PDA

View Full Version : Mike Stoops

tfoolry
9/15/2009, 02:02 PM
OU needs to arrange a series with Iowa......

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090914/SPORTS020502/909150346/1093/sports0205

Hawkeye football: Mother of Arizona coach is eager for return to Kinnick
By ANDREW LOGUE • [email protected] • September 14, 2009

Iowa City, Ia. — Dee Stoops is stoked about her first visit to Kinnick Stadium's infamous pink locker room.

That's where she'll be Saturday afternoon, huddled with the Arizona football team, listening as head coach Mike Stoops gives his pregame pep talk.

"They're all intense," Dee Stoops said of her sons — Mike, Bob, Mark and Ron Jr. "Michael is probably more demonstrative. He shows his fire." The intensity level will rise when Mike Stoops returns to his alma mater for a 2:30 p.m. showdown with Iowa.

He was one of three brothers, including Wildcats defensive coordinator Mark, who helped revive the Hawkeye program under former coach Hayden Fry, and several family members are treating the occasions as a homecoming.

"It'll be odd for them to go out and root against Iowa," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said. "But they're going back because of all the great feelings. We all still have a lot of fond and fabulous memories from our time there."

Bob Stoops, who will be coaching the Sooners against Tulsa this weekend, began the legacy when he played defensive back for the Hawkeyes from 1979-82.

Mike was a strong safety from 1982-84. Mark played from 1986-88.

Throughout the decade, Dee and her husband, Ron Sr., would make the 10-hour trip from their home in Youngstown, Ohio, to Iowa City.

"We would drive all night," Dee recalled. "I loved bringing ham sandwiches and things for the kids to eat."

They formed a friendship with Kirk Ferentz, who was then an assistant under Fry.

"We used to park our car at coach Ferentz's house and walk to the game," Dee said. "He was very good to us."

Click here for this week's Iowa and Arizona two-deep depth charts

Ferentz owns a 72-53 record in 11 seasons as the Hawkeyes' head coach.

Mike Stoops is 27-34 after inheriting a downtrodden Arizona program in 2004.

"I like our character, our toughness," Stoops said of this year's 2-0 Wildcats. "We're just better off than we've ever been."

Those words remind Dee of how her sons helped Fry reverse Iowa's football fortunes, and Bob Stoops' early struggles before leading Oklahoma to a national championship in 2000.

"You go through the highs and the lows in this game," she said. "I guess I've been cheering for underdogs all my life, and they've always come to the top."

All three Stoops brothers wore No. 41 for the Hawkeyes. And when Ron Sr., a high school coach, died of a heart attack in 1988, he was buried in a black and gold jersey.

"All of us in our family have warm feelings about the University of Iowa," Ron Jr. said. "We care for them."

Dee is prepared to tackle mixed emotions.

"The people were wonderful," she said. "I follow every game of Iowa. I always watch them when they're on TV. I'm a very big supporter of coach Ferentz and the Iowa program."

On Saturday, however, she'll be in the visiting locker room with Mike and Mark.

"I finally get to hear them talk to their team, and oh, it's just exhilarating," Dee said. "I just love to see them in their own environment."

Fry once explained that he wanted pink walls for the visitor's locker room, because he thought it would have a mellowing affect on opponents.

Dee Stoops doesn't expect the color scheme to dampen the mood of Mike, Mark and the Wildcats.

"They are fierce competitors," she said. "If you know my four boys, they're all very similar. And they're a lot like their father."

badger
9/15/2009, 02:09 PM
Click here for this week's Iowa and Arizona two-deep depth charts

I'm clicking, but I'm no not seein' NUTHIN! :mad:

:P

For those who are curious here's the depth chart. (http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/99999999/SPORTS020502/308120008)

ouduckhunter
9/15/2009, 03:43 PM
Nice story!

