PDA

View Full Version : Joey or Landry?

westcoast_sooner
9/7/2009, 11:33 PM
The Sooners ended up with "L"s in both cases, but was wondering the take on Soonerfans whether there was more confidence in what Landry did or what Joey Halzle did when Sam went down against Tech in 2007?

My thought is that both played OK - neither were spectacular. Both put us in position to win the game.

Comments?

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:39 PM
At least with Landry you can see some real potential.

LawtonBoy74
9/7/2009, 11:42 PM
Landry put the ball on the money a couple of times..I remember watching the game again and seeing one of his throws and I thought it was still the first half because it was identical to one of Sam's passes

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2009, 11:50 PM
Jones has huge upside physically compared to Joey and showed great poise in a pressure situation. Joey was cast strictly as a backup and never groomed as a future starter. I think we'll see some impressive stuff from Jones after a few weeks of practice with 1st team and a couple of games. Of course, there will be mistakes too.

westcoast_sooner
9/8/2009, 12:00 AM
Personally what I'm hoping to see is that Landry does some good things in the next few weeks that will carry over through next season and as Landry's career progresses.

Sooner70
9/8/2009, 06:27 AM
Considering the circumstances, I thought Landry did OK. OU really needs to decomplicate their offense inside the 5 yard line. Meerkat needs to be put aside when we get there. Too confusing & takes too long.

badger
9/8/2009, 07:18 AM
Reporter: Who is the third quarterback now?
Stoops: Heupel.

:D

RedstickSooner
9/8/2009, 07:19 AM
Reporter: Who is the third quarterback now?
Stoops: Heupel.

:D

Man, if only that were true. You don't suppose anyone would notice if we put Heupel in someone else's uniform and trotted him out there under center, do you?

1890MilesToNorman
9/8/2009, 07:34 AM
Man, if only that were true. You don't suppose anyone would notice if we put Heupel in someone else's uniform and trotted him out there under center, do you?

How's he gonna hide his bigger belly he's been working on the past few years? :P

badger
9/8/2009, 07:43 AM

NP said that's what Stoops told the press at the conference yesterday. Shows that Stoops still has a sense of humor with the media even if he has a gift at making reporters feel stupid after asking questions.

tigepilot
9/8/2009, 08:17 AM
I was more impressed with Landry's performance the other night than any backup I've seen in a while. I liked the way he moved in the pocket, the way he threw the ball, and his accuracy. There was one play where he threw the ball right between two OU players and within both of their grasp (didn't have stretch for it or anything) with BYU players just outside either of the OU players (no way to intercept) and the announcers started talking about not having the accuracy that Bradford had. I thought that was a perfect through on that play, receivers just need to catch it. I think where Bradford is better (based on what little we got to see) is that he has a softer touch on the passes when he can which makes them easier to catch. Those hard rifle shot short passes MUST be harder to catch.

I wish we had seen some long passes to get a better feel for what he can do with the long ball but he definitely has arm strength cause the short passes were firing out really hard and fast. He didn't seem panicked or like he didn't know what to do either. Most of the issues I saw had to do with the coaching staff in getting in plays and calling plays that made sense.

I'm NOT saying OU won't miss Bradford but I do think OU will be fine with Landry and am now looking forward to the time when he is the starter outright because I think he'll be fun to watch. I've said this in other threads, I'm more worried about the state of the offense without Gresham... NOT impressed with the tight ends that were there the other night and while Eldridge is good, he can't come close to doing what Gresham did for the offense.

When Hazle came in a couple of years ago against Tech, I thought he seemed a bit dazzled and his passes just kept zipping over the receiver's head for about 2 quarters or so.

RedstickSooner
9/8/2009, 08:26 AM
NP said that's what Stoops told the press at the conference yesterday. Shows that Stoops still has a sense of humor with the media even if he has a gift at making reporters feel stupid after asking questions.

It's a great quote, and one of Stoops' best. I just wish there was some way we could, y'know, pull it off :D

gaylordfan1
9/8/2009, 08:28 AM
I was impressed with L. Jones. It would have been a different game if the receivers would have caught the ball thrown into their hands... namely Tennell! Tennell was a huge dissapointment!

badger
9/8/2009, 08:30 AM
It's a great quote, and one of Stoops' best. I just wish there was some way we could, y'know, pull it off :D

Josh still acts like a student on the sideline at times - anyone else remember him streaking up and down the sideline when we had Mizzou trapped in their own endzone at home? I think a few plays later Booger Daniels was riding Man No. 40 into the endzone :D

Jack T.
9/8/2009, 09:05 AM
I was more impressed with Landry's performance the other night than any backup I've seen in a while.

<snip>

I'm NOT saying OU won't miss Bradford but I do think OU will be fine with Landry and am now looking forward to the time when he is the starter outright because I think he'll be fun to watch.

I agree 100%. One of the bright spots was how Landry played. I feel kinda bad jumping ship on Sam, and in a few weeks I may change my mind. . .but I am quite comfortable with Landry.

