PDA

View Full Version : Article about Halftime attitude following SB's injury

Collier11
9/8/2009, 11:14 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/1...h-knee-surgery

"Sooners' Gresham out for year after knee surgeryAssociated Press

Updated: September 8, 2009, 7:48 PM EDT 2 comments
NORMAN, Okla. (AP) - Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford had just been helped to the sidelines with an injured shoulder when Oklahoma's players headed in for halftime of their game against BYU.

Bradford was being checked out by the team's medical staff, which would later determine he had a sprained shoulder and would be out for a while. Fellow team captain Brody Eldridge was getting fluids after his first ever start as the Sooners' center. And star tight end Jermaine Gresham was already hobbled with an injured right knee.

The Sooners were a somber group Saturday night.

"It was a total morgue," offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Tuesday. "It was a concern. I was a cheerleader for 10 minutes: 'We're winning. Open your eyes. Get a little spunk here. Let's go! This is why we practice hard, for great games. Let's go!"'

It's been a difficult start for Oklahoma, which plummeted 10 spots to No. 13 in The Associated Press' college football poll Tuesday after that game, a 14-13 loss to BYU.

Some may have seen it coming: The Sooners had to replace four starting offensive linemen this season, only to see projected starter Ben Habern and backup Brian Lepak both get injured at the center position. Eldridge was moved to center from his spot as backup tight end and then Gresham was hurt four days before the season opener.

Backup linebacker Mike Balogun was ruled ineligible by the NCAA, only to have his backup, Tom Wort, suffer a season-ending knee injury less than a week later. And now Bradford is out for two to four weeks.

"After a start like that, it really just humbles you," guard Brian Simmons said.

On Tuesday, the Sooners got more bad news when Gresham - like Bradford, an NFL prospect who returned for another season - had arthroscopic surgery to determine the extent of the cartilage damage in his right knee. Stoops said surgeons determined that Gresham needed stitches to repair the cartilage, and that he'll need about five months to recover.

That will put him out for the rest of Oklahoma's season.

Gresham was Oklahoma's top returning receiver with 66 catches for 950 yards and 14 touchdowns last season. He needed only five more TDs to tie the school's career record of 31 set by Mark Clayton. Now, he's another key cog missing from what was the highest-scoring offense in college football history last year.

"He's such a main target, presence on the field and quality player that it changes," Stoops said. "It changes everything, your run-blocking along with your protection, along with him out in routes and, in particular, red zone stuff. You just have to work through it."

If there's a silver lining, Oklahoma's veteran players can reflect on how they dealt with a string of bad luck in 2006: the dismissal of quarterback Rhett Bomar and two other players because of NCAA rules violations, a blown call on an onside kick that led to a loss at Oregon and then running back Adrian Peterson breaking his collarbone.

Simmons said he recalled Peterson's injury when Bradford went down.

"I think this is a little more different because it's Sam and Jermaine. That's a lot," Simmons said. "I'm not saying that they're better or more talented than A.D. It's slightly different.

"I will say when he went down, I was devastated. I was just like, 'Oh, man.' But we actually went undefeated without him that season."

Oklahoma was 7-0 without Peterson, winning the Big 12 title before losing in his return against Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Wilson said he was discouraged that the Sooners offense didn't rally around each other at halftime and instead sat silently in the locker room. He said it was quarterback Landry Jones, the redshirt freshman who made his college debut while replacing Bradford, who finally broke the ice.

"He was the only guy in the locker room talking at halftime," Wilson said. "He's the guy that gathered them up, and a guy that hasn't said much."

To salvage their chances of winning the Big 12 and national titles, the Sooners will have to shake off the setbacks and create their own good luck. The first chance for a turnaround is Saturday, when Oklahoma hosts Idaho State of the Football Championship Subdivision.

"In the end, our guys know. We expect whoever's out there to do well," Stoops said. "You have to move forward. Just like other injuries, someone else has to step up and play. That's what a team does, and our guys are aware of that."

