PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Finding Enthusiasm

kustang619
9/10/2009, 12:13 PM
I will be traveling to Tulsa today from St. Louis and then head to Norman for the game on Saturday. I was unable to head to Dallas last week so this will be my first game of the season. I usually drive down for 3 or 4 games a year but ever since the loss to BYU I have lost enthusiasm for traveling down to the game...I have never experienced a lack of enthusiasm for OU football! Anyone else having similar feelings? :confused:

adoniijahsooner
9/10/2009, 12:15 PM
I will be traveling to Tulsa today from St. Louis and then head to Norman for the game on Saturday. I was unable to head to Dallas last week so this will be my first game of the season. I usually drive down for 3 or 4 games a year but ever since the loss to BYU I have lost enthusiasm for traveling down to the game...I have never experienced a lack of enthusiasm for OU football! Anyone else having similar feelings? :confused:

You can send me your tickets, i'll go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooner ngintunr
9/10/2009, 12:18 PM
I have no idea what the **** you are talking about.

okiewaker
9/10/2009, 12:19 PM
Just got my tickets today. I am ready

okiewaker
9/10/2009, 12:21 PM
The way I look at it is, we are just giving lesser programs, which is everyone, a head start.

beer4me
9/10/2009, 12:22 PM
I sit through Gibbs, smellofburbon, blake uhm no.

Walking out of Jerry's World last sat night was a long walk to be sure to the bus but we can still win the Big 12 that goal is not out of reach yet.

okiewaker
9/10/2009, 12:40 PM
Troughs of beer, nice things to look at, surrounded by many friends and brothers, watching the greatest college football team in history, and ending with victory. Not to mention it's another teams turn to take it on the chin this saturday and I dont mean just Idaho st. Can't wait.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/10/2009, 12:56 PM
Troughs of beer, nice things to look at, surrounded by many friends and brothers, watching the greatest college football team in history, and ending with victory. Not to mention it's another teams turn to take it on the chin this saturday and I dont mean just Idaho st. Can't wait.

Yeah. Coming up with my dad, meeting my bro and his wife there, maybe bring Frog Jr if his youth football game ends early enough. Do a little tailgating, watch OU win by 50-60 points. No it isn't going to have the atmosphere of OU-TT last year but it should be a good day. One of my favorites of the whole year.

Hotrod3157
9/10/2009, 12:59 PM
Its a little tough after a weekend that made us reset some of our expectations for the season. Realizing that we may not be a national title contender right now stings but things can get turned around. I adjusted my expectations and am ready for the weekend. Im hoping I won't have to adjust them again the rest of the season. Ready to watch the game and see some improvement from week 1.

kustang619
9/10/2009, 01:01 PM
Its a little tough after a weekend that made us reset some of our expectations for the season. Realizing that we may not be a national title contender right now stings but things can get turned around. I adjusted my expectations and am ready for the weekend. Im hoping I won't have to adjust them again the rest of the season. Ready to watch the game and see some improvement from week 1.

I like ^

kustang619
9/10/2009, 01:04 PM
my luster is back :D

soonersweetie
9/10/2009, 01:10 PM
Yea, last Saturday was disappointing. However, I know all of that will be gone when I walk up the ramp into the north endzone and look out over the emerald green turf and see our boys practicing in their crimson. There will be an excitement in the air (even if it is Idaho State). It is our home opener!! It is one of my favorite times of the year. Gives me chills every time.

kustang619
9/10/2009, 01:26 PM
I love the chills... One of my favorite moments is when I hear, "It's football tiiiime in Oklahoma!"...

Sooner FLiP
9/10/2009, 01:57 PM
no idea what you are talking about. i was sad the night of the loss. come Sunday morning i put my flags back on the car and started getting hyped for idaho state. home games = mucho enthusiasm

OUEarl
9/10/2009, 02:06 PM
No!!! Those feelings you're having are for spoiled people who get the wonderful opportunity to go to a home game 3-4 times a year. Saturday, I'll be going to my first game in Norman since 2001. If I had the chance to go down 3-4 times a year, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd say you better find your enthusiasm real quick, or your fan status is questionable at best in my opinion!! By the way, anyone else have passes for the Sooner Club tailgate...just wondering what its like, I can't wait!!!

IronSoonerMan
9/10/2009, 02:12 PM
Anyone else having similar feelings?

Nope!

Yankeeracers
9/10/2009, 02:25 PM
I have to echo these sentiments. Saturdays for me for good or for worse has been watching Crimson and Cream. I'm not trying to be a jerk or down play your feelings, but It's OU football I can't imagine not being excited.

kustang619
9/10/2009, 02:31 PM
No!!! Those feelings you're having are for spoiled people who get the wonderful opportunity to go to a home game 3-4 times a year. Saturday, I'll be going to my first game in Norman since 2001. If I had the chance to go down 3-4 times a year, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd say you better find your enthusiasm real quick, or your fan status is questionable at best in my opinion!! By the way, anyone else have passes for the Sooner Club tailgate...just wondering what its like, I can't wait!!!

