PDA

View Full Version : It's a good thing the internet wasn't around in 1980...

Sooner24
9/8/2009, 10:18 PM
or we would not have the 1985 NC. All of you football wizards would have run Switzer off and with it title number six. I really don't know why so many of you aren't football coaches as astute, as you seem to think you are, on the game of football. I guess it's a lot easier to coach a game half drunk from your couch than actually do it for real.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:27 PM
I guess it's a lot easier to coach a game half drunk from your couch than actually do it for real.

I'm actually surprised how easy it is! Especially when I watch the game again!! :D

wishbonesooner
9/8/2009, 10:33 PM
You rarely saw Barry get beat the same way over and over.

Sooner24
9/8/2009, 10:34 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes I did.

bluedogok
9/8/2009, 10:41 PM
Many did try back then, remember the Bury Barry bumper stickers?
I was there during what we thought was the "losing years" until Smellsofbourbon and Blake showed us what they really were.

Sooner24
9/8/2009, 10:45 PM
Actually Switzer had Bury Barry trademarked when he became head coach after the Chuck Chuck bumper stickers in the late 60's.

En_Fuego
9/8/2009, 11:52 PM

You might want to go back and look at some of the games Switzer lost. If you will remember, the Halfbacks carried the ball like a loaf of bread and it was the norm to fumble atleast 5-6 times a game. And also remember....The Big 8 Conference was the Big 2.

DMAFB_Sooner08
9/8/2009, 11:54 PM
Actually Switzer had Bury Barry trademarked when he became head coach after the Chuck Chuck bumper stickers in the late 60's.

Crazy all they had to worry about was bumper stickers...times have def changed!

Crucifax Autumn
9/8/2009, 11:57 PM
Some people on here would fire a coach for being 40-1. I, on the other hand, EXPECT to win every game in a blowout. I do however accept it when we don't.

mehip
9/9/2009, 12:46 AM
The Big 8 Conference was the Big 2.

I'll never forget hearing bits of Barry's pre-game speech to boys in 84 or 85 in Boulder. I think CU was having a great year and Barry reminded the team that it was about "Oklahoma and Nebraska!"

stoopified
9/9/2009, 06:43 AM
I'll never forget hearing bits of Barry's pre-game speech to boys in 84 or 85 in Boulder. I think CU was having a great year and Barry reminded the team that it was about "Oklahoma and Nebraska!"I have heard Barry admit in at least a couple of interviews that it was much easier to win Big 8 titles than Big 12.

47straight
9/9/2009, 10:21 AM
Barry has stated many, many times that the job that Stoops & Co. have to do is much more difficult today. Tougher scholarship limits, the fact that *everyone* gets to play on TV, the overall sophistication of the game, greater parity.

And as far as getting beat the same way multiple times, if we could have had a half-way decent pass defense (cough *PROCTOR*) we would have had back to back to back titles.

cheezyq
9/9/2009, 11:20 AM
or we would not have the 1985 NC. All of you football wizards would have run Switzer off and with it title number six. I really don't know why so many of you aren't football coaches as astute, as you seem to think you are, on the game of football. I guess it's a lot easier to coach a game half drunk from your couch than actually do it for real.

You know what,? I haven't said a single word on this board about the loss, but this right here just p***es me off. I hate stupid-*** comments like these. I have no beef with you personally Sooner24, but this kind of attitude (and I know you aren't the only one who's said this) represents a complete lack of thought.

First of all, do you REALLY think that the OU administration is going to run off Stoops or ANYONE because of what some forum members think? Get a grip on reality. There is NO WAY Switzer would have been run off, even if fans created a huge stink back then. Think about how many people there are on this board and then think about how many Sooner fans there are across this country. Given the tiny percentage of fans represented on this forum, there's no chance that any coach will be run out of town by people on this board.

