PDA

View Full Version : Idaho State killed my iPhone!!

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 12:26 PM
Bastages.

Don't ever let your iPhone get even a little bit wet. :(

Seamus
9/13/2009, 12:31 PM
You needed to test this theory? ;)

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2009, 12:34 PM
Electronics + Moisture = Failure

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 12:48 PM
Ok smartazzes...I didn't exactly set it in a puddle. I kept it in my rain jacket pocket and it only seemed to get moist.

I watched everyone around me using their Dollar Tree phones just fine.

Suppose that is the price of using a Princess.

adoniijahsooner
9/13/2009, 01:02 PM
Ok smartazzes...I didn't exactly set it in a puddle. I kept it in my rain jacket pocket and it only seemed to get moist.

I work with a guy who worships his iPhone, and he is constantly sending in to get repaired; where as my little rinky dink metropcs phone has been dropped in a taco bell cup full of soda and still works. When in doubt go the cheapest route.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 01:09 PM
I work with a guy who worships his iPhone, and he is constantly sending in to get repaired; where as my little rinky dink metropcs phone has been dropped in a taco bell cup full of soda and still works. When in doubt go the cheapest route.

Well, this is the first issue I have had with an iPhone...have two...since Sept 2007.

Apple's gonna fix it. I'm back to my 1st gen till then.

But, I get your point.

My iPhone isn't a phone, it's a computer that happens to have a phone.

rwryne
9/13/2009, 01:50 PM
Stick it in a bag of rice

bluedogok
9/13/2009, 02:17 PM
Stick it in a bag of rice
Yep, see if that dries it out.

Kimberlyz4OU
9/13/2009, 02:20 PM
so the rice thing works....or at least it did on my blackberry.

Blackberry + coffee = fail + ziploc bag of rice = WIN!!

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2009, 02:40 PM
DUDE! mine is messed up too... but still works..

TheHumanAlphabet
9/13/2009, 03:08 PM
Apple has designed the iphone and the ipod to fail so you will go back and buy many...

I refuse.

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 03:12 PM
Oh, I'm getting a new one...free. I'm just making sure it is all dry before I give it back!

KABOOKIE
9/13/2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, if it ever happens again then take out the battery and dry as much moisture off the phone with a paper towel. Then either stick it in a bag of rice or run a hair drier on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Let it dry over night before putting the battery back in.

bringit
9/13/2009, 03:19 PM
never had one issue with the iPhone. I'll be keepin' mine since it does everything and nothing else is even close :D

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, if it ever happens again then take out the battery and dry as much moisture off the phone with a paper towel. Then either stick it in a bag of rice or run a hair drier on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Let it dry over night before putting the battery back in.

Can you take a battery out of an iPhone? I don't know how you can.

My issue is the backlight. It works fine but the screen is 99% dark, and I can only see the screen if I hold it at a certain angle.

According to websites, this isn't an uncommon problem and the phone will likely be replaced.

(I'm still drying it in front of a fan...)

SoonerPr8r
9/13/2009, 03:23 PM
I saw a ton of people using their phones in ziploc baggies

okiewaker
9/13/2009, 03:30 PM
Electronics + Moisture = Failure

Rain + ground= Stuck vehicle.

Stuck vehicle + trying to get it unstuck = lost DL and Check card, somehow

Son + me walking home= priceless :)

Lott's Bandana
9/13/2009, 03:31 PM
I saw a ton of people using their phones in ziploc baggies

Yeah, obviously I'm not that clever. :P

RedstickSooner
9/13/2009, 03:35 PM
Dunno about the iPhone, but the iPod has a moisture sensor so if it's exposed to water, they'll be able to tell and refuse repair/replacement. Might wanna check on the Innerweb, see if that's the case with the iPhone, too.

