PDA

View Full Version : THE MISSING TIMEOUT

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 07:20 PM
Has any source adequately covered the issue of why no coach had the presence of mind to call a timeout when it became clear that Landry Jones was not going to get the fourth and goal play snapped in time?

OUHOMER
9/7/2009, 07:23 PM
nope, I would like to see the answer to that.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 07:23 PM
If it was going to get asked...you would think Dean Blevins might have made mention of it to Bob when going over the replay.

Maybe you could call the Animal and ask them?

They are experts. :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2009, 07:32 PM
I saw the excuse and whether your a Wilson supporter or not, he should be pimp slapped for the reason...

He did not know the clock had reset to 25 seconds instead of 40...he didn't know the clock was going to expire

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 07:33 PM
I think all the coaches and players were so busy with the Meerkat offense on the goal line, that in all the commotion, they forgot about it. It seems that they get real busy in that part of the field to their own detriment. They should just line up, fire off the ball and get the TD instead of doing all those extracurriculars that are just confusing everybody, except maybe the defense.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2009, 07:39 PM
yup...being "distracted" is no excuse

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 07:42 PM
I saw the excuse and whether your a Wilson supporter or not, he should be pimp slapped for the reason...

He did not know the clock had reset to 25 seconds instead of 40...he didn't know the clock was going to expire

Wow...that is really disconcerting...on the level of "the dog ate my homework".

Not only should that mistake not be made by any Division I coaching staff, it should not be made by a coaching staff where the head guy gets 4 million a year. When you're getting paid 5-star money, you can't put a 3-star meal on the table.

AlbqSooner
9/7/2009, 07:45 PM
Likewise, it should not be made by a Division I Player. There is a great big clock over the cross bar that all eleven men on the field could see. Granted, Wilson or another coach should have seen it but so should at least one of the players.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 07:49 PM
Got some insight from another message board.

On the postgame show, Kevin Wilson was interviewed and took fully responsibility for that play.

and

I believe there is an excellent interview addressing who is responsible for calling time out in situations like that.

I don't have a link for that right now...but I might be able to get one. Not sure I can get it right now though.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 07:54 PM
Got some insight from another message board.

and

I don't have a link for that right now...but I might be able to get one. Not sure I can get it right now though.

That sure gives me mixed feelings....It's good that he sacks up and takes the blame...On the other hand, some mistakes just can't be made when you've reached the level that Wilson has.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 08:05 PM
What's sad is that's not the first time that mistake has been made. It happens at least once every season. Unbelievable.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2009, 08:10 PM
It would be foolish to expect Jones to call timeout with all that was going on in his first college game - I'm sure Sam would have done it. This in on the coaches all the way.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 08:13 PM
Not on Jones at all. Sam has been caught with delay before. As you said, that's on the coaches.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 08:13 PM
It would be foolish to expect Jones to call timeout with all that was going on in his first college game - I'm sure Sam would have done it. This in on the coaches all the way.

Totally agree. Just frustrates the heck out of me every time I think about our coaching staff making such a Pop Warner league mistake.....geez.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 08:23 PM
That sure gives me mixed feelings....It's good that he sacks up and takes the blame...On the other hand, some mistakes just can't be made when you've reached the level that Wilson has.

You know...being a leader doesn't require you to do every job..it requires you to take responsibility when folks you delegated things to fail to do their job.

Guys like you expect Kevin Wilson to be Perfect in every way. I expect him to hire and train people to get important jobs done. As he didn't plan on losing his Heisman Trophy winner Saturday night I'm sure there were even many more things that we didn't see. Was that a critical moment? You bet. Should we start a "FIRE KEVIN WILSON ! ! !" flame thread? I don't think so.

As I stated...and it makes sense...Bob and Kevin depend on many folks on the sidelines to do lots of stuff. We don't have all the facts about this yet. We may never even get them for that matter. You made a decent point. I think we can all agree that it was a critical moment. Even if we had the answer...it's not going to change the outcome. It's seems like there was a breakdown somewhere. We didn't play a cupcake on the road. We played a good team in a brand new stadium that no team in NCAA History has ever played in before. I didn't attend this game but I have poured over the tape on it multiple times. I've heard some folks on the board ask why other players didn't call it? Why didn't Coaches call it? I've tried to give you an answer and your just hostile toward Wilson. I think your making a very uniformed decision in doing that. There are tons of folks on the sidelines who are supposed to keep an eye on these things and as Delhalew was said...it's unbelievable that it happened. To bad it didn't happen during a game against a cupcake at Home where it might not have made as big an impact. But that's not how it went down.

There's the way we want it.

The way it ought to be.

And...

The way it really is.

If I'd had my way...we would have passed on playing in Jerry World. It's why I didn't go. I can deal with playing the whorns in the Cotton Bowl every year...it's better than ever having to try to get tickets every other year in Austin. Plus...you have the advantage of having played in that environment before. Jerry World was untested by any NCAA Team. Yes it was the same for both teams...but bYu didn't lose Max Hall and have a Freshman QB in there either.

You seem to want to start a flamebait thread every time you post. What's up with that?

