PDA

View Full Version : Worse AP voter Ever?

OUMedMan
9/8/2009, 06:27 PM
Check out how this AP voter from Ohio ranked everyone:

http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php?s=9&p=18&t1=27&t2=&v=20&w=2&r=V

1. Alabama
2. BYU
3. Okie State
4. Florida
5. Boise State
6. California
7. Texas
8. USC
9. Cincinnati
10. Notre Dame
11. Miami
12. Missouri
13. Ohio State
25. Oklahoma

A-M
9/8/2009, 06:35 PM

http://pollspeak.com/pollstalker/pollstalker.php?s=9&p=18&t1=27&t2=&v=20&w=2&r=V

1. Alabama
2. BYU
3. Okie State
4. Florida
5. Boise State
6. California
7. Texas
8. USC
9. Cincinnati
10. Notre Dame
11. Miami
12. Missouri
13. Ohio State
25. Oklahoma

Don't think I would go along with any of this. No way that BYU is #2. Not when you consider how badly we played and they just barely beat us.

spatton713
9/8/2009, 06:37 PM
how do you even respond to that hahaha?

Sooner98
9/8/2009, 06:39 PM
At first I thought this was going to be a knee-jerk, "OMG THIS GUY HATES US!!!11" type of thread, but, yeah, those rankings are pretty freaking bad.

Jdog
9/8/2009, 06:40 PM

1. Alabama
2. BYU
3. Okie State
4. Florida
5. Boise State
6. California
7. Texas
8. USC
9. Cincinnati
10. Notre Dame
11. Miami
12. Missouri
13. Ohio State
25. Oklahoma

It's college football - Whos to say that his are worse than anyone elses after week one?

soonerinabilene
coincedently the worlds finest meth comes from ohio.

SoonerCoug
Don't think I would go along with any of this. No way that BYU is #2. Not when you consider how badly we played and they just barely beat us.

I love the way people think their team's quality of play is independent of the opponent. This might be true in the case of false starts, of which there were many, but false starts are not the sole determining factor.

I prefer to think that OU is still one of the nation's best, but time will tell. I think your defense has to be in the top 3 if not the very best.

RedstickSooner
9/8/2009, 06:43 PM
How in the flying fudge are we #25 if, by his nimrod reasoning, BYU is #2? Did we *not* just lose to them by *ONE* friggin' point?

There should be some secret commission that looks for signs of purebred retardation, and calls voters on it. If you can't adequately defend your vote when they do so, you'd be stripped of your voting privileges.

SoonerCoug
9/8/2009, 06:46 PM
How in the flying fudge are we #25 if, by his nimrod reasoning, BYU is #2? Did we *not* just lose to them by *ONE* friggin' point?

There should be some secret commission that looks for signs of purebred retardation, and calls voters on it. If you can't adequately defend your vote when they do so, you'd be stripped of your voting privileges.

I think this gentleman has done a fantastic job with his poll.

budbarrybob
9/8/2009, 07:51 PM
I think this gentleman has done a fantastic job with his poll.

Go be a troll on another board. If you can't contibute to ANY discussion in a constructive way... Leave and take your momma's skanky computer with its wasted bandwidth sucking modem with you. [hairGel]

tigepilot
9/8/2009, 08:18 PM
I have no problem with the voter putting BYU at #2 at this point. After all, they just beat the #3 ranked team in the nation right?

I have no problem with the voter putting OU at #25 at this point. After all, they just had a close loss to the #20 ranked team in the nation right?

What I have a problem with is that #2 and #25 shouldn't be differentiated by 1 friggin point. Either they're both in the top 5 or they're both in the bottom 5... or more likely it's somewhere in the middle.

Of course, with more games played it becomes a smaller factor but for now that looks really ridiculous.

illinisooner
9/8/2009, 08:35 PM
I have no problem with the voter putting BYU at #2 at this point. After all, they just beat the #3 ranked team in the nation right?

I have no problem with the voter putting OU at #25 at this point. After all, they just had a close loss to the #20 ranked team in the nation right?

What I have a problem with is that #2 and #25 shouldn't be differentiated by 1 friggin point. Either they're both in the top 5 or they're both in the bottom 5... or more likely it's somewhere in the middle.

Of course, with more games played it becomes a smaller factor but for now that looks really ridiculous.

What he said.

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/8/2009, 08:39 PM
How about the two that have us unranked...

schlanker
9/8/2009, 08:46 PM
I think his point that you are supposed to rank the opponents based on the body of work. As of today everyones body of work is 1 game. Alabama beat the best competition, BYU 2nd, OSU 3rd, so on and so on. Next week it will change based on the 2 games. It is no different when the Royals are in first place after game 1. WE know it wont end that way but technically they are first for that first day. Kind of respect the guy for doing it the way they say it should be. No preconceived notions.

soonervegas
9/8/2009, 09:17 PM
Or he could be the best

MacPhatDaddy
9/8/2009, 10:05 PM
Once upon a time I had a link or some other documentation that explained the criteria that pollsters were supposed to use when filling out their ballot. It looks like this guy pulled team names out of a hat or something. I can't find the darn thing. If I remember correctly it is very vague and pollsters can pertty much rank teams using whatever criteria they want.

I did find this interesting link. Maybe you guys can raise a hue and cry throughout Sooner Nation and get this guy bumped. The last quote is a doozy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2663882

Jacie
9/9/2009, 05:34 AM
The flip side of this argument is when pollsters rank a team with losses ahead of undefeated teams or those with fewer losses. After one week I don't have a problem with a voter who goes by results instead of his gut feeling or biases.