You want to know why I'm not a coach? It sure as hell isn't because I'm an idiot about football. It's because I never pursued the opportunity, and that the VERY few opportunities there are for coaching out there aren't as lucrative financially as what I currently do for a living. Sure, making $4mil a year SOUNDS nice, but how many people REALLY get that opportunity? Think about this, also: do you really imagine that the smartest people in the community end up coaching football? Really? No, they get degrees and go in other directions. Former football players become coaches.

I've played organized football. I'm reasonably intelligent, and I understand the game pretty thoroughly. Would I make a good coach? Maybe not. But that doesn't preclude me from being able to identify things that I see that could use improvement. I'm a FAN, just like you are. But I have every right to complain if I think my coach isn't doing his job well enough. The biggest part of being a fan is caring about how your favorite team is being run. Yeah, some people can go overboard. But there are also reasonable people out there who have legitimate criticisms of the coaching staff.

In the end, I will respect someone who's willing to state their opinion logically and reasonably far more than someone who criticizes another for their opinion simply because they don't like the sound of it.

OUmillenium
9/9/2009, 11:24 AM
^

That

spacecadet
9/9/2009, 11:30 AM
Certainly bob has flamed out on some big stages but lets think back about the other great coaches and compare.

Petey and USC did lose to Stanford a couple years back and to Oregon State last year.
Florida lost at home to ole miss last year and the year before that they lost 5 games.

sometimes it just seems Stoops & Co really seem to be ill prepared in alot of these games when they have the far superior talent on the field. Plus the freakin' miseries inside the 10 haven't helped these last couple games

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 11:37 AM
The complete lack of thought comes from the knee-jerk whiners.

Do you think that the only place people are saying this is on this forum? There are other Sooner sites and I am pretty sure the same bs is flowing just like it is here.

As far as Switzer goes he was in a lot of trouble, because we weren't winning enough in some peoples opinion, and there was a writer from the Daily Oklahoma making it his personal quest to get Barry fired. If the internet had existed back in the day I feel pretty confident he would have been gone.

If you don't like what I have to say then I'm sorry but I have just as much right to my opinion as you do yours.

cheezyq
9/9/2009, 12:58 PM
The complete lack of thought comes from the knee-jerk whiners.

So what you're saying is that a fan(atic) shouldn't be fanatical about his/her team? Yeah, people get ticked about losses...have been since the invention of sports. It doesn't mean they're all wrong just because they never coached or decided that the coach could have done a better job.

Do you think that the only place people are saying this is on this forum? There are other Sooner sites and I am pretty sure the same bs is flowing just like it is here.

As far as Switzer goes he was in a lot of trouble, because we weren't winning enough in some peoples opinion, and there was a writer from the Daily Oklahoma making it his personal quest to get Barry fired. If the internet had existed back in the day I feel pretty confident he would have been gone.

I was 4 then, don't know much about that scenario. But I feel confident that with 2 championships under his belt and a pretty significant win/loss record, his job was safe, regardless of the stance of one DO writer and a few fans. Same with Bob. But the reality is that Bob now (and Barry then) is the coach, and they are responsible for the loss as the head coach. Even they will tell you that.

But when it comes down to it, all the administration cares about is results. Bob is here to stay, no matter what any fan has to say. And I'm more than happy about that. It doesn't mean that I can't point out his mistakes.

If you don't like what I have to say then I'm sorry but I have just as much right to my opinion as you do yours.

It's not your opinion that's the problem. If you wish to ignore the team's and coach's deficiencies, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that you, and plenty of others like you, scathingly denounce people for criticizing coaches using the extremely flawed philosophy that just because we haven't coached, we have no right to criticize. That's not only wrong, it's annoying. What's the point of a forum if everyone has the same opinion? This isn't Stoolwater where we're always on the rise and loving up our facilities.

Finally, even outside the forum, the dollars that I and others have donated to the university through attending the school, attending games, being a donor, or buying athletic equipment bearing the OU logo, give me PLENTY of right to complain about the coaches.

SoonerInLubbock
9/9/2009, 01:22 PM
^^WIN^^:D

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 01:41 PM
So what you're saying is that a fan(atic) shouldn't be fanatical about his/her team? Yeah, people get ticked about losses...have been since the invention of sports. It doesn't mean they're all wrong just because they never coached or decided that the coach could have done a better job.

