PDA

View Full Version : Clawson feels Bad

SoonerE
9/8/2009, 01:11 PM
Hope this is not posted somewhere else.

CFT: BYU LB ‘feels bad’ about injuring Bradford (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/08/clawson-on-bradford-i-feel-bad-he-got-hurt/)

CK Sooner
9/8/2009, 01:15 PM
I think it helped us win

No ****!?

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 01:24 PM
not his fault. no real story here. as far as his statement, i think it helped us win??? lol... ya think?

Jack T.
9/8/2009, 01:29 PM
Not his fault at all. Perfectly clean hit. . .just a bad fall.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 01:34 PM
yep - no real story. That hit is the same hit every LB puts on every QB given a chance. I do like his sentiment that he never tries to knock someone out of the game (assuming he is sincere) and I wish every player shared it.

Widescreen
9/8/2009, 01:34 PM
He has no reason to feel bad. Unlike the dooshes at UW who took out Granger last year.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 01:37 PM
He intentionally drove Sam's shoulder into the turf. Watching it repeatedly reveals that. He held onto Sam's waist as Sam was hitting/sliding onto the ground and leveraged his weight higher onto Sam. No one holds on as long as he did without the intent to rough up a guy that had already let go of the ball. It's football -it's hard hitting sport (i'm not crying foul as most defenders do it), but there were some intentions in what he did. Otherwise, he wouldn't be saying anything about it.

ouleaf
9/8/2009, 01:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the NFL now assessing penalties on the types of plays like Sam's where the guy lands on the QB. I thought I remember hearing on a preseason game talk of where it is now a penalty if a defender hits a QB and using all of his weight, drives him into the ground. Anyone? Anyone?

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 01:41 PM
He intentionally drove Sam's shoulder into the turf. Watching it repeatedly reveals that. He held onto Sam's waist as Sam was hitting/sliding onto the ground and leveraged his weight higher onto Sam. No one holds on as long as he did without the intent to rough up a guy that had already let go of the ball. It's football -it's hard hitting sport (i'm not crying foul as most defenders do it), but there were some intentions in what he did. Otherwise, he wouldn't be saying anything about it.
It was a clean play.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the NFL now assessing penalties on the types of plays like Sam's where the guy lands on the QB. I thought I remember hearing on a preseason game talk of where it is now a penalty if a defender hits a QB and using all of his weight, drives him into the ground. Anyone? Anyone?
If that is true it is just another sign that football is becoming to pussified

badger
9/8/2009, 01:41 PM
Leaf, you're not the only one that's heard that, but I think that's only NFL... but the college game definitely takes cues from the pro game. Think instant replay, think horsecollar tackles... so even if it isn't a college rule now, no saying it won't be one later.

Oh, and I respect that the BYU guy came out and said that he felt bad that Sam got injured instead of going all Kellen Winslow Jr. or something on the situation. I am also happy for BYU and their No. 9. I just wish that their success didn't come at our expense and all. But, it's football.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 01:43 PM
And yes, the nfl has been trying to crack down on the driving the qb into the ground.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 01:43 PM
I've always believed that kind of play should be a penalty, but it currently is not. As it stands, every LB (including ours) will do the same thing in the same situation and I'm sure they are coached that way. In general, the NFL protects players and especially QBs more than college does because of the money involved. If the NFL adds a protection penalty and it is deemed to be successful, the college rules tend to follow after a few seasons.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 01:48 PM
I've always believed that kind of play should be a penalty, but it currently is not. As it stands, every LB (including ours) will do the same thing in the same situation and I'm sure they are coached that way. In general, the NFL protects players and especially QBs more than college does because of the money involved. If the NFL adds a protection penalty and it is deemed to be successful, the college rules tend to follow after a few seasons.

yes

Collier11
9/8/2009, 01:48 PM
It may have been clean but he certainly drove Sam into the ground when he didnt have to

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 01:53 PM
cmon guys....really??!?! you guys are embarrasing...this is freaking football. and here we are, 9 months ago, defending travis lewis on his hit on fever blister mccoy.

man, this is disturbing. as a defender, your job is to hit the kid with the ball as hard and fast as you can to either make him make a mistake or make him think about YOU the next time the ball is snapped....

*shaking my head* jeeeesus!

starclassic tama
9/8/2009, 01:55 PM
agreed. solid clean tackle. anyone whining about this has no business watching football.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, ok, I'm like, sooooo glad you A. Think we're whining and B. Deciding upon who should watch football.

srsly **** off

Collier11
9/8/2009, 01:59 PM
There is a BIG difference between a good hard hit which it was and holding onto the defensless QB and driving him into the ground, BIG DIFFERENCE

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 02:03 PM
I pay my cable bill on time and it entitles me to watch football. The hit was legal in both the letter and spirit of the current rules. I am entitled to my opinion that driving a QB into the ground should be a penalty, but even if it was it probably wouldn't apply the Sam's situation because he was scambling and would be considered a runner outside the tackle box. It is what it is.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:06 PM
agreed. solid clean tackle. anyone whining about this has no business watching football.

maybe you should quit focusing on football and focus more on your non existent future in music

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 02:09 PM
I watched the replay over and over. It look like he gained immense pleasure from driving Sammy into the ground. I'm with you guys that think it was intentional, and Sammy had released the ball, and the dude had plenty of time to react. Puke fans and whorns are celebrating in Houston today.

Sasakwa
9/8/2009, 02:11 PM
No way you let go of a player. Take a look at the Miami QB last night, late in the game the defender has him wrapped up and is taking him down for a sack when he spins out of it and completes a crucial pass. You hang on until the whistle blows or you both hit the ground.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 02:12 PM
maybe you should quit focusing on football and focus more on your non existent future in music

:pop:

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:14 PM
No way you let go of a player. Take a look at the Miami QB last night, late in the game the defender has him wrapped up and is taking him down for a sack when he spins out of it and completes a crucial pass. You hang on until the whistle blows or you both hit the ground.

which can be done without driving the QB into the ground

starclassic tama
9/8/2009, 02:15 PM

i'm going after a future in music? cool, maybe i'll hit it big!

badger
9/8/2009, 02:15 PM
I watched the replay over and over. It look like he gained immense pleasure from driving Sammy into the ground. I'm with you guys that think it was intentional, and Sammy had released the ball, and the dude had plenty of time to react. Puke fans and whorns are celebrating in Houston today.

If I were a big, burly linebacker - and a dude - I might also be proud of myself if I got to the Heisman winner... until I learned that I hurt him. Ever see that Nike ad where LT and the Samoan Steeler meet on the field after showing clips of them growing up around the sport? That's what I think that moment was for the linebacker - just a good play in a game he loves.

But then... what if the Samoan Steeler injures LT on the tackle. Then, it's no longer fun... well, unless you're effing soldier like Kellen Winslow Jr.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 02:17 PM
I pay my cable bill on time and it entitles me to watch football. The hit was legal in both the letter and spirit of the current rules. I am entitled to my opinion that driving a QB into the ground should be a penalty, but even if it was it probably wouldn't apply the Sam's situation because he was scambling and would be considered a runner outside the tackle box. It is what it is.

for the record, i wasn't the one who said you should stop watching football...

