PDA

View Full Version : Owen Field

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 12:46 PM
Held up incredibly well Saturday.

I remember games prior to the AstroTurf that would turn OF into a bog.

I kept waiting for some sign of the rain on the field and it really never happened, save for a few pieces of sod flying, it never even showed any signs of mud.

Of course, when the game was over and I tried to walk across the grass near Brooks...squish.

Nice to know our field takercareuver is another outstanding cog in our first-class organization.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 12:48 PM
Good point Lott.

We are lucky to have such good facilities. Makes you wonder if Sam would have gotten hurt had he been hit on our field the same way. What kind of turf was Jerry World?

Jello Biafra
9/14/2009, 12:52 PM
afro turf

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2009, 12:58 PM
They talked on the radio about this. They said ISU's white uni's were still white at the end of the game. very impressive.

Lott's Bandana
That field turf stuff made of old tires.

I was gonna think of a funny name, but have to let JB's stand.

olevetonahill
Good point Lott.

We are lucky to have such good facilities. Makes you wonder if Sam would have gotten hurt had he been hit on our field the same way. What kind of turf was Jerry World?

Surface RealGrass Matrix
What ever the hell that means , I copied that from their site

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 12:59 PM
They talked on the radio about this. They said ISU's white uni's were still white at the end of the game. very impressive.

Now that you mention it...that's true.

Bob Barry and Merv actually get a high-five there.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 01:03 PM
Surface RealGrass Matrix
What ever the hell that means , I copied that from their site

I haven't done much research in a long time on playing surfaces. Seems that you'd see a much better consistency on many of these State of the Art Venues.

Back in the day there was grass and like Jello stated Astro Turf. Things have gotten much better over the years. I took a tour of the Dome in New Orleans once and they took us down on the field. it was like a green piece of material glued to concrete. I always wondered why more players weren't taken off in a stretcher in that place.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 01:04 PM

That might be flamebait right there....lol

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 01:13 PM
Here's a link to a NFL Forum about turf. Seems even these guys agree that there is still a problem with consistency of surfaces even in the NFL.

One guy says his HS is getting a new 10-12 million dollar turf change. I see some links about the Realgrass Matrix Olevet is talking about too.

Oh well...would seem to just add to the controversy of players getting hurt on these turfs.

http://footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7765331

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2009, 01:16 PM

I, on the otherhand, was completely soaked, walked through norman barefoot, and got a staple stuck in my foot in lloyd noble.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 01:19 PM
I, on the otherhand, was completely soaked, walked through norman barefoot, and got a staple stuck in my foot in lloyd noble.

Given your luck, I wouldn't go barefoot to a Lakers' game then.

;)

budbarrybob
9/14/2009, 01:20 PM

Too bad everyone can't sit under the deck like me :D

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2009, 01:25 PM
Given your luck, I wouldn't go barefoot to a Lakers' game then.

;)

LOL last year I sprained my knee at the UTChatt game. That monsoon + in the student section.. not pretty

I have also had the pleasure of taking a free ride in Nanci Pelosi's private elevator from a tourist incident at the United States Senate chambers. Broken ankle!

I have as bad of luck as Ryan Reynolds.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2009, 01:26 PM
Too bad everyone can't sit under the deck like me :D

We finally did move up under the deck at the half, but by that time I was soaked and my date was determined to see us score 50.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 01:32 PM
We finally did move up under the deck at the half, but by that time I was soaked and my date was determined to see us score 50.

At least she wasn't a Princess. Lott hates Royalty. :D ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
9/14/2009, 01:52 PM

Wow I don't know whether to let this one be or not

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 02:05 PM

Seriously! Huge props to your date, and your taste in wimmens.

Bet she was sportin something Crimson as well.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 02:11 PM
Ain't no Princess gonna hang with a guy who walks around barefoot pulling nails out of his feet. She has to be a Crimson Wearing Crimson Blooded Sooner!

flopshotjoe99
9/14/2009, 02:33 PM
field held up great, makes you wonder what the problem Saxet has that they went to field turf, apparently keeping grass green down in Austin is too tough a task.:)

bluedogok
9/14/2009, 04:23 PM
field held up great, makes you wonder what the problem Saxet has that they went to field turf, apparently keeping grass green down in Austin is too tough a task.:)
That is because Texas went the cheap route on the change before. They had a Prescription Athletic Turf surface (which is the same that Owen Field has) but when they decided to get rid of the track, lower the field and add more seats they went with a bermuda grass field like a high school because it was cheaper than reinstalling PAT. That ended up being a mud bog last Thanksgiving weekend against A&M and that led to their decision to go to Field Turf. PAT is a sand based system with a network of drains to pumps under the field to get water off the field. I think it was developed in Florida to handle the monsoon type rains they can get and still be playable, I know the Dolphins Stadium has PAT.

