PDA

View Full Version : Leadership

44BluesExplosion
9/15/2009, 11:17 AM
In the dark days, we had a guy named Justin Fuente taking snaps. By today's standards, he wasn't much of a talent. He had a strong arm, but lacked that 6th sense that all great QBs seem to have. In all honesty, he wouldn't make a Sooner team fielded since 2000.

He did have one thing though... He was a leader. A great leader. Kids listened to him and he wasn't afraid to hurt feelings. Get your job done and he told you... Screw around and he told you. It didn't matter who you were.

Sam Bradford, on the other hand, is maybe one of the biggest talents we have ever had at Oklahoma. His arm is stronger than he gets credit for, his accuracy is nothing short of amazing, his release is PERFECT, and the 6th sense is there.... For sure.

Last year, Sam wasn't as much of a leader as he was a talent. Kids listened to him simply because of success. He did not, however, push his thoughts or regulate in the locker room.

BYU was Sam's first real test of character. How would he react on a team level? Understandably, the kid was crushed. I don't think it was second thoughts on the decision made last year, but more thoughts about luck and what all he wanted to accomplish this year. Rather than coach on the sideline, he sulked and watched Landry step up as a leader.

Landry cheered... he pumped up his teammates... He smiled... He had fun... He had a chip on his shoulder. He was a leader... Even if it was over a very under talented team such as ISU.

Sam stepped up as well on the sidelines... He was much more involved with Josh and Landry, he made it appoint to get involved in the locker room, he lead more hurt than he had ever done healthy. He learned...

My point? This injury is going to change Sam. If you thought he was good last year, wait until he comes back... He's going to be amazing. Just a hunch, but every now and then, I'm right.

goingoneight
9/15/2009, 11:20 AM
I guess you missed the part where Sam took his ice pack off and got in the faces of the offense before each possession, right?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/15/2009, 11:22 AM
BYU was Sam's first real test of character. How would he react on a team level? Understandably, the kid was crushed. I don't think it was second thoughts on the decision made last year, but more thoughts about luck and what all he wanted to accomplish this year. Rather than coach on the sideline, he sulked and watched Landry step up as a leader.

My television must have lied to me then

44BluesExplosion
9/15/2009, 11:26 AM
You guys are right... I painted it darker than it was... However, standing with Josh and being involved with the coaching on the sidelines is more impressive than standing in a huddle during time outs.

I was on the sidelines at both games.

And to me (and a few others), at least, Sam was way more involved and way more effective in the ISU game.

Partial Qualifier
9/15/2009, 11:30 AM
So 44Blues, what you're saying is: Sam's more of a cerebral lead-by-example type, Landry's got a little more charisma to which the team seems to respond, and Sam may take a cue from Landry's leadership style -- and it may ultimately make Sam a stronger leader?

44BluesExplosion
9/15/2009, 11:31 AM
Yes... You just stated it in less words... and will less horse****.

Partial Qualifier
9/15/2009, 11:41 AM
I'm always interested to read your opinion.

Sam had to be stunned and dejected in Dallas. Prolly more stunned than anything.

I'm very curious to see Landry versus Tulsa. Idaho State was the real-deal incarnation of East Popcorn State, if there ever was such a thing.

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2009, 11:45 AM
Sam gave up millions to come back and win for his school, He breaks a freshman record for td passes, he wins a heisman, he leads us to the most points ever by football team, he plays against BYU and what people forget is that he 10-14 (and would have been 12-14 if not for the drops) before KW telegraph's playcalling that eventually get's him injured, he goes to the locker room, comes back out to support his team, and even though it's a risk behind this line and his hopes of winning a nc have been greatly reduced, he still decides to come back in 2-4 weeks, but all of that means nothing to the team, because Landry talks a little louder?

My Opinion Matters
9/15/2009, 11:49 AM
Landry's got a little more of the Holy Tebow in him, evidently.