BUT, i was the one who said it is embarrasing.....

you guys would really hate me or really love me playing defense for your team because as long as the other team wears a different color than me....im going to do everything in my power to put EVERY player i come into contact with, on the bench for the remainder of the game. nothing dirty but im going to hit you with everything i have full speed and im not going to pull punches. look at our storied past....selmons? yeh...they did it. scott case? was that hit on dorsett questionable? by todays standards....yes. cassillas? definately. bozworth? certainly. TRRW? more helmet to helmets than you could possibly count. just sayin.

starclassic tama
9/8/2009, 02:22 PM
i just don't see how ANYONE could consider it a dirty play. i'm as big of a sooner fan as there is, but when a guy hits low, wraps up and drives a player into the game, that's a textbook tackle. he shouldn't use his weight as leverage against a defenseless player? how do you tackle someone without using your weight as leverage to drive a guy into the ground? it wasn't helmet to helmet, it wasn't a late hit, it was a tackle that our guy happened to get injured on.

OUAlumni1990
i'm going after a future in music? cool, maybe i'll hit it big!

I didn't know singing karaoke while drunk was a career?

SoonerLB
Borderline hit, and there was no need for him to wrap us as he did. I thought at the time it might draw a flag, but didn't. That's football, and in this case it wasn't good for our side. Nothing we can do about it now, it's time to get behind LJ and focus on Idaho State.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:23 PM

you sir are delusional. First, Why would you not take pleasure in sacking a QB in a big game? If you are saying he took pleasure in hurting Sam, show me why you think that. 2.) It was a bang bang play and you are crazy if you think he had time to stop and not hit him.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:23 PM
Big diff between saying you think our opinion is wrong and saying it is embarrassing that we think that way JB. I for one am on the other side of the aisle on the horse collar tackle, I think it is a weak call, I also think the illegal hands to the face of an nfl qb is weak. I do think that when a QB is completely defensless there should be discretion used when the QB is being driven into the ground, thats the same way the NFL now feels. Sam had no way to protect himself in that case and thats why I dont like it

badger
9/8/2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I don't give a hades. It's about this OU, man. I don't give a flyin' you-know-what about a... whatever Idaho State's mascot is. I don't give a darn! He would do the same thing to me. It's war. They don't give a freakin' you-know-what about you. They will kill you. They're out there to kill you. So I'm 'a kill 'em. You write that in the paper. You write that. You make money off that. No, man, I'm poo-poo'd. All y'all take this down. I'm poo-poo'd, man. We don't care about nobody except this OU. We don't. If I didn't hurt him, he'd hurt me. They were gunnin' for my legs. I'm a come right back at 'em. I'm a flippin' soldier!"

Just havin' fun:D

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 02:25 PM
you sir are delusional. First, Why would you not take pleasure in sacking a QB in a big game? If you are saying he took pleasure in hurting Sam, show me why you think that. 2.) It was a bang bang play and you are crazy if you think he had time to stop and not hit him.

And you sir are all red which means nobody gives jack about your opinion here!

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:26 PM
Borderline hit, and there was no need for him to wrap us as he did. I thought at the time it might draw a flag, but didn't. That's football, and in this case it wasn't good for our side. Nothing we can do about it now, it's time to get behind LJ and focus on Idaho State.

No need to wrap up? Are you serious? Go watch the game film of us vs tebow or us for k state last year and see what happens when you don't wrap up. ridiculous and clueless.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 02:26 PM
for the record, i wasn't the one who said you should stop watching football...

BUT, i was the one who said it is embarrasing.....

you guys would really hate me or really love me playing defense for your team because as long as the other team wears a different color than me....im going to do everything in my power to put EVERY player i come into contact with, on the bench for the remainder of the game. nothing dirty but im going to hit you with everything i have full speed and im not going to pull punches. look at our storied past....selmons? yeh...they did it. scott case? was that hit on dorsett questionable? by todays standards....yes. cassillas? definately. bozworth? certainly. TRRW? more helmet to helmets than you could possibly count. just sayin.
So you're saying we don't want you on that wall, we NEED you on that wall?

WTF does a hit from thirty years ago being judged against today's rules have to do with this?
I like good hard football, and this also goes to the other post with the "until the whistle blows" comment - there's good hard slobberknocking and then there's riding a guy while he's down and you have already hit the ground. Any player that tries to put people out of a game usually suffers from a painful sense of karma.
I'm not even saying that Clawson was trying to knock Sam out of the game, he wanted to send a message. (Kind of a ***** message if you ask me as the ball was not in Sam's hands) I have seen Teddy Lehman do it as a multitude of other Sooners. Not bitching, but the guy is voicing some remorse for a reason.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:28 PM
And you sir are all red which means nobody gives jack about your opinion here!

Way to dodge my post...

I do think that when a QB is completely defensless there should be discretion used when the QB is being driven into the ground, thats the same way the NFL now feels. Sam had no way to protect himself in that case and thats why I dont like it
So are you suppose to pull up when you hit someone? Have you ever tackled anyone before?

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 02:29 PM
Big diff between saying you think our opinion is wrong and saying it is embarrassing that we think that way JB. I for one am on the other side of the aisle on the horse collar tackle, I think it is a weak call, I also think the illegal hands to the face of an nfl qb is weak. I do think that when a QB is completely defensless there should be discretion used when the QB is being driven into the ground, thats the same way the NFL now feels. Sam had no way to protect himself in that case and thats why I dont like it

so, how do YOU feel about a cut block? about 50% of the time a good cut block is a career ender.... but it happens MULTIPLE times a game.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:30 PM
Not bitching, but the guy is voicing some remorse for a reason.

yeah, its because a guy got hurt. He was asked about the injury and he answered honesly. He wouldn't change what he did, he just feels bad that Sam was hurt

sooneron

and if he's delusional, your reading comprehension sucks. We are not talking about the initial hit, it was what happened AFTER they landed. Oh, by the way, it was not a sack.

OUAlumni1990
Way to dodge my post...

I didn't dodge your post. I meant what I said, nobody gives a rats hiney what you think, obviously...

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 02:31 PM
Just havin' fun:D

:mad:

:D

Scott D
9/8/2009, 02:31 PM
Guy is probably voicing remorse because

1. most players don't want to see other players get injured.
2. the morons who are bombarding the kid on facebook with negative bull****.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:33 PM
and if he's delusional, your reading comprehension sucks. We are not talking about the initial hit, it was what happened AFTER they landed. Oh, by the way, it was not a sack.

my bad didn't mean sack. Its not like he hit him and then threw him down...it was one fluid motion. You hit someone with such force that you can't just stop on a dime. You guys have either never played football or are just wearing your crimson colored glasses. Which is understandable b/c i do that quite often

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:34 PM
I didn't dodge your post. I meant what I said, nobody gives a rats hiney what you think, obviously...

keep dodgin

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 02:37 PM
keep dodgin

dodging what??

It was boderline whether it was a clean hit or not. And most people in this thread agree. If the dude is getting alot of hate mail, obviously there are alot more people out there that agree also. You sounds like a real tough e-thug. Me thinks you need to get a life...

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 02:38 PM
So you're saying we don't want you on that wall, we NEED you on that wall?