Salt City Sooner
9/15/2009, 05:29 PM
OU needs to arrange a series with Iowa......
Won't happen until Iowa has a new AD (if it happens even then).

badger
9/15/2009, 05:50 PM
Won't happen until Iowa has a new AD (if it happens even then).

Translation: Iowa never schedules worthwhile non-conference opponents... except perhaps Iowa State... but not really.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2009, 05:54 PM
Bob told a few stories during his presser today about Iowa having 10 years of Stoops' playing safety and their Mom sitting in the same seat, each and every game, hearing opposing Big-10 fans say, "When will that kid ever graduate?"

SanDiegoSoonerGal
9/15/2009, 10:55 PM
God bless Mrs. Stoops!

Salt City Sooner
9/15/2009, 11:07 PM
Translation: Iowa never schedules worthwhile non-conference opponents... except perhaps Iowa State... but not really.
Actually, what I was referring to was that Iowa's AD at the time that OU hired Stoops raised a huge stink over it, thinking that he had the prodigal son in the bag until Joe C. swooped in & got his man. He went as far as to call Stoops a liar over the situation & promised that as long as he was at Iowa, there was no chance of scheduling OU. Thing is, I just looked & he's now the AD at Stanford, so I guess there actually would be a shot at it happening now unless Bowlsby said something in UI's new AD on the way out the door.

Frozen Sooner
9/15/2009, 11:10 PM

I don't think that's the reason...

I Am Right
9/16/2009, 09:53 AM
nice story

boomermagic
9/16/2009, 10:17 AM
I like Mike Stoops If Bob were to leave I would be in favor of him taking over...

unbiasedtruth
9/16/2009, 10:21 AM
I like Mike Stoops If Brent were to leave I would be in favor of him taking over...

fify..... ;)

Sooner in Tampa
9/16/2009, 10:22 AM
God bless Mrs. Stoops!

This!

badger
9/16/2009, 10:27 AM
I said that as a joke, not as fact, btw. We should be so lucky as to have the riveting, compelling non-conference schedule that Iowa has this year (Northern Iowa, Iowa State, Arizona) or perhaps their nerve-wracking 2008 non-conference schedule of Maine, FIU and Iowa State, or the attrociously excruciating 2007 non-conference schedule of Northern Illinois, Syrcause and Iowa State. I just cannot fathom the thought of having to play Iowa State every year, let alone those other football powerhouse programs. No wonder the Big 10 is so highly-regarded in the national spotlight! It's all about the scheduling!

;)

PS: I did not arbitrarily stop at 2007 like Texas fans like to arbitrarily stop at "3 of the last 4" instead of "3 of the last 4...5...6... NINE!" Iowa's non-conference schedules before then sucked as well.

sooneron
9/16/2009, 10:55 AM
Ferentz owns a 72-53 record in 11 seasons as the Hawkeyes' head coach.

Those people need to put down the kool - aid. Ferentz is painfully average.

stoopified
9/16/2009, 05:18 PM
Those people need to put down the kool - aid. Ferentz is painfully average.Actually the 72-53 record PROVES what a GOOD coach Kirk is.Bob said that even if Iowa had offered him the job he would have turned it down because at OU you have the resources snd facilities to be be highly sucessful and Iowa doesn't.Farentz is second only to Fry in Hawkeye history in terms of wins,he is also 3rd in winning % among Iowa coaches who have a coached at least 60 games.When it comes to Hawkeye football think Baylor for comparison.One great coach(Fry of Iowa,Teaff of Baylor) and a lot of mediocrity.

