PDA

View Full Version : Considering the opponent...

kbsooner
9/10/2009, 09:05 AM
will you be pissed if Landry has less than 25 pass attempts this game? False starts and fumbles aside, this team will be able to run the ball. I say we get the kid 30-35 attempts, opinions?

beer4me
9/10/2009, 09:06 AM
Ab-sore-utely he needs to get in as many throws as possible to get him the feel of the game.

sooneron
9/10/2009, 09:13 AM
< 25 would not be good. I'm guessing the 27-30 range. Of course if we jump out early, and our receivers are beating their dbacks, he may not get many passes off, just a lot of yards.

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/10/2009, 09:17 AM
I want to see 25-30 attempts with him,the o line, and receivers getting well needed game experience well into the 4th quarter. My guess is we will see 2nd string D late 3rd quarter.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/10/2009, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing them line up and run the ball down their throats. Get the OLine some confidence.

Denton_Sooner
9/10/2009, 09:45 AM
More than number of pass attempts, I would like to see a nice blend of formations/reads... Use this game to "see" as many situations witout overwhelming anything.

I would not be upset if he goes 19 of 24 and 2 scores coupled with plenty of CB and DM running wild.

I do think they will attempt more than 25, but i dont think there is a magic number that he needs to hit. Considering the opponent, i think they will let the game come to him.

CincySooner
9/10/2009, 09:49 AM
Lets be honest... any snaps are good snaps, regardless of pass/rush attempts.

The recievers need to practice blocking on the outside on running plays as much as catching. There were several runs outside last saturday that would have gone for many more yards if the recievers could have locked up their blocks.

sooneron
9/10/2009, 09:49 AM
Sam was 21-23 for 363 yards in his first game. I don't expect the same from Landry to a T(He's not Sam), but like I said if we jump out early and their D isn't disciplined... He won't get 25 pass attempts. We need to hammer the running game just as much as getting Landry comfortable because that will also get him comfortable. I guess I'm sort of contradicting my first post...

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2009, 10:58 AM
The game should be treated as any other with a good mix of formations and plays. (I could be cynical here about how we never do that, but there are other threads for that). Just running the ball would seem a wasted opportunity of getting Jones valuable experience. Just throwing would waste needed reps for the oline in run blocking. We need work across the board.

cougartroll2009
9/10/2009, 11:03 AM
Idaho St. had absolutely no offense against ASU last week. OU should be able to shut them out, even with second and third stringers in. This would be a perfect game to let Landry and the third string quarterback throw a lot, because even if they turn the ball over, the defense can hold them. From what I saw of Landry, he is good and should do well against good teams (Tulsa, Miami, Big 12).

For what it's worth, I think OU should have gone for it on 4th down instead of attempting the 54 yeard FG, even with a freshman quarterback. If Landry had converted, OU probably wins because the attempt would have been in the 30 yard range. If he didn't, the chances weren't good on a really long field goal anyway.

Gresho Murford
9/10/2009, 11:06 AM
Idaho St. had absolutely no offense against ASU last week. OU should be able to shut them out, even with second and third stringers in. This would be a perfect game to let Landry and the third string quarterback throw a lot, because even if they turn the ball over, the defense can hold them. From what I saw of Landry, he is good and should do well against good teams (Tulsa, Miami, Big 12).

For what it's worth, I think OU should have gone for it on 4th down instead of attempting the 54 yeard FG, even with a freshman quarterback. If Landry had converted, OU probably wins because the attempt would have been in the 30 yard range. If he didn't, the chances weren't good on a really long field goal anyway.

On 4th and 6 at the goalline yes. But what was it on that field goal attempt? Like 4th and 15? Im guessing that Way had proved that he could hit that distance so they tried him.

Gresho Murford
9/10/2009, 11:12 AM
After looking at the box score I will be dissappointed if they score on us. They had 4 total first downs. -5 yards rushing (crazy b/c they actually had like 65 positive yards rushing and only 1 sack for 7 yards!), & 42 yards passing.

You know their defense is bad when on their football page it says "First team defense hangs tough in 50-3 loss"

Position Limit
9/10/2009, 11:12 AM
i'd be happy if jones is not sacked more than 3 times with this line.

Gresho Murford
9/10/2009, 11:14 AM
For some weird reason I am not worried about Landry as much as I think I should be. There was just something about him. He is definitely confident. He just needs experience now which he should get against our defense in practice. I hope we throw a bunch of stuff at him this week.

Cappy
9/10/2009, 11:57 AM
My thoughts on the game, unless they go deep on the first play I don't want a pass play called on the first series. Need to line up and run down the field. Gonna need to get the o-line sorted before Tulsa without Sam. After that, start mixing in some play-actions and screens and slowly open it up.

beer4me
9/10/2009, 12:12 PM
Sam was 21-23 for 363 yards in his first game. I don't expect the same from Landry to a T(He's not Sam), but like I said if we jump out early and their D isn't disciplined... He won't get 25 pass attempts. We need to hammer the running game just as much as getting Landry comfortable because that will also get him comfortable. I guess I'm sort of contradicting my first post...

No contradiction as BS79 says below all phases need to be worked on and let the mistakes that they are gonna make be in this game and not further down in the schedule.

Try to get everyone on the same page and work on how to pass block and run block.

The game should be treated as any other with a good mix of formations and plays. (I could be cynical here about how we never do that, but there are other threads for that). Just running the ball would seem a wasted opportunity of getting Jones valuable experience. Just throwing would waste needed reps for the oline in run blocking. We need work across the board.

And above all else LEARN how to protect the QB

Collier11
9/10/2009, 05:22 PM
I want to see the offense execute with crispness, I want to see our O-line dominate, I want to see our RB's dominate, and I dont want to see any dropped passes.

Considering the opponent, if I see those 4 things I will atleast be encouraged that we have got things turned around

CtheB
9/10/2009, 05:42 PM
They have three weeks to learn the "grand tour" of the offense, all possibilities. I have a feeling they are going to need more than 50% of their playbook to fool the 'canes.

Dan Thompson
9/10/2009, 05:47 PM
I want to see us go to the line a snap the ball on 3rd and short, just as fast as we can.

I want to see three TEs and some power runs.

If we get stuck in the red zone and are having trouble running it in. I would like to see a trick play on 3rd down.

When was the last time we ran the option?

I think we are getting too vanilla again.

Collier11
9/10/2009, 07:30 PM
anyone watching the Georgia tech game, im not suggesting we run the option but that is how a good team keeps the other team off of balance, beautiful fake punt, the rest of the game its not that they are being super sneaky, just not running the same crap over and over

goingoneight
9/10/2009, 07:54 PM
Running the wishbone IS running the same thing over and over.

Collier11
9/10/2009, 07:58 PM
pay attention

Jacie
9/10/2009, 08:15 PM
There were so many miscues on offense last week, it will be hard not to show improvement. Considering the opponent, however, it will be easy to confuse that with actual improvement. The ballot will still be out on that.

Jdog
9/10/2009, 08:38 PM
---------? False starts and fumbles aside, this team will be able to run the ball. I say we get the kid 30-35 attempts, opinions?

They'll be bumbling and fumblin on Saturday. Out of 30 attempts only 25 will count because of penalties.
Lets get out the twister mat and play some Blakey ball!!!!!!!!!