PDA

View Full Version : Fan Loyalty

East Coast Bias
9/9/2009, 06:52 AM
It has been interesting to see all the low-post lurkers come out of the woodwork to vent their frustrations over the past week. Lord knows I have done my share of whining and I appreciate you guys not negging me. It is very painful watching all the hype for 8 months and ending up where we are.There is healing in the discourse as we work through this. I remember losing to Texas in the 70's and being sick for days. Guess what, life went on and we paid them back later. My Dad was the biggest OU fan ever and when we buried him last summer, his favorite OU gear was in the coffin with him. His grandsons (all OSU graduates) wore OU jerseys to the funeral. He would tape every game and watch them during the basketball and baseball seasons.He talked me off the edge many times over the years after a big loss,just as many of you here have done.We don't get many OU games up here in the North, I would still rather watch my team lose on TV than see BC or Holy Cross win.I think myself and NH SOONER are the only OU fans in the whole state and we will take some shots after this loss, but they can kiss my big red a--.
We should administer some slack in this situation and not be so quick to question each others loyalty, everyone handles pain and loss differently. I am trying to be more like my father in times of pain and loss I know how he would view all of this. He would think of the "KING". Think of the loss, the injuries, the line, our schedule and now the national rankings. This is what the KING would have to say on that: "WE HAVE EM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT EM."

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 08:03 AM
Nice to read a post where someone didn't want somebody fired.

SoonerPr8r
9/9/2009, 08:23 AM
"WE HAVE EM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT EM."

I am going to have to agree with The King on this. Thank you ECB for this pep talk I think some here kinda needed it. It is halfway through the week and time to forget last week and look ahead to this week. I will be there on Saturday with crimson on. I know there will be a lot more room there than any other game this year for a few reasons, but all that means is that I have to yell louder and longer for those empty seats. I will most likely be there by myself, much like much of the games last year as most of my friends can't be there for one reason or another. But I will not be alone because of all of the sooner fans that are around me. I will be there every home game because this will be my last year as a student and I intend on making the most of it. So here is to the rest of the season! Boomer!

badger
9/9/2009, 08:37 AM
I have a reason to be loyal - I'll only have one alma mater. More than that, it's where I met my husband, it's where I've spent the last eight years of my life and it's all been good for the most part, so I love Oklahoma, win or lose.

Of course, I prefer "win," but there's some good side effects to the occasional loss, because I doubt we'll ever see another college football team win 47-straight. You get to see who's in this for the long haul and who will just buy another t-shirt to match the team that's winning.

The other good side effect? Cheap merchandise and tickets become readily available :D

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 08:43 AM
It has been interesting to see all the low-post lurkers come out of the woodwork to vent their frustrations over the past week. Lord knows I have done my share of whining and I appreciate you guys not negging me. It is very painful watching all the hype for 8 months and ending up where we are.There is healing in the discourse as we work through this. I remember losing to Texas in the 70's and being sick for days. Guess what, life went on and we paid them back later. My Dad was the biggest OU fan ever and when we buried him last summer, his favorite OU gear was in the coffin with him. His grandsons (all OSU graduates) wore OU jerseys to the funeral. He would tape every game and watch them during the basketball and baseball seasons.He talked me off the edge many times over the years after a big loss,just as many of you here have done.We don't get many OU games up here in the North, I would still rather watch my team lose on TV than see BC or Holy Cross win.I think myself and NH SOONER are the only OU fans in the whole state and we will take some shots after this loss, but they can kiss my big red a--.
We should administer some slack in this situation and not be so quick to question each others loyalty, everyone handles pain and loss differently. I am trying to be more like my father in times of pain and loss I know how he would view all of this. He would think of the "KING". Think of the loss, the injuries, the line, our schedule and now the national rankings. This is what the KING would have to say on that: "WE HAVE EM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT EM."

Excellent post!

Jello Biafra
9/9/2009, 08:49 AM
i like what swardboy said.....out of adversity, legends are born....

matter of fact, if you don't mind, im changing my sig as we speak. and if you do mind, fugg ya ;)

PurcellSooner23
9/9/2009, 09:42 AM

I am a low post lurker and I think all this is a blessing in disguise...It's going to get our younger players to step up...this all reminds me of 2006!!

