PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of geting a bike...

sooneron
9/11/2009, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking of litterally taking my life into my own hands and riding about town and the local paths here in NJ with some of the nation's worst drivers.
I'm interested in a hybrid or some sort, in case I want to explore a little. I am leaning towards Trek. I have always been a fan. I really like their Navigator 3 series (looks/price point-wise) as I don't want to spend 1/3 of my mortgage on a bike.
Someone talk me into another model/line.

I want some comfort (getting to be an old fart) but I want it to look nice - no gaudy graphics all over the place (so classy). I also want to be able to have fun on it and strap the kiddo to it come spring. Under $650 is preferable.

King Crimson
9/11/2009, 12:10 PM
don't be afraid to buy an entry level bike, ride the heck out of it, and see if you want to move up. maybe it's just Boulder, everybody buys a Trek. look like the entry level Masi or Scattante. Masi has pretty "old school" styling, i like them a lot. I've got a Bianchi i bought used for 450$ that's sweet and been a real champ. i've also got a fixed gear/single speed old school Nishiki i built up and a 80's Schwinn road bike i use to commute and don't fear to lock up on campus. here, bike theft is something you have to think about *all the time*.

Masi Alare (at one of the bike stores here lists for 799 or 850 and they have it at 650 or something). everything is *always* on sale at bike shops, don't be fooled. the one at the store is red with white script and bands. pretty hot.

http://sunandskibikes.com/images/library/large/masi_alare_wht_09_m.jpg

Lott's Bandana
9/11/2009, 12:12 PM
Trek is FTW!!1!

Really can't go wrong with one.

Turd_Ferguson
9/11/2009, 12:16 PM
I used to have an Bianchi you could finger curl. No ****.

King Crimson
9/11/2009, 12:17 PM
you might also look into bikesdirect bikes. they are internet company that makes bulk buys of frames, puts purchased names on them, and sells at allegedly discount prices. they aren't gonna wow the guys at the snobby bike shop and the components are average but for a bike that's ready to ride it wouldn't be a bad thing. i've thought seriously a couple times about it. none of the brands are the old school ones but the Motobecane and Mercier frames seem to be respected by the snobbies i know. they are essentially Fuji frames minus the logo. i think it would be a solid entry level ride, not that i know everything....because i'm not a zealot i just like to ride and haven't owned a car in a decade.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_record09.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/record_08_500.jpg

Oldnslo
9/11/2009, 12:26 PM
Nothing wrong at all with Navigators. Buy one. Ride it and have fun. You can look at Specialized and Giant, but if you're already in love with Trek, get up and go.

sooneron
9/11/2009, 12:29 PM
I used to have an Bianchi you could finger curl. No ****.

I had a Peugeot that you could do the same with - The PFN -9 or something

It was the 10!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/dragonellis76/DSC_0001.jpg

Howzit
9/11/2009, 12:29 PM
I ride Specialized, myself.

And by "ride," I mean "used to ride."

sooneron
9/11/2009, 12:34 PM
Nothing wrong at all with Navigators. Buy one. Ride it and have fun. You can look at Specialized and Giant, but if you're already in love with Trek, get up and go.

At first, I looked at it like a geezer bike, but then realized that I am fast becoming one and it was classy with the brown "leather" saddle and handgrips. The Dublin is pretty nice, but I am having trouble finding one. Plus, I don't know what they cost...

King Crimson
9/11/2009, 12:47 PM
"ron"--you could sell that Peugeot frame and fork on Craigslist today for 150-200$ if you use the word "fixie".

King Crimson
9/11/2009, 01:01 PM
and in my advice above i missed the word "hybrid", looks like. wtf. sorry.

SoonerStud615
9/11/2009, 01:14 PM
I have a Trek 4300. The all black one. Slick looks and great performance. I ride it to work on the road and also off road. It works great in both situations. Obviously a mountain bike doesn't perform as well as a road bike on the road, but you can't take a road bike on the trails...

sooneron
9/11/2009, 01:22 PM
and in my advice above i missed the word "hybrid", looks like. wtf. sorry.

Actually, that site that you linked had a pretty nice motobecane in the same style as the trek nav.