If only KW would turn him loose. I'm afraid we'll go ultra-conservative.

adoniijahsooner
9/8/2009, 09:13 AM
LJ all the way

soonerlaw
9/8/2009, 09:53 AM
I liked it when J-dub came in for Hybl in the Texas game. ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
9/8/2009, 09:59 AM
I agree 100%. One of the bright spots was how Landry played. I feel kinda bad jumping ship on Sam, and in a few weeks I may change my mind. . .but I am quite comfortable with Landry.

If only KW would turn him loose. I'm afraid we'll go ultra-conservative.

This is truth.

The kid may not have the handle on the offense that our boy Sam does, but the kid can play. Let the kid play. Limit your playcalling based on THAT fact, not the fact that he's not Sam Bradford, so let's throw the whole damn book out and stuff it in Chris and DeMarco's gut 40 times.

I mean, unless they're popping ten yards a carry, that is.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 10:03 AM
I think some of you need to go back and watch that teck game (If you can stomach it). Once Wilson adapted his play calling - Halzle was moving our team downfield, not relying so much on the running backs. I felt like we actually had a shot to win it with Halzle throwing a td pass, than with Landry doing so... we were a dropped td pass from tying that game up.
Halzle - 21-41 for 291yds 2 tds, 1 int

Landry does have more upside, but if you are going by one game's performance, I don't see how you can dismiss Joey for Landry, which is what I believe this thread is about.

Monster Zero
9/8/2009, 10:07 AM
The Sooners ended up with "L"s in both cases, but was wondering the take on Soonerfans whether there was more confidence in what Landry did or what Joey Halzle did when Sam went down against Tech in 2007?

My thought is that both played OK - neither were spectacular. Both put us in position to win the game.

Comments?

It doesn't matter. Landry's the guy who is here, now.

Joey's not on the team any more. Hope he's doing well wherever he is.

Pricetag
9/8/2009, 10:35 AM
Whatever experience Jones gets now will be good for this team after Sam is gone.

sooneron
9/8/2009, 10:37 AM
Whatever experience Jones gets now will be good for this team after Sam is gone.

Yep.

tigepilot
9/8/2009, 10:48 AM
I think some of you need to go back and watch that teck game (If you can stomach it). Once Wilson adapted his play calling - Halzle was moving our team downfield, not relying so much on the running backs. I felt like we actually had a shot to win it with Halzle throwing a td pass, than with Landry doing so... we were a dropped td pass from tying that game up.
Halzle - 21-41 for 291yds 2 tds, 1 int

Landry does have more upside, but if you are going by one game's performance, I don't see how you can dismiss Joey for Landry, which is what I believe this thread is about.

I remember very well that by the end of the game I thought Halzle was playing pretty well but he didn't start out that way at all.

LawtonBoy74
9/8/2009, 10:57 AM
Landry was actually a better QB out of high school than Sam..he's still no Sam Bradford but he is a good 2nd string college QB and probably will be a great future starter if he continues to improve his game and stay out of trouble

sooneron
9/8/2009, 01:46 PM
I remember very well that by the end of the game I thought Halzle was playing pretty well but he didn't start out that way at all.

Which part of "Once Wilson adapted his play calling" did you not get?

westcoast_sooner
9/8/2009, 02:50 PM
Guys, the reason I originally posed the question was because of the similarity of the situations. At Tech, Joey came in unexpectedly, had a bit of a rough start, but still had a chance to win at the end. A lot of people complained that he wasn't ready, hadn't got enough playing time, and why didn't the coaches have the backup ready.

Saturday, we have a similar situation, Landry came in and didn't play GREAT, but didn't play badly given the circumstances. We still had a chance to win the game at the end.

Point is, both guys seemed to come in and make pretty good decisions, and play pretty well. I, too hope Joey is doing well. I did like Landry's arm - thought he showed some good ability that we'll enjoy the next several weeks.

SoonerInFortSmith
9/8/2009, 03:03 PM
If it wasn't for penalties and some dropped passes Jones would've gotten us into makeable field goal range at the very least.

tigepilot
9/8/2009, 08:22 PM
Which part of "Once Wilson adapted his play calling" did you not get?

I saw that but you also indicated adaption the play calling away from the runningbacks. I remember wishing they would just run the ball... actually screaming RUN THE BALL... PLEASE!!!

tigepilot
9/8/2009, 08:24 PM
Guys, the reason I originally posed the question was because of the similarity of the situations. At Tech, Joey came in unexpectedly, had a bit of a rough start, but still had a chance to win at the end. A lot of people complained that he wasn't ready, hadn't got enough playing time, and why didn't the coaches have the backup ready.

Saturday, we have a similar situation, Landry came in and didn't play GREAT, but didn't play badly given the circumstances. We still had a chance to win the game at the end.

Point is, both guys seemed to come in and make pretty good decisions, and play pretty well. I, too hope Joey is doing well. I did like Landry's arm - thought he showed some good ability that we'll enjoy the next several weeks.

This... and Landry didn't have to 'warm up' before he started getting it to the receivers... they just weren't catching them.