PDA

View Full Version : Not all is lost....

SteelClip49
9/9/2009, 08:21 AM
1990 is the last time someone didn't win their first game and wound up winning the national title (Colorado) and through their first three games they started 1-1-1 so hang in there. 1983 is the last time someone lost their first game and ended up winning the national title (Miami) which lost to Florida 28-3. Miami would go on to defeat the #1 offense that year in the Cornhuskers.

I know we all like to think way ahead because we are Oklahoma but now with 6 more ranked teams on the sechedule and a few other tough opponents not ranked, we just need to take it week by week and see where we are.

Remember, we are Kings of the Big XII.

DakotaSooner
9/9/2009, 08:28 AM
Little too optomistic for me. I am worried about even making the cotton bowl.

unbiasedtruth
9/9/2009, 08:35 AM
dont for forget CU's "lost" down at Mizzou that year to win. Had 5 tries to score from inside the 5 when the ref working the down marker forgot to change it to 2nd down after 1st down, thus giving CU 5 plays to score.

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 08:45 AM
I'm with ya! Get Sam back for Miami and we are set! Lets run the table!

soonerfan3778
9/9/2009, 08:53 AM
I'm with ya! Get Sam back for Miami and we are set! Lets run the table!

+1

beer4me
9/9/2009, 09:49 AM
1990 is the last time someone didn't win their first game and wound up winning the national title (Colorado) and through their first three games they started 1-1-1 so hang in there. 1983 is the last time someone lost their first game and ended up winning the national title (Miami) which lost to Florida 28-3. Miami would go on to defeat the #1 offense that year in the Cornhuskers.

I know we all like to think way ahead because we are Oklahoma but now with 6 more ranked teams on the sechedule and a few other tough opponents not ranked, we just need to take it week by week and see where we are.

Remember, we are Kings of the Big XII.

Pre-BCS it's a different animal now. Yes we still have higher rated teams to play yet. If we were to win those games it is still no give-me that we can jump up to the first two slots.

Because their are other teams that we don't play that will be playing rated teams i.e. SEC CS game.

Widescreen
9/9/2009, 10:11 AM
I like your optimism but in no way did the team the other night look like a championship caliber team. I hope we get all our problems addressed quickly but without Gresham and Bradford, it doesn't look good IMO.

SteelClip49
9/9/2009, 10:23 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor????

This is OKLAHOMA damn it! We are not Stillwater Sally! We never say die and settle for less....believe I say! Believe damn it!!!!!!!

General Applewhite
9/9/2009, 10:23 AM
You guys should be more optimistic...if Sam comes back & OU runs the table, not only does OU have an advantage over other 1 loss teams because they lost earlier BUT the talking heads will be saying that BYU wouldn't have beaten OU without Bradford's injury so it won't even be treated like a real loss in their eyes.

1 more loss however, and the season is done.

Jello Biafra
9/9/2009, 10:28 AM
i've noticed over the last couple of years that the 85 scholarship limit is starting to take a toll on the big schools. all it will take is a few "silly" losses and you will start losing recruits to the boise states and the tcus of the world.

im not so sure adrian peterson could have won us the game saturday. honestly.

budbarrybob
9/9/2009, 11:15 AM
You guys should be more optimistic...if Sam comes back & OU runs the table, not only does OU have an advantage over other 1 loss teams because they lost earlier BUT the talking heads will be saying that BYU wouldn't have beaten OU without Bradford's injury so it won't even be treated like a real loss in their eyes.

1 more loss however, and the season is done.

Like they took into account the Oregon fiasco?

This season is on the brink of disaster. I have the same feeling about this as I did after Bomar got released. If we only lose 2 more games I'll consider this a successful season. Our offense is horrible compared to last years standard with or without Bradford. Maybe it was some of the play calling, maybe not. What difference does it make to have a Heisman QB if he has no one to throw it to. :(

OU_PhD
9/9/2009, 11:32 AM
Pre-BCS it's a different animal now. Yes we still have higher rated teams to play yet. If we were to win those games it is still no give-me that we can jump up to the first two slots.

Because their are other teams that we don't play that will be playing rated teams i.e. SEC CS game.

Different era? LSU won it all with 2 losses, both bad losses, two years ago.

beer4me
9/9/2009, 12:38 PM
Different era? LSU won it all with 2 losses, both bad losses, two years ago.