JLEW1818
9/15/2009, 11:51 AM
that's what i hear too

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2009, 11:52 AM
i knew this sort of stupidity would eventually rear it's ugly head; Alot of people. including his teammates take him for granted.

badger
9/15/2009, 11:54 AM
If the sulk you're referring to is when Sam looked upset after BYU scored and kind of appeared to roll his eyes (perhaps to look at the scoreboard), I don't think he was sulking at Landry... because Landry wasn't in the game when BYU scored. Our defense was.

And if I was on the sideline, I'd probably sulk at the fact that OU wasn't ahead for the first time during the game... I was d@mn sure sulking at home!

So anyway, please cite the sulking you're referring to. Sammie and Landry are close to football godliness IMHO for what they've done and what they will do for Sooner Nation.

44BluesExplosion
9/15/2009, 01:16 PM
There's a lot of "fan speak" here... It amazes me that someone would claim that Coach Wilson's play calling resulted in Bradford getting hurt. Asinine... REALLY, really, disgraceful thing to say.

Aside from this...

1. Bradford was very down in the locker room at half time and understandably so... Landry was incredible. He hid all of his fear and apprehension and acted like a leader.

2. Bradford will tell you himself that he is fighting to get out of his shell and become a more vocal leader. I think you just might see one of those ESPN Gameday specials about Bradford and what this injury taught him... and you just might hear him compliment Landry in that same special.

Beyond all of this and from what I've seen and heard, both QBs are as liked and as admired in that locker room as any QB we've ever fielded.

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2009, 02:00 PM
There's a lot of "fan speak" here... It amazes me that someone would claim that Coach Wilson's play calling resulted in Bradford getting hurt. Asinine... REALLY, really, disgraceful thing to say.

Aside from this...

1. Bradford was very down in the locker room at half time and understandably so... Landry was incredible. He hid all of his fear and apprehension and acted like a leader.

2. Bradford will tell you himself that he is fighting to get out of his shell and become a more vocal leader. I think you just might see one of those ESPN Gameday specials about Bradford and what this injury taught him... and you just might hear him compliment Landry in that same special.

Beyond all of this and from what I've seen and heard, both QBs are as liked and as admired in that locker room as any QB we've ever fielded.

I'm sorry, if I believe something I am free to say it. I didnt say that Wilson wanted Bradford hurt, but when he is getting hit from the same blitz scheme 3 plays in a row, you would think he'd do something about it. Shotgun they passed, under center they run. i guess a bunch of 22-23 old football players could not figure that out, huh?

I dont mind Landry being liked and applauded, but Bradford has done everything a leader needs to do in order to command respect from his team, and people telling him he needs to be more like Tebow or Landry is "asinine and very disgraceful".

I start a Sam Bradford adoration thread before the season started, because people complained about a tebow thread; that thing made it to 2 pages before it died and fizzled out; like I said he is not appreciated, and maybe some of the fans don't deserve to have someone as special as Sam.

44BluesExplosion
9/15/2009, 02:05 PM
Admiring Bradford here is just like preaching to the choir. I personally believe he is the best quarterback to ever play for Oklahoma. And I say this after only two years... Of course your thread fell off. What else is there to say?

Blaming Bradford's injury on Coach Wilson shows a lack of character and a general lack of football intelligence. In any case, I'm done. Enjoy your day.

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2009, 02:24 PM
Admiring Bradford here is just like preaching to the choir. I personally believe he is the best quarterback to ever play for Oklahoma. And I say this after only two years... Of course your thread fell off. What else is there to say?

Blaming Bradford's injury on Coach Wilson shows a lack of character and a general lack of football intelligence. In any case, I'm done. Enjoy your day.

I can go for the football intelligence comment; but you have no idea what sort of character I have, and how could you? Next time don't post stupid threads and say justin Fuentes was a better leader than Sam.

Partial Qualifier
9/15/2009, 03:17 PM
LOL.

Pigface1
9/15/2009, 03:24 PM
Come on, I really don't think only passing from shotgun and running under center had anything to do with BYU blitzing weak side three times in a row while OU was in shotgun./sarcasm

OKC-SLC
9/15/2009, 03:37 PM
Landry's got a little more of the Holy Tebow in him, evidently.

NTTAWWT.

cjames317
9/15/2009, 04:04 PM
So now we've got two awesome QBs? Poor Texas.