You are going to question my fan status because I was frustrated with the lack of discipline that our team showed causing us to lose a winable game? I never said that I threw in the towel or stopped supporting them. My flags are still flying. My point was that I was bummed for the performance that they gave on Saturday. I guess that I should also apologize for buying tickets for the games that I attend. I never knew that you were spoiled because you spent your own money to purchase tickets to the greatest football venue in the world.

unbiasedtruth
9/10/2009, 02:35 PM
Enthusiasm for Sooner football..... mine started the morning after the Orange Bowl last January. did it swoon a little last Saturday walking out of Jerry's boondoggle? Not one damn bit. was there a bit of dissappointment? yes there was because over the course of 45 years I have watch OU win more season openers than lose. am I discouraged? Heck no, in fact I, and I pretty sure I am a minority here, look forward to watching this team grow during the season.

Win or Lose.... I'm still OU.....

jharkins
9/10/2009, 02:53 PM
I have found the best medicine for a tough loss is watching a game at the great Memorial Stadium. After the band and football video everything seems like it is going to be ok! Boomer and I can't wait to be in the stands for every OU home game.

OUEarl
9/10/2009, 03:01 PM
I don't think you're spoiled because you spend your own money to go to games. And maybe spoiled was too harsh a word. However, it would seem that you're taking it for granted that you can go to that many games and you start to lose the passion to do so after one bad showing. Not trying to start wars here, I think we're all on the same side! So I do apologize if you took offense to my posting.

Boomer Sooner!!

CtheB
9/10/2009, 03:01 PM
Granted, the last time we suffered a loss in the first game we still had AD to look forward to all year, and this year our offensive stars are graduated or injured, but still....THIS IS OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL MAN! We get the thrill of the chase three months of every year, occupy the stadium 6 or 7 times every year to watch! No loss against BYU is going to knock us off our perch, we still have everything in front of us! This team has significantly more talent than they did in 2005, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and that team was in the conference chase in late October.

Get your dobber out of the dirt my friend! The rest of the season starts in 2 days!

Let's pick this s*** up, and get back to work.

SunnySooner
9/10/2009, 03:12 PM
I'm going to OU/Miami, the first OU game I've been able to attend in a long time, and I don't care if we're fielding the baseball/track kids because the entire football team is in bodycasts, I will be so excited I probably won't be able to sleep! Just wait til you get there, hear that band, see the Schooner, and a sea of crimson, you'll get your mojo back!! Plus, beating the snot out of ISU will make you feel loads better. Just go and yell and let our boys know we're still behind them, OK? They can't hear me from down here!!!

kustang619
9/10/2009, 03:13 PM
Maybe lack of enthusiasm was a bad way to word it... I am a Sooner through and through....Just disappointed...I'm on track. Boomer Sooner!

A-M
9/10/2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe lack of enthusiasm was a bad way to word it... I am a Sooner through and through....Just disappointed...I'm on track. Boomer Sooner!

I think we all are disappointed. However, we are the Sooners and they never give up. Enjoy the game cause I won't be able to see it.

RedstickSooner
9/10/2009, 05:44 PM
I have less enthusiasm, but it's not because I don't think we'll have a good year (whether we do or not is totally up in the air 'til we see how the line improves and how our QB play is gonna be).

For me, it's because the season started out broken - it's like watching a footrace, when the guy you're rooting for falls down right as he comes off the blocks. Sorta doesn't seem like a footrace anymore, but not because he might lose. More because he didn't ever get started, and that doesn't seem fair.

I'd have rather our talented players left and got paid in the NFL than what we've seen happen. In spite of how often I've seen it otherwise, I still believe the universe should be a fair, equitable place.

This kind of thing shouldn't happen.

So, yeah, I'm having trouble finding enthusiasm, but it's for more spiritual reasons, than simple wins and losses. This season doesn't seem real. As such, it's hard to get worked up for it. Not even when I remind myself of how few games there are every season, or how long I'll have to wait once the season is over.

A-M
9/11/2009, 10:24 AM
RedstickSooner:
Have you heard of that old saying "**** Happens"? Well, it does in all of life and it hit us big Saturday night. Here's hoping that it finds its way to some other team tomorrow! Life will get better, I promise.

ouwapiti
9/11/2009, 10:31 AM
man, my enthusiasm went like air escaping a balloon when sam was writhing on the field....and then the coaching gaffes on the goalline, ala florida, pretty much did me in.....hopefully around 3pm oct 17 everything will be back to normal and right with the world as we know it

OUmillenium
9/11/2009, 12:08 PM
I have been so pist/depressed over that game all week. Yeah, Sam going down was awful. But I have officially lost a lot of confidence in the coaching on this team. Venables d looked great at times but its obvious he is going to call WAAAAAAAY too much zone d again this year. Hello, 400 yds of offense by our opponents.