I was 4 then, don't know much about that scenario. But I feel confident that with 2 championships under his belt and a pretty significant win/loss record, his job was safe, regardless of the stance of one DO writer and a few fans. Same with Bob. But the reality is that Bob now (and Barry then) is the coach, and they are responsible for the loss as the head coach. Even they will tell you that.

But when it comes down to it, all the administration cares about is results. Bob is here to stay, no matter what any fan has to say. And I'm more than happy about that. It doesn't mean that I can't point out his mistakes.

It's not your opinion that's the problem. If you wish to ignore the team's and coach's deficiencies, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that you, and plenty of others like you, scathingly denounce people for criticizing coaches using the extremely flawed philosophy that just because we haven't coached, we have no right to criticize. That's not only wrong, it's annoying. What's the point of a forum if everyone has the same opinion? This isn't Stoolwater where we're always on the rise and loving up our facilities.

Finally, even outside the forum, the dollars that I and others have donated to the university through attending the school, attending games, being a donor, or buying athletic equipment bearing the OU logo, give me PLENTY of right to complain about the coaches.

You can be a fan without going off and wanting to fire everyone.

You're right you really don't know much about the Switzer situation.

I'm not ignoring anything I'm just not ready to declare that 2012 has already arrived. There might be problems but wanting to fire someone everytime we lose is not the answer.

A-M
9/9/2009, 02:50 PM

Great points!!!!

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 02:54 PM
If the internet had been around in 1970 we would have fired Fairbanks and all the coaches so the wishbone would never have been run in Norman. Say what you want about having the right to whine and bellyache but those are the facts like them or not.

soonervegas
9/9/2009, 02:54 PM
I am a china man and I want my rice dammit!!

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 02:57 PM
I am a china man and I want my rice dammit!!

Most of these guys want heads to roll not rice. :D

cheezyq
9/9/2009, 02:59 PM
You can be a fan without going off and wanting to fire everyone.

How many of those people show up right after the game? Almost all of them. Why? Because they're emotional, perhaps even drunk. They're fans. Sometimes it's annoying, yes, but it happens in EVERY fan community.

You, however, are FAR worse. You casually lump everyone, emotional or not, into one category. You call them "people who criticize coaches" and everyone in that category is labeled as a disloyal lunatic who knows nothing about football. And you do this all, not as a knee-jerk reaction which can be explained as an emotional response, but as a part of your actual thought process. That's MUCH worse than being a fan who yells at the TV cursing a coach's decision.

You're right you really don't know much about the Switzer situation.

:rolleyes:

I do know people, I understand business, and I know that if Blake can coach for the amount of seasons that he did despite the public outcry that existed in the mid-late 90s, then Switzer's seat wasn't even mild back in the early 80s.

I'm not ignoring anything I'm just not ready to declare that 2012 has already arrived. There might be problems but wanting to fire someone everytime we lose is not one the answer.

You are ignoring something. You are ignoring the fact that people CAN disagree with you and be correct. You think that we must be loyal to all our coaches all the time and anyone who thinks or says differently must be a bad fan and must be publicly scorned <cough>communism</cough>...and then you use a pathetic example, some lame 1980 reference to ONE DO writer and some angry fans who criticized the King, to support your position.

You know what I want as a fan? I want to win, and I want to see the consistent problems that we've seen with this team trending over the last few years to be fixed. We see the same problems every game and every year, and they are (imagine this!) HIGHLIGHTED in games that we LOSE. Now, if that means firing someone who's been PROVEN to be ineffective, then so be it. If I have a doctor that consistently misdiagnoses symptoms, I'm firing his ***, whether he's my brother or a complete stranger. He's not doing his JOB. It's really pretty simple.

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 03:04 PM
How many of those people show up right after the game? Almost all of them. Why? Because they're emotional, perhaps even drunk. They're fans. Sometimes it's annoying, yes, but it happens in EVERY fan community.

