PDA

View Full Version : My own grading of performances

Toronto Sooner
9/13/2009, 08:48 PM
My grading of performances

Anyone have any thoughts on the Sooner performance?

Here are my grades on the units and some noticeable individual players in the Idaho St game.

Units:

1) Secondary, A+ (total domination)

2) Running backs, A- (would have been A+ without the early stop – need to demonstrate a consistent power game on short yardage situations, especially near the goal line)

3) Stadium crowd, A- (excellent sticking around in the rain, would have been an A if the game was a sellout - only a Texas Tech type game crowd would get an A+)

4) QB, B+ (excellent first half, but still lots of room for improvement)

5) D-line, B (want to see more dominance, pressure, sacks, tackles for loss, pushing around lesser competition, etc.)

6) Linebackers, B (want to see more dominance, pressure, sacks, tackles for a loss, etc.)

7) Special Teams, B (you can’t miss extra points regardless of weather conditions and you can’t bring back TDs with penalties)

8) O-line, C+ to B- range (good progress)

9) Coaching, C (Where is the backup plan for Gresham? TE has been a vital position in OU’s offense for years now. Poor recruiting to not have ample high level TEs on the squad to choose from – something is wrong when the #1 TE is a walk on, IMO)

10) Tight Ends, D+ (Can anyone catch a ball? The TE score was only this high due to Brody)

11) Receivers, D (saved by Ryan Broyles)

12) Broadcasting associations, F (for not picking up the game on non-PPV avenues, thus making it almost impossible for a large number of faithful College Football and Sooner fans to view the game)

(some) noticeable Individuals:

1) Ryan Broyles, A+ (he needs to step it up like this every week)

2) Demarco Murray, A+ (he makes it look so smooth and effortless when he brings his A game)

3) Dominique Franks, A+ (great bounce back game)

4) GK, A (you da man)

5) Jonathan Miller, A (you da new man – looks to have speed, quickness, moves, breakaway capabilities and a bit of power)

6) Marcus Trice, A (you rock)

7) Demontre Hurst, A (you rock too)

8) Brian Simmons, A (played like a man possessed, loved it, loved watching him blow people out of the way for our running backs – keep it up dude!!!!)

9) Landry Jones, B+ (nice game for a first NCAA start – needs to URGENTLY work on going through his progressions)

10) Sam Bradford and Josh Heupel, B+ (great job in getting Landry Jones ready)

11) Trent Williams, B (very solid)

12) Ronnell Lewis, B (very distinguished first game – looks to have big play capabilities)

13) Tyler Evans, B- (nice first start)

14) Dejuan Miller, B (good blocking, didn’t do enough catching – he needs to elevate his game with both blocking and catching (let’s drop potential now, time for him to dominate on the field with his size and athleticism – he should be looking like a man among boys))

15) Sam Proctor, C+ (can’t let a running back carry him for 5 yards)

16) Auston English, C (needs to become more noticeable, otherwise Frank Alexander should start at that stop)

17) J. R. Washington, D+ (would like to see him stand out more, even though he only plays a very few snaps – he needs to demonstrate why he deserves more snaps)

18) Brandon Caleb, D+ (needs to be more distinguished on a consistent basis – can’t start dropping passes)

19) Cameron Kenny, D- (extremely disappointing performance, needs to become distinguished – can’t drop passes)

20) Jameel Owens, F (can’t miss practice or games, needs to demonstrate skills and work ethic in practice to earn playing time in games – team needs him to step up NOW)

JLEW1818
9/13/2009, 08:55 PM
nice

(R.J. Washington)

VA Sooner
9/13/2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the update... couldn't get the game here in Richmond. Brandon Caleb is from here... hoping to see him step up.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 10:52 PM
My grading of performances

Anyone have any thoughts on the Sooner performance?

Here are my grades on the units and some noticeable individual players in the Idaho St game.

Units:

1) Secondary, A+ (total domination) Not in the second half...B+

2) Running backs, A- (would have been A+ without the early stop – need to demonstrate a consistent power game on short yardage situations, especially near the goal line)

3) Stadium crowd, A- (excellent sticking around in the rain, would have been an A if the game was a sellout - only a Texas Tech type game crowd would get an A+)

4) QB, B+ (excellent first half, but still lots of room for improvement) Landry threw a pic in the second half that had NO explanation...right to the defender. He also threw wide for a pick 6 that was dropped, luckily. B

5) D-line, B (want to see more dominance, pressure, sacks, tackles for loss, pushing around lesser competition, etc.) The first team D-line and even the second team had ISU with less than 0 total yards until deep into the 3rd Qtr...A

6) Linebackers, B (want to see more dominance, pressure, sacks, tackles for a loss, etc.) B+ because of Box.

7) Special Teams, B (you can’t miss extra points regardless of weather conditions and you can’t bring back TDs with penalties) Kickoffs still only getting to the 12 yd line or so. Even with wind at M's back.

