PDA

View Full Version : Jones facing challenge to juice OU's offense

Crimson Kid
9/10/2009, 08:30 PM
Didn't see this posted.

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Despite the dire straits their team is facing, Oklahoma players still can joke with new starting quarterback Landry Jones about the growing fame of he and his mustache.

Fear the stache!!
http://gallery.unrealspawnboard.com/albums/userpics/10146/LJ3.jpg
If Landry Jones was nervous about taking over for Sam Bradford, he didn't show it versus BYU.

The redshirt freshman will replace Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford for the foreseeable future. And the Sooners' new quarterback’s facial hair is providing some levity for his teammates following the loss of Bradford and tight end Jermaine Gresham.

“We tease him about the mustache all the time,” Oklahoma tackle Trent Williams said. “I’m predicting before the year is over, he’ll shave that thing off.”

His teammates have quickly gravitated to the redshirt freshman who has been pressed into duty after Bradford’s shoulder injury last week against BYU.

Despite Bradford's absence, Jones is confident in his abilities for as long as he is needed.

“It's very unfortunate, but right now we have to move on and I have some huge shoes to fill,” Jones told reporters earlier this week. “So I have to pick my game up as well.”

His teammates have said that Jones reminds them of Bradford when he was younger because of his size, football acumen and his demeanor around his teammates.

“Landry is a laid-back dude,” senior wide receiver Adron Tennell said. “He’s a very easy-going guy. And with him now, when he talks we all listen.”

Jones’ first taste of action was a mixed mag in the Sooners’ season-opening loss to BYU, as he completed only 6 of 12 passes for 51 yards. But the Sooners didn’t turn the ball over with him in charge and he didn’t make a bad throw.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was particularly pleased with Jones’ reaction after he took over the team.

“He couldn’t have handled it better,” Stoops said. “I didn’t see him flinch once.”

During a heralded career at Artesia (N.M.) High School, Jones led his school to two state championships and threw 89 touchdown passes in his two seasons as a starter. He was an Under Armour ESPN All-American, a Parade All-American and the New Mexico Gatorade Player of the Year.

He’s brings a similar skill set as Bradford, without nearly the experience. His work as a redshirt gave him a slight edge over freshman Drew Allen for the backup job in training camp.

“I have no doubt he’ll do a good job,” Tennell said. “No matter what quarterback is out there, we’ll try to make it easier for him. We’ve just got to do a better job of catching the ball.”

The Sooners likely won’t be tested as much against Idaho State, an FCS school that started the season with a 50-3 loss at Arizona State. But it will still test Jones’ confidence, which has grown with his experience.

“I feel really comfortable now,” Jones told reporters earlier this week. “I have a year under my belt. I kind of have all my checks down and have a feel for the tempo. So I feel really good.”

No coach in the Big 12 has traditionally been able to circle the wagons in times of adversity like Stoops.

The Sooners claimed the Big 12 championship in two of the last three seasons after early-season losses to Texas. In 2006, they overcame the training camp loss of Rhett Bomar after he was kicked off the team. Later that season, Stoops coached around the injury of Adrian Peterson for the second half of the season and still won the Big 12 championship.

“Our guys know we expect whoever’s out there to do well,” Stoops said. “You have to move forward and play with the guys you have. Just like with all of the other injuries, somebody’s got to step up and play. That’s what a team does.”

stoopified
9/10/2009, 08:54 PM
Shave it dude

OUAlumni1990
9/10/2009, 09:00 PM
yeah, the stache has got to go

Boomer38Sooner
9/10/2009, 09:24 PM
i like it. keep it Landry! :>{)

: = eyes
> = nose
{ = beast stache
) = mouth

Lott's Bandana
9/10/2009, 09:33 PM
The Dirty Landry

rainiersooner
9/10/2009, 09:36 PM
Hey, if the 'stache can raise the spirits of the team, keep it, even if it does look stupid.

rainiersooner
9/10/2009, 09:37 PM
The Dirty Landry

Awesome!

beer4me
9/10/2009, 09:45 PM
Don 't mess with karma

GottaHavePride
9/10/2009, 10:05 PM
What karma?

Landry + stache = loss to BYU

Landry - stache = ???

beer4me
9/10/2009, 10:13 PM
What karma?

Landry + stache = loss to BYU

Landry - stache = ???

Read the board he is the second coming....but that aside HE did not lose that game by himself there were 10 others on his side of the ball and 11 on the other side of the ball for OU

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2009, 10:28 PM
Dazzle 'em with the stache -- then throw it over the coverage for six!

GottaHavePride
9/10/2009, 11:14 PM
Read the board he is the second coming....but that aside HE did not lose that game by himself there were 10 others on his side of the ball and 11 on the other side of the ball for OU

That's not what I meant. I meant, basically, if karma had a hand in our last game then hell yes, by all means, mess with karma. ;)

Soonerus
9/10/2009, 11:27 PM
lose the faux stache...

olevetonahill
9/10/2009, 11:39 PM
I dont care if he wants to paste a elm leaf under his nose
Hes our man and he will be great
Yall do remember another REDSHIRT freshman that took over our team dont ya ? How he do so far ?;)

pardon the interREDtion
9/11/2009, 02:15 PM
Dye it red.

achiro
9/11/2009, 02:47 PM
Dye it red.

Why red?:confused:

TheUnnamedSooner
9/11/2009, 03:28 PM
“I have no doubt he’ll do a good job,” Tennell said. “No matter what quarterback is out there, we’ll try to make it easier for him. We’ve just got to do a better job of catching the ball.”

I couldn't agree more

Jello Biafra
9/11/2009, 04:19 PM
I dont care if he wants to paste a elm leaf under his nose
Hes our man and he will be great
Yall do remember another REDSHIRT freshman that took over our team dont ya ? How he do so far ?;)

not to mention the fact that we had another fairly successfull QB take over a team as a RS freshman/Sophmore beating out several highly recruited individuals....he has a life sized trophy on the east side of the stadium as we speak.

as i recall, when he took over the reigns, many many people said we were going to be doomed until we got some experience. unless my memory is jacked, (and my research sucks) he finished his career, at 26-3 as a starter with multiple awards to his name.

beer4me
9/11/2009, 05:55 PM
That's not what I meant. I meant, basically, if karma had a hand in our last game then hell yes, by all means, mess with karma. ;)

It's all kewl what I was referring to was the fact that under the circumstances LJ done a heck of a good job for his first under pressure start.

If he would have more help on the O line and.....cough....cough play calling....calling time outs...etc

Remember we had the chance to win with a (albeit very long) field goal.

Even in a loss that all adds up to GOOD karma IMHO.

OK2U
9/11/2009, 06:30 PM
It's not a stache.
It's just a thin beard, but when you wear a helmet all you can see is the upper lip.

leave the kid alone and let him kick some a**.

beer4me
9/11/2009, 06:35 PM
It's not a stache.
It's just a thin beard, but when you wear a helmet all you can see is the upper lip.

leave the kid alone and let him kick some a**.

AMEN now pass the plate:D :D :D

Dan Thompson
9/11/2009, 06:39 PM
Keep as long as he wins.

OK2U
9/11/2009, 09:00 PM
THIS IS A 'STACHE:
http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/sports/longhorns/082509_Colt_McCoy_Sports_Mustache_for_Camp

PLaw
9/12/2009, 07:16 AM
Hey, Landry's 'stache is much better than Colt's.

BOOMER
It's always a big deal when OU loses - the bar of success is set high and expectations are perfection.