You, however, are FAR worse. You casually lump everyone, emotional or not, into one category. You call them "people who criticize coaches" and everyone in that category is labeled as a disloyal lunatic who knows nothing about football. And you do this all, not as a knee-jerk reaction which can be explained as an emotional response, but as a part of your actual thought process. That's MUCH worse than being a fan who yells at the TV cursing a coach's decision.

:rolleyes:

I do know people, I understand business, and I know that if Blake can coach for the amount of seasons that he did despite the public outcry that existed in the mid-late 90s, then Switzer's seat wasn't even mild back in the early 80s.

You are ignoring something. You are ignoring the fact that people CAN disagree with you and be correct. You think that we must be loyal to all our coaches all the time and anyone who thinks or says differently must be a bad fan and must be publicly scorned <cough>communism</cough>...and then you use a pathetic example, some lame 1980 reference to ONE DO writer and some angry fans who criticized the King, to support your position.

You know what I want as a fan? I want to win, and I want to see the consistent problems that we've seen with this team trending over the last few years to be fixed. We see the same problems every game and every year, and they are (imagine this!) HIGHLIGHTED in games that we LOSE. Now, if that means firing someone who's been PROVEN to be ineffective, then so be it. If I have a doctor that consistently misdiagnoses symptoms, I'm firing his ***, whether he's my brother or a complete stranger. He's not doing his JOB. It's really pretty simple.

I'm far worse then a bunch of idiots that want someone fired everytime we lose a game? You are clueless. If your life is so dependent on a football teams sucesss your prioritys are way out of whack. I have more time, and probably more money, invested in OU sports in my 54 years then you probably ever will have.

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 03:07 PM
I'm far worse then a bunch of idiots that want someone fired everytime we lose a game? You are clueless. If your life is so dependent on a football teams sucesss your prioritys are way out of whack. I have more time, and probably more money, invested in OU sports in my 54 years then you probably ever will have.

aren't you contradicting yourself in this post?

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 03:15 PM
aren't you contradicting yourself in this post?

In what way?

Saying how much I time I have invested in OU sports but not being dependent on their sucess? I don't need OU to win to make my life complete like a lot of people do.

cheezyq
9/9/2009, 03:43 PM

Don't go overboard now. I'm saying that your statements reflect a disturbing personal philosophy that lumps rational and irrational groups together and then attacks a person's right to have an opinion, as opposed to someone just having a momentary emotional outbreak over a favorite team and calling out the coaches. And yes, that IS worse.

You're also attacking the WRONG person about being dependent on a game/sport/university. I didn't even see the game this weekend because I was vacationing with my family and only returned last night. I had hoped to be watching my DVR tonight and enjoying an OU win, but...oh well. I may torture myself and watch the game anyway.

I get so tired of hearing this crap after OU losses that "...you shouldn't criticize the coaches because you're not a coach and you're not a true Sooner fan bcuz you're trying to run the coaches out of town, blah blah blah...". Go ahead and say you disagree with me that the loss was the result of a coach's mistake (or several), that's fine. But don't start an entire thread insinuating that I'm a bad Sooner because I don't agree with our coaches in everything they do.

Look, I'm not trying to attack you personally or say that you're a bad person at all. You're a Sooner fan and you'll forever be my brother because of that. It's just that your philosophy sucks and is flat wrong. I also don't mean for you to get the brunt of my rant, as I know that you aren't the only one who thinks that way. For that, I apologize. It's just that the "don't have an opinion" thing bugs me way more than the "sky is falling" thing.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 03:59 PM
Switzer's 3 straight 4 loss seasons were the result of bad recruiting by him and the Sooner Magic pretty much disappearing; remember they had won 9 straight Big 8 titles before the 81 season and a drop off was inevitable

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 05:03 PM
Switzer's 3 straight 4 loss seasons were the result of bad recruiting by him and the Sooner Magic pretty much disappearing; remember they had won 9 straight Big 8 titles before the 81 season and a drop off was inevitable

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1981

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1982

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1983

Really there were some pretty good players on those teams.