Here is some info: HG Turf - Prescription Athletic Turf® Field System (http://www.hgturf.com.au/sfd_pat.html)

Cowboys Stadium has RealGrass Matrix (http://www.sportfield.com/realgrassartificialturf_matrix.php) with the SoftTop (http://www.sportfield.com/softop.php) system to allow for changing the field.
More info here www.dallascowboysturf.com (http://www.dallascowboysturf.com/)

sidewinder517
9/14/2009, 04:38 PM
That is because Texas went the cheap route on the change before. They had a Prescription Athletic Turf surface (which is the same that Owen Field has) but when they decided to get rid of the track, lower the field and add more seats they went with a bermuda grass field like a high school because it was cheaper than reinstalling PAT. That ended up being a mud bog last Thanksgiving weekend against A&M and that led to their decision to go to Field Turf. PAT is a sand based system with a network of drains to pumps under the field to get water off the field. I think it was developed in Florida to handle the monsoon type rains they can get and still be playable, I know the Dolphins Stadium has PAT.

Here is some info: HG Turf - Prescription Athletic Turf® Field System (http://www.hgturf.com.au/sfd_pat.html)

Cowboys Stadium has RealGrass Matrix (http://www.sportfield.com/realgrassartificialturf_matrix.php) with the SoftTop (http://www.sportfield.com/softop.php) system to allow for changing the field.
More info here www.dallascowboysturf.com (http://www.dallascowboysturf.com/)

Great info thanks. :)

prrriiide
9/14/2009, 07:32 PM

Was said date also wet, and if so do you have pictures?

TYIA

:pop:

swardboy
9/14/2009, 07:39 PM
Ahem....meoveryouxinfinity (a very catchy name by the way) is one of our very knowledgeable FEMALE posters.

YWIA

GKeeper316
9/14/2009, 07:43 PM
i remember once after an away game that was soggy and rainy stoops was asked if those conditions affected how the team played and blah blah blah during his answer he raved about our groundskeeping crew and the incredible job they do keeping the root structure strong, which is what keeps sod from flying all over the place when its wet.

GKeeper316
9/14/2009, 07:44 PM
Ahem....meoveryouxinfinity (a very catchy name by the way) is one of our very knowledgeable FEMALE posters.

YWIA

ok then, we will accept pics of a soaked meoveryouxinfinity.

Soonerfan88
9/14/2009, 08:08 PM
I'll take the pictures of her date, thanks. :D

Yes, another female here.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 08:09 PM

YWIA

That made me laugh out loud.

Ahem....whoops.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 08:09 PM
:pop:

prrriiide
9/14/2009, 08:25 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/7/7d/Homer_doh.jpg/250px-Homer_doh.jpg

SoonerStud615
9/14/2009, 10:55 PM

YWIA

I was wondering how long it'd be before someone pointed that out. I was just gonna let it roll for a while.

GottaHavePride
9/15/2009, 12:37 AM
I know the Dolphins Stadium has PAT.

Really? Because I was on that field for the OB against Florida State, and it felt like green spray-paint on 1/4" of dust on top of 3/4" plywood. I mean, I could feel the field flexing as I walked across it. Didn't seem like very high-quality...

EDIT: And I'm not a fatty, so it wasn't that. ;)

tommieharris91
9/15/2009, 12:51 AM

YWIA

I was hoping no one would say meoveryouxinfinity was a chick. I wanted to see how long this would go. :(

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2009, 06:32 AM
I was hoping no one would say meoveryouxinfinity was a chick. I wanted to see how long this would go. :(

Hey, I thought Meo was a dude that looked a lot like Pony Boy! :D

meoveryouxinfinity
9/15/2009, 08:51 AM
Hilarious.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/15/2009, 08:53 AM
Hey, I thought Meo was a dude that looked a lot like Pony Boy! :D

LOL this is a legit pic too. no farking. it was on CFN, I believe.

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2009, 05:05 PM
So....

no resemblance?

(fingers crossed)