WTF does a hit from thirty years ago being judged against today's rules have to do with this?
I like good hard football, and this also goes to the other post with the "until the whistle blows" comment - there's good hard slobberknocking and then there's riding a guy while he's down and you have already hit the ground. Any player that tries to put people out of a game usually suffers from a painful sense of karma.
I'm not even saying that Clawson was trying to knock Sam out of the game, he wanted to send a message. (Kind of a ***** message if you ask me as the ball was not in Sam's hands) I have seen Teddy Lehman do it as a multitude of other Sooners. Not bitching, but the guy is voicing some remorse for a reason.

im not saying you want or need me on that wall. i had my chance and i fugged it up. what i am saying is football (especially anything higher than high school) is a gladiator sport. it is part of the game and all involved understand that when they lace them up and step on the field. i personally think they are pussifiying the sport on a daily basis and are trying to make everyone feel better by taking the great equalizer out of the game. INTIMIDATION....this is what makes good teams great. they are able to strap it up and point at the dline and say "we're running at the 4 hole and there's not a gdamn thing you can do about it" or a MLB standing in the QBs face right over the center and telling him he's going to rip his helmet off and run to the stands and beat his momma about the head and shoulders.... (more than likely a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty.)

when you take the players emotions out of the game, you slow it down ....... blah blah blah....

so travis lewis running to the sideline until he grabs mccoy and then lets up and gets a flag is all right with everyone?

Yankeeracers
9/8/2009, 02:45 PM
Git R Dun shot gun blast shot gun blast!! War, Gladiators, and playing til the whistle blows. There's that Sooner fan, and the ones who went to OU. I'm not saying people who didn't aren't real Sooners fans (some of the best never went), but you can see a difference at times. Stirrin that pot!

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:45 PM
Way to dodge my post...

So are you suppose to pull up when you hit someone? Have you ever tackled anyone before?

Oh, there is that argument which is always a winner. "have you ever tackled anyone before", "have you ever even played sports before", "have you even seen a real boob" The more you talk the less you do for yourself

Exactly

Yankeeracers
9/8/2009, 02:46 PM
Don't argue with the clean hit guys they've made football tackles, lots of em'.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:47 PM
so, how do YOU feel about a cut block? about 50% of the time a good cut block is a career ender.... but it happens MULTIPLE times a game.

I love good hard nosed football as much as the next guy and I do think football as a whole is being San Jauned, err, I mean pussified. But there are some things that are not really necessary do to the overwhelming risk of injury, cut blocking is one of those IMHO

budbarrybob
9/8/2009, 02:47 PM

^^^ This

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 02:49 PM

lets look a little closer to 2009 then....derrick straight? some of his hit bordered on "felonious assault" as they say. nearly every single one of his hits were helmet first "spears" i would rather him do that than run calmly and under control and end up missing the tackle....

phil loadholt about 15 times last season. would push his block straight into a pile... and beyond. this is kind of a trick of sorts with lineman. its like you are telling the guy you are blocking, "ill be here all day pushing you around until well after the whistle blows." could it blow a knee? could the defender fall on a player and rupture a spleen? absolutely. anything could happen.
jd runnels, on multiple occasions, rolled into a defender to take his feet out from under him. crack back blocks are considered disrespectful and is kind of a taboo subject but we have WRs that go out to do this several times a year.
with the amount of seasons these guys have under their belts i would be willing to bet that 65% of the things that you guys see on these games are no accident. lets not even start discussing what happens in the bottom of a pile....

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:50 PM
dodging what??

It was boderline whether it was a clean hit or not. And most people in this thread agree. If the dude is getting alot of hate mail, obviously there are alot more people out there that agree also. You sounds like a real tough e-thug. Me thinks you need to get a life...

This
If you are saying he took pleasure in hurting Sam, show me why you think that. 2.) It was a bang bang play and you are crazy if you think he had time to stop and not hit him.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 02:51 PM
For the record, I am not embarrassed for being for most player protection rules. I am all for the horse collar penalty and hold my head high while saying that :)

I think Badger said it best. Most these guys love to get in a good hit, but they don't really want to put the opponent out with injury. It's just a game and these guys aren't gladiators.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, there is that argument which is always a winner. "have you ever tackled anyone before", "have you ever even played sports before", "have you even seen a real boob" The more you talk the less you do for yourself

Exactly

So answer my question..r u suppose to pull up when you are tackling someone?

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:55 PM
lets look a little closer to 2009 then....derrick straight? some of his hit bordered on "felonious assault" as they say. nearly every single one of his hits were helmet first "spears" i would rather him do that than run calmly and under control and end up missing the tackle....

phil loadholt about 15 times last season. would push his block straight into a pile... and beyond. this is kind of a trick of sorts with lineman. its like you are telling the guy you are blocking, "ill be here all day pushing you around until well after the whistle blows." could it blow a knee? could the defender fall on a player and rupture a spleen? absolutely. anything could happen.
jd runnels, on multiple occasions, rolled into a defender to take his feet out from under him. crack back blocks are considered disrespectful and is kind of a taboo subject but we have WRs that go out to do this several times a year.
with the amount of seasons these guys have under their belts i would be willing to bet that 65% of the things that you guys see on these games are no accident. lets not even start discussing what happens in the bottom of a pile....

So you just agreed with us then, all we are saying is that while not a penalty necessarily and not intentially meant to hurt someone, it is still somewhat dirty just as the plays you listed and it wasnt necessary to drive him into the ground after the hit

starclassic tama
9/8/2009, 02:56 PM
i can see it now - "personal foul, #55 defense, being too mean"

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:57 PM
I'm done with this thread. It is embarrassing to see the amount of people on here that are saying that it was dirty, he intentionally hurt sam, driving somebody to the ground is wrong, you don't always need to wrap up (again go watch freeman run wild on us last year), etc...

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:57 PM
So answer my question..r u suppose to pull up when you are tackling someone?

And as we have all said several times, there is a difference between wrapping up, hitting someone hard, and driving someone into the ground. If you cant understand that point then whatever.

For the record, im not saying those of you who thought it was ok as a hit are wrong, I am just saying I dont think it was necessary.

Yankeeracers
9/8/2009, 02:58 PM
This
If you are saying he took pleasure in hurting Sam, show me why you think that. 2.) It was a bang bang play and you are crazy if you think he had time to stop and not hit him.

I hate the time to stop argument. I've made a tackle like that (not in a professional arena, and not tooting my horn) and you drive and it's on purpose . The purpose of the pulling Sam's arms up into his body if you watch, is to drive. The reason you do it, is to intimidate, nothing more nothing less. It's adrenaline and intimidation. Right or Wrong that's what it is. Did he have to, no, could he have taken him down and brought himself up not to drive, yes. Right or wrong.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 02:58 PM
For the record, I am not embarrassed for being for most player protection rules. I am all for the horse collar penalty and hold my head high while saying that :)

I think Badger said it best. Most these guys love to get in a good hit, but they don't really want to put the opponent out with injury. It's just a game and these guys aren't gladiators.

boulder, i dont mean to bedowngrade you or anything....but you obviously didnt play the game very much ;)

seriously. you remember dan cody passing out screaming on the sidelines? ive been there....i love seeing that ****te. THAT is football. THAT is passion for the game that we all love. THAT is someone who is REALLY ready to give it all up for the good of the team. THAT is the person that the entire defense will get behind. you remember that same kid grabbing the running back from ISU with one hand while fighting off a hold from the 300+ OT??? if that isn't a gladiator...well, i don't know what to tell you.

for the record, horse collar. bullshiite rule. there have been horse collars for better than 100 years and nothing till the last 5 years...now all the sudden because TO gets hurt.....