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 05:41 PM
Don't go overboard now. I'm saying that your statements reflect a disturbing personal philosophy that lumps rational and irrational groups together and then attacks a person's right to have an opinion, as opposed to someone just having a momentary emotional outbreak over a favorite team and calling out the coaches. And yes, that IS worse.

You're also attacking the WRONG person about being dependent on a game/sport/university. I didn't even see the game this weekend because I was vacationing with my family and only returned last night. I had hoped to be watching my DVR tonight and enjoying an OU win, but...oh well. I may torture myself and watch the game anyway.

I get so tired of hearing this crap after OU losses that "...you shouldn't criticize the coaches because you're not a coach and you're not a true Sooner fan bcuz you're trying to run the coaches out of town, blah blah blah...". Go ahead and say you disagree with me that the loss was the result of a coach's mistake (or several), that's fine. But don't start an entire thread insinuating that I'm a bad Sooner because I don't agree with our coaches in everything they do.

Look, I'm not trying to attack you personally or say that you're a bad person at all. You're a Sooner fan and you'll forever be my brother because of that. It's just that your philosophy sucks and is flat wrong. I also don't mean for you to get the brunt of my rant, as I know that you aren't the only one who thinks that way. For that, I apologize. It's just that the "don't have an opinion" thing bugs me way more than the "sky is falling" thing.

I'm not saying one should not have an opinion or that they shouldn't get upset. Last year Kevin Wilson was a genius when we were setting scoring records. Of course we had more fumbles Saturday night then we had all last year and a ton of offensive penalties. Kevin Wilson didn't fumble once, have a motion penalty or drop a pass at anytime last week. Did he call a perfect game? No.

I never said you were a person that lived and died by what a football team did.

I think the loss was more of a mistake by players than mistakes by coaches. Maybe the coaches made a mistake by playing people that can't play well enough given the situation.

And finally, I was not attacking you personally. All I'm saying is there are enough irrational people that would fire the entire coaching staff, over a lose, then there are people that look at it for what it is.

And I still stand by the title of the thread.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1981

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1982

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=1983

Really there were some pretty good players on those teams.

Just not enough of them, plus OU was hamstrung in 81 and 82 by not having an elite QB; remember Switzer's first 3 starters at QB were Steve Davis, Thomas Lott, and JC Watts; in 81 and 82 Kelly Phelps and Darrell Shepherd pretty mucy yo-yo'd back and forth with neither of them really stepping up to be the man and in 83 we had Bradley in his first year as a starter

josh09
9/9/2009, 08:29 PM
All that needs to be said is people whine too much, and lets admit, we've been spoiled the last few years. I can see where you're coming from, Sooner24.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 08:38 PM
All that needs to be said is people whine too much, and lets admit, we've been spoiled the last few years. I can see where you're coming from, Sooner24.

Hey with the amount of money the coaches are being paid, i think we as fans have every right to be unhappy when the results are far less than what they should have been; i can live with the Florida loss last season, but no way should BYU stay within 2 TD's of us on a neutral field no matter who the QB for OU is; the coaches deserve the criticism for this one

wishbonesooner
9/9/2009, 08:48 PM
Being critical of a coach is totally different than wanting somebody fired. I don't think criticism makes a fan not loyal. I'd be eating Ramen noodles if I had to make my living coaching football, but it's kinda like being a politician. You get the big bucks and the accolades, you better be thick skinned, because you are going to also get criticized, most especially at a place like Oklahoma.

Sooner04
9/9/2009, 09:03 PM
We could always use more fans who haven't missed a home game in 37 years.

I just think you're missing his point. People bitch often, sometimes in victory. Enjoy the process. Treasure the ride. Nobody is trying harder than our coaches.

Sometimes they screw up. Sometimes the players do too. It added up to a one point loss. The sun came up the next day.

Cheers!

