PDA

View Full Version : How do the injuries impact planning for the RRS? My view.

footballfanatic
9/8/2009, 10:17 PM
I was already having enough difficulty forming a clear picture of this year's RRS. Now, the injuries to your QB and tight end further muddle my view. All we really have to work with are the first games for each team.

Even before Bradford was injured, it was clear that his receivers are less than stellar and that the o-line will need many games before they become a cohesive unit. Your two running backs are first-rate, and can carry a strong load. With a new QB, I expect your coaches to see if they can develop a running attack against our relatively inexperienced D-Line. Even if Bradford returns, a running game may be required--his arm may not be strong enough (See injured McCoy '06 vs Aggie) Without his "primary weapon" (my favorite line from "Independence Day"), Gresham, getting the ball to his backs in space is probably his best alternative. If Jones starts, the game plan remains the same. Run the ball, short passes to backs and receivers, and hope the defense holds. Actually the Miami game is a blessing of sorts, as Miami's speed is first class, and will get him some much needed experience in this area.

Texas also has issues, mainly in the running game and along the defensive front. Because Texas has good, deep linebackers, but is inexperienced at defensive tackle, expect mainly 3-4 fronts, with Kindle moved all over the defensive line. Texas will bring the house against both QB's for different reasons: To rough up an ailing Bradford, (See McCoy '06 vs Aggie) and to panic Jones. Texas's other problem is the same as last year--a mediocre running game. There is no standout running back, with Vondrell McGee proving less than stellar in his coming-out party. There is a flyer--Monroe is his name. They will try to get him free in space and let him run, but at 170 lbs, he will be hard pressed to handle the pounding. The line is built for protection, and the receivers are good and deep (Shipley anyone?, Chiles, Williams, etc.) Expect pass, pass, pass, with a hope to tire out the defense and then finish them off with runs.

I still expect a very hard, very physical game, with the victor not seizing control until the fourth quarter. I predict the OU defense tires out, and Texas wins, but with turnovers, special teams and sheer will, OU can win. Anyone who thinks OU is done is crazy. The Texas coaches certainly won't think so.

JLEW1818
9/8/2009, 10:26 PM
hope Bradford is 100% healthy

hope for Colt to have a bad game

hope for Mark Clayton to enroll back at OU

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:30 PM
I believe they're sending Al Eschbach down to an undisclosed location in the deepest heart of Creole country, where he will be sodomized by an angry gypsy, thereby casting off the spell that was put on the team. It's a sacrifice, of course, but someone has to do it. Thanks Al!

ouwasp
9/8/2009, 10:36 PM
It comes down to the OL performance...or lack thereof. Sunday night I went over to my Dad's to face the music He's an osu grad from back in the 50s but a life-long OU fan. Doesn't know much about football; "When are they gonna get another Billy Sims?" was his opening shot.

I told him if any game spoke to he importance of OL play, it was this one. The Sooners have two 1,000 yd rushers, the best qb in college ball, and still looked like crap.

OL play is a mystery to him, so he dismisses it. This looks to be a long season unless a miracle can be quickly wrought.

tommieharris91
9/8/2009, 11:04 PM
It comes down to the OL performance...or lack thereof. Sunday night I went over to my Dad's to face the music He's an osu grad from back in the 50s but a life-long OU fan. Doesn't know much about football; "When are they gonna get another Billy Sims?" was his opening shot.

We had one in 2005-07. His name was Adrian Peterson.

JLEW1818
9/8/2009, 11:10 PM
04 too

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 01:37 AM
I think we come out and kick some overconfident cow ***.

pac10SUX
9/9/2009, 01:53 AM
I think we come out and kick some overconfident cow ***.

I agree. I think OUr players & coaches will rally (us versus the world mentality) and we will not have a loss going into RRS. Whorns will believe all the hype and will be stunned. It'll be OUr best game thus far this season. Of course, 5 minutes later sMACK will be in full whine mode.

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:03 AM
Well, that's his specialty.

footballfanatic
9/9/2009, 07:25 AM
I agree. I think OUr players & coaches will rally (us versus the world mentality) and we will not have a loss going into RRS. Whorns will believe all the hype and will be stunned. It'll be OUr best game thus far this season. Of course, 5 minutes later sMACK will be in full whine mode.

Bradford needs to think of himself first. If he rushes back to play he may end up being very seriously injured cause teams will be gunning for him.

swardboy
9/9/2009, 08:13 AM
Personally, I hope Landry starts against saxeT. He'll have some experience under his belt, hopefully remain at full strength, have a somewhat more seasoned line....and out of adversity legends are born.

w0lfe
9/9/2009, 08:22 AM
Reminds me of the 01 team, good defense but a stuttering offense.

Soonersince57
9/9/2009, 08:27 AM
I believe they're sending Al Eschbach down to an undisclosed location in the deepest heart of Creole country, where he will be sodomized by an angry gypsy, thereby casting off the spell that was put on the team. It's a sacrifice, of course, but someone has to do it. Thanks Al!

:D :D :D

Sasakwa
9/9/2009, 09:52 AM
Won't know what to think until the Miami game. Idaho St is so bad we will learn nothing.

A Horn
9/9/2009, 09:54 AM
Personally, I hope Landry starts against saxeT. He'll have some experience under his belt, hopefully remain at full strength, have a somewhat more seasoned line....and out of adversity legends are born.

