowered again there will be a corresponding spike in drinking in 18-21 year olds just due to the release in pressure and not necessarily do to what would be the norm after everyone gets used to this.

I am all for lowering the drinking age, I agree with Homey's article though, there cant just be an initial pressure release. Should try new plans etc...

TMcGee86
9/16/2009, 10:45 AM
Gloves anyone!

Please, gloves would be illegal under such a scenario. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, just make it where the car must detect something or it shuts down.

No hands on wheel, no go.

Boarder
9/16/2009, 10:53 AM
OK, let me see if I have their argument correct.

1. Drunk driving has gone down across the board, due to MADD and other education factors, so age is not a consideration there.

2. The real problem now is binge drinking.

3. Most binge drinking (or at least the greatest amount of growth) occurs in those age 21 (and right after).

4. Age 21 is on the lowest end of the drinking age.

From that, I would take it that the biggest amount of binge drinking occurs on the lowest end of the drinking age. So, if the drinking age was lowered to 18, the binge drinkers would shift from 21, 22, and 23 to those who are 18, 19, and 20, correct? Is the desire of wanting to drink any different at 17 than 20 (the ages where you just can't wait until it's legal)? I would argue that at 17 it's more, due to immaturity.

Therefore, the drinking age is not the problem. The attitude of "more, more, more, now, now, now" that leads to binge drinking is the problem. Address that and leave the drinking age alone. When the binge drinking statistics for 21 year olds dramatically lower, I may be in favor of lowering the legal age. But, I definitely do not think that lowering the age will lower the binge drinking statistics. By adding more individuals with the binge attitude to the pool of legal buyers, the problem could be expected to increase.

Boarder
9/16/2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, Fraggle kind of said that, too. :D

Fraggle145
9/16/2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Fraggle kind of said that, too. :D

heh I think we are kind of on the same wave length. I'd like to see it lowered, but i think it needs to be well thought out.

The funny thing though is that at 18 you are allowed to vote. And at 18 (and still now) I wouldnt vote for a law to raise my drinking age.

I just think its funny because 18 year-olds were outnumbered and they got ****ed on that deal.

badger
9/16/2009, 11:12 AM
Problem: Binge drinking.

Solution isn't to lower the drinkin' age, I don't think.

My whole thing was that I wasn't looking at the problem as being binge drinking. Rather, I saw it as...

Problem: Lack of highway funds because we don't have enought lobbyist pressure and reps to porkbarrel road funds back to us.

Solution: Scheme our way into convincing the feds that we need more, or find an alternative way to raise the funds.

picasso
9/16/2009, 01:18 PM
We allow them to drive without a parent. I am not sure how thats more scary than them having a beer with a parent present.

So I guess you are saying US kids develop at different rates than the rest of the world?

Not a good comparison. Using that logic we should have parents present for a kid's first roll in the hay.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/16/2009, 01:26 PM
We should raise the drinking age to 25.

That'll show 'em.

badger
9/16/2009, 02:00 PM
Underagers used to cross the Minnesota-Wisconsin border for a drink (referred to affectionately as a "quickie") because it was legal for them to buy alcohol in Wisconsin, while it wasn't legal in Minnesota.

Would underagers consume and purchase alcohol legally if they could?

OUstud
9/16/2009, 02:13 PM
18: beer
21: liquor

And enforce it!

yermom
9/16/2009, 02:41 PM
OK, let me see if I have their argument correct.

1. Drunk driving has gone down across the board, due to MADD and other education factors, so age is not a consideration there.

2. The real problem now is binge drinking.

3. Most binge drinking (or at least the greatest amount of growth) occurs in those age 21 (and right after).

4. Age 21 is on the lowest end of the drinking age.

From that, I would take it that the biggest amount of binge drinking occurs on the lowest end of the drinking age. So, if the drinking age was lowered to 18, the binge drinkers would shift from 21, 22, and 23 to those who are 18, 19, and 20, correct? Is the desire of wanting to drink any different at 17 than 20 (the ages where you just can't wait until it's legal)? I would argue that at 17 it's more, due to immaturity.

Therefore, the drinking age is not the problem. The attitude of "more, more, more, now, now, now" that leads to binge drinking is the problem. Address that and leave the drinking age alone. When the binge drinking statistics for 21 year olds dramatically lower, I may be in favor of lowering the legal age. But, I definitely do not think that lowering the age will lower the binge drinking statistics. By adding more individuals with the binge attitude to the pool of legal buyers, the problem could be expected to increase.

that's not what the article said. it said that they were still binge drinking once they hit legal age because that's how they did it when they were 18 because they had to hide out in fields or wherever and they kept the same habits

is an 18 year old an adult, or not? that's the question.

personally, i think age is arbitrary. it's all based on statistics, or something, not reality. one person could easily be more mature at 14 then someone else at 18

Boarder
9/16/2009, 03:07 PM
They said that the largest number of deaths occur in 21, 22, and 23. And the most deaths seem to come from binge drinking (the real problem). Therefore, the binge drinking seems to come from 21, 22, 23. Sort of.

Frankly, they didn't make a good argument for dropping the age. They just said binge drinking was a problem. So, rather than address the problem first and drop the age once fixed, they want to drop the age first. I'm against that.

StoopTroup
9/16/2009, 03:25 PM
I think they should get rid of the drinking age altogether. Sometimes I get to drunk to get out of my car and I really need to send one of the kids in to the Liquor Store...but I can't. So I have to just get them out of the car and leave them in the parking lot while I go inside. I don't want to get in trouble leaving them in the car.

It would really make my life much easier. I'm just glad they have learned to pour my drinks for me. It really makes texting easier when I'm cruising around. Both kids can get the car started for me too. Hopefully the court will let me take that machine off the ignition in a few years.

