PDA

View Full Version : Booker T East Central Game Ends Because of Fights

jdsooner
9/12/2009, 12:10 AM
Gangs are bad in Tulsa!! From the Tulsa World:

Several people were injured during massive fights that caused the Booker T. Washington vs. East Central High School football game to end early Friday night.

Tulsa Police Capt. Karen Tipler said gang tensions led to scattered fights throughout the south end of the stadium during the second half of the game.

Teenagers with a “herd mentality” started fighting and then running from one area to another as additional fights broke out, she said.

Officers had to use pepper spray to subdue the crowd, Tipler said. Three people were arrested, police said.

EMSA spokeswoman Tina Wells said nine patients with minor injuries and anxiety related to the incident were treated at the scene. Paramedics transported three of the patients to hospitals, including a 14-year-old girl, a 17-year-old boy and a 51-year-old man.

None of the three suffered serious injuries, and reportedly were in fair condition, Wells said.

EMSA supervisor Dayan Inclan said most of the patients were having breathing problems from the pepper spray, he said.

Some spectators at the game said the Booker T. Washington band had just finished its half-time performance and was filing back into the bleachers when the fights broke out in a cluster of people around the 50-yard line on the BTW side.

Another spectator, Dorothy Roebuck, was in the stands to watch her son, Howard Roebuck III, play football for Washington when she noticed people in the crowd running at the south end of the stadium.

“The police started running and started pepper spraying, so I knew it was a fight,” she said.

She said it was frustrating that the fans who were there to enjoy the game weren’t causing the problems but that people with no school ties were starting fights.

“It’s just stupid, I think. It doesn’t make sense to me,” she said.

“These are kids that don’t even go to school anymore.”

Tipler confirmed that the fights started with people who aren’t affiliated with either school and said said a gang presence at the game led to the fights.

Tulsa Public Schools spokeswoman Tami Marler said the district uses 15 police officers, 15 security guards and a private security firm to patrol high school football games.

“Police determined that the final fight was just too big for anyone to control, so the refs called the game,” she said.

When the game was halted with 7 minutes and 29 seconds left in the third quarter, players huddled on the field while police responded to the fights.

The players then went to their locker rooms, and the game was called with the score at 28-7, with Washington in the lead.

The crowd had left the stadium by around 10:30 p.m.

tulsaoilerfan
9/12/2009, 01:01 PM
Bunch of idiots that weren't even affiliated with either team; why can't the police throw the gangsters in jail just for being in a gang? That in itself should be against the law

adoniijahsooner
9/17/2009, 02:44 PM
Left Tulsa in 95, and never looked back. Sometimes I hate even going on holidays to even visit my family; people in those hoods it seems will never get it together.

Okiemofo
9/17/2009, 04:34 PM
Notice it was a bunch of thug kids... Not logical adults. The problem has grown and gotten out of control mostly due to lack of decent parenting and proper role model supervision. Much of this can be nipped in the bud within the community, but unfortunately the government has stripped the schools from any means of protecting themselves. Just yesterday a friend of mine that works in a school system saw one of the older male students swatting the fire out of a female teacher, then a second female teacher who tried to help got punched. My friend being a man and bigger than the student put him in a bear hug to subdue him. The student's excuse was that he was having a bad day. What would our parents have done to us back in the day had we been sent home for punching a teacher? I dare not even think about the punishment I would have gotten...