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:59 PM
I'm done with this thread. It is embarrassing to see the amount of people on here that are saying that it was dirty, he intentionally hurt sam, driving somebody to the ground is wrong, you don't always need to wrap up (again go watch freeman run wild on us last year), etc...

The times that we missed Freeman last yr we never had a free blind side run on him where he was defensless, that is where the difference lies. You tackle through someone, not hit them and drive them down

Leroy Lizard
9/8/2009, 03:00 PM
My thought to the BYU player is: You did what you were trained to do and which the rules allow. Good hit.

GKeeper316
9/8/2009, 03:01 PM
clawson made a great play. his hit on sam was textbook.

not nearly as good as that poke reciever gettin laid out by the georgia db (which immediately drew 4 flags... which is lame).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJrPDauX5s

best hit of week 1 imo.

this is big time college football played by grown men. this isnt ****in little league where little boys mommies whine bitch and moan at any contact.

Collier11
since when have you ever proven that your opinion on this board matters Leroy?

Jello Biafra
nm

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 03:03 PM
This

o he took pleasure in it. hell i would have too. if it were colt mccoy and i was the one who did it....i would scream it from the mountain tops and wouldn't apologize for it. its part of the game as long as i didnt lead with my helmet and did it within time constraints.....

o wait because its a texas player that makes it ok?

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 03:04 PM
The times that we missed Freeman last yr we never had a free blind side run on him where he was defensless, that is where the difference lies. You tackle through someone, not hit them and drive them down

His hit was the definition of tackling through someone...

Its just hyprocritical b/c we do these hits all the time and it is alright. but as soon as somebody else does it to us its wrong
**** I said i was done.

SoonerE
9/8/2009, 03:04 PM
not nearly as good as that poke reciever gettin laid out by the georgia db (which immediately drew 4 flags... which is lame).

That I will agree with. I was watching and seen that hit. THAT was a ridiculous call.

Yankeeracers
9/8/2009, 03:07 PM
The testosterone in this post is hilarious. I'm glad you guys aren't near each other, might end up with alot of sinin'. I would like to add Men play this game not boys. It's intense sweaty, rough, and without abandon. It's War gentlemen and in War people get hurt. You thought this was football, you..are..WRONG.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 03:14 PM
The testosterone in this post is hilarious. I'm glad you guys aren't near each other, might end up with alot of sinin'. I would like to add Men play this game not boys. It's intense sweaty, rough, and without abandon. It's War gentlemen and in War people get hurt. You thought this was football, you..are..WRONG.

agreed. i will say this...im still pissed the head slap was outlawed. that was one of my favorite tactics as well as the whole "grab the back of the helmet and slammed the olinemans face into the dirt" as a child, i liked playing on fields that had a bunch of dirt because i would grab a handful of it as i was coming out of a stance...incredible what that will do to a olinemans orientation.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 03:39 PM
BS! We all know your fav tactic was the good ol' sack grab

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 03:45 PM
boulder, i dont mean to bedowngrade you or anything....but you obviously didnt play the game very much ;)

No, I didn't because I was too small. I loved the game so much, I tried to play anyway and hyper-extended my knee which bothers me to this day. I was a scrub safety (140lbs) trying to play against the likes of Steve Largent, Pat Ryan, Tony Brandley and a few other talented buys. (Kent Bradford was in the class behind me). I shot into the ball carrier at full speed in practice several times and knocked myself out. It wasn't meant to be.

I've been a fan since I was a kid in the mid-60s, but I have tired of the macho/testosterone aspect of the game. If I never see another player leave the field on a golf cart, it will be too soon. And now that it is known that concussions are permanent brain damage, announcers that use the phrase "he just got his bell rung" can STFU. Don't get me wrong, I still like a good, clean hit where eveyone gets up for the next play. What I mean by not being gladiators is that it's just a game and if you lose, you look forward to next week or next season. You're not put to death.

And the horse collar rule is a fine rule. OU fans seem to be particularly sensitive because of Roy. But I just think of it as the Joey Browner rule - he was a guy breaking legs with horse collars long before Roy was playing peewee ball.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 03:47 PM
BS! We all know your fav tactic was the good ol' sack grab

well, then there IS that. but after we hit puberty, it wasn't as well received.v ;)

picasso
9/8/2009, 03:48 PM
Not his fault at all. Perfectly clean hit. . .just a bad fall.

while I agree with this, players who sack qb's in this fashion have a sense of what area is exposed as they near the ground. Dude put an extra pile drive on Bradford and I wouldn't expect it any other way.

tis football.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 03:52 PM
No, I didn't because I was too small. I loved the game so much, I tried to play anyway and hyper-extended my knee which bothers me to this day. I was a scrub safety (140lbs) trying to play against the likes of Steve Largent, Pat Ryan, Tony Brandley and a few other talented buys. (Kent Bradford was in the class behind me). I shot into the ball carrier at full speed in practice several times and knocked myself out. It wasn't meant to be.

I've been a fan since I was a kid in the mid-60s, but I have tired of the macho/testosterone aspect of the game. If I never see another player leave the field on a golf cart, it will be too soon. And now that it is known that concussions are permanent brain damage, announcers that use the phrase "he just got his bell rung" can STFU. Don't get me wrong, I still like a good, clean hit where eveyone gets up for the next play. What I mean by not being gladiators is that it's just a game and if you lose, you look forward to next week or next season. You're not put to death.

And the horse collar rule is a fine rule. OU fans seem to be particularly sensitive because of Roy. But I just think of it as the Joey Browner rule - he was a guy breaking legs with horse collars long before Roy was playing peewee ball.

thats the name i couldn't remember. i knew there was someone else waaaaay back that was using that particular tactic. its not that i hate that rule for those who use it as thier main tackle...what i have issue with is the one guy who happens to miss and tries to make up for it HAS to tackle in a certain way becuase he would be "horse collaring"

im not saying anything about safeties and the like but there is a different "feel" to the game for lineman and linebackers. period. thats why ronnie lott and doug plank and those types were the guys i idolized growing up. I happened to like that feel to the game. its more of a gang fight than anything but those dudes (that i played with), i would do anything for and i think they feel the same way about me. thats what i was saying yesterday about the military. its kill or be killed. hit or be hit....you have a choice every play...you can be the hammer or the nail.

Scott D
9/8/2009, 03:54 PM
So funny that so many willing to blame Clawson, why don't we blame Jerry World for having a ****ty carpet while we're at it.

picasso
9/8/2009, 03:55 PM
I fail to see the humor in it.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 03:56 PM
For the record which im pretty sure ive already stated this, I am not blaming Clawson for being dirty, I am just saying that In My Opinion it was excessive. Of course I am sensitive to it because it was Sam but I know that the NFL has outlawed or is looking into outlawing driving the QB into the ground like what Clawson did and I agree to an extent

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 03:57 PM
i'm failing to fail to see the humor.

Widescreen
9/8/2009, 03:57 PM
What I mean by not being gladiators is that it's just a game and if you lose, you look forward to next week or next season. You're not put to death.