Not sure why Wilson broke out the TCU replay. Just a terrible job of preparation and in game adjustments. Something needs to change.

Play to win, all the time.

picasso
9/11/2009, 12:19 PM

sincerely,

Sooner4FCD
9/11/2009, 12:35 PM
Anyone who isn't excited is a friggin *****. So we lost a game? waaaaaaah support your university! I'm leaving later to make the first home game since I graduated in December and I can't wait! F the win-loss record.

birddog
9/11/2009, 12:42 PM
i'd rather lose the opener and then let the flies around us start dropping, just in time for us to get our **** together and finish off with a 1-loss season. then we'll see which flies dropped the fastest and hardest and that'll give us a chance to end with a championship.

Asparagus
9/11/2009, 06:29 PM
I'm afraid I might sound obnoxious saying this, being a BYU fan, but I think I may understand how you feel. Being in the conference we're in, we start every season knowing that we'll have to run the table to have a shot at a BCS bowl. Consequently, the first loss always stings pretty badly. But there are always other worthwhile goals the team can attain, and you can get excited about those.

Remember that you're actually in a very good position; being in a well-respected conference, the Sooners can, in spite of the rocky start, still reach the NC game. Sam's injury isn't season-ending, and I expect that the O-line will learn quickly and give him a chance to carry you through conference play. If a two-loss LSU can win it all, I don't see why anyone should count Oklahoma out this early in the season.

BoulderSooner79
9/11/2009, 06:51 PM
Good thoughts, but why "Asparagus"? If you get eaten by a polar bear, will you make his urine smell funny?

I Am Right
9/11/2009, 06:53 PM
We have reservations at a bar for after the game, that is what we are looking forward to.

spacecadet
9/11/2009, 06:57 PM
Go enjoy the game and keep one eye on the play clock!

Asparagus
9/11/2009, 07:05 PM
Good thoughts, but why "Asparagus"? If you get eaten by a polar bear, will you make his urine smell funny?

I don't have a good reason for "Asparagus." I mean, I like asparagus, but I don't know why it came to mind when I was trying to think of a screen name.

I can only hope that, if I were devoured by some vicious animal, I would posthumously take revenge by making its urine smell funny. I live in Tucson, so I feel safe from polar bears; I'm more afraid of a cougar attack (ironically).

unbiasedtruth
9/11/2009, 07:47 PM
I'm more afraid of a cougar attack (ironically).

2 or 4 legged cougars?

SoonerObsession
9/11/2009, 07:57 PM
All OU fans including me are spoiled rotten. OUr team has such winning tradition that when a NC is not looking good we sulk. I was full blown depressed last week after the loss. I got to thinking about how ridiculous it was for me to let it effect me that way. These guys work so hard and deserve our enthusiasm even if they are not the best team in the nation.

engineer24
9/11/2009, 10:48 PM
I have been so pist/depressed over that game all week. Yeah, Sam going down was awful. But I have officially lost a lot of confidence in the coaching on this team. Venables d looked great at times but its obvious he is going to call WAAAAAAAY too much zone d again this year. Hello, 400 yds of offense by our opponents.

Not sure why Wilson broke out the TCU replay. Just a terrible job of preparation and in game adjustments. Something needs to change.

Play to win, all the time.

Zone D is fine if your players know how to run it. Ours dont. They dont realize that you need to play tight zone D and at least try and bump guys a little bit instead of letting them run free and find the open holes (which all zones have). Watch how FSU's defense plays BYU. They will play a lot more man, but when they play zone, they wont just stand watch the guys run around them they will actually press them some and break up their timing, which is something OU doesnt know how to do under Venables.

Venables broadcasts the blitz 5 seconds before the snap, doesnt use enough line twists, stunts, confusion so good QBs can easily picu pthe blitz and look for the open guy.

A-M
9/12/2009, 08:33 AM
Zone D is fine if your players know how to run it. Ours dont. They dont realize that you need to play tight zone D and at least try and bump guys a little bit instead of letting them run free and find the open holes (which all zones have). Watch how FSU's defense plays BYU. They will play a lot more man, but when they play zone, they wont just stand watch the guys run around them they will actually press them some and break up their timing, which is something OU doesnt know how to do under Venables.

Venables broadcasts the blitz 5 seconds before the snap, doesnt use enough line twists, stunts, confusion so good QBs can easily picu pthe blitz and look for the open guy.

He did this over and over and over during the game. Hope that changes fast!