Jello Biafra
9/16/2009, 03:36 PM
If we can put a man on the moon...

we dint....

Scott D
9/16/2009, 03:36 PM
Kids here celebrate their 19th birthday's in Windsor because Ontario's drinking age is 19, so what's a trip across the river....oh wait, it's not as easy a trip now that they are required to have a passport. :D

I drank more and definitely more in binge quantities between the ages of 15-18, I only bought a 6 pack on my 21st birthday because I was legally allowed to. I think it might have lasted me two weeks. Now, a sixer can last me longer than that.

Jello Biafra
9/16/2009, 03:40 PM
my take...not that it means anything because gawd knows no one should take advice from me when it comes to tha drinkage...

but, when i was sent to colorado from basic training, the legal age to drink 3.2 was 18 and 21 for anything stronger. i simply drank more 3.2. not a big deal but i was seriously pissed when i got to germany 13 days after my 21st birfday and found out if you were tall enough to reach a bar, you were old enough to drink....after i became legal, i slowed down on the hooch.

49r
9/16/2009, 03:47 PM
I'd drive to wisconsin for a quickie too...just sayin'

picasso
9/16/2009, 05:08 PM
I'd drive to wisconsin for a quickie too...just sayin'

we zip in, we zip out.

Okla-homey
9/16/2009, 07:18 PM
Look folks.

At age 18, you can buy a house, a car, a gun, get a credit card and go into debt, sign a binding contract, vote in local, state and national elections, marry w/out anyone's permission, serve as legal guardian for your Aunt Margaret who has Alzheimers, adopt a baby, serve in the Armed Forces of the United States, and if you commit a crime, you are tried as an adult and if convicted of that crime, you go to big boy prison, not some juvenile detention facility.

Now, I ask you, WTF can't a person about whom all of the above applies buy a flippin' beer? or tequila?

I submit the fact an adult who is 18 to 20 years old cannot do so legally in any state in this Union is absurd to the point of being surreal.

Now, I know, some 18 y/o's aren't very mature. But to draw an arbitrary bright line at the 21st birthday is essentially stating that because this adult has survived through his or her 19th and 20th year without killing his or herself, said person is sufficiently mature to handle alcohol is irrational and utterly preposterous.

And you know what? When I was 18, we could buy beer in Oklahoma (c.1978), and we could, and often did, scoot over from Ardmore to Muenster TX -- a skosh west of Gainesville, and buy and consume liquor at 18. Legally.

And you know what else? Nobody died. Most of my crew that used to do that went on to college or a trade and made a good life for themselves.

IMHO, if we were really serious about making the highways safer, we'd raise the drivers license age to 18. But we don't. We just play this ridiculous game that states that since adults under 21 can't legally purchase or consume alcohol, we're all somehow safer.

misplaced_sooner
9/16/2009, 08:22 PM

I agree 100%. At the age of 16, allow the consumption of alcohol in the presence of a legal guardian. That means a parent/grandparent/etc, not some 'dude' thats 25.

I was probably 14 when I was first introduced to alcohol. I was permitted to have a beer or two while i was out fishing. Did I binge drink occasionally during/after HS...yes. But, the phase was over very quickly.

As a military member, we deal with "underage" drinking alot. I don't like it and think anybody, under 21 in the military, should be allowed to drink ON-BASE and not leave base. I'm a big believer in personal accountability, give them the opporunity to show some responsiblity. I depend on these "kids" to back me up....they should be able to enjoy a nice cold guinness with me.

I Am Right
9/16/2009, 08:34 PM
You listen to CNN?

misplaced_sooner
9/16/2009, 08:51 PM
Me?

stoopified
9/16/2009, 09:00 PM
Werd, Homey.

So what's the difference? It means that over there, it's just another option of something to drink. Whereas over here, having and drinking it is illegal, so when a kid gets the opportunity, they're going to drink as much of it as they possibly can, very very quickly.I have no idea wether the drinking age should be changed but I do know that if we start following Europe's lead then maryjane and heroin and many other things will be legalized.I think we have enough problems without adding to them.

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2009, 10:02 PM
silly logic, but if a 18 year old can go to war and die for his country, he or she should be able to legally purchase beer

Not silly at all Step; i agree totally.

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2009, 10:03 PM
Raising the age to 25 would make things worse, not better. Prohibition was such a roaring success...

I agree; hell i drank more before i was 21 than i did when i turned 21

LosAngelesSooner
9/17/2009, 04:25 AM
If you're old enough to serve our country and defend it, then you are old enough to lift a glass and toast our flag.

Period.

badger
9/17/2009, 07:33 AM
many of you are making the "serve your country" argument. What if we only extended the privilege of drinking to those serving our country?

That way, they're in a structured, military environment and not in a college animal house.

Okla-homey
9/17/2009, 07:38 AM
many of you are making the "serve your country" argument. What if we only extended the privilege of drinking to those serving our country?

That way, they're in a structured, military environment and not in a college animal house.

Such a law would be struck down in court on equal protection grounds. The same way laws in some states specifying different drinking ages for men and women were.

badger
9/17/2009, 07:40 AM
Such a law would be struck down in court on equal protection grounds. The same way laws in some states specifying different drinking ages for men and women were.

Ja, I know, but it's still a nice thought.

Okla-homey
9/17/2009, 07:54 AM
Ja, I know, but it's still a nice thought.

Heck man, don't get me wrong, I'd restrict a lot of social privileges and civil rights to veterans if I were Emperor. Especially voting.;)

yermom
9/17/2009, 10:29 AM

The argument is that someone is old enough to enlist, not that enlisting should give them the right

at 18, Johnny is mature enough to decide to die for his country, mature enough to be trained with fully automatic weapons, but drinking a beer might be too much for his unexperienced brain