PDA

View Full Version : interesting story

cb4ou
9/10/2009, 11:28 AM
Lose one game and we have fallen this far??

Look away.

It's not nice to stare, so avert your gaze from Norman, where the spin around Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford's AC joint is in overdrive. Instead, shift your focus nearly 100 miles north to Stillwater, where something amazing and worthy of your attention is occurring.

Oklahoma State, after dumping Georgia, 24-10, is suddenly a big deal — ranked in the top five of The Associated Press' Top 25 for the first time since 1985, star wide receiver Dez Bryant splashed across the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated.

"Overall, (Saturday) may have been one of the best days we've had here for everybody involved," OSU coach Mike Gundy said.

Really, it's long overdue. It's about time the Cowboys moved out of the sizeable crimson and cream shadow cast by their rivals.

It's the same ol' story with the Sooners — always good, but recently, never good enough in the big game. Oklahoma fans might counter that with the argument that at least their team reaches those big games, and they'd have a point.

But what's one of the first things to spring to mind when you think of Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops? I'll bet it's how little success the Sooners have had in BCS games. That's become a considerable threat to Stoops' legacy.

Now, at Oklahoma State, Mike Gundy doesn't have a legacy. He hasn't done enough — not as a coach and not as a former player. But he does have a reputation, and Saturday's victory against the Bulldogs — we're now obligated to reference the superiority of the SEC and its storied programs — might be enough to distance the Cowboys' coach from all of the tired comments and jokes about his "I'm a man ... I'm 40" remarks.

Or maybe not.

But ignore the Cowboys coach for a moment and concentrate on the team, which might feature the Big 12's best offense. And it's O.K. to keep watching when Bryant, quarterback Zac Robinson and running back Kendall Hunter leave the field. The defense, under another OSU alum, new coordinator Bill Young, finally has some bite.

"I know that (Young) had a lot invested in this because he's the new guy on the block, and we haven't played very well on defense here in a long time," Gundy said.

Do you know who else has a lot invested? Financier T. Boone Pickens, who funded the nearly $300 million renovation of the stadium that, of course, bears his name. A record crowd of more than 53,000 witnessed OSU fall behind, 7-0, on the game's opening drive, and the murmurs — not to mention the Tweets — were flying, all essentially with the same subtext.

It's safe to say that Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy values the contributions of billionaire booster T. Boone Pickens. (Christian Petersen / Getty Images)

Another Big 12 meltdown against a legitimate SEC defense.

Stoops should shoulder a large share of the blame for such logic given the Sooners' struggles on the grand stage. And normally, the Big 12 does flail in such showcases.

But Gundy and the Cowboys didn't fold, and expectations are grand.

Last year, 9-4 was considered a breakthrough season. This year, it'd be a disappointment.

This is elite territory, and the challenge now is sustaining the momentum — for the rest of the season (this week's matchup with Houston is a classic trap) and moving forward. With its facilities — thanks to Pickens' cash — OSU should always be a threat in the Big 12 and not every 25 years or so.

"Okie Lite," as the school is sometimes mockingly referred to, should be no more. Especially if the Cowboys can handle No. 2 Texas at home Oct. 31 and then withstand their annual "Bedlam" grudge match with the Sooners in Norman on Nov. 28.

"Everyone's still excited, of course, but we're trying to move on to the next game," fullback Bryant Ward said. "But it was a big win. It's hard to move on, but we are."

And all of you should, too.

Please, get over Bradford's absence. Sure, he's the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, but it's Oklahoma — the Sooners should have a capable backup (or two). If his injury dashes OU's title hopes, it's unfortunate but it's also football. These things tend to happen.

But in Stillwater, there's something else happening, something worth following.

Something that doesn't happen very often.

Something new.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/10/2009, 11:34 AM
And if Robinson gets leveled then it's season over for them

kustang619
9/10/2009, 11:46 AM
yeah...There is something that has started...It's another season...They win one game and now they are a powerhouse? Ridiculous! Success takes place over a season, not a game...And to move out of the Crimson and Creams shadow, they might need to beat OU on a constant basis...

sooneron
9/10/2009, 11:50 AM
DON'T BEDOWNGRADE OUR WIN!!!! [hairGel]

beer4me
9/10/2009, 11:53 AM
yeah...There is something that has started...It's another season...They win one game and now they are a powerhouse? Ridiculous! Success takes place over a season, not a game...And to move out of the Crimson and Creams shadow, they might need to beat OU on a constant basis...

This ^ plus winning a few B12 CS might help

CBUS_SOONER
9/10/2009, 11:56 AM
I love how losing to BYU was another example of how OU can't win big games. Yet, if we beat them it would not have been considered a big win. Last yr., Cincy, TCU, Tech, OSU, and Mizz were not big wins. If we lose though...

Gresho Murford
9/10/2009, 11:57 AM
I love how losing to BYU was another example of how OU can't win big games. Yet, if we beat them it would not have been considered a big win. Last yr., Cincy, TCU, Tech, OSU, and Mizz were not big wins. If we lose though...

exactedlly

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/10/2009, 12:33 PM
Good, more bandwagon jumpers for the sheep humpers. That is ok, those people will be back over here at the end of the season, you know, when it counts.

yermom
9/10/2009, 01:02 PM
they have to beat OU and Texas to get anywhere, really

if they do that, then yes, i'll give them props

stoops the eternal pimp
9/10/2009, 01:04 PM
With the stud Houston has at quarterback, they better think about winning this week

yermom
9/10/2009, 01:07 PM
yeah, that won't be an easy game. if it was in Houston it might be really tough. they should have the edge at home though

Dio
9/10/2009, 01:11 PM
Jenni Carlson thinks that article is weak.