King Crimson
9/11/2009, 01:34 PM
Actually, that site that you linked had a pretty nice motobecane in the same style as the trek nav.

like i say, that stuff is worth a look. the Mercier and Motobecane frames are solid. the components aren't anything but average. but, those you can upgrade if so motivated. entry level, i think it's a decent option if you want to hit the ground running because you are going to have to probably spend a little to get tools and things as well. you can't be going to the local shop everytime you need to adjust a brake. bikes are expensive...it's like NYC, everything you do costs money and costs more than it seems like it should. even bike grease costs more than regular grease.

take the Motobecane style-name and google "Motobecane style-name+reviews" see what happens.

I Am Right
9/11/2009, 08:18 PM
We are going to get a boat!

sooneron
9/14/2009, 12:44 PM
Took a spin on the 7.2FX. I also tried the 7200, which is a lot like the Nav. Liked the 7.2 WAY better.

Does anyone here think there should be some wiggle room in the bike shop's asking price? They listed msrp, but when I asked - retorted with a quick NO.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 12:54 PM
I have a Trek 4300. The all black one. Slick looks and great performance. I ride it to work on the road and also off road. It works great in both situations. Obviously a mountain bike doesn't perform as well as a road bike on the road, but you can't take a road bike on the trails...

I have a 4300...rode it all over the Sierra-Nevadas.

When I first came back to Norman, I rode it around the lake at the Sutton Wilderness. Upon it's first encounter with wet red clay, I pushed down with my right foot trying to not get stuck in the middle of the acreage of red grade-school paste and broke the derailleur clean off the bike.

That was a walk home full of suckage.
I suppose that's why they call them "mountain" bikes.

King Crimson
9/14/2009, 01:01 PM
Took a spin on the 7.2FX. I also tried the 7200, which is a lot like the Nav. Liked the 7.2 WAY better.

Does anyone here think there should be some wiggle room in the bike shop's asking price? They listed msrp, but when I asked - retorted with a quick NO.

i'd see what prices you can find on-line (and competing brands in the price range) and that might give you some leverage. maybe throw the word "craig's list" around. but, usually, seems to me you overpay some with an extensive service package as the compensation.

all the stores here everything is "on sale" all the time. and stores carry different brands. for instance Store A carries Fuji, Schwinn, Specialized, Scattante and Store B Bianchi, Masi, Trek...and on down the line so they don't really compete with each other directly.

it is a good thing to have a relationship with the local store/mechanics in my experience.

Lott's Bandana
9/14/2009, 01:24 PM
you might also look into bikesdirect bikes. they are internet company that makes bulk buys of frames, puts purchased names on them, and sells at allegedly discount prices. they aren't gonna wow the guys at the snobby bike shop and the components are average but for a bike that's ready to ride it wouldn't be a bad thing. i've thought seriously a couple times about it. none of the brands are the old school ones but the Motobecane and Mercier frames seem to be respected by the snobbies i know. they are essentially Fuji frames minus the logo. i think it would be a solid entry level ride, not that i know everything....because i'm not a zealot i just like to ride and haven't owned a car in a decade.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_record09.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/images/record_08_500.jpg

KC, I like that site. I tried to find how much the bikes weigh but couldn't seem to find that information...am I missing it?

King Crimson
9/14/2009, 01:36 PM
KC, I like that site. I tried to find how much the bikes weigh but couldn't seem to find that information...am I missing it?

i don't know. maybe if you go through the checkout it will give you a bike weight for shipping. but, that may be what the boxed up bike weighs and not the actual bike only.

sooneron
9/14/2009, 01:50 PM
i'd see what prices you can find on-line (and competing brands in the price range) and that might give you some leverage. maybe throw the word "craig's list" around. but, usually, seems to me you overpay some with an extensive service package as the compensation.

all the stores here everything is "on sale" all the time. and stores carry different brands. for instance Store A carries Fuji, Schwinn, Specialized, Scattante and Store B Bianchi, Masi, Trek...and on down the line so they don't really compete with each other directly.

it is a good thing to have a relationship with the local store/mechanics in my experience.
Yeah, one of the places that I checked out yesterday was about $$40 less than list. They include 1 year of service, but it's a solid 20 minute drive for me. The place that didn't haggle is the next town over - <5-6 minutes. I'm pretty sure they will cover any issues as they are more of your real bike shop. Wheeler Dealer/Buchanan, but larger. They also organize rides and stuff. I guess it sort of ticked me off that I got the unequivocal NO. Hell, Wheeler Dealer loved up to the name back in the day. And yes, I know you were prolly a Miller's type back innaday. :D

King Crimson
9/14/2009, 02:00 PM
i bought my BMX bike at Miller's when they were still on campus corner but, actually, one summer the guy at Wheeler D paid some of us kids to change flats for him...so, i bought stuff there too. amazingly, Buchanan's is still there (since the mid 70's) and i actually met a guy here about a month ago who used to work there.