All things considered with the current situation, he's going to follow in the legend of Rhett Bomar before he does Sam Bradford. You guys could defenitely beat us because your team is loaded with talent, but what you just wrote is the start of a college football fairy tale......

sooneron
9/9/2009, 09:55 AM
The tulsa game will be the key in Jones' development. If he gains the necessary confidence, there's no reason that he shouldn't be throwing downfield in dallas. I'm sorry, I think our wr's are good, they just didn't do anything spectacular or make any big plays. Hopefully, they'll figure out what the issues are this and next week. I think being in a hole due to false starts/holding penalties does not help as it makes the whole offense tense up a little bit. The whole unit needs to relax a little bit and get groovin.

sooneron
9/9/2009, 09:56 AM
All things considered with the current situation, he's going to follow in the legend of Rhett Bomar before he does Sam Bradford. You guys could defenitely beat us because your team is loaded with talent, but what you just wrote is the start of a college football fairy tale......

Any OU fan over the age of 30 has seen it happen.
And if I were Stoops, I would be grabbing every tape that I could from 1985.

Jello Biafra
9/9/2009, 09:57 AM

right. because we've NEVER had an asss kicker at qb before right?

A Horn
9/9/2009, 09:58 AM
right. because we've NEVER had an asss kicker at qb before right?

No - because youv'e only had one Sam Bradford. I'm not dogging the backup but they prepped for a Heisman winner in the offseason- you guys have great RBs who are going to need to perform big time to run the table - I'm not saying Landry can't or won't do well - but don't expect it until you see it.

Jello Biafra
9/9/2009, 10:02 AM
No - because youv'e only had one Sam Bradford.

roflmao.....we had a kid one time named jason white...we also had a kid one time named josh? i think? oddly enough, the last coached the other two...im sure our newest qb (that josh recruited btw) will be fine...he graduated with honors early and arrived on campus early etc. he wasn't recruited because of his stache.

beer4me
9/9/2009, 10:08 AM
Hard to say I haven't seen a lot of planning for other games.

FootballFan
9/9/2009, 11:22 AM
With an ailing Bradford, Stoops would be crazy to have him in there against Texas. Regardless of his recovery, his shoulder will still be susceptible to a pounding and the weight of another player jumping on it. There's no way he'll have the strength to throw downfield like he could before the injury, not in a month. I expect to see Texas blitz the hell out of the QB, regardless of who is back there. All it's going to take is Houston or Kindle falling on Bradford's shoulder to knock him back out, possibly for the season. Stick with Landry and let him build up his confidence over the next month, that's the best Oklahoma can do for this team's chances of beating Texas next month.

Breadburner
9/9/2009, 11:31 AM
I love Bradford through and through....But I'm not sure losing Gresham is not a bigger loss than Bradford....

hookem1982
9/9/2009, 12:15 PM
Bradford will play in the NFL unlike Jason and Josh. There is a huge difference in these QB's. Bradford is way better.

Bourbon St Sooner
9/9/2009, 12:47 PM
Well, one thing about it, the learning curve is steepest at the bottom of the curve and we have a bunch of guys on the O Line at the bottom of that curve. Hopefully they can get up the curve by 10/17 and hopefully by 10/3.

I think, at least, we'll know something about OU by the time we get back to Dallas. I don't think we're going to know much about texass when they're done with this series of scrimmages they call a non-conference schedule.

goingoneight
9/9/2009, 01:05 PM
Won't know what to think until the Miami game. Idaho St is so bad we will learn nothing.

I have to slightly disagree here. We'll get a chance to iron out the kinks that killed us against BYU. While true it doesn't teach us much in terms of matchups, Landry getting time to settle down and stopping stupid mistakes like false starts and fumbling is critical. I'd rather we have a directional yard dog school to brush up on stuff than to go straight to Miami or straight up against a high-powered Tulsa offense. This team is going to improve as a process... and they need to take every break they can get... even if it's an easy W.

Sasakwa
9/9/2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean Idaho St is not the perfect next opponent to iron out some wrinkles and get Jones some confidence, I just meant whipping them by 50 points doesn't help us know how the team will fair at the fair.

By Miami we will know if the OL has figured out how to play and how sharp Jones will be. Miami will be telling not just because they are a legit opponent, but because of the time elapsing between now and then.

A-M
9/9/2009, 02:00 PM
roflmao.....we had a kid one time named jason white...we also had a kid one time named josh? i think? oddly enough, the last coached the other two...im sure our newest qb (that josh recruited btw) will be fine...he graduated with honors early and arrived on campus early etc. he wasn't recruited because of his stache.

I sure hope not. Cause if so, we lost out on that deal! :D :D

A-M
9/9/2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I didn't mean Idaho St is not the perfect next opponent to iron out some wrinkles and get Jones some confidence, I just meant whipping them by 50 points doesn't help us know how the team will fair at the fair.

By Miami we will know if the OL has figured out how to play and how sharp Jones will be. Miami will be telling not just because they are a legit opponent, but because of the time elapsing between now and then.

I wouldn't leave Tulsa out of this mix. If they rush the passer as they did last Saturday, our O line can be in trouble again. The Tulsa game may tell us more about our O line more then people think.

batonrougesooner
9/9/2009, 02:27 PM
No - because youv'e only had one Sam Bradford.

I think I saw that on a video once.

footballfanatic
9/9/2009, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't leave Tulsa out of this mix. If they rush the passer as they did last Saturday, our O line can be in trouble again. The Tulsa game may tell us more about our O line more then people think.

Yeah, I think Tulsa and Potato State are going to give Jones a good comparison to what playing Texas will be like.