Weak.

Article.

Jello Biafra
9/10/2009, 01:19 PM
sorry. they just dont look that tough to me. let them pump themselves up as far as they need to feel competent. the cream will rise to the top. they know it. the state knows it and so does the big xii. i doubt anyone will melt under the pressure of thier sea(more like lake ) of orange when stepping into thier barn.

Sooner4FCD
9/10/2009, 01:22 PM
Gonna be so hilarious when they're the highly ranked flavor of the year coming into Norman just like Tech did last year and they get their asses whipped.

sooneron
9/10/2009, 01:26 PM
yeah, that won't be an easy game. if it was in Houston it might be really tough. they should have the edge at home though

What's the over/under on attendance?

45K "real fans that went to school in stoolwater"?

DMAFB_Sooner08
9/10/2009, 01:47 PM
a good friend told me "they couldn't even seal the deal when they had Sanders & Thomas, what makes you think they will now"

Denton_Sooner
9/10/2009, 02:39 PM
Bottom line is that the Big XII has been dominated by Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska since inception.. OSU has as many Big XII championship appearances as Baylor and Iowa State...zero.

This being the case, there always will be the "Next big thing" in this conference from year to year.

There is a difference in a great team and a great program.. Great teams willexcite the fanbase on a year to year basis, while great programs produce great teams on a year to year basis.

Until OSU wins consistantly from year to year, they will always be relegated to the title "great team" if they have success for a given year.

They have years to go before they can be discussed as a great program.

Regardless of the outcome of the balance of schedules this year, the Sooners will always be THE program of The State of Oklahoma. That Crimson and Cream shadow won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

One dream season (even one week into it mind you) does not a program make.

Yankeeracers
9/10/2009, 02:47 PM
It's a sweet little piece that should get poke fans happy. Someone gave em' a shot in the shoulder and a buck up champ things will turn around. The truth is Oklahoma is having a down year and OSU is seeing an investment in some good players. These things come in waves, let's remember those Cardinals of the NFL in 08/09.

TexasEx4OU
9/10/2009, 03:14 PM
yeah...There is something that has started...It's another season...They win one game and now they are a powerhouse? Ridiculous! Success takes place over multiple, winning, championship seasons, not a game...And to move out of the Crimson and Creams shadow, they might need to beat OU on a constant basis...

Fixed. And until they can say the same, they'll still be Okie Lite.

stoopified
9/10/2009, 09:24 PM
I love how losing to BYU was another example of how OU can't win big games. Yet, if we beat them it would not have been considered a big win. Last yr., Cincy, TCU, Tech, OSU, and Mizz were not big wins. If we lose though...Exactly.Yeah Bob can't win Big games,after all he is 4-6 in bowl games.On the other hand he is 6-4 vs. Mack and UT, also 6-1 in Big 12 CCG.Apparently UT and CCG games aren't big.

PLaw
9/11/2009, 07:37 AM

yeah, by one freakin' point with what would have been two 09 NFL first round picks on the bench and an o-coaching staff with their head up their ***.

It always a big deal when OU loses - the bar of success is set high and expectations are perfection.

BOOMER

PLaw
9/11/2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by kustang619
yeah...There is something that has started...It's another season...They win one game and now they are a powerhouse? Ridiculous! Success takes place over multiple, winning, championship decades, not a game...And to move out of the Crimson and Creams shadow, they might need to beat OU on a constant basis...

Fixed. And until they can say the same, they'll still be Okie Lite.

Re-fixed.

BOOMER

cheezyq
9/11/2009, 09:58 AM
Good, more bandwagon jumpers for the sheep humpers. That is ok, those people will be back over here at the end of the season, you know, when it counts.

This made me laugh because, according to past OSU supporters, they don't have bandwagon fans. All their fans are graduates of the university and OU sucks because we have fans that didn't graduate at the school.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/11/2009, 04:16 PM
So just because they beat a crappy Georgia team with no offense they are going to win it all? Seriously, Cox would not start anywhere in the Big XII.
Probably the worst team GA has had in years.

silverwheels
9/11/2009, 04:22 PM
Nothing in Stillwater is worth following.

prrriiide
9/11/2009, 04:26 PM
yeah...There is something that has started

If it's coming from Stoolwater, it's most likely just gas.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/11/2009, 04:27 PM
And don't forget the only people who work in the food business are OU fans and always get orders wrong. Also they don't give out bachelor degrees at osu...they go straight to P.H.D and all get paid millions a year.

AlbqSooner
9/11/2009, 08:02 PM
" A RECORD CROWD of more than 53,000 witnessed OSU fall behind, . . ."

Nuf said.

tulsaoilerfan
9/11/2009, 09:35 PM
So the Pokes barely beat a Georgia team that was starting a new QB that may not have been healthy; yeah, i'm really impressed

btk108
9/11/2009, 09:38 PM
somebody hand me a tissue...I think I may cry.

PhiDeltBeers
9/11/2009, 10:30 PM
Jenni Carlson thinks that article is weak.

Weak.

Article.

I think Traber has a crush on Jenni.