I'd love it if both teams came out at the beginning of the game, looked up to the US Flag and yelled "We who are about to die, salute you!"

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 03:59 PM
I'd love it if both teams came out at the beginning of the game, looked up to the US Flag and yelled "We who are about to die, salute you!"

And I'm guessing you're a lot younger than I am :)

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 04:00 PM
For the record which im pretty sure ive already stated this, I am not blaming Clawson for being dirty, I am just saying that In My Opinion it was excessive. Of course I am sensitive to it because it was Sam but I know that the NFL has outlawed or is looking into outlawing driving the QB into the ground like what Clawson did and I agree to an extent

thiesman, tarkenton, bradshaw, mcmahon, title and the like would disagree. they played again much tougher and rougher players and they seemed to come out of it ok. hell, jim mcmahon came back to throw 4 td passes on a monday night game vs minnesota after "the incident" vs. the fudge packers....right badg?

Sooner04
9/8/2009, 04:00 PM
I thought it was dirty.

What do I win?

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 04:01 PM
ill see your dirty and raise you a sanchez.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 04:02 PM
Ill see your sanchez and raise you a Ron Mexico

Widescreen
9/8/2009, 04:03 PM
And I'm guessing you're a lot younger than I am :)

Well, I'm 41 so I doubt I'm that much younger. Plus, I was being fuseeshus.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 04:03 PM
ill see your ron mexico and double secret raise you a rear admiral...

A Horn
9/8/2009, 04:10 PM
Very admirable of the young man, but he knows as well as Bradford or anyone its not his 'fault' - Sam landed very awkwardly on that shoulder, and has walked away from plenty of hits like that if he plays the type of competition that OU does

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 04:11 PM

Good, don't let the doorknob hit you in the a** on the way out. Again, nobody cares about your opinion.

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 04:23 PM
Very admirable of the young man, but he knows as well as Bradford or anyone its not his 'fault' - Sam landed very awkwardly on that shoulder, and has walked away from plenty of hits like that if he plays the type of competition that OU does

thanks for your post horn ;) we love you being here. look for some pay back and several A&M type hits on colt boy this october.

stay golden pony boy.

A Horn
9/8/2009, 04:58 PM
thanks for your post horn ;) we love you being here. look for some pay back and several A&M type hits on colt boy this october.

stay golden pony boy.

You know, my first thought of Bradford's injury was when Colt got hurt like that, ironically. He very well could've walked away from that hit, just bad luck.

I was very much hoping for Bradford and Gresham to be back for the RRS. Finding out otherwise is the reason for my lurking on SF currently...

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 05:01 PM
You know, my first thought of Bradford's injury was when Colt got hurt like that, ironically. He very well could've walked away from that hit, just bad luck.

I was very much hoping for Bradford and Gresham to be back for the RRS. Finding out otherwise is the reason for my lurking on SF currently...

im sure....no doubt we will have some "well wishes" from the horns as they think the win is all but sealed.

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 05:03 PM
i have no reason to doubt the horn on this one. I feel the same way about players on other teams - you want to see the star players play.

Now get lost, horn. :)

Jello Biafra
9/8/2009, 05:04 PM
he said.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 05:06 PM
keep the reds coming man

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 05:34 PM
cmon guys....really??!?! you guys are embarrasing...this is freaking football. and here we are, 9 months ago, defending travis lewis on his hit on fever blister mccoy.

man, this is disturbing. as a defender, your job is to hit the kid with the ball as hard and fast as you can to either make him make a mistake or make him think about YOU the next time the ball is snapped....

*shaking my head* jeeeesus!

I'm with ya. SPEK

Some of you guys...:O

olevetonahill
9/8/2009, 05:38 PM
Yup Jello, Gotta make em fear ya :D
Now as far as being a clean and sporting Hit I think it was
My only question is If it was , Why did the talking heads on espn keep saying all day Sun. That it was a Legal Hit ?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 05:40 PM
That hit was 100% legal...

...it still is football...

...at least it is until they adopt all the NFL rules and then it'll be something else.

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 05:47 PM
My thought to the BYU player is: You did what you were trained to do and which the rules allow. Good hit.

It was a great hit!

If one of our guys had hit the BYU QB like that we'd be celebrating the hit still.

Then again, some of ya might think our guy was being just a big ol meanie. :rolleyes: :O

westbrooke
9/8/2009, 05:52 PM
Yup Jello, Gotta make em fear ya :D
Now as far as being a clean and sporting Hit I think it was
My only question is If it was , Why did the talking heads on espn keep saying all day Sun. That it was a Legal Hit ?

I think there's a natural inclination for people to assume that a hit that causes an injury was somehow dirty. Not everyone thinks that way, but enough of them do that ESPN felt the need to clarify. That's my guess, anyway. Kind of gives the opposite impression, though, doesn't it?

SoonerCoug
9/8/2009, 06:36 PM
I don't know how often you OU fans have had QBs with separated shoulders, but it has happened to BYU QBs several times over the past couple of decades. Texas A&M separated both of Ty Detmer's shoulders in 1990. The media claimed it was merely more evidence that A&M was "too good" for BYU. Based on the scoreboard, it was hard for us to disagree. The title of their youtube video is "Wrecking Crew Demolishes Detmer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbc7k299vk

I wish Bradford hadn't been injured, but gosh damn it folks, this is FOOTBALL.

RedstickSooner
9/8/2009, 06:51 PM
Please, for the love of all that is Holy, let's not complain about the hit. It was clean. You can argue that we should protect QBs from hits like that (after all, once they no longer have the ball, there's really no reason for a defender to be allowed to do much of anything to 'em) but provided a hit is clean under the current rules, we've no cause to complain.

And, of *course* the kid feels bad -- that's what sucks about losing to BYU... They're so damned *nice* about it.

Scott D
9/8/2009, 07:05 PM
I still love thinking back to watching Al Noga destroy Ty Detmer after Ty'd been awarded the Heisman....those were the good ole days.

Boomer Mooner
9/8/2009, 07:30 PM
It killed me when I saw Bradford was hurt, but it never even crossed my mind it was an illegal OR dirty hit. I can't speak for other people on here but I know for a fact if the very same thing happened with one of our guys hitting their QB I would feel bad for the QB being injured, but I would also think we made a good hit...that's football.

SPuL
9/8/2009, 07:47 PM
Good to see him come out and say it. I might be in the minority, but I'm glad they posted something about his reaction. Even though it's not necessary, it's good to see. It's like in tennis, how if a player wins a point by hitting it off the tip of the net, they hold their hand up as if to apologize. It's not really their fault, but it's a sign of courtesy.

Furthermore, watching replays he just got up and walked away after hitting Bradford. No taunting, no nothing. Just bad luck.

Good luck to BYU the rest of the way. Their QB, their coach, and their fanbase all seemed nothing but classy. They deserve whatever success is coming to them

SPuL
9/8/2009, 07:49 PM
Please, for the love of all that is Holy, let's not complain about the hit. It was clean. You can argue that we should protect QBs from hits like that (after all, once they no longer have the ball, there's really no reason for a defender to be allowed to do much of anything to 'em) but provided a hit is clean under the current rules, we've no cause to complain.

