PDA

View Full Version : Any coaches or true experts on here?

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2009, 12:12 AM
If so, please answer a question for me; two games in a row i have seen teams blitz our left side of the line and get to the QB with ease; granted today it was only Niimo, but still teams are easily overloading the left tackle and we seem unable to adjust; why is it this easy? Why can't we do this with our defense? Too many times i see the guards block down and help the center and this makes absolutely no sense to me especially since we never have a back on that side to help out; are our offensive sets that easy to figure out?

OklahomaTuba
9/13/2009, 12:23 AM
didn't they blitz on that play?? (or as we call it at the collegiate level, man defense)

Easy answer is, we suck. If we can't keep Idaho Community College off any of our QBs, no matter what string they are, then we are in some trouble.

Petro-Sooner
9/13/2009, 12:31 AM
UHU

SoonerShay
9/13/2009, 12:48 AM
That looked like a whiff by the runningback. Either Miller or Calhoun was in there at the time.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/13/2009, 12:48 AM
Picking up a blitz is about the cohesion of the offensive line. As this group of guys gets more PT they will get better at it. It's just one of those things that's hard to practice for. The more they see it full speed the more comfortable and competent they should become. That being said, I hope Tulsa blitzes every play so our guys can have plenty of looks to get ready for the tough road ahead.

MiccoMacey
9/13/2009, 05:20 AM
^^^^^

That's the benefit of not having experience....everyone atacks your weakness. In a few games, we'll have seen every blitz known to man, which then gives you the experience you were looking for.

VA Sooner
9/13/2009, 07:48 AM
Protect the blind side... that's why Williams was there. With pass plays, we'll have to leave the RB in place to cover the blitz... back to game tapes.

SoonersEnFuego
9/13/2009, 11:12 AM
Alot of our formations move the RB out to a slot and have him going out for a pass. If the QB has a hot read to the left when they're blitzing, we could burn them. If we don't, and the guys on the right are covered, it could be trouble. It's a guessing game. If it becomes a problem, coaches adjust and bring that RB back in the backfield to pick up the blitzer...or just tell the QB to get rid of it quicker and hope for the best, which is dangerous.

IronHorseSooner
9/13/2009, 11:23 AM
With a young line and a young QB (or one coming off of injury with Sam), maybe going max protection would be a good thing, and run some more high percentage plays. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise, maybe the offense needs to be simplified some. I consulted a great friend who knows more about O than I, his dad was a coach, and his view is that this O, along with many across the country, has become too complicated. To me, there's nothing wrong with keeping 2 into block (maybe Brody and Clapp), and put Broyles on the outside, DM in the slot, and whoever we can get for the third guy, and see what happens. After blitzers getting their heads handed to them a few times from Brody and Clapp, maybe this will quell the temptation to go after a freshman QB or an injured QB.

StoopTroup
9/13/2009, 11:25 AM
didn't they blitz on that play?? (or as we call it at the collegiate level, man defense)

Easy answer is, we suck. If we can't keep Idaho Community College off any of our QBs, no matter what string they are, then we are in some trouble.

At least you got an expert. Wonder how he is at putting out a fire? :D ;)

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2009, 11:26 AM
That looked like a whiff by the runningback. Either Miller or Calhoun was in there at the time.

No, the RB was on the other side, and that's what concerns me; every blitz seems to come from the opposite side the RB is on and that to me has been WAY too easy to get to the QB

StoopTroup
9/13/2009, 11:30 AM
bYu was moving it around on us and in the case of when Sam got hit...Brown picked up a guy on the left and Williams failed to roll off his guy quick enough to alter the blitz.

Your QB also has to make adjustments. I hate seeing the blindside stuff even if it's us hitting the opponent. Although...I might be OK with Colt getting them all day this year as long as they just pull him to keep him from getting hurt.

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2009, 11:32 AM
bYu was moving it around on us and in the case of when Sam got hit...Brown picked up a guy on the left and Williams failed to roll off his guy quick enough to alter the blitz.

Your QB also has to make adjustments. I hate seeing the blindside stuff even if it's us hitting the opponent. Although...I might be OK with Colt getting them all day this year as long as they just pull him to keep him from getting hurt.

Good point on the QB adjusting; don't we ever have any hot reads ready for the blitz? Seems to me that we don't

IronHorseSooner
9/13/2009, 11:35 AM
There were many times last year where Sam went to a hot read, surprisingly often to Broyles.

SoonerNate
9/13/2009, 05:50 PM
Picking up a blitz is about the cohesion of the offensive line. As this group of guys gets more PT they will get better at it. It's just one of those things that's hard to practice for. The more they see it full speed the more comfortable and competent they should become. That being said, I hope Tulsa blitzes every play so our guys can have plenty of looks to get ready for the tough road ahead.

I have to question this though. If our defense is as good as we hear, then why haven't they made faster improvements having to practice against our D?