For the record the Iowa AD has nobody to blame BUT himself.He told Bob he was ON THE SHORT LIST,Joe C said THE JOB IS YOURS IF YOU WANT IT.

tfoolry
9/16/2009, 06:06 PM
I wonder what Iowa would've accomplished had Stoops been hired up there & brought his original coaching staff including Leach with Heupel as QB in the mediocre Big 10(11)? ....or if Schneider would've taken over there? They wouldn't have had Blake's players but they would've had better guys than what K-State had originally. Also, what kind of success would OU have had without Stoops? :pop:

stoopified
9/16/2009, 08:44 PM
Also, what kind of success would OU have had without Stoops? :pop:Bite your tongue.BTW I doubt Leach would have come to Iowa,I'm thinking it would have been a lateral move from UK.I do wonder how many of Stoops original staff would have joined him at Iowa?I recall Mangino and Venables both saying IT's OU how can you turn it down? I do realize that they also in laege part left KSU to join Bob but still...Iowa?

I think Venables would have stayed at KSU and been the D-co-ordinator and then would have been the replacement for Snyder.I think Mangino would have ended up as o-co-ordinator at KSU before getting the KU HC spot.Leach could have ended up at someplace like Tulsa as o-coordinator ,turning out offensive juggernauts for the Hurricane before becoming the headman and VOILA TU becomes what TT is in this universe.

The big question becomes.who the hell would have landed in Norman? I have no idea and I shudder to ponder that scenario.I hate to say it but the hot headcoach(looking to move up) at that time was Dennis Franchione ,then at TCU.Considering his struggles at aTm ,the mere thought makes me ill.

OUAlumni1990
9/16/2009, 09:07 PM
"Michael is probably more demonstrative. He shows his fire."

So thats where the 'fire' went.

sooneron
9/16/2009, 09:16 PM
Actually the 72-53 record PROVES what a GOOD coach Kirk is.Bob said that even if Iowa had offered him the job he would have turned it down because at OU you have the resources snd facilities to be be highly sucessful and Iowa doesn't.Farentz is second only to Fry in Hawkeye history in terms of wins,he is also 3rd in winning % among Iowa coaches who have a coached at least 60 games.When it comes to Hawkeye football think Baylor for comparison.One great coach(Fry of Iowa,Teaff of Baylor) and a lot of mediocrity.

For the record the Iowa AD has nobody to blame BUT himself.He told Bob he was ON THE SHORT LIST,Joe C said THE JOB IS YOURS IF YOU WANT IT.

I disagree. The guy gets way too much credit for playing in that league. A league where if you're decent, you can win 70% of your games. Kirk aint even close. Even with the ooc doormat scheduling.

stoopified
9/16/2009, 10:20 PM
I disagree. The guy gets way too much credit for playing in that league. A league where if you're decent, you can win 70% of your games. Kirk aint even close. Even with the ooc doormat scheduling.I would buy that arguement IF Iowa had a history of that but they don't.For what Iowa is, Kirk is doing a very good job.Having said that ,I admit Farentz would not be on my list to coach at OU.

IMHO Farentz is as good a coach as Mike Gundy but doesn't get as much credit.

SicEmBaylor
9/16/2009, 11:03 PM
When it comes to Hawkeye football think Baylor for comparison.One great coach(Fry of Iowa,Teaff of Baylor) and a lot of mediocrity.

Hayden Fry, coincidentally, is a Baylor grad and former player. He and Teaff remind me a lot of each other.

sooneron
9/16/2009, 11:05 PM
IMHO Farentz is as good a coach as Mike Gundy but doesn't get as much credit.

And I can buy that. I just don't think either coach should get much credit.:D

humblesooner
9/17/2009, 04:48 PM
Actually the 72-53 record PROVES what a GOOD coach Kirk is.Bob said that even if Iowa had offered him the job he would have turned it down because at OU you have the resources snd facilities to be be highly sucessful and Iowa doesn't.Farentz is second only to Fry in Hawkeye history in terms of wins,he is also 3rd in winning % among Iowa coaches who have a coached at least 60 games.When it comes to Hawkeye football think Baylor for comparison.One great coach(Fry of Iowa,Teaff of Baylor) and a lot of mediocrity.

That is an average record of 6.5 wins and 4.8 losses per year.
Just barely .500 ball over 11 years.
Not impressive even if he was at Iowa State.