And, of *course* the kid feels bad -- that's what sucks about losing to BYU... They're so damned *nice* about it.

LOL so true. I can only imagine if it was Ahmad Black and Florida who took out Bradford like that.

We might see Black make a comment like, "I just loved seeing Bradford rolling around in pain like that. Seeing Bradford's face makes me happy".

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 07:59 PM
I've seen plenty of folks around here wish for opposing players to get hurt enough to play next week.

It's usually in jest. We've seen some pretty awful leg breaks and concussions the last few years. We've seen some new attempts to make helmets better. We've seen different rules made for horse-collars, hits out of bounds, face masks etc...

All of this was done to improve the levels of safety in the game. Some folks don't like it. What an old NFL QB has to say about rule changes because they were lucky to walk away from the game not crippled for the rest of their life means nothing to me. I've met Joe Namath and John Elway and I am amazed that those two guys are still walking because what you see when they are walking(?)...well I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Could be none of you who know guys in wheel chairs may want to talk about a friend or relative who was hurt playing this game and I wouldn't blame you. After you've known someone who was chair bound or a quad or a care-giver because of a football injury...I think anyone would be concerned about injuries.

I work with a guy that went to oSu and played a back up role on the football team and when his knee was gone..he got a bus ticket Home. No more school. It was brutal back then.

Today we sit here talking about a Heisman Trophy winner who is going to finish his education no matter what and is insured in case he got hurt and his NFL career ruined. That doesn't look like that is going to happen though as he's expected back in 2-4 weeks.

You can continue to believe that things are OK because it's a legal hit...but if you had lost Landry the same way after he got freight trained and wrapped up by Pendleton at the beginning of the 2nd half...I'm betting you'd see more folks talking about rule changes for the wrapping up stuff.

Sam had completed his follow through and wrapping him up wasn't going to change the outcome of the play at that point. Same for Landry. Thing is...Pendleton let up a bit more than Claussen.

I'm for a rule change.

I don't think it's a dirty hit either. It's legal. Just because something's legal doesn't make it the right thing to do though.

bluedogok
9/8/2009, 08:31 PM
That rule was enacted after the third game of the preseason after Albert Haynesworth piledrived Tom Brady into the turf.

NFL.com - Belichick: Brady didn't leave Pats' game vs. Redskins because of injury (http://www.nfl.com/preseason/story?id=09000d5d8123c379&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/8/2009, 08:37 PM
If you want to blame someone blame whoever was supposed to pick Clawson up on the blitz, not Clawson, he simply did his job, one of OUr players did not. I'm just wondering why these little freak injuries and falls keep happening, Bradford twice now (that concussion was pretty freak dont you think?) and Peterson...

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 08:43 PM
I'm betting you'd see more folks talking about rule changes for the wrapping up stuff.

So...what would they be in favor of:

1 hand touch?

2 hand touch?

Gotta grab the opponent's flag?

Reach out and push them down, but no wrapping up?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 08:45 PM
How about if we just call out the number of the man with the ball he's automatically down?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 08:47 PM
How about all the players wear some kind of sensing device, and if you get within 2 steps of the man with the ball an alarm goes off and the play is over?

OUAlumni1990
So...what would they be in favor of:

1 hand touch?

2 hand touch?

Gotta grab the opponent's flag?

Reach out and push them down, but no wrapping up?

Are they could do what you do and just grab 'em in the tushy. :)

Or give 'em a big ole man hug. We know you like those too!

Curly Bill
How about they wear vests and stuff like in laser tag and if you hit the target on the guy with the ball the play is over?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 08:48 PM
How about we dress them all in tutus and if you rip the skirt off the player with the ball the play is over?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 08:52 PM
How about we dress them all in those big sumo suits and you don't so much tackle anyone as you just sort of bump them to the ground?

SanJoaquinSooner
9/8/2009, 08:54 PM
I think they should put a weight limit of football players. No reason to be over 300 pounds. I don't know for sure that there would be fewer injuries, but perhaps there would. I do conjecture it's healthier for the players in the long run.

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 08:54 PM
....or what about this idea? We put a "kill switch" on them like you find on jet skis and when you grab the ballcarrier's "kill switch" and yank it free he stops?

...but of course you must be extra careful not to bump into him as that would incur a 50 yard penalty for being a big ol meanie.

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 09:27 PM
How about we dress them all in tutus and if you rip the skirt off the player with the ball the play is over?

Giving away your trade secrets again huh? ;)

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 09:32 PM
Giving away your trade secrets again huh? ;)

Just trying to make you ballet fans happy.

bluedogok
9/8/2009, 09:42 PM
I think they should put a weight limit of football players. No reason to be over 300 pounds. I don't know for sure that there would be fewer injuries, but perhaps there would. I do conjecture it's healthier for the players in the long run.Don't know what good that would do...Clawson is listed at 234 lbs. There are probably some 300 pound athletes who are healthier than some tofu eatin' flatbelly. After all, Jim Fixx, the acknowledge Godfather of running died of a heart attack at age 52. Much like his cause of death (family history of heart problems), genetics plays a much bigger role in a persons heath than the healthniks would care to admit. I have known good, "clean living" people who have died way earlier than expected while the smoking alcoholic keeps going to old age with not even a seasonal cold.

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 09:54 PM
It's pretty obvious some of you guys don't know anything about real football. Probably because you never played. Crying aboiut late hits and saying a player shouldn't wrap up. I hate that Sam got hurt as much as the next sooner fan, but some of you guys need a tissue for all the whiney tears you've shed.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:22 PM
i just don't see how ANYONE could consider it a dirty play. i'm as big of a sooner fan as there is, but when a guy hits low, wraps up and drives a player into the game, that's a textbook tackle. he shouldn't use his weight as leverage against a defenseless player? how do you tackle someone without using your weight as leverage to drive a guy into the ground? it wasn't helmet to helmet, it wasn't a late hit, it was a tackle that our guy happened to get injured on.

I don't think there was anything wrong with it in terms of current standards of the game. I do think though, that it is not GOOD for the game for quarterbacks to get hurt. Forget my crimson glasses: Bradford's injury is bad for college football, it's bad for ESPN, it's bad for the Big XII, it's bad for the NCAA. Why? To state the obvious, because one of the best players in the game today cannot play. So, just as chop blocks (which are physical and aggressive, but have a propensity to end players' careers), horse collars (which are physical and aggressive, but have a propensity to end players' careers), and helmet to helmet contact hits (which are physical and aggressive, but have a propensity to end players' careers...see the pattern?), have been deemed illegal and therefore reduced...for the GOOD of the game, I think that deliberately driving a QB's shoulder into the ground should be eliminated for the GOOD of the game.

We all love the physicality and the violence in football. But if that was all we cared about, we would watch UFC instead. Everything - and I mean everything - that does not detract from the basic tenets of the game (and I do not believe that taking opposing players out of the game is a basic tenet of the game) should be done to protect players. If you don't agree with this basic axiom, then you should logically be opposed to helmets and pads.

Again, Clawson did nothing wrong. But the NCAA should focus on things like THIS, instead of whether or not Mike Balogun paid $50 to suit up and play in front of 50 people in Maryland after his 21st birthday.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:24 PM
I have known good, "clean living" people who have died way earlier than expected while the smoking alcoholic keeps going to old age with not even a seasonal cold.