Sooner70
9/9/2009, 06:47 AM
Wouldn't get warped about #25 at all. Defensively, OU acquitted itself pretty well. Offensively, it was about as sorry, unprepared, sloppy and frustrating OU game as I've seen since the Blake years. It's a vote of no confidence for an offensive unit that, from the coaches down, need to circle the wagons, face reality and make some big time adjustments with the talent they have & finish this season right. Need to quit reminding ourselves of what might've been with Sam, Jermaine, Wort, et al and get on with the show.

We've got some positives to build on. A good, solid defensive unit. A good running back corps. I think Landry Jones will step up, if the coaches give him half a chance and handle him right. Let's decomplicate the offensive schemes, adjust to the talent/experience we have and get on with this thing. Folks, supposedly we've recruited some pretty good people, so let's deploy them and move forward.

Hot Rod
9/9/2009, 07:36 AM
Obviously, this voter doesn't watch college football, but rather reads the paper the next day, then votes based on what he thinks.

badger
9/9/2009, 07:55 AM
The polls really don't matter now. A lot of ranked opponents will face other ranked opponents, and when they do, to the victor goes the higher ranking. So the guy ranked BYU No. 2 and OU No. 25. If you think about it, those are the rankings that were expected for the winner of the game and the loser of the game - OU would have a chance at moving up and BYU would move down after losing. Alas, the roles were reversed. Nobody to blame but ourselves for that.

Doyen
9/9/2009, 08:19 AM
It's college football - Whos to say that his are worse than anyone elses after week one?

I agree. And basedon how good each team looked on Saturday ...I agree with a lot his rankings

w0lfe
9/9/2009, 08:28 AM
wow what a poll. All i have got to say

XingTheRubicon
9/9/2009, 10:23 AM
If you want to reward teams for beating a good opponent, the poll is actually spot on. I actually agree with the poll...for right now.

USC, UT, and FLA have proven nothing in 2009. They will get their chance however.

soonerfan28
9/9/2009, 10:38 AM
Heard somebody say the other day that at the beginning of November we were #8 and Florida was #9 last year. One game at a time and we can be back were we want to be. If we struggle against Spud St, (and I don't see that happening) then it will be a long season. We have Tulsa after that and a week off before Miami. I think if we rush Bradford back for the Miami game then we hurt ourselves long term. L. Jones isn't the problem.

budbarrybob
9/9/2009, 10:54 AM
Obviously, this voter doesn't watch college football, but rather reads the paper the next day, then votes based on what he thinks.

You are giving this voter far to much credit IMHO.

IBleedCrimson
9/9/2009, 11:34 AM
If you want to reward teams for beating a good opponent, the poll is actually spot on. I actually agree with the poll...for right now.

USC, UT, and FLA have proven nothing in 2009. They will get their chance however.

exactly. this guy is obviously not amused with powerhouses scheduling glorified scrimmages for season openers, and doesnt want to reward cupcake schedule bloating. im perfectly fine with rewarding teams who have the cojones to schedule ranked teams early and win :eek: :rolleyes:

A-M
9/9/2009, 12:15 PM
The polls really don't matter now. A lot of ranked opponents will face other ranked opponents, and when they do, to the victor goes the higher ranking. So the guy ranked BYU No. 2 and OU No. 25. If you think about it, those are the rankings that were expected for the winner of the game and the loser of the game - OU would have a chance at moving up and BYU would move down after losing. Alas, the roles were reversed. Nobody to blame but ourselves for that.

Sorry Badger, but I'm not sure that if we had won by 13-7 that we would have even stayed at #3, much less moved up. As so many others have stated here, we did not play like a #3 team during that game.

A-M
9/9/2009, 12:31 PM
I love the way people think their team's quality of play is independent of the opponent. This might be true in the case of false starts, of which there were many, but false starts are not the sole determining factor.

I prefer to think that OU is still one of the nation's best, but time will tell. I think your defense has to be in the top 3 if not the very best.

True you won the game and you did it because you out played us. However, I really don't think that your team had everything to do with how poorly we played on O. Your O played well and just flat beat our D, but I would think that you would even have to admit that when the O line can't block, the TE and WR's can't catch, and adjusting to a 2nd string QB, hit a team all at the same time, the other team is goin' win if they just hang in there long enough.
And of course, we know you did and the end result was a win for you. If your guys could have helped us a little and dropped the ball a few times or jumped off the line early, but no. Your guys just kept still and held onto the ball and you won. Didn't your guys read the Bible where it says "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." I'd say that your team took good advantage of our bad playing and I just wish you had not. But, you did and the win is yours and not ours. Take it and be happy, please, 'cause I am not.;)

Jacie
9/9/2009, 05:57 PM
I prefer to think that OU is still one of the nation's best . . .

We did until last Saturday.

I think your defense has to be in the top 3 if not the very best.

Well, there's two schools of thought on that one, too . . .

Scott D
9/9/2009, 06:06 PM
I don't find his poll all that bad. And for the record, week after week, and year after year Jon Wilner tends to rank at the very top of being the worst AP voter of all time.

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2009, 06:08 PM
Typical idiot from the buckeye state. Honestly, people here in Ohio hate coaches that are from Ohio and didn't return to coach the beloved $uckeyes. People in Cbus are still pissed that Stoops, Myer,etc... didn't take the buckeye job

Leroy Lizard
9/9/2009, 06:22 PM
He's playing "human computer." At this point, his rankings are no better or worse than anyone else's.