PDA

View Full Version : Goal Line Offense??

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2009, 08:13 PM
I am just wondering what everyone thinks about this. I have seen at least 6 teams REALLY struggle today with a First and Goal and such forth. Does everyone think the passing ways of college football, that offensive linemen are somewhat soft? If I was a coach, I would honestly find 7 guys that weigh 250 pounds or more that will fire off and kill someone. I mean if it takes Gerald McCoy, then so be it. This does not appear to just be an exclusive OU problem though.

JLEW1818
9/12/2009, 08:20 PM
I have no problem using GM like a Warren Sapp

IronHorseSooner
9/12/2009, 08:28 PM
I have noticed that all around as well, I have also noticed that MANY teams have been incorporating the "Meerkat." With those two trends, I think that offenses have became too complicated. Instead of just firing off of the ball and seeing who the bigger man is, teams are trying to overthink the situation. Even FLA "struggled" when they used the Meerkat.

soonermagic14
9/12/2009, 09:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing today about our goal line OL....just send in our D line and tell 'em to kill the guy in front of you and run the ball right off MCoy's heels.....dont think just kill ( and leave in Eldridge at center)

i know it'll never happen but it is a mentality thing

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 09:49 PM
There's no excuse for not scoring against Id St. on the goalline. Period.

LawtonBoy74
9/12/2009, 10:09 PM
I have to agree with you Phi Delt.. that is really really sad

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2009, 10:10 PM
There's no excuse for not scoring against Id St. on the goalline. Period.

Yup that was pretty bad offensive line play right there

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:11 PM
Id St's D line averaged 150 lbs!!!

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2009, 10:16 PM
I don't think it is a size issue, I am seeing really great defenses blow up the 1 yard line and incredibly bad defenses do it. I think it has more to do with the fact that these lineman are taught to come up and buy their QB 7 to 10 seconds, using their length to just hold them up. They just don't line up and fire out and hit people anymore. You would think this would disturb a lot of NFL teams. Definitely have to think twice about drafting an offensive lineman from one of these mostly passing teams.

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think it is a size issue, I am seeing really great defenses blow up the 1 yard line and incredibly bad defenses do it. I think it has more to do with the fact that these lineman are taught to come up and buy their QB 7 to 10 seconds, using their length to just hold them up. They just don't line up and fire out and hit people anymore. You would think this would disturb a lot of NFL teams. Definitely have to think twice about drafting an offensive lineman from one of these mostly passing teams.

Why is that? The NFL is a passing league, so a good pass blocker is more valuable than a good run blocker on most teams

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:19 PM
No excuse. No justification. Period. Those guys were the size of OUr pom squad.

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2009, 10:20 PM
No excuse. No justification. Period. Those guys were the size of OUr pom squad.

Did u not see the fat boy on their D-Line? Guy was Shaun Cody size :D

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:22 PM
No excuse. No justification. Period. Those guys were the size of OSU's pom squad.

I just fixed my own post.

:D

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2009, 10:47 PM
64-0. whine, whine, whine

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:49 PM
64-0. whine, whine, whine

Just pointing out the obvious. You think Stoops was happy with the effort on the goal line. Yeah, I bet he doesn't even bring it up.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/12/2009, 10:53 PM
This really wasn't meant to be about OU, more of why does this seem to be effecting almost everyone???

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2009, 10:55 PM
I'm sure there is lots of stuff the coaches have to say. But you don't go from last weeks performance to NC in 1 step. Hopefully better next week.

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:56 PM
It IS about OU though, because we're 0-2 at the goal line. It's a problem for us. But, I do understand what you're saying. I just care about us though. I'm selfish.

;)

btk108
9/12/2009, 10:58 PM
I don't see any whining.....I see mistakes that need to be fixed before we play a more talented team.....whining would be not beating them 100-0

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 10:59 PM
I'm sure there is lots of stuff the coaches have to say. But you don't go from last weeks performance to NC in 1 step. Hopefully better next week.

Like I said, we're 0-2 in that situation. It should be addressed. I think we had a big improvement as far as penalties, but still work to do. Come to think of it, we're 0-4 in our last 3 games at the goal line. Cost us the game last week and cost us the BCS championship.

IronHorseSooner
9/12/2009, 10:59 PM
This really wasn't meant to be about OU, more of why does this seem to be effecting almost everyone???

I agree, a lot of people who I saw today had similar problems, win or lose. The only exception I can think of is SUC, and it took them until late in the game with a gassed tOSU line...And, I just noticed that Utah didn't produce against San Jose State in the same situation. They had to revert to a Wildcat play, and the RB overthrew a wide open QB in the end zone...I am tellin' ya' that this is a trend.

BoulderSooner79
9/12/2009, 11:06 PM
Addressing the goal line situation, I don't think it is as important as an aspect of the game as it used to be. The defenses in the NFL are too good and teams have to have some deception in their play calling to score. They always have a big receiver that is a threat for a fade and a TE that can roam the back of the endzone. If they just line up tight and try pure power, they usually get stuffed. I agree we should be able to push a team like today off the line, but I don't think we can to that to UT anyway. Against good teams, you have to be versatile and you have to execute and thats what we should practice against inferior teams to get ready.

pardon the interREDtion
9/12/2009, 11:53 PM
If we can't push it in from the 1 yard line against one of the worst teams in Div. 1 in 3 tries, we, unfortunately, are in deep crapola, I don't care what your explanations are.