Dear God, I envy those guys! :D

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:25 PM
It's pretty obvious some of you guys don't know anything about real football. Probably because you never played. Crying aboiut late hits and saying a player shouldn't wrap up. I hate that Sam got hurt as much as the next sooner fan, but some of you guys need a tissue for all the whiney tears you've shed.

Nobody is crying noob: just trying to have a reasoned discussion. But since you played "real" football, I guess we should just lock this thread.

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:30 PM
Nobody is crying noob: just trying to have a reasoned discussion. But since you played "real" football, I guess we should just lock this thread.

Please tell us what your technique was for tackling someone to make sure they didn't fall on their shoulder. Did you pick them up and sit them down gently? Did you make sure they landed on their backs or their tummys?

...or you prolly played more of the tag your down variety. :P

Collier11
9/8/2009, 10:31 PM
I love those guys who played real football, im sure Ol barry was a heck of a 3rd string overweight 14yr old lineman back in the day before he quit. Please inform us of all of your football knowledge

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:34 PM
I don't claim any extra football knowledge, but I know enough not to cry about what was a clean football hit.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:37 PM
Are you that stupid?

Technically, you can only tackle someone who has the ball. So how about you can't wrap up a QB who has released the ball? It's about the same fine line as not being able to tackle a receiver who hasn't caught the ball without drawing a flag. Again, that is a rule that was put in place to protect players.

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:40 PM
Are you that stupid?

Technically, you can only tackle someone who has the ball. So how about you can't wrap up a QB who has released the ball? It's about the same fine line as not being able to tackle a receiver who hasn't caught the ball without drawing a flag. Again, that is a rule that was put in place to protect players.

So as soon as Sam threw the ball that dude should have stopped instantaneously? More proof you never played football, or at least the kind were they tackle and stuff.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:41 PM
I don't claim any extra football knowledge, but I know enough not to cry about what was a clean football hit.

BS. Yes, you do. You've said that you're opinion is valid because you played "real" football, whatever that means. I'm actually trying to have a conversation about what, if anything, should be done to protect players. The game has evolved for the past 100 years with this single goal in mind.

But, you played "real" football, and I didn't, so carry on.

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:44 PM
BS. Yes, you do. You've said that you're opinion is valid because you played "real" football, whatever that means. I'm actually trying to have a conversation about what, if anything, should be done to protect players. The game has evolved for the past 100 years with this single goal in mind.

But, you played "real" football, and I didn't, so carry on.

You admitted the truth, that's the first step.

I said I don't have any EXTRA football knowledge, of course that means I'm still ahead of some of you guys.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:48 PM
So as soon as Sam threw the ball that dude should have stopped instantaneously? More proof you never played football, or at least the kind were they tackle and stuff.

I never did play football - wow, you've exposed me!!!

I keep holding back in my posts out of some sense of fair play, because it is obvious that you have the intellectual capacity of rock. By the way, unless you're French, it's "where" not "were", moron.

So, to answer your question - no, he need not have stopped "instantaneously", but he could have chosen not to wrap up, if indeed the rules were changed so that it is a penalty to wrap up a quarterback who has released the ball. Just like the rules were recently changed so that you can't spear a defenseless receiver in the head with your head/helmet. The fact of the matter is that where you played football, when you played football, and how you played football is irrelevant. The question on the table is: "Should there be a rule change whereby it is illegal to wrap up on a quarterback who has released the ball?"

Anything else you bring to this discussion is really tantamount to you beating off over the fading memories of your imagined Everybody's All American moments.

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I thought the point of the game was supposed to be outscore your opponent, not bash each others heads in. I really feel badly for Bradford (and Gresham) because he (they) have done alot for the Sooners, and he (they) deserve a big time payday in the pros. Many more hits like that and he just might not make it.

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:50 PM
I never did play football - wow, you've exposed me!!!

I know, you feel better now don't you?

After admitting the above the rest of your post is so much garbage so I won't be responding to it.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 10:55 PM
I know, you feel better now don't you?

After admitting the above the rest of your post is so much garbage so I won't be responding to it.

Which part is garbage? The part where I asked you whether or not it should be illegal to wrap up a quarterback who has released the ball, or the part where I noted that you have the intellectual capacity of a rock?

By the way, did you play Division One football?

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:58 PM
Which part is garbage? The part where I asked you whether or not it should be illegal to wrap up a quarterback who has released the ball, or the part where I noted that you have the intellectual capacity of a rock.

By the way, did you play Division One football?

You bet your momma's hiney I did.

We tackled and everything. I even graduated -- pretty good for a rock.

Anyway, you boys are no fun, a little light in the pants if you ask me.

See ya around.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:00 PM
I even graduated -- pretty good for a rock.

Wow, they should get their scholarship money back.

See ya around.

Don't let the door hit you, rock.

OUAlumni1990
9/8/2009, 11:00 PM
I even graduated -- pretty good for a rock.

You must have went to UT. There are alot of players with rocks between their ears that graduate from there (or at least get passing grades) ie Vince Young.

Crucifax Autumn
9/8/2009, 11:05 PM
I have to go with the "It's football, act like Sooners and quit whining" crowd on this one.

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 11:07 PM
I have to go with the "It's football, act like Sooners and quit whining" crowd on this one.

Atta boy! :D

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:08 PM
You bet your momma's hiney I did.

We tackled and everything. I even graduated -- pretty good for a rock.

Anyway, you boys are no fun, a little light in the pants if you ask me.

See ya around.

By the way, no joke - if you can give me verifiable proof that you got a scholarship to and were named as a starter at a Division One football program, I will donate $100 to the Bob Stoops Champions Foundation. Any mod on this board can be the judge.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:09 PM

By the way, I'm not necessarily disagreeing - I'm just asking the question about whether or not more should be done to protect the QB.

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 11:09 PM
By the way, I'm not necessarily disagreeing - I'm just asking the question about whether or not more should be done to protect the QB.

You mean like putting them in a pretty little dress? ;)

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:12 PM
You mean like putting them in a pretty little dress? ;)

Well at least that's funny.

My only point is that over the years many rules have been put in place to protect players. You can still get to the quarterback without wrapping him up and driving him to the ground after he's released the ball. Hell, if it's radio and he's scrambling, knock the **** out of him - everybody accepts that.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:13 PM
Talking about little dresses, since when is pis* a bad word that deserves the * treatment?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 11:23 PM
Well at least that's funny.

My only point is that over the years many rules have been put in place to protect players. You can still get to the quarterback without wrapping him up and driving him to the ground after he's released the ball. Hell, if it's radio and he's scrambling, knock the **** out of him - everybody accepts that.

You mean like in the No Fun League?

Let football be football, the guys that play know the risks, we as fans know the risks, lets not ruin the game because we as a nation seemingly become more and more wussified every day. Rant over. :P

stoopified
9/8/2009, 11:24 PM
Anyone afarid of getting hurt shouldn't play football.Likewise anyone who complains about injuries in football should sitch to following baseball.I am upset that Sam is hurt and also because of what that can do to our season BUT it was a clean hit.

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 11:26 PM
Anyone afarid of getting hurt shouldn't play football.Likewise anyone who complains about injuries in football should sitch to following baseball.I am upset that Sam is hurt and also because of what that can do to our season BUT it was a clean hit.