Mjcpr
9/14/2009, 02:02 PM
i bought my BMX bike at Miller's when they were still on campus corner but, actually, one summer the guy at Wheeler D paid some of us kids to change flats for him...so, i bought stuff there too.

Did he show you dirty magazines and movies in his house behind the shop?

King Crimson
9/14/2009, 02:06 PM

mostly just two-below football games and pop-sickles.

sooneron
9/14/2009, 02:08 PM

Wow, I had forgotten about the Jimmy Miller rumors...

sooneron
9/14/2009, 02:09 PM
i bought my BMX bike at Miller's when they were still on campus corner but, actually, one summer the guy at Wheeler D paid some of us kids to change flats for him...so, i bought stuff there too. amazingly, Buchanan's is still there (since the mid 70's) and i actually met a guy here about a month ago who used to work there.

I bought 4 bikes from WD back in the day. Tiny shop next to the pipe place.

King Crimson
9/14/2009, 02:10 PM
i remember WD sold Raleighs. my dad had one. also, the lawn mower store on Gray next to Norman Music and the public library sold bikes, IIRC?

Mjcpr
9/14/2009, 02:15 PM
Wow, I had forgotten about the Jimmy Miller rumors...

Actually, it was a Different Strokes episode. :D

OKC-SLC
9/14/2009, 10:01 PM
I've had a Trek 4500 for the last 6 years--rode it in Utah for a few years and now I'm going to use it to break my neck in the Sierra Nevadas.

i'm gonna probably replace it in the next year or two, and I'll prob buy another Trek.

sooneron
9/15/2009, 09:44 AM
Actually, it was a Different Strokes episode. :D

Actually, there were rumors of that.

I checked out another shop. Small place like Wheeler Dealer in nompton. The guy was cool, but he can't make deals on bikes that he orders. He also had me try two Giants out - a Transend and a Cypress LX. The Cypress may have been "too road" for me. I have heard good things about the shop, tho. Of course, how much do I need my bike worked on ?

On a side note, the little shop yesterday had a flippin 1983 Race Inc. with comp 3 tires on it! NEVER RIDDEN, it has just sat on the rack since 1983!!! The price... FIVE LARGE. This bad boy was in mint condition. The only issue was DUST.

sooneron
9/15/2009, 09:52 AM
i remember WD sold Raleighs. my dad had one. also, the lawn mower store on Gray next to Norman Music and the public library sold bikes, IIRC?

WD sold Raleighs, Peugeots, Takaras and Race Inc frames (last bmx'er that I owned). I think they may have sold another brand, but can't remember.

Yeah, I remember the lawn mower place. I don't recall them selling the higher end stuff. Seems like they carried Murrays etc?

King Crimson
9/15/2009, 10:10 AM
WD sold Raleighs, Peugeots, Takaras and Race Inc frames (last bmx'er that I owned). I think they may have sold another brand, but can't remember.

Yeah, I remember the lawn mower place. I don't recall them selling the higher end stuff. Seems like they carried Murrays etc?

Murray sounds about right for the place on Gray. i had a Takara 10 speed so maybe that came from WD. i would have sworn it was Miller. when i bought an old Nishiki frame i've built into a single speed, there was a Takara for sale at the "swap" but instead of nostalgia i went with the better frame/fork--double butted/tanged. plus, you can't beat the early-mid 80's black/green styling.

sounds like getting to know the little shop guy is worth it. i try and spread my smaller purchases around a couple stores so i'm a familiar face and feel comfortable asking questions here and there. i'd recommend if you get a new bike pony up a little and get a new set of Allen wrenches made for bikes from a quality maker like Pablo's or Park. they stronger and longer handled for leverage (which can be helpful). 25-30$.

King Crimson
9/15/2009, 10:14 AM
one of these "y" jobs is pretty handy for 10$ and everyday stuff

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Xn5f98xZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

sooneron
9/15/2009, 03:05 PM
in

sooneron
9/15/2009, 10:07 PM
Alright, I'm pulling the trigger. Found a really good bike shop and they're knocking about $50 off the price. It comes in two colors.
The Sooner in me likes this one-

(caution it's a large file)

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2010/xl/72fx_red.jpg

but I also think this one just looks really sweet -

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2010/xl/72fx_platinum.jpg