PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Perry doing the job the Obama won't....

OklahomaTuba
9/11/2009, 01:24 PM
protecting the homeland...

Special teams of Texas Rangers will be deployed to the Texas-Mexico border to deal with increasing violence because the federal government has failed to address growing problems there, Gov. Rick Perry said Thursday.
The forces, dubbed "Ranger recon" teams, are the latest effort "to fill the gap that's been left by the federal government's ongoing failure to adequately secure our international border with Mexico," he said.

The governor early this year asked Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano for 1,000 National Guard troops and renewed his call last month in a letter to President Barack Obama. The request is bogged down over who will pay for the troops and how they will be deployed. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32793136/ns/us_news-security

How come Obama seems to be only interested in saving money when it involves the national security???

85Sooner
9/11/2009, 01:36 PM
I likes! ALOT.

Scott D
9/11/2009, 01:47 PM
To be fair Tuba, the National Guard is a totally different animal than regular active duty. Not saying that Obama's lack of action is good in any way, but I can see how it'd be a concern whether Texas is footing the bill on the Texas National Guard being used in such a manner, or if it's falling to the Fed.

Personally I think it'd be better to just get a rival mafia down there to fight that little battle.

OklahomaTuba
9/11/2009, 03:24 PM
but I can see how it'd be a concern whether Texas is footing the bill on the Texas National Guard being used in such a manner, or if it's falling to the Fed.I would normally agree, but Obama hasn't batted an eye handing out cash to pay for state infrustructure projects, unemployment benefits, and budget shortfalls from the Porkulus bill.

Nor has he batted an eye in handing out trillions to private banks, taking over GM, kickbacks to his union friends and ACORN thugs.

Yet somehow figuring out the funding to protect our national border is a problem.

Scott D
9/11/2009, 03:34 PM
Well the National Guard thing is still kind of sticky...to me it doesn't matter who pays, but that kind of thing does have to be cut and dried I think. Perhaps the way Perry should have gone about it was declaring a state of emergency.

Of course if you give this thread time, I'm sure SicEm will draw himself away from his further emasculating new toy to express why the Fed. shouldn't pay for it and why it's a sovereignty issue for a state.

delhalew
9/11/2009, 03:43 PM
It is one of the few things the federal gov IS supposed to be responsible for...ie securing of our borders. If the border of OK/Tx needed securing that would be a states issue.

soonerinabilene
9/11/2009, 03:47 PM
First time in 8 years Perry has made sense about anything.

Scott D
9/11/2009, 03:50 PM
It is one of the few things the federal gov IS supposed to be responsible for...ie securing of our borders. If the border of OK/Tx needed securing that would be a states issue.

I'm not arguing who is responsible for securing the border, I'm arguing who is responsible for funding the particular enforcement body in question. We're discussing the Nat. Guard not the Army.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/11/2009, 05:47 PM
First time in 8 years Perry has made sense about anything.He needs to kick Kay B. Hutchinson's as* in the primary next year. It's not often I wish I was a Texan...

Scott D
9/11/2009, 06:09 PM
I can't wait until you turn on him for being a RINO.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/11/2009, 06:28 PM
First time in 8 years Perry has made sense about anything.

He must be running for something.

Frozen Sooner
9/11/2009, 06:33 PM

The Constitution says it would be a federal issue, actually.

"Securing" the border between two states would be a clear Article IV and 14th Amendment violation. Which would be a federal issue.

I Am Right
9/11/2009, 06:35 PM
Where is Brad Henry?

soonerinabilene
9/11/2009, 07:39 PM
He must be running for something.

he knows if he can get past hutchinson he has it won. kinky friedman is not any competition. there just isnt another texan thats worth voting for at the moment, since neagabeuar (sp) apparently is happy being a representative. if he ran for governor, he would win in a landslide.

Scott D
9/11/2009, 08:47 PM
Where is Brad Henry?

he decided the non existent border with Mexico wasn't worth defending.

delhalew
9/11/2009, 08:57 PM
The Constitution says it would be a federal issue, actually.

"Securing" the border between two states would be a clear Article IV and 14th Amendment violation. Which would be a federal issue.

You're right. I didn't give much thought since it seemed like a dumb-assed analogy anyway. I guess apart from the civil war it would be unprecedented.

OklaPony
9/12/2009, 07:57 AM
...Personally I think it'd be better to just get a rival mafia down there to fight that little battle.
After which you kill the winner... problem solved!

Frozen Sooner
9/12/2009, 07:59 AM
You're right. I didn't give much thought since it seemed like a dumb-assed analogy anyway. I guess apart from the civil war it would be unprecedented.

Back in the early 1800s Michigan and Ohio declared war on each other over Toledo. Apparently Ohio lost. :D

Harry Beanbag
9/12/2009, 10:02 AM

Where's Alfalfa Bill Murray when you need him?

StoopTroup
9/12/2009, 11:22 AM
protecting the homeland...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32793136/ns/us_news-security

How come Obama seems to be only interested in saving money when it involves the national security???

I guess what I don't understand Tuba is Pubs keep bashing him about his unbridled spending and now your posting about why he won't spend money.

I think PBHO should indeed spend the money...but Bush didn't spend the money initially at the first sign of trouble when Katrina hit New Orleans either. I think it's really easy for everyone to say the President (whether it's PGWB or PBHO) should be doing something like call the National Guard in or flood an area with relief...it's alway more complicated when you find out that the State has to ask for it to happen 1st. So many things about Katrina and Government intervention were revealed that it was amazing to see what Americans expected...didn't happen because there had never been anything organized to get Government Agencies rolling in such scenarios.

Not saying anything is right or wrong....but it seems that it's still a problem. Here even a Governor is expecting assistance for a worthy cause and it's bogged down in bureaucracy. It just doesn't seem like the Governor's problem is an Obama problem as much as it's an Obama Governmental issue since he's now President. Goes back to my thoughts that no matter who you put in office anymore...there's only so much a President is going to be able to accomplish.

That kind of stuff worries me more than any Dem vs Pub issue.

delhalew
9/12/2009, 11:29 AM
The thing is ST, PBHO has no interest in securing the border. Just like Bush. That the thing I hated most about Bush. He refused to take the border seriously, much less dealing with our illegal immigrant problems.

OklahomaTuba
9/12/2009, 05:03 PM
I guess what I don't understand Tuba is Pubs keep bashing him about his unbridled spending and now your posting about why he won't spend money.Wow! You mean to tell me you can't understand the difference between spending trillions to take over the private sector vs spending a few billion to protect our borders???? :confused:

pilobolus
9/12/2009, 08:01 PM
This article confirms what I already knew from personal experience and contacts along the border. Perry is blowing smoke up the asses of the bat-**** crazies in Texas he needs to beat Hutchinson. The cartel leaders know there is no future in exporting violence, its bad for business.

http://www.rollingstone.com/nationalaffairs/index.php/2009/09/02/how-the-cartels-work-guy-lawson-on-mexican-drug-lords/

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/13/2009, 10:18 AM
This article confirms what I already knew from personal experience and contacts along the border. Perry is blowing smoke up the asses of the bat-**** crazies in Texas he needs to beat Hutchinson. The cartel leaders know there is no future in exporting violence, its bad for business.

http://www.rollingstone.com/nationalaffairs/index.php/2009/09/02/how-the-cartels-work-guy-lawson-on-mexican-drug-lords/Maybe you're right this time. If an election causes a politician to do good things, then they SHOULD BE re-elected.