PDA

View Full Version : Whats goin on Here?

soonerboy
9/14/2009, 01:53 AM
I dont know, but to me it seems like college football is turning into the NFL. Any given saturday, its almost as if no one is guaranteed a win anymore. Let your guard down for 5 minutes and you get it handed to you.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2009, 02:39 AM
Personally I think college has been more like that than the NFL since the 80s at least.

sooner59
9/14/2009, 02:51 AM
Personally I think college has been more like that than the NFL since the 80s at least.

At first I want to agree with that, but that may have something to do with the number of teams and games compared to the NFL. There are more chances for crazy s*** to happen in college.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2009, 03:25 AM
True enough, but as an example the NFL lines tend to be WAY more accurate than in college. The surprise element is one of the many reasons I prefer the college game.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 06:00 AM
The NFL has priced the average fan out of buying Season Tickets, Playoff Games and the Super Bowl. They have turned to the huge Corporations and Large Businesses to sell premium seating in order to have state of the art facilities. Jerry World is a perfect example. For example...after the OU - bYu game...you didn't see any posts saying prices were decent. NFL Venues have gone to the Movie Theatre Popcorn and Soda pricing. They don't sell real gear. The sell replica gear for real gear prices.

The demise of NCAA Football is on the way should they follow the NFL's path.

Also...I noticed that you couldn't buy a cup of coffee or hot chocolate at the game in Norman Saturday Night. Pretty sad IMO.

RedstickSooner
9/14/2009, 06:58 AM
Thankfully, I think the fan dynamic will help to suppress the corporatization of college football. The reason the pros are so heavily corporate sponsored is that corporations have figured out how valuable it can be to shmooze clients at a pro game. College football, however, is much more specialized -- and not as good a venue for schmoozing.

In other words, if you bring a client to a Dallas Cowboys game, they're probably going to be happy with it no matter who they root for. Bring that same client to a Sooners game, and they're either going to love it, or they're going to hate it -- depending on how they feel about the Sooners.

The NFL has turned itself sort of non-denominational in attendance, while college remains a very fractious religious experience. Either you've got the religion of the team, or you don't -- and if you don't, the last thing you want to do is step foot into their stadium (unless it's as a member of the visiting team, and even then, you'd probably rather be in your little section of the stands).

To me, that's the biggest difference, and why I don't think college ball will follow the NFL down this particular path.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 07:03 AM
Good point RS.

I hope they quit trying to mimic them as you say.

The NFL has turned itself sort of non-denominational in attendance, while college remains a very fractious religious experience. Either you've got the religion of the team, or you don't -- and if you don't, the last thing you want to do is step foot into their stadium (unless it's as a member of the visiting team, and even then, you'd probably rather be in your little section of the stands).

To me, that's the biggest difference, and why I don't think college ball will follow the NFL down this particular path.