Collier11
9/8/2009, 11:15 PM
What is everyones opinion on this? Im sure the first thought is where or why werent the coaches stepping up but I wonder if Stoops was sitting back seeing how this team would respond?

Its good to see that Landry stepped up but this just seems to magnify that our teams for the last few yrs have had an attitude problem

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:19 PM
I guess I'm surprised Landry was the first one to step up and speak out. Weird, really. Where was McCoy, Trent Williams? Tough to criticize because I wasn't there, but it does surprise me.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 11:21 PM
True and this is just one persons opinion but if completely true it is really disappointing that Williams or Mccoy or Brown, someone like that didnt jump everyones arse

MamaMia
9/8/2009, 11:22 PM
I guess I'm surprised Landry was the first one to step up and speak out. Weird, really. Where was McCoy, Trent Williams? Tough to criticize because I wasn't there, but it does surprise me.Maybe Trent Williams was wondering why he just stood there while two guys went right past him to get to Sam.

spatton713
9/8/2009, 11:24 PM
What is everyones opinion on this? Im sure the first thought is where or why werent the coaches stepping up but I wonder if Stoops was sitting back seeing how this team would respond?

Its good to see that Landry stepped up but this just seems to magnify that our teams for the last few yrs have had an attitude problem

hmm i dunno i dont think stoops should ever just sit back seems like hes lost his edge i think he shoulda fired everyone up just like they were fired up before the tech game....that is good that landry stepped up he was put in an almost no win situation with the way the o line, receivers, and play calling was going jeeez

JLEW1818
9/8/2009, 11:27 PM
interesting....

Boomer38Sooner
9/8/2009, 11:30 PM
dang.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 11:32 PM
The more I read this the more I think this is a fairly big deal

JLEW1818
9/8/2009, 11:38 PM
can't be good. the injuries at OU are never good.

Murray last year, we thought it was no biggy... or at least i did

uhhh i hate injuries...

delhalew
9/8/2009, 11:41 PM
If I'm honest, it makes me very uncomfortable that after a person I give a lot of blame for the situation(Wilson)tried to cheerlead, in the end it came down to Landry. Just another responsibility he had to shoulder that night.

I guess I'm an ***, I just expect more from Sooners. I'll just hope we see improvement.

OKC-SLC
9/9/2009, 12:20 AM
I think McCoy is the leader on Defense. I feel like I can count on him to get the ducks in a row and keep the motivation there. Especially if he can play the "the offense sucks and it's gonna be up to us, boys" card.

On offense, I'm struggling to find a vocal leader. I don't think Trent Williams is appropriate because I'd rather he work on recalling the snap count and picking up QB pressure. Gresham? sideline. Bradford? sideline for now. CBrown? i don't know if he is a vocal type guy. WR? nope. O-line? nope.

Who is gonna step up and lead this Offense? Who is gonna tell everyone to forget Sam and that it's our show now, and we gotta get this first down, or this goal-to-go, or possess the ball to give our D a break.

We don't have a Paul Thompson like we did a few years ago. They called him Gramps, didn't they, because he'd been around so long. Perhaps this is the year, not 2006, when we truly appreciate all that Paul Thompson was in 2006. Perhaps he is the most underrated Sooner ever.

JLEW1818
9/9/2009, 12:28 AM
I'd love to see D. Murray become a leader

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 12:34 AM
I'd love to see ANYONE become a leader. And it wouldn't hurt to have extras!

OKC-SLC
9/9/2009, 12:34 AM
word.

misplaced_sooner
9/9/2009, 01:04 AM
http://www.zuguide.com/image/Henry-Winkler-The-Waterboy.8.jpg

Sounds like the coachs were doing alot of this?!...

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:08 AM
They should probably have a rotating crew from this board going in for pre-game and halftime speeches to the players.

SoonernAR
9/9/2009, 02:31 AM
This team feels snake bit and I wasn't surprised by the news in the article. Who is gonna step up and be the "Ray Lewis" for our team?

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:42 AM
My son won't graduate fro another 15 years, but when he does...