Jello Biafra
9/9/2009, 10:07 AM
I am a low post lurker and I think all this is a blessing in disguise...It's going to get our younger players to step up...this all reminds me of 2006!!

at half, saturday, i turned to my wife and said something to the effect, well, SOMEONE will step up. didnt happen. maybe it was too much shock but it should be fairly obvious to them now, someone WILL have to step up.

Sooner FLiP
9/9/2009, 10:13 AM
great post. i think a loss is needed (even if it hurts) everyonce in a while. if anything to put things into perspective and to let everyone know that they aren't perfect or invincible. what happened last week is just a reminder that nobody can slack off and that everyone, even walk-ons or freshman, need to be able to play when needed.

Jello Biafra
9/9/2009, 10:15 AM
great post. i think a loss is needed (even if it hurts) everyonce in a while. if anything to put things into perspective and to let everyone know that they aren't perfect or invincible. what happened last week is just a reminder that nobody can slack off and that everyone, even walk-ons or freshman, need to be able to play when needed.

so, how stupid do you think those transfers feel at this point?

1890MilesToNorman
9/9/2009, 10:18 AM
I am a fan first and foremost, every team loses games because it is a sport. No team can win'em all. Sooner fans are a very spoiled bunch because we haven't experienced very many loses over the past several decades except the unmentionable decade of the 90's. The good thing is OU corrected that decade long problem rather quickly. I get pissed when we lose but by Sunday I have moved on with anticipation for the next Saturday!!! I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Can you imagine how bad this board would be if we won another 47 in a row and lost that 48th game. There would probably be a few suicides around here. :P

SoonerLB
9/9/2009, 11:16 AM
We're for the most part a spoiled bunch of football fans, we expect of our team what most other teams only dream of. We don't take well to losing, but then what winner does? Not many teams have the ability to come back from such devastating loses (both injuries and scoreboard), but we will!
And I'm bettin' it starts this Saturday!

Sooner FLiP
9/9/2009, 11:49 AM
so, how stupid do you think those transfers feel at this point?

when i heard JG was injured one of the first things i thought about was the big TE that commited to USC. he is/was what the #1 TE prospect from the same HS as RR and DM. i guess u never know. but whatever, we will pull through. i think we will have close wins but it will be great if we win anothe Big XII Championship.

SoonerInLubbock
9/9/2009, 02:19 PM
I call it the "OU Curse". Our expectations are always very high. This year, likely more so than years past. That's why losing as soon as the starting gate opens seems so terrible. I see it more now living in Lubbock and seeing what Tech fans go through. Just think Tech's greatest season ever was last year. If we finished like that we would call it a bad season. Or at least a way below average season. I think the biggest part of being a Sooner, besides winning..........a lot. Is the pride you carry with you everywhere you go (I'll admit it, everytime I fly somewhere I always wear my colors). It's the kind of pride that is passed down through generations. My dad taught me, I'm teaching my son and so on. The season is long and at this point we just need to carry ourselves with that sense of pride our dad's taught us. All will be well...after all we are Sooners!!

A-M
9/9/2009, 02:34 PM
I call it the "OU Curse". Our expectations are always very high. This year, likely more so than years past. That's why losing as soon as the starting gate opens seems so terrible. I see it more now living in Lubbock and seeing what Tech fans go through. Just think Tech's greatest season ever was last year. If we finished like that we would call it a bad season. Or at least a way below average season. I think the biggest part of being a Sooner, besides winning..........a lot. Is the pride you carry with you everywhere you go (I'll admit it, everytime I fly somewhere I always wear my colors). It's the kind of pride that is passed down through generations. My dad taught me, I'm teaching my son and so on. The season is long and at this point we just need to carry ourselves with that sense of pride our dad's taught us. All will be well...after all we are Sooners!!

What with living in Lubbock, how had your week been? I'll bet you are taking it on the chin a lot. At least I live in OKC so for the most part, it hasn't been too bad.

SoonerInLubbock
9/9/2009, 02:39 PM
What with living in Lubbock, how had your week been? I'll bet you are taking it on the chin a lot. At least I live in OKC so for the most part, it hasn't been too bad.

Yeah I miss living in Edmond

Lol since the thrashing we gave them last year I haven't heard much from these dirt farmers.

A few have mentioned it and most were just concerned about Bradford and Gresham's future. My boss is a bit of a D-Bag about it. But then I remind him that Tech didn't look that great opening up with North Dakota State High School. They had a ton of penalties too.