Sooner24
9/9/2009, 09:10 PM
Just not enough of them, plus OU was hamstrung in 81 and 82 by not having an elite QB; remember Switzer's first 3 starters at QB were Steve Davis, Thomas Lott, and JC Watts; in 81 and 82 Kelly Phelps and Darrell Shepherd pretty mucy yo-yo'd back and forth with neither of them really stepping up to be the man and in 83 we had Bradley in his first year as a starter

Despite the results I would hardly call Steve Davis an elite QB. Switzer one time said if there had been scholarship limits Steve Davis would never have played for OU.

kelloggOUballa
9/9/2009, 10:15 PM
contrary to popular belief, the internet has nothing to do with a coach getting let go..

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 10:22 PM
Of course not. It's all the angry faxes.

A-M
9/10/2009, 03:51 PM
contrary to popular belief, the internet has nothing to do with a coach getting let go..

I agree with you. Just can't see the big wigs sitting at their computer reading soonerfans.com Then deciding because of what they read that it is time to fire KW, BV or BS! Can you? :D :D

Snyder Cyclone
9/10/2009, 04:00 PM
Most of the time when Barry got down on the one yard line with the game on the line, he managed to score !!! After watching some of the inept crap I've seen in the last two games, I'm feeling like that Jo Dee Messina song, "My Give a Damn's Busted".

Jdog
9/10/2009, 08:07 PM

I think it was also back when the SEC as in the Securities and Exchange Commission was on his trail for hearing some insider information through his back yard fence. Alcohol and drugs were rampant among folks in the program to the degree it was a big problem.

I left for Park City in 81 - remembering the saying "last one out of Oklahoma turn out the lights" - Penn Square Bank had started to fold - things were getting pretty bleak at the time for a lot of people.

cheezyq
9/11/2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not saying one should not have an opinion or that they shouldn't get upset. Last year Kevin Wilson was a genius when we were setting scoring records. Of course we had more fumbles Saturday night then we had all last year and a ton of offensive penalties. Kevin Wilson didn't fumble once, have a motion penalty or drop a pass at anytime last week. Did he call a perfect game? No.

I never said you were a person that lived and died by what a football team did.

I think the loss was more of a mistake by players than mistakes by coaches. Maybe the coaches made a mistake by playing people that can't play well enough given the situation.

And finally, I was not attacking you personally. All I'm saying is there are enough irrational people that would fire the entire coaching staff, over a lose, then there are people that look at it for what it is.

And I still stand by the title of the thread.

Technically you did say that we shouldn't get upset or have an opinion because we might run our coaches out of town. I'm fine with you feeling that fans could cause Bob to leave, or that Switzer would have been run out of town. That's an opinion, and I disagree, but I'm more than OK with that. It's just the other part that bothers me.

I have my own thoughts about our coaching staff that I've been keeping to myself for the most part, which is why I haven't said anything about them individually. I can say that I don't want them run out of town, and that I like our coaches...but they all have very clear deficiencies...just like nearly every other coaching staff in the country. I would like to see those corrected, in whatever way is necessary. Every coaching staff has a tendency that gets exposed at one time or another. I feel our tendencies have been exposed for at least 5 years and that they have not been corrected. I still haven't seen the BYU game, so I don't know if those tendencies were the reason for the loss. And you certainly haven't heard me clamoring for Stoops' (or anyone else's) head.

But I also feel more than confident in my football knowledge and my knowledge of the Sooners over the last 20+ years to be able to identify problems and areas for improvement. I certainly don't believe that I have to be a coach to have my opinion and for it to be a correct opinion.

A-M
9/11/2009, 10:35 AM
I think it was also back when the SEC as in the Securities and Exchange Commission was on his trail for hearing some insider information through his back yard fence. Alcohol and drugs were rampant among folks in the program to the degree it was a big problem.

I left for Park City in 81 - remembering the saying "last one out of Oklahoma turn out the lights" - Penn Square Bank had started to fold - things were getting pretty bleak at the time for a lot of people.

I left for Park City in 78. What state was your Park City in? Mine was in Kansas, just about 4 blocks from the Wichita serial killer known as BTK.:P