Yup, SPEK.

rainiersooner
9/8/2009, 11:29 PM
Fair enough, those are good arguments - I disagree - but totally fair...whether or not ya'll played football. :)

Cappy
9/9/2009, 12:04 AM
It was a clean play.

If that is true it is just another sign that football is becoming to pussified

You also have to protect your assets. NFL is a business and what good is it for an owner to have Tom Brady on the sidelines all year like last year. (I know he was injured in a different type of hit, just first thing that popped into my mind.)

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 12:14 AM
I think they should leave the rule alone. If you think otherwise write letters and **** if it makes you feel better. But don't go all pansy whorn and start crying about a legal hit by current rules. I think football SHOULD be hard-hitting and brutal, so I won't be writing letters and crying, but if anyone disagrees lobby for a rule change and when someone breaks the new rule start crying then. And honestly, even if the hit had been against the rules and the dude got a penalty, Sam would still be hurt. I bet some people here are crying more than Sam and his entire family combined.

rainiersooner
9/9/2009, 12:18 AM
I think they should leave the rule alone. If you think otherwise write letters and **** if it makes you feel better. But don't go all pansy whorn and start crying about a legal hit by current rules. I think football SHOULD be hard-hitting and brutal, so I won't be writing letters and crying, but if anyone disagrees lobby for a rule change and when someone breaks the new rule start crying then. And honestly, even if the hit had been against the rules and the dude got a penalty, Sam would still be hurt. I bet some people here are crying more than Sam and his entire family combined.

Who is crying?

By the way, do you believe chop blocks should be legal or illegal?

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 12:27 AM
Who is crying?

By the way, do you believe chop blocks should be legal or illegal?

Chop block probably should be illegal, cut blocks probably not, despite so many people not knowing the difference.

Barry Stoops
9/9/2009, 12:36 AM
Wow, they should get their scholarship money back.

Don't let the door hit you, rock.

You better back up :mad:
I blocked in High school for Al Bundy :mad:

Barry Stoops
9/9/2009, 12:39 AM
Talking about little dresses, since when is pis* a bad word that deserves the * treatment?

When you are full of it ?:confused:

rainiersooner
9/9/2009, 01:06 AM
Chop block probably should be illegal, cut blocks probably not, despite so many people not knowing the difference.

I know the difference.

Why do you think a chop block should be illegal?

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 01:24 AM
Likelihood of injury when done "like you're supposed to".

I don't think it compares at all to tackling a guy who happens to land on his shoulder. That happens constantly in football with a relatively low rate of injury.

I see the hook, but I'm not gonna bite hard enough for you to reel me in. The reality is I think the less "roughness" rules the better.

rainiersooner
9/9/2009, 01:33 AM
I didn't expect you to...but you see my point. There are rules that are put in place to protect players. For some reason, "taking the QB out" is still considered part of the game. I'm not convinced it makes the game better.

More to the point, the only player who has to take a tackle without being able to brace for it is the QB - because he is focusing on getting the pass off. That's why - in my opinion - there are relatively few shoulder injuries from tackling (I agree with you), but those that occur happen most frequently to quarterbacks.

Soonerborn03
9/9/2009, 01:54 AM
I have no problem with the tackle.

It's fine for him to empathize with Bradford's situation, but he shouldn't regret making the hit. He's doing his job and Bradford was doing his. Unfortunately, it put Bradford out for a little while. These things happen in football.

IMO, it was a clean hit and one I hope our defensive players plan to make at every opportunity. Not with the intention of putting a player out of the game, but with the intention of making that QB see some stars and put the fear into him.

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:02 AM
Perhaps quarterbacks, even the best of them, need to be more physically conditioned, have better footwork, and *cue drumroll* be able to expect a second or 2 to pass before a guy comes in unopposed to flatten his ***.

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 08:36 AM
alright **** it, we'll do it live:D

Anyways here is proof to you guys that say he intentionally drove sam to the ground.
n0CcFBO6dQs&feature=popt11us03&hd=1

He was airborn and almost verticle when he hit Bradford. He didn't forcefully drive him to the ground. He hit him while leaping at him and followed him the the ground. EXACTLY what you are suppose to do. If you refute this, IMO you really are looking at it through Crimson colored glasses.

rainiersooner
9/9/2009, 09:09 AM
Perhaps quarterbacks, even the best of them, need to be more physically conditioned, have better footwork, and *cue drumroll* be able to expect a second or 2 to pass before a guy comes in unopposed to flatten his ***.

I do agree with you in this case - I can't remember if it was Sam who said it or Trent Williams, but Sam was supposed to have read the blitz and dumped the ball off to his hot read, instead of standing there, throwing deep, and taking the hit. It's ironic - I think one of the reasons he did it is because he wanted to show that he could be like Brett Favre and take a hit. Bad idea.

I'm not saying there was anything dirty about Clawson's tackle - I never said that. I was making a more general observation about rules that could protect the QB. Anyway, you guys all disagree, so be it.

sooneron
9/9/2009, 09:14 AM
alright **** it, we'll do it live:D

Anyways here is proof to you guys that say he intentionally drove sam to the ground.
n0CcFBO6dQs&feature=popt11us03&hd=1

He was airborn and almost verticle when he hit Bradford. He didn't forcefully drive him to the ground. He hit him while leaping at him and followed him the the ground. EXACTLY what you are suppose to do. If you refute this, IMO you really are looking at it through Crimson colored glasses.

:Why are you still ****ing posting in this thread? I thought you were done with it like two days ago? My only issue with the play happens AFTER the :56 mark of the video linked above.
To those of you saying I'm whining or I never played tackle football, well, you're ****ing wrong on both counts. So p iss off. Clawson leveraged his weight higher onto Sam's shoulder after they had already hit the ground. I spotted it the second that I saw it live. Like I said, lots of players do it including lots of our players. It's a clean hit, I'm not refuting that, but it trends towards unnecessary, because it's not like he was trying to get the ball away- he knew Sam had released it.
If you disagree, disagree then and that's fine, saying that I am whining or that I or anyone here wants pansy ball is stupid. ****ing grow the **** up.

soonerloyal
9/9/2009, 09:25 AM
I can't believe this thread is nine pages long. Thought I was on the Poke Board there for a minute. :eek:

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 09:25 AM
Clawson leveraged his weight higher onto Sam's shoulder after they had already hit the ground.

no he didn't. plus that wasn't what caused it. The injury occurred at the moment of impact. Not "after they had already hit the ground"

beer4me
9/9/2009, 09:31 AM
If the O line would have done their job the hit would not have happened.

It was a clean hit

sooneron
9/9/2009, 09:35 AM
Ok, whatever, as it is pretty obvious, we are looking at different video. I didn't realize that you were a doctor in addition to being a tackle football legend.
I'm done with this. Unlike you, I can actually not lie about that and come back repeatedly after saying that I'm not posting anymore.

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 09:36 AM
Ok, whatever, as it is pretty obvious, we are looking at different video. I didn't realize that you were a doctor in addition to being a tackle football legend.
I'm done with this. Unlike you, I can actually not lie about that and come back repeatedly after saying that I'm not posting anymore.

Oh no's...I lied on a message board!

I came back to post the best video and replays I had seen.