SoonerEmpire
9/9/2009, 02:43 AM

This ^^^^

Lott's Bandana
9/9/2009, 06:09 AM
I think it is reasonable to expect the team to be in shock in the locker room. Sam had just been injured prior to the field goal and the team had just lost their leader.

The expectation would be for the quarterback to step up and that is what Landry did, it is what every QB is expected to do...since Pop Warner.

I'm more encouraged by that action, than discouraged by the offense's inaction.

Remember, we were all sitting there throwing up in our mouths as well...

SoonerE
9/9/2009, 06:24 AM
Remember, we were all sitting there throwing up in our mouths as well...

^^^^ Exactly what I was thinking.

I don't think this should have been a surprise. But it is surprising that one of the vets on this team didn't step up and rally the troops.

It also surprises me that Stoops didn't grab one of them and pull them to the side and ask him to rally the troops. He should know who that person should be! He should know who has the rep on the team to get it done.

It is good that Landry stepped up though. I mean he was a stud QB in high school, it's not like leading a team is new to him. Hopefully that won some of the boys over in the locker room. Now hopefully he can win the rest of them (and us) over on the field.

BOOMER..

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 07:20 AM
Interesting article for sure

badger
9/9/2009, 07:42 AM
Weren't they saying all preseason that they had a surplus of leadership and that's why they were having a rotating captain position so that everyone that had the respect of their teammates could serve as one?

If that is no longer the case, make Landry captain. He earned it.

Widescreen
9/9/2009, 07:48 AM
This does speak to a lack of offensive leadership. I understand being in shock but some of those guys have been around a long time and needed to take this opportunity to lead. I guess we'll what comes of this thru the season.

Aries
9/9/2009, 07:49 AM
I like that Landry stepped forward. It says to me that when we get to the post-Bradford era, we have already found an emerging leader.

NOVSooner
9/9/2009, 07:59 AM
I thought many of the same thoughts when I read this article. Personally I would love to see Murray and Brown step up together as leaders and rally the troops, get on the receivers, encourage the o-line when they do right, etc. i'm sorry but i see no receivers as leaders right now, with that swagger to say "just get me the ball". I know it was a let down with Sam going down but the game wasn't over and i know it was closer than most expected at the half but you all are right, the leadership that was spoken about in the offseason should have stepped up and said, we have a leader down, we have to fight the rest of the way b/c this game is not over. and i get the meaning behind the post that Stoops should've pulled someone off to the side to rally everyone but a leader or in our case "leaders" shouldn't have to be pulled aside to fire everyone up. Leaders take action when no one else will.

swardboy
9/9/2009, 08:07 AM
Good to hear Landry stepping up....now if he'll lose that loser of a mustache, maybe someone will take him seriously.

primetime43
9/9/2009, 08:25 AM
We don't have a Paul Thompson like we did a few years ago. They called him Gramps, didn't they, because he'd been around so long. Perhaps this is the year, not 2006, when we truly appreciate all that Paul Thompson was in 2006. Perhaps he is the most underrated Sooner ever.

He'll always be one of my favorite Sooners. Selfless leader.

sooneron
9/9/2009, 09:19 AM
I blame Wilson for using the word, spunk.

Sooner J
9/9/2009, 10:58 AM
I don’t really find this surprising at all because if you really think about it, our boys were “off” the whole freaking night. I mean didn’t the game just feel strange. There was a penalty every time we got something going, players blitzed too early and basically showed our hand on d, the fumble by Broyals where he felt it was okay to let up on the ball because his progress was stopped, the time out issue with Wilson, Clahoon running the ball before Murray, five chances to score a td inside the five and nothing, blah, blah, blah. Maybe they had some bad food or something. There should have been people stepping up way before Sams injury but it was like everyone was in a trans or something. Anyway, that’s just my thoughts.