When my wife's iPod got totally soaked, we found some place online that fixed it for some ridiculously low price (we'd already done the rice thing, and it hadn't been enough to get it working again). Could be they have similar services for the iPhones, too.

sooner518
9/13/2009, 05:49 PM
ive read online that even if the moisture sensor went off, if you bitch and moan enough, they'll replace it because theyve had so many false positives. apparently the moisture sensor will go off even in high humidity sometimes.

okiewaker
9/13/2009, 06:06 PM
I'm not up with the new technology. My phone has cingular written on the bottom of it. It is probably time to upgrade. But, i will get the new waterproof iPhone. :D

colleyvillesooner
9/13/2009, 06:29 PM
Used mine throughout the game through a baggie. Worked fine and posting from it now.

apusooner
9/13/2009, 06:58 PM
i had an iphone that was "water" damaged (it was actually sunscreen, but whatever) and apple refused to listen to anything i had to say bc of the sensor reading water damage. i got kicked out of the apple store. then i bought my friend's iphone for $50. Which was cheaper than getting the screen replaced. Come to think of it I even offered to pay the apple store for the repair and they still declined. Said they don't fix stuff, i'll have to buy a new one

JiuJitsuSooner
9/13/2009, 07:06 PM
If your iPhone gets wet, Apple will usually not replace it.. The first thing the Apple Tech will do is look down the hole on top of the phone with a light to see if the sensor turned pink/red (they designed it to do this so they know if got wet, then they won't replace it..

A guy I know is a Master Tech at Apple, he said if this happens then to do this:

If you ever get your iPhone wet, it stops working and you need it replaced, take some white-out and drop it down onto the sensor to cover the red piece. Your gonna have to use something like a toothpick, etc... Then take it in to the store

hope this helps...

okiewaker
9/13/2009, 07:13 PM
Man, the horror stories. I think i will just keep my cingular phone.

sooner59
9/13/2009, 07:25 PM
My cousin is on his 3rd iPhone. One was in his pocket when he got pushed in the ocean in Florida. The other was broken when it fell off of the top bunk in the dorms. Apple replaced both of them. He never had to pay for a new one. Weird, huh?

Sooner74
9/13/2009, 10:39 PM
The baggy works. Great way to use technology and ancient history together.

sooner59
9/13/2009, 11:56 PM
The baggy works. Great way to use technology and ancient history together.

I always stuffed a couple ziplock bags in my pocket on gamedays that looked like there may be a chance for rain.

sooners2win
9/14/2009, 12:04 AM

Yup, my dollar tree phone got soaked, but still using today :pop:

Sooner74
9/14/2009, 12:17 AM
I learned my lesson two years ago at the Red River Shootout.

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 08:00 AM
If your iPhone gets wet, Apple will usually not replace it.. The first thing the Apple Tech will do is look down the hole on top of the phone with a light to see if the sensor turned pink/red (they designed it to do this so they know if got wet, then they won't replace it..

A guy I know is a Master Tech at Apple, he said if this happens then to do this:

If you ever get your iPhone wet, it stops working and you need it replaced, take some white-out and drop it down onto the sensor to cover the red piece. Your gonna have to use something like a toothpick, etc... Then take it in to the store

hope this helps...

Best advice ever. Samsung does this same thing and the folks who look at it...the first thing they do is look for that moisture sticker. I won't even call it a sensor as it's just a way to screw over a consumer IMO. If you drop your phone in a lake or a toilet...well...yeah...I can see them not wanting to warranty the device. But if you keep the thing in your pocket and they don't supply a decent holder for the device that protects it from moisture and you buy an extended warranty to boot. They should replace your device. I don't care if it's a phone or an IPOD. They know they are screwing the consumer with these stickers. It's a bunch of BS...especially when they don't point out how sensitive they are to moisture when you buy these devices.

Good Post JiuJitsuSooner

StoopTroup
9/14/2009, 08:03 AM
ive read online that even if the moisture sensor went off, if you bitch and moan enough, they'll replace it because theyve had so many false positives. apparently the moisture sensor will go off even in high humidity sometimes.

You sound like an expert.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 10:15 AM

hope this helps...

Ok, so I looked down the hole and can see about 96% white and a tiny sliver of red. Am I doomed?

Lott's Bandana
9/15/2009, 05:11 PM
Update:

1. I found out there are many moisture indicators, not just the one in the phone jack. There is an ill=conceived one inside the lip of the USB connection port...stupidly on the exterior part of the phone. Mine is Nebbish Red right now, of course.

Many, many interweb comments about arguments with Apple about that particular indicator...often turned red from having phone in bathroom while showering, etc. I have no doubt mine is red from Saturday nite.

2. After 3 1/2 days of sitting in front of a fan, my phone is now in perfect working order and I can cancel my Apple Store appointment.

Whew.