PDA

View Full Version : Tourism COULD be a positive on a weakening dollar

Chuck Bao
9/11/2009, 04:39 PM
I have to say that I am disgusted with this proposal.

Seriously, what is $10?

WELL HELLO, the US could be a huge global tourism destination. The fact that Congress wants to levy a silly tax on those who already have the visas to visit the US is pretty telling.

At first, I was really excited by this article in anticipation that I could bring Nope to the US to meet my family. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

No opening up of developed countries that will present the bulk of new tourism because of silly fears that these people are going to stay in the US. Seriously, like Asians are going to disrupt our way of life and take away our jobs. Heh!

Whatever. Let’s do whatever is easy and less controversial and charge those who have been here multiple times already for the privilege. I am sure that is going to work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32759121/ns/travel-news/

]Senate considers international tourism boost
Industry supports proposed bill, which would charge foreign visitors $10 fee

updated 1:47 p.m. ET Sept. 9, 2009
WASHINGTON -[/B] Members of Congress would like to attract more international travelers to the United States, but the welcome mat would come with a $10 price tag.

The Senate took up legislation Tuesday to establish a nonprofit corporation that would coordinate programs promoting international travel to the U.S. Millions of visitors would be charged the $10 assessment to help fund the corporation.

The bipartisan bill, which has 53 co-sponsors, cleared a key hurdle when senators approved a motion 80-19 that will allow senators to consider final passage of the bill as early as Wednesday afternoon.

The United States began requiring people who don't need visas to enter the country to register online at least 72 hours before travel and renew their registration every two years. If the new proposal becomes law, it would require people to pay the $10 fee when they register.

The European Union has said that some U.S. travelers to Europe could face retaliatory fees.

About 58 million international travelers visited the U.S. last year. Industry officials say millions of potential visitors are looking elsewhere because of enhanced border security after the Sept. 11 terrorism attacks and negative foreign press articles. Many potential visitors just don't feel they're welcome in the U.S., and that's a mindset the private sector can't change by itself, said Geoff Freeman, the U.S. Travel Association's senior vice president.

More than 51 million international visitors came to the U.S. in 2000. That number dropped to 41 million in 2003, and has gradually improved since then, according to the Commerce Department.

The proposal is not without some conservative critics in Congress who say it will have the government taking on work that should be done by the private sector.

Republican Sen. Jim DeMint labeled the proposed corporation "Fannie Travel," a derisive reference to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, troubled government-sponsored private housing-promotion enterprises that Congress established to provide a stable and affordable housing market. Both experienced serious failures last year.

The travel industry strongly supports the bill, as do lawmakers from some of the states hardest hit by the recession, such as Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat from Nevada, home to Las Vegas.

"When tourism is hurt, Nevada hurts. The entire state suffers," Reid said. "Nevada is not alone."

"This bill is really about jobs, and it's a way of creating jobs without adding to the federal debt," said Sen. John Ensign, a Republican from Nevada.

Senators, citing data from industry sources, said ramped up marketing efforts would lead to an additional 1.6 million international travelers to the U.S. annually, and they said those travelers spend about $4,500 per visit.

The U.S. Travel Association has ramped up its lobbying efforts to try and generate support for the measure, spending nearly $600,000 this year — double what it spent during the prior two years combined, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Freeman, of the travel association, said every developed country in the world has promotional campaigns designed to attract foreign visitors, and it was time for the U.S. to join the game.

"The United States is the world's anomaly," Freeman said. "And the results speak for themselves."

The private sector spends billions of dollars promoting destinations within the United States. Freeman said hotels and resorts would continue to do so and that the travel industry was not relying on the government to subsidize those costs. Indeed, much of the money for the promotional efforts will come from fees paid by the travel industry.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

picasso
9/11/2009, 04:50 PM
Hey, when you're in debt up to your fake processed hair. Create more programs!:)

Chuck Bao
9/11/2009, 06:38 PM
I meant developing countries rather than developed countries. I could edit that post.

In Thailand, I see more and more group tourists from China. They aren't following those tour group flags that they had previously followed around. I see those large tour buses with huge Chinese characters on the side and I hear them speaking Chinese in the SE Asia's largest shopping mall that is adjacent to my office building. I don't know how big their spending power is, but if they are going to such upper scale shopping malls like Central World or Siam Paragon, it is upscale compared to anything in the US.

I think my point is that we need to get over our prejuidces concerning Asians. They may already have our jobs. Let's not make a double mistake and tell them that they can't spend some of their new found money in visiting the US.

delhalew
9/11/2009, 07:10 PM
I'm missing the Asia connection. Asians weren't mentioned in the article. Since the prejudice towards Asians is eluding me, please clue me in Chuck.

As far as I know, we are pretty cozy with Asians in this country. That hasn't always been the case, but in general we are aware that Asians offer a lot to our society. Plus, they are world famous for their love of travel.

King Crimson
9/11/2009, 07:26 PM
tourism is a deal with the devil.

Chuck Bao
9/11/2009, 07:29 PM
I'm missing the Asia connection. Asians weren't mentioned in the article. Since the prejudice towards Asians is eluding me, please clue me in Chuck.

