PDA

View Full Version : So did our O line look better?

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/12/2009, 10:11 PM
I know it's hard to tell given our opponent, but did they really play better? I don't remember any penalties against them.

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:12 PM
No penalties!!!! Well, one false start, I think.

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:12 PM
Bob said they'll have to watch some tape.

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2009, 10:14 PM
On the 4th and goal in the first quarter the left Guard was really slow off the ball; think it was Stephen Good; other than that they looked okay against a really overmatched opponent

LawtonBoy74
9/12/2009, 10:14 PM
I seen Habern get beat on a couple of plays I think his back is still killing him.. O-line looks better tonight against a far worse D-line than BYU so with that being said I guess :confused: One big plus is no major penalties!!

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/12/2009, 10:15 PM
I just hope they come together quick

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:16 PM
Penalties is really the only thing that was better, given the opponent, it's tough to tell how "good" they were. But not plowing a Dline that averages 150lbs on the goal line is absurd.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/12/2009, 10:21 PM
Where is this 150lb. stuff coming from?

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:24 PM
Where is this 150lb. stuff coming from?

Ok, let me hold your hand....The size difference was huge. How can we not push them 1/2 a yard? That's my point.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/12/2009, 10:25 PM
Ok, let me hold your hand....The size difference was huge. How can we not push them 1/2 a yard? That's my point.

I understand that.

You were the second person that said they averaged 150 lb.

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:26 PM
No, I just said it in another thread.

westcoast_sooner
9/12/2009, 10:35 PM
Seems like the OL played decently given the level of the competition. They opened holes for the RBs to run through, and held off a pass rush for the most part and let Landry throw.

The mental aspects were better, but as most people are saying, they'll have to get better if we want to win many more games this season.

btk108
9/12/2009, 10:49 PM
better...not great....they're going to have to start blowing people off the line.

OKC-SLC
9/12/2009, 11:01 PM
personally i think they have looked soft both games.

this time they just weren't averaging 2 penalties per possession.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/12/2009, 11:03 PM
Idaho St's Dline would make a decent line for a class 3a high school football team...

LawtonBoy74
9/12/2009, 11:07 PM
Idaho St's Dline would make a decent line for a class 3a high school football team...

Lmao, and they still wouldnt win state

Hotrod3157
9/12/2009, 11:10 PM
Just glad the false starts went away. They still have a lot to improve on, short yardage plays being a BIG ONE.

Soonerfan88
9/12/2009, 11:12 PM
IMO, definitely improved but still not where they need to be. When they allowed themselves to be pushed backward on the goal line, I knew it was still a work in progress.

delhalew
9/12/2009, 11:13 PM
I think Brandon nearly got Nimmo killed in junk time.

EstablishedSooner1967
9/12/2009, 11:14 PM
Well the penalties were lower but the blocking was somewhat disappointing. Can not get it in on the 1 and had 4 shots at it... The run game did not look all that strong I would like to see William's, Evens, Hebern, Good and Jones stay that way and let the gel

pardon the interREDtion
9/13/2009, 12:05 AM
Outside of a few plays, Idaho S gave us very little rushing. Realistically, this is very disturbing seeing as they are probably as weak as they come.

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2009, 12:09 AM
I think Brandon nearly got Nimmo killed in junk time.

Another one of those things about the offensive line i don't understand; the guard double teamed down with the center and left Brandon 2 guys to block; he took the guy he was supposed to and let the outside guy go free; hard to say who's fault that one was

Hotrod3157
9/13/2009, 12:15 AM
Another one of those things about the offensive line i don't understand; the guard double teamed down with the center and left Brandon 2 guys to block; he took the guy he was supposed to and let the outside guy go free; hard to say who's fault that one was

I'm with you. I think Brandon did his job on that one and it was the guard who shouldn't have blocked down. Normally its block from the inside out so he's in the clear on that one I think. I'm sure that doesn't make Nimmo's back feel better though.

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2009, 12:19 AM
It still disturbs me how teams always manage to blitz to the side we don't have a back on; maybe they are picking up something from the game films?

OklahomaTuba
9/13/2009, 12:20 AM
I kept thinking east popcorn state's line was more impressive than ours at times.

I still think we are in some real trouble there. Not to mention how bad the WR situation is right now.

Sooner Stew
9/13/2009, 09:23 AM
how about Jimmy Stevens missing another extra point...when are we going to get a consistent kicker? Yeah maybe he has improved from last year but we can't be missing extra points...that is just flat out ridiculous...And why wont Stoops let Tress Way kick field goals?

Tiptonsooner
9/13/2009, 10:03 AM
how about Jimmy Stevens missing another extra point...when are we going to get a consistent kicker? Yeah maybe he has improved from last year but we can't be missing extra points...that is just flat out ridiculous...And why wont Stoops let Tress Way kick field goals?