8) O-line, C+ to B- range (good progress)

9) Coaching, C (Where is the backup plan for Gresham? TE has been a vital position in OU’s offense for years now. Poor recruiting to not have ample high level TEs on the squad to choose from – something is wrong when the #1 TE is a walk on, IMO) Your comments apply for the entire season...will Coaching remain a C?

10) Tight Ends, D+ (Can anyone catch a ball? The TE score was only this high due to Brody) Brody was credited for opening up the running game with his blocking. C

11) Receivers, D (saved by Ryan Broyles)

12) Broadcasting associations, F (for not picking up the game on non-PPV avenues, thus making it almost impossible for a large number of faithful College Football and Sooner fans to view the game) Who in the world would have commercially broadcast that game? Srsly.

(some) noticeable Individuals:

1) Ryan Broyles, A+ (he needs to step it up like this every week)

2) Demarco Murray, A+ (he makes it look so smooth and effortless when he brings his A game)

3) Dominique Franks, A+ (great bounce back game)

4) GK, A (you da man)

5) Jonathan Miller, A (you da new man – looks to have speed, quickness, moves, breakaway capabilities and a bit of power)

6) Marcus Trice, A (you rock)

7) Demontre Hurst, A (you rock too)

8) Brian Simmons, A (played like a man possessed, loved it, loved watching him blow people out of the way for our running backs – keep it up dude!!!!)

9) Landry Jones, B+ (nice game for a first NCAA start – needs to URGENTLY work on going through his progressions)

10) Sam Bradford and Josh Heupel, B+ (great job in getting Landry Jones ready)

11) Trent Williams, B (very solid)

12) Ronnell Lewis, B (very distinguished first game – looks to have big play capabilities)

13) Tyler Evans, B- (nice first start)

14) Dejuan Miller, B (good blocking, didn’t do enough catching – he needs to elevate his game with both blocking and catching (let’s drop potential now, time for him to dominate on the field with his size and athleticism – he should be looking like a man among boys))

15) Sam Proctor, C+ (can’t let a running back carry him for 5 yards)

16) Auston English, C (needs to become more noticeable, otherwise Frank Alexander should start at that stop) 33 spent the entire game in containment, their backs were not fast enough to get to the outside. He had a good game and did his job.

17) J. R. Washington, D+ (would like to see him stand out more, even though he only plays a very few snaps – he needs to demonstrate why he deserves more snaps)

18) Brandon Caleb, D+ (needs to be more distinguished on a consistent basis – can’t start dropping passes)

19) Cameron Kenny, D- (extremely disappointing performance, needs to become distinguished – can’t drop passes)

20) Jameel Owens, F (can’t miss practice or games, needs to demonstrate skills and work ethic in practice to earn playing time in games – team needs him to step up NOW)

I think you are a bit over-generous with the A+ gradesand make a mistake leaving out Austin Box, the game's leading tackler and a terror when he was on the field. Otherwise, pretty good comments.

Boomer38Sooner
9/13/2009, 11:10 PM
Exactly. Box was a monster.

Toronto Sooner
9/13/2009, 11:34 PM
"(some) noticeable Individuals"

By that I attempted to state that it wasn't intended to include everyone. It was by random selection. There were a number of other players I could have included also, such as Keenan Clayton. He had the biggest hit of the night, IMO.

OUAlumni1990
9/13/2009, 11:34 PM
Its hard to assess OU's performance against a team like Idaho. They really don't belong on the field with us.

LawtonBoy74
9/13/2009, 11:41 PM
They really dont.. They are terrible in their on division so I cant really judge the team, but their were some good performances out there but I am really disappointed by the receivers

Toronto Sooner
9/14/2009, 12:07 AM
I think what you evaluate is how dominant players were with their specific opportunities and how well they executed. Then you can say that the players that performed at a high level did what was expected - you're not necessarily concluding that they can perform against higher level competition, but you are saying that they played up to expectations in the environment they were tossed into. On the flipside, you can also identify the players that were unable dominate and then question why that was, or identify areas for targeted improvements. As such, I think there is still a lot that can come out of a game like this. And, I do think that players within that particular game can be graded on an even playing field.

LawtonBoy74
9/14/2009, 12:10 AM
Good point

sooner59
9/14/2009, 12:54 AM
We played Idaho State.

I'm giving the crowd and A.
The coaching a B for not crapping down our leg after week.
The defense gets an A.
The offense gets a C.

The overall team grade is an "I" for incomplete. We played Idaho St. I view this as a 2 week assignment with final grades coming after the Tulsa game.

Crucifax Autumn
9/14/2009, 03:15 AM
Final grades get released in January.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 10:11 AM
"(some) noticeable Individuals"

By that I attempted to state that it wasn't intended to include everyone. It was by random selection. There were a number of other players I could have included also, such as Keenan Clayton. He had the biggest hit of the night, IMO.

I recognize your use of the word.

However, to leave out one #12 for that game is like leaving out the other #12.