LSU 2006/7

Rated #1 Oct 13 lost to #18 Kentucky Dropped to #5

Rated #1 again Nov 23 Lost to Arkansas Dropped only to #7

Rated #1 3 weeks that year
Rated #2 8 weeks that year
Rated #3 1 week that year
Rated #5 1 week that year
Rated #7 1 week that year

There were a lot of crazy things happen above them that year to get them into that MNC

Point being they never dropped below #7 plus had spent many weeks in the top two

Then they played in and won the SEC championship

OU is in #13 they might get back toward the top if enough stuff happens they we win out. But it is going to be a long hard road and we will have to have a lot of help.

Yes different era and things don't work the same now

TXBOOMER
9/9/2009, 12:47 PM
+1

Heck of an avatar.

As far as the other subject. I'm optomistic but not near that optomistic. I hope you guys are right.

soonervegas
9/9/2009, 12:50 PM
Will we be in the BCS National Title game if we win 12 in a row? Yes.

Will we win 12 in a row? No.

I am still hopeful we get hot in the next 6 weeks and take down UT and OSU this season, but I still think there is a loss (or two) hiding in their somewhere. I wouldn't be shocked if we are the south representative with a 9-3 record.

SoonerPr8r
9/9/2009, 01:04 PM
This quote from McCoy was in the Daily Oklahoman today, on the sports page.

"Everybody is walking around like it was the end of the world that we lost the game. So what, we lose games, too. For me, it was like 'look, come on guys why are you all down?' People lose games, it happens. You go out there, you work hard [but] we didn't play smart enough"
"You pouting and being all down isn't going to fix it. Man up, let's get it fixed this week, fix our mistakes and come out and play better next week. Let's win out, and then see what happens." - Gerald McCoy

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2009, 01:05 PM
Of course all is not lost - there is always something to play for. Now if your expectation is BCS title or bust, then the odds are very high you will be disappointed. But the odds are against every team at this point in the season (i.e. <50% chance of winning it all). But with the injuries and the clear display that the inexperience O-line is going to be a factor, I'm looking at the definition of success differently.

At this point, our offense is officially a rebuilding project. We have 4 returning starters playing the same position (DM,Brown,Eldrige,Broyles). We usually only have 1 TB on the field, so that is only 3 positions. And we have a RS FR QB who gets his first start on Saturday. Fortunately, the defense is very experienced and only needs to fix a few first game problems to be a dominant unit. So I'll be looking for the offense to grow and improve with each passing game. By the end of the year, they should be a solid, effective unit that should present lots of problems to any bowl opponent. If they can limit mistakes and compliment the defense by moving the ball and changing field position, we should be competitive in every game we play. It can be a very good year if we win the games were suppose to and maybe steal a game we shouldn't. If all this happens *and* Sam comes back in the time currently being talked about, we may well be as good as anyone by the end of the regular season. Clearly, this year is going to be an "opportunity" for the coaches and especially KW to earn their keep.

A-M
9/9/2009, 02:40 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor????

This is OKLAHOMA damn it! We are not Stillwater Sally! We never say die and settle for less....believe I say! Believe damn it!!!!!!!

You are kidding about the Germans? The question is, are you kidding about the rest?

OUAlumni1990
9/9/2009, 02:44 PM
Lets not forget that BYU is a darn good football team. I was there at the game and I think they surprised everyone. We overlooked them, and they earned their top 10 ranking. I wouldn't be abit surprised if they run the table in their conference and wind up in a BCS bowl.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 04:07 PM
Lets not forget that BYU is a darn good football team. I was there at the game and I think they surprised everyone. We overlooked them, and they earned their top 10 ranking. I wouldn't be abit surprised if they run the table in their conference and wind up in a BCS bowl.

Are they really that good? We looked like dog **** the whole game and still should have won

sooneron
9/9/2009, 04:10 PM
dont for forget CU's "lost" down at Mizzou that year to win. Had 5 tries to score from inside the 5 when the ref working the down marker forgot to change it to 2nd down after 1st down, thus giving CU 5 plays to score.

Sadly, we would not be able to score with 5 downs at the moment.

sooneron
9/9/2009, 04:12 PM
Are they really that good? We looked like dog **** the whole game and still should have won

They're pretty good but not THAT good. They looked crappy at times. They played slightly less worse than we did.

starclassic tama
9/9/2009, 04:12 PM
yeah florida lost at home to a team that wasn't as good as this year's BYU team. AND they had jesus at quarterback the whole game

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure BYU will prove to be better than Ole Miss from a year ago. I do think BYU is a legit top 20 team.