From where I was sitting, it looked like a bad hold, in the rain. I think he gets a pass on this one.

Dan Thompson
9/13/2009, 10:08 AM
This piece of the AP summary seems to sum it up

"The Sooners eventually had a first down on the Idaho State 2, but the Bengals stopped Oklahoma on five plays, stuffing a quarterback sneak on a fourth-and-inches."

EstablishedSooner1967
9/13/2009, 10:11 AM
Looked a bit better but how do you tell against Idaho St. Still could not get it in on the goal line that a HUGE issue with me against Idaho St. I mean they are not TX or Miami.
Bright spot the penalties were less..

AzianSooner
9/13/2009, 10:13 AM
To play against a high school type of football team, the bottom A1 OL team can look like the supper stars NFL gang.

PhiDeltBeers
9/13/2009, 10:26 AM
But, but, but...we won 64-00.

I still say that our line sucks ***.

StoopTroup
9/13/2009, 10:28 AM
I can't believe there isn't one "Fire Kevin Wilson" comment in this thread.

The 4th and 1 play when ISU held us. I was thinking Wilson is gonna rip some *** over that one. I heard some folks in the stands comment about Wilson's play calling and all I could think was..."It's Idaho State folks! He's calling it that way to see what the hell's wrong on the goal line."

I just think last night was a test and the Coaches will be pouring over every inch of the tape and if your an OU player and got beat by anyone on the ISU team....I wouldn't want to be you come practice and team meeting time.

Don't take me for a "Fire Kevin Wilson" poster either. I just think he's got some players he needs to bench for awhile.

o0Dan0o
9/13/2009, 10:41 AM
Outside of a few plays, Idaho S gave us very little rushing. Realistically, this is very disturbing seeing as they are probably as weak as they come.

This piece of the AP summary seems to sum it up

"The Sooners eventually had a first down on the Idaho State 2, but the Bengals stopped Oklahoma on five plays, stuffing a quarterback sneak on a fourth-and-inches."

Looked a bit better but how do you tell against Idaho St. Still could not get it in on the goal line that a HUGE issue with me against Idaho St. I mean they are not TX or Miami.
Bright spot the penalties were less..

We did have three other drives where we were inside the ten and punched the ball in on the ground (three others that I remember, correct me if I'm wrong). We should have gotten that first one as well, but it seemed to me that the line, and offense as a whole, gained confidence throughout the game. Though they still have a long way to go...

We had 278 yards on the ground. A lot of that did come in chunks, and there were a few plays where ISU got our backs in the backfield or at the line, but for the most part the team seemed (from what I could tell listening to the radio) to run at will.
Dan

PLaw
9/13/2009, 11:10 AM
I know it's hard to tell given our opponent, but did they really play better? I don't remember any penalties against them.

How can you get a good basis for a grade against such an over-matched oppenent?? It would like Edmund playing Maysville; Jenks playing Fox; Euless / Trinity playing Valley View; or Southlake playing Muleshoe.

Games like this are only good for stroking your ego and making think that you are better than you are against a quality opponent. And all of this for a $500,000 check.

Next week will be a better test and the trip to SOBE will provide a better yardstick before gearing up for conference play and getting ready for the Cotton bowl.

BOOMER

o0Dan0o
9/13/2009, 11:15 AM
How can you get a good basis for a grade against such an over-matched oppenent?? It would like Edmund playing Maysville; Jenks playing Fox; Euless / Trinity playing Valley View; or Southlake playing Muleshoe.

Games like this are only good for stroking your ego and making think that you are better than you are against a quality opponent. And all of this for a $500,000 check.

You can still spot missed assignments and bad technique, game film will still be useful.
Dan

meoveryouxinfinity
9/13/2009, 11:17 AM
I can't believe there isn't one "Fire Kevin Wilson" comment in this thread.

The 4th and 1 play when ISU held us. I was thinking Wilson is gonna rip some *** over that one. I heard some folks in the stands comment about Wilson's play calling and all I could think was..."It's Idaho State folks! He's calling it that way to see what the hell's wrong on the goal line."

I just think last night was a test and the Coaches will be pouring over every inch of the tape and if your an OU player and got beat by anyone on the ISU team....I wouldn't want to be you come practice and team meeting time.

Don't take me for a "Fire Kevin Wilson" poster either. I just think he's got some players he needs to bench for awhile.

Yeah. I thought it was a good idea. See what's going on. Embarrass the players.

StoopTroup
9/13/2009, 11:22 AM
Yeah. I thought it was a good idea. See what's going on. Embarrass the players.

I don't understand what your saying?

Expand please?