PDA

View Full Version : The loss really upset me, but I found a few bright spots

Dan Thompson
9/10/2009, 03:04 PM
I was glad to see Reynolds was stopping the runs up the middle. Sad to see he is not very fast when trying to chace down a runner.
The special teams did not let one kick-off go for a TD

No punt returns went for a TD.

Jump in here and add anything you can think off that was positive.

CtheB
9/10/2009, 03:05 PM
Jimmy Stevens 2 for 2 FG, 1 for 1 PAT...warm up the Groza Award. :)

CtheB
9/10/2009, 03:06 PM
Oh, and a young fella some call "G.K.".

JLEW1818
i was hammered

zeptrey
Me too...can't remember much after Bradford went down.

delhalew
9/10/2009, 03:09 PM
Special Teams-much improved.

Murrey looked good when not dropping the ball.

Caleb caught a couple.

Run defense was salty.

LANDRY SHOWED POISE UNDER PRESSURE.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/10/2009, 03:10 PM
15 pancakes and 20 knockdowns for Brody on the line.
Gerald McCoy is a freak.
Travis Lewis looks like he's ready to become one of the elite LBs in thr country.
Kickoffs were decently deep and not being fielded at the 20-25.
Guys on special teams coverage were playing to knock someone's block off and it showed.

OUEarl
9/10/2009, 03:16 PM
McCoy maybe the best D tackle in the country right now--4 tackles for loss.

Murray rushed for 5.8 ypc, the fumble hurt alot though.

Brown rushed for 4.2 ypc.

Caleb had a nice night, 4 catches for 57 yards.

The defense was stout on 1st and 2nd down, not so much on 3rd and long.

Bottom line, we got work to do, but I absolutely can't wait for the rest of this season!!!

Hot Rod
9/10/2009, 03:17 PM
Was not behind in the game until the 4th qtr.

Didn't hit Jerry's Jumbotron.

No interceptions.

Gresho Murford
9/10/2009, 03:18 PM
Our defense didn't look AS bad as FSU's on their opponents final drive

rainiersooner
9/10/2009, 03:38 PM
Bottom line, we got work to do, but I absolutely can't wait for the rest of this season!!!

You're right!! I'm back and ready to watch! :D

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2009, 03:46 PM
The special teams did not let one kick-off go for a TD

'Tis true, but I would have gladly watched a TD returned against us if we would have been able to kick-off 10+ times.

Watching Gerald McCoy was worth the price of admission.

Jones is poised and has a strong arm. I wish I got the game this week just to watch him after a week of practice with the 1st unit.

TXBOOMER
9/10/2009, 03:47 PM
Gerald is a beast!

Great effort by the entire D Line.

RR back plugging run lanes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can gain a little speed. OC's will be trying to isolate him in the passing game if not.

Stevens good job.

goingoneight
9/10/2009, 03:51 PM
I don't get where people thought RR was slow... he ran down a receiver about 40 lbs lighter than him.

Collier11
9/10/2009, 04:04 PM
^^^ thats what I was thinking, he looked good to me

fwsooner22
9/10/2009, 04:11 PM
Penalties and Turnovers get you beat.....Oh sorry.....only positives...my bad

Toronto Sooner
9/10/2009, 04:56 PM
1) GK = monster (fast becoming legendary)

2) T. Lewis can rock like no other

3) RR - solid!

4) B. Caleb (4 smooth catches) was everything I thought he was (A. Tennell was everything I thought he was too, unfortunately - prove us wrong for a change Adron)

5) D. Miller showed just the tip of his enormous potential - KW needs use him more (take advance of his size, especially since Gresham's size is no longer in the lineup)

6) Laundry has a really nice touch on his passes (he also showed arm strength with the 10 to 15 yard passes, along with good accuracy within that range)

7) J. Beal showed flashes of his big play capabilities

8) Cornerbacks dominated with the exception of a few boneheaded plays (which ended up being game changers) - correctable for the future games

9) Most of the problems in the game were due to mental issues, errors and guys not stepping us. Those are all correctable. OU is not a flash in the pan / one year wonder program. Too much talent and abilities to not overcome problems. Guys need to step up and earn the right to represent the great Sooner tradition on the field.

I Am Right
9/10/2009, 06:38 PM
The bright spots were totally dimmed by the loss.

RedstickSooner
9/10/2009, 06:54 PM
Didn't we already have a pretty long thread on positives we took from the game?

1) None of our players tore off their helmets during the middle of a play so they could begin to passionately make out with one another. NTTAWWT, aside from it being against the rules to take your helmet off during a play.

2) None of our runners or wideouts got confused about which endzone was ours, to then proceed to then run the ball back for a safety.

3) McCoy.

4) In the second half our offensive line began to show it was better conditioned than the BYU defense, and we were running well on them 'til we outsmarted ourselves and started passing a bunch.

5) While every player on the field managed to draw a flag or two, I don't believe anyone on our coaching staff was flagged for anything.

6) Special teams were non-disastrous, and even had a few shining moments of exemplary play.

7) We still have really cool uniforms, and it still makes me giddy with anticipation anytime I see players in 'em take the field.

8) Boomer and Sooner got a lot of rest pulling the wagon, in comparison to how things were last year.

9) No color commentators flashed any fluff stories to the screen about any of our players having played a heartwarming but career-ending year of quasi-professional football.

10) Travis Lewis.

AlbqSooner
9/10/2009, 07:31 PM
DeMontre Hurst

Asparagus
9/10/2009, 07:47 PM
I can think of lots of positives, but I'm a BYU fan. But, putting myself in Sooner shoes, I'd second what some others here have said about Gerald McCoy. I was really impressed with him. In fact, I thought your defense did well in general; I don't think the loss was for any lack of effort on their part. I think your defense should certainly be up to the task of keeping you in games until Landry Jones gets comfortable out there.

Incidentally, thanks for being a classy bunch. From people who went to the game I've heard almost unanimously positive reports on Oklahoma fans.

Collier11
9/10/2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for not being a ******, JK!

BYU fans were cool as far as I am concerned. Its just too bad we couldnt play the game without our full team, regardless good game

Soonerfan88
9/10/2009, 08:01 PM
To repeat - McCoy & entire dline, Lewis, Hurst, special teams w/shoutout to Stevens & Way

Not in the way we wanted, but Landry got playing time which will make us better next year.

Exciting new receivers: Caleb, Miller, and Reynolds

Chris Brown just continues to quietly gain yards and move up the all-time list at OU.

And my favorite moment, Corey Wilson leading the team out of the tunnel.