As far as I know, we are pretty cozy with Asians in this country. That hasn't always been the case, but in general we are aware that Asians offer a lot to our society. Plus, they are world famous for their love of travel.

Seriously dude, a lot of our jobs have been exported to Asia.

Seriously, I have tried to sponsor my friend to visit the US and the US embassy in Bangkok was as rude and mean and condenscing as you can imagine. I suppose that they see their quota fill up with Americans marrying Thai women and they see part of that as protecting Americans.

I also suppose that tour groups are the way to go. I haven't figured out yet about getting Nope to join a tour group that visits Madill, Ok.

On a side note, it is pretty funny how there are tour groups sponsored by Las Vegas hotels and they get the visa and I'm okay with that.

Maybe, immigration and visa permits should be around gambling. Like marriage and life-long committments aren't.

bluedogok
9/11/2009, 08:36 PM
Many countries already have fees associated with entering or leaving the country so it is nothing new. Also raising or creating a new fee is nothing new and still gives them the ability to say "I DID NOT RAISE TAXES" with a straight face come the next election cycle.

Chuck Bao
9/11/2009, 08:56 PM
Many countries already have fees associated with entering or leaving the country so it is nothing new. Also raising or creating a new fee is nothing new and still gives them the ability to say "I DID NOT RAISE TAXES" with a straight face come the next election cycle.

Are you sure? Did you read that article?

I travel to a lot of countries. Yep, Americans have to shell out money to visit third world countries. I would think that the US is not a third world country and asking tourists from let's say Europe to pay the fee and register online is not going to encourage tourism.

$10 is a just a nuisance. It won't raise much money and will probably serve more to deter travelers to the US.

One would think that a weakening dollar would serve an economic purpose in supporting more foreign tourism. Let's just drop the notion that everyone in the world wants to emigrate to the US. Many just want to see the sights, buy a few t-shirts and go home.

royalfan5
9/11/2009, 09:05 PM
If nothing else, a weakening dollar should help me move some corn and beans.

delhalew
9/11/2009, 09:06 PM
Seriously dude, a lot of our jobs have been exported to Asia.

Seriously, I have tried to sponsor my friend to visit the US and the US embassy in Bangkok was as rude and mean and condenscing as you can imagine. I suppose that they see their quota fill up with Americans marrying Thai women and they see part of that as protecting Americans.

I also suppose that tour groups are the way to go. I haven't figured out yet about getting Nope to join a tour group that visits Madill, Ok.

On a side note, it is pretty funny how there are tour groups sponsored by Las Vegas hotels and they get the visa and I'm okay with that.

Maybe, immigration and visa permits should be around gambling. Like marriage and life-long committments aren't.

So if I understand, they are offering to free up more visas, but imposing a $10 fee. That doesn't seem so bad. Nor does it seem to target asians. Though, I always thought European countries got special treatment. I've noticed folks from ex Soviet states don't seem to have much trouble.

bluedogok
9/11/2009, 09:18 PM
I had to pay a 2000¥ "exit fee" to leave Tokyo in 1996, maybe it doesn't exist anymore but I also remember something about Australia having one 20 or so years ago.

If $10 is going to deter a traveler, they probably have no business taking the trip.

That being said, it's no big shock that they are trying to find anything and everything they can slap a fee on. Kind of like the old duct tape/WD-40 joke, if it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape, if it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40. I guess the gov't axiom would be if it moves or sticks regardless of what it's supposed to do, tax it.

Chuck Bao
9/11/2009, 09:20 PM
So if I understand, they are offering to free up more visas, but imposing a $10 fee. That doesn't seem so bad. Nor does it seem to target asians. Though, I always thought European countries got special treatment. I've noticed folks from ex Soviet states don't seem to have much trouble.

No, the proposal is only for those who previously did not need visas. The article didn't mention about opening up more visas. That is the reason I posted it because I am disappointed that it wouldn't help open up the chance of Nope visiting my family.

My best bet is going to church regularly and making friends with US embassy staff that attend a Baptist church. That may sound perverse, but there it is and I said it. With that being said, I would never expect Nope to convert religions to visit the US.

Chuck Bao
9/11/2009, 09:26 PM
I had to pay a 2000¥ "exit fee" to leave Tokyo in 1996, maybe it doesn't exist anymore but I also remember something about Australia having one 20 or so years ago.

If $10 is going to deter a traveler, they probably have no business taking the trip.

That being said, it's no big shock that they are trying to find anything and everything they can slap a fee on. Kind of like the old duct tape/WD-40 joke, if it moves and it's not supposed to, use duct tape, if it doesn't move and it's supposed to, use WD-40. I guess the gov't axiom would be if it moves or sticks regardless of what it's supposed to do, tax it.

Maybe you are thinking about airport departure tax. That is sort of a fee to use airport services. Thailand does the same thing to pay for the new airport. The US has how many ports of departure? And, if there is a fee, it is already paid in the ticket price, like Thailand. This case is weird in that visa free arrivals are required to pay the tax and keep it current through the internet.

My main point is that the US should be doing all it can, advertising and the such, to promote tourism to the US. Not slapping on fees.