PDA

View Full Version : Putting football in perspective...

Collier11
9/13/2009, 09:03 PM
I got this off of another board but I felt it was worth sharing

"After I mildly criticized Bob & staff for their decisions against BYU, I hear this story from my parents yesterday. There's a little boy, 9 months old, in a small OK town who has been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Last year, only 130 individuals in the world had this type of cancer. The cancer was first discovered as a softball size tumor on his kidney. The mother has been updating a blog about his illness, which I am referencing throughout this post.

On Wednesday, the mom and son went to Children's and learned that the cancer has spread to his lungs and brain. Afterwards, the little boy had to have some type of procedure done, I think getting his chemo, but I can't remember exactly. The doctors asked the mom to wait outside because the little boy screams and cries and it's pretty hard to take. The mom went into the hallway and started "having a major pity party". A few minutes went by, and she heard a door open. She looks up and sees Bob Stoops walking towards her. Bob sat and talked with her for over 30 minutes until she could go back in the room and see her son. She wrote on her blog that she's an OSU graduate and a huge OSU fan, but the visit from Bob was so meaningful to her she couldn't even put it into words. Keep in mind, this was on Wednesday night, after practice, after a loss, after losing two All-Americans, after being the subject of a ton of criticism."

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/13/2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, our coaching staffs are amazing at this sort of this. When my niece was at OU Children's Health Center getting a hole in her heart fixed, the girl's basketball team saw her, parts of the guy's basketball team, and a few football players and she was only in there like 4 or 5 days

VA Sooner
9/13/2009, 09:20 PM
Bob's a good man. A stand up coach.

There's a few out there... glad we have one there at OU.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/13/2009, 09:20 PM
The great thing about it is the fact that Bob wants no publicity for it.

That's the definition of a truly great person. One who does great things but doesn't expect an "attaboy" for anything.

Collier11
9/13/2009, 10:16 PM
yet Pete Carroll calls 60 minutes because he recruits gang bangers in compton

MyT Oklahoma
9/13/2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for sharing this story.

unbiasedtruth
9/14/2009, 01:39 AM
story like this last year about Bob and a police officer in the town of Bridgeport here in Baja Oklahoma. Seems the officer grew up in Moore, and somehow ended up in Bridgeport, but was the #1 Sooner fan in this town. They had a high speed chase coming through town, this officer was in a meeting at the station and took off in his patrol car to secure hwy 114 through town. guy being pursued drove right in to the police car killing the officer as his car was pushed into the back of a flatbed truck. he left behind a wife and a young daughter. word somehow trickled back to OU and even though it was during spring football season Bob Stoops took the time talk to this family about their loss, maybe attend the service and celebration of this man's life.

best part of the whole story, chief of police and other officers are Horn fans as major as he was an OU fan. During the celebration, the officers took off their dress caps and replace them with identical OU caps.

wish i could remember the whole story.... google time....

Petro-Sooner
9/14/2009, 01:50 AM
Interesting stuff. Thanks!

olevetonahill
9/14/2009, 02:05 AM
Best I can find is it happened in April this year . the Dude apparently hit the patrol car on purpose:mad:
Saw one news deal with a Norman reference . It was No longer available.

unbiasedtruth
9/14/2009, 02:14 AM
i tried searching the star telegram as it was in that paper I read the article about the funeral and his death..... but I am having technical difficulties trying to find it there too.....

Collier11
9/14/2009, 02:15 AM
yea someone posted it here, Bob is a great man and we should be proud

beer4me
9/14/2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks for this post

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 08:11 AM
We need to get that little boy to get Bob to promise him a National Championship.

goingoneight
9/14/2009, 08:17 AM
This isn't surprising by now. After 12 years of it, even OUr biggest rivals know he's not faking his charitable side.

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2009, 09:00 AM
yet Pete Carroll calls 60 minutes because he recruits gang bangers in compton

That's dangerous work; he probably wanted witnesses just in case things got a little dicey. :D

I grew up in the streets, and for the most part if you are white and trying to do something positive, you can get a few of us to change our lives. I would rather he go down there full of pomp and showing off, than not go at all, because the fact of the matter is that those kids are recieving and that is what is important; not his motive.

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2009, 09:03 AM
From all I can tell, Bob Stoops is man of extraordinary character.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 09:06 AM
^Word.
http://realtalkny.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/SnoopDoggOnJamieFoxxholeRadio_B4FF/sd.jpg

adoniijahsooner
9/14/2009, 09:42 AM
Wrong Picture and era; you should have posted this....

http://3.music.bigpond-images.com/images/AlbumCoverArt/26/XXL/Word-Up2.jpg