CK Sooner
9/15/2009, 04:18 PM
You guys are right... I painted it darker than it was... However, standing with Josh and being involved with the coaching on the sidelines is more impressive than standing in a huddle during time outs.

I was on the sidelines at both games.

And to me (and a few others), at least, Sam was way more involved and way more effective in the ISU game.

Me too. I am Bob's secret bodyguard.

soonervegas
9/15/2009, 04:34 PM
Hmmmmm....I don't really know how to feel about this. Let me just state that Sam is the Man......and I want to see him back as soon as possible (Miami) AND I am really excited to see a cocky Landry as a Sophmore, Junior, and Senior.

I am curious to see how cerebral vs. arrogant plays out over the next 3-4 years. Will arrogant take us to the next level, will we stay about the same, or take a step back? Stay tuned.......

goingoneight
9/15/2009, 04:49 PM
Kevin Wilson wasn't supposed to pick up the blitz, the RB, TE and oh, yeah... The OL is supposed to do that.

adoniijahsooner
9/15/2009, 04:49 PM
Hmmmmm....I don't really know how to feel about this. Let me just state that Sam is the Man......and I want to see him back as soon as possible (Miami) AND I am really excited to see a cocky Landry as a Sophmore, Junior, and Senior.

I am curious to see how cerebral vs. arrogant plays out over the next 3-4 years. Will arrogant take us to the next level, will we stay about the same, or take a step back? Stay tuned.......

I don't think Landry Jones is arrogant, I actually like Landry, but we were at the next level last year and the line couldnt punch it in, JI let someone manhandle the ball from his grasp, and Florida made a good play on the Manny Johnson attempt at the goal line; none of that was Sam's fault.

Landry is about to be the beneficiary of some real good recruiting classes, and young talent, and hopefully he won't have all the team issues Sam had when he took over.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/15/2009, 08:54 PM
Kevin Wilson wasn't supposed to pick up the blitz, the RB, TE and oh, yeah... The OL is supposed to do that.

Brown went out for a pass and Jones was on the right side blocking air. I think the "center" is responsible for blitz protection?

OUmillenium
9/16/2009, 10:30 AM

Aside from this...

Wilson was not on the field missing a block but his scheme/playcalling is what allowed our line to be outnumbered repeatedly in predictable situations with no RB/FB to protect Sams back. This after a month of practice to evaluate a brand new line and over 1 full quarter to begin making necessary adjustments to how BYU would attack our QB.

beer4me
9/16/2009, 12:01 PM
:pop:

Partial Qualifier
9/16/2009, 12:53 PM
Armchair diagnosis at it's finest! :D

TXBOOMER
9/16/2009, 01:32 PM
According to Stoops Sam is a great leader. I have heard him say it over and over. Was Sam supposed to run in the locker room while Wilson was coaching them up and do the two bits four bits cheer right after getting his shoulder smashed? I'll take Bob's word about Sam as a leader over a jock sniffer from Austin texass'es opinion any day.

Partial Qualifier
9/16/2009, 01:39 PM
To be fair, 44Blues has more insight into OU football's current state of affairs (especially regarding health/injury status) than the rest of us combined.

Of course Sam is a good leader, nobody said otherwise. Can Sam learn from watching someone with a different leadership style? I believe he can. People trying to read more into this post than that.... are rilly, rilly funnay. Lolz.

adoniijahsooner
9/16/2009, 03:15 PM
To be fair, 44Blues has more insight into OU football's current state of affairs (especially regarding health/injury status) than the rest of us combined.

Of course Sam is a good leader, nobody said otherwise. Can Sam learn from watching someone with a different leadership style? I believe he can. People trying to read more into this post than that.... are rilly, rilly funnay. Lolz.

Yo Partial, I know 44 is your man and all, and I'll let you finish, but Sam Bradford is one of the greatest leaders of all time!!!!
http://tashhunc.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/kanye_west.jpg

Partial Qualifier
9/16/2009, 04:24 PM
:D

ashley
9/16/2009, 08:25 PM
Leadership is overrated in football. Talent and chemistry is much more important.