LawtonBoy74
9/9/2009, 11:04 AM
Very sad when your team is emotionally down when they are winning at halftime.. Thats is very dissappointing

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 11:07 AM
I kinda get the feeling that everybody was looking at sam like he was superman and they would be alright as long as he was in. They depended on him and didn't believe that they could win without him. Very sad but again, we weren't there so it is just speculation. Glad to see LJ step up though.

FlatheadSooner
9/9/2009, 11:39 AM
Good sign for LJ's future as a leader. :)

Bad sign for the rest our OUr team - including the coaching staff.
:(

PhiDeltBeers
9/9/2009, 12:00 PM
I don’t really find this surprising at all because if you really think about it, our boys were “off” the whole freaking night. I mean didn’t the game just feel strange. There was a penalty every time we got something going, players blitzed too early and basically showed our hand on d, the fumble by Broyals where he felt it was okay to let up on the ball because his progress was stopped, the time out issue with Wilson, Clahoon running the ball before Murray, five chances to score a td inside the five and nothing, blah, blah, blah. Maybe they had some bad food or something. There should have been people stepping up way before Sams injury but it was like everyone was in a trans or something. Anyway, that’s just my thoughts.

We thought Murray was hurt as they were tending to him on the sidelines when Calhoon was in. We came to the conclusion that they were just retaping his shoes. That's why Calhoon was in. Not that Murray did anything spectacular having a few fumbles.

adoniijahsooner
9/9/2009, 12:23 PM
These young men have been through it, and have experienced turmoil for years now; Oregon, AD, Bomar, last year Murray getting hurt, Granger's theft, BSU loss, Balogun case, Tom Wort, Gresham getting injured, and then Sam; so maybe the upperclassman felt like they were cut punched or that God must hate OU. Some have gone through all that in one career; oh not to forget RR's injuries every single year.

cjames317
9/9/2009, 05:47 PM

I nominate Matt Clapp.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/9/2009, 05:52 PM
I don't get the Matt Clapp love around here. Sure, he's okay. But no better than Dane Zaslaw, not nearly as good as J.D. Runnels, etc. Why does everyone have a chub for him?

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 06:11 PM
I don't get the Matt Clapp love around here. Sure, he's okay. But no better than Dane Zaslaw, not nearly as good as J.D. Runnels, etc. Why does everyone have a chub for him?

It's the hair. :P

nighttrain12
9/9/2009, 10:22 PM
Good to hear Landry stepping up....now if he'll lose that loser of a mustache, maybe someone will take him seriously.

I saw him briefly on TV earlier this week and he had gone from a mustache to a beard. I don't know if he will shave for the game though.

engineer24
9/11/2009, 10:43 PM
This is very troubling. OU has been lacking in team leadership for a long time. I remember Josh Heupel gathering the troops in teh 4th quarter of the KSU Big 12 championship game, down by 4 points, and telling the guys "we're gonna score on this drive and end this thing" and thats exactly what they did.

Somewhere along the way, Stoops stopped recruiting leaders and focused more on 4-5 star individual players who arent team leaders and who dont bleed for their teams.

gaylordfan1
9/11/2009, 10:56 PM
Hmmm, why don't we keep recruiting 4-5 star recruits and teach them to be leaders!

PhiDeltBeers
9/12/2009, 08:10 AM
I'd say 4 mill a year qualifies you to teach kids to be leaders. Maybe we need to pay more for that???

Breadburner
9/12/2009, 08:21 AM
I remember Dan Cody firing everybody buddy up once....They kinda left him standing there and he passed right out....

Found it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plnGt7HgSb4

XingTheRubicon
9/12/2009, 08:59 AM
This is very troubling. OU has been lacking in team leadership for a long time. I remember Josh Heupel gathering the troops in teh 4th quarter of the KSU Big 12 championship game, down by 4 points, and telling the guys "we're gonna score on this drive and end this thing" and thats exactly what they did.

We lead pretty much that whole game and never trailed in the 4th quarter.

and any rah rah "leadership" rant someone says in the locker room or on the field means next to nothing. The true leaders are the guys that are prepared and make damn sure everyone else is prepared every day for 150 straight days leading up to the first game.