OKLA21FAN
9/7/2009, 08:27 PM
60k sooners fans 'saw' the clock when it went under 7 seconds

just sayin :gary:

that being said, the 'third down' call, might be more reason to point fingers

delhalew
9/7/2009, 08:27 PM
I know that wasn't directed at me, but have I mentioned I'm pissed at Wilson?:D

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 08:37 PM
You know...being a leader doesn't require you to do every job..it requires you to take responsibility when folks you delegated things to fail to do their job.

Guys like you expect Kevin Wilson to be Perfect in every way. I expect him to hire and train people to get important jobs done. As he didn't plan on losing his Heisman Trophy winner Saturday night I'm sure there were even many more things that we didn't see. Was that a critical moment? You bet. Should we start a "FIRE KEVIN WILSON ! ! !" flame thread? I don't think so.

As I stated...and it makes sense...Bob and Kevin depend on many folks on the sidelines to do lots of stuff. We don't have all the facts about this yet. We may never even get them for that matter. You made a decent point. I think we can all agree that it was a critical moment. Even if we had the answer...it's not going to change the outcome. It's seems like there was a breakdown somewhere. We didn't play a cupcake on the road. We played a good team in a brand new stadium that no team in NCAA History has ever played in before. I didn't attend this game but I have poured over the tape on it multiple times. I've heard some folks on the board ask why other players didn't call it? Why didn't Coaches call it? I've tried to give you an answer and your just hostile toward Wilson. I think your making a very uniformed decision in doing that. There are tons of folks on the sidelines who are supposed to keep an eye on these things and as Delhalew was said...it's unbelievable that it happened. To bad it didn't happen during a game against a cupcake at Home where it might not have made as big an impact. But that's not how it went down.

The way it ought to be.

And...

The way it really is.

If I'd had my way...we would have passed on playing in Jerry World. It's why I didn't go. I can deal with playing the whorns in the Cotton Bowl every year...it's better than ever having to try to get tickets every other year in Austin. Plus...you have the advantage of having played in that environment before. Jerry World was untested by any NCAA Team. Yes it was the same for both teams...but bYu didn't lose Max Hall and have a Freshman QB in there either.

You seem to want to start a flamebait thread every time you post. What's up with that?

Whoa......easy. I am not calling for Kevin Wilson's job. And you admit that this is a legitimate point of discussion.

Attention to detail can be such an important and deciding factor in big games. My point is that it is alarming that neither Wilson, any other sideline coach, or anyone upstairs thought to take some action when the playclock got down to :05 and Landry was still checking off at the line

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 08:39 PM

The way it ought to be.

And...

The way it really is.

Because he is a Troll.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 08:40 PM
Further...it raises the point if Stoops needs to do more to ensure that a tight ship is being run

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 08:45 PM
Further...it raises the point if Stoops needs to do more to ensure that a tight ship is being run

Again...I'm really leaning towards what CK is saying and that you really don't provide any insight to the board. You want to take jabs at Coaches, players and posters.

You rush to judgement on everything and are unable to accept that no team runs a perfect ship. If you think it happens, your delusional.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 08:47 PM
Because he is a Troll.

Ah yes....CK Sooner being true to form.

Running to the argument refuge sought by many 18 year olds.

When you can't debate a point on the merits...just sling out the ol' ad hominem.

You say you are in school......one wonders if you are going to class?

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 08:50 PM

When you can't debate a point on the merits...just sling out the ol' ad hominem.

Again, I bet if I looked through all your posts they will all be negative because your a whiny little bitch. That is all you do is BITCH. I would seriously hate to live with you or around you because you cry and whine 24/7 and your a teacher? WOW.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 09:01 PM
Again, I bet if I looked through all your posts they will all be negative because your a whiny little bitch. That is all you do is BITCH. I would seriously hate to live with you or around you because you cry and whine 24/7 and your a teacher? WOW.

No. I am not a teacher. Never said I was, nor does anything in my profile say that I am. Is this another one of your debating tactics? Just make up the facts as you go.

In fact, I am a landman at Chesapeake.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 09:03 PM
No. I am not a teacher. Never said I was, nor does anything in my profile say that I am. Is this another one of your debating tactics? Just make up the facts as you go.

In fact, I am a landman at Chesapeake.

I thought you stated a long time ago that you were a teacher. You seem so into if people go to class are not and your a landman? You should worry about yourself and stop getting personal.

LOL.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 09:06 PM
Are you implying that being a landman is not an educated profession?

sooner ngintunr
9/7/2009, 09:07 PM
sounds like it

:pop:

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 09:09 PM

I am not actually and few higher ups in Chesapeake are family friends. I was implying that a landman shouldn't be worried about whether or not someone goes to "class".

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2009, 09:11 PM
Again...I'm really leaning towards what CK is saying and that you really don't provide any insight to the board. You want to take jabs at Coaches, players and posters.

You rush to judgement on everything and are unable to accept that no team runs a perfect ship. If you think it happens, your delusional.

There is absolutely no excuse for what happened on the 4th down play the other night; with all the damn coaches on the sideline not one of them was paying enough attention to the play clock to call a time out? That is UNBELIEVABLE.

FYI, in 2 years as a starter there has only been 1 delay of game penalty called on Sam

olevetonahill
9/7/2009, 09:12 PM
I thought you stated a long time ago that you were a teacher. You seem so into if people go to class are not and your a landman? You should worry about yourself and stop getting personal.

LOL.

Do you have problems with reading ?

sooner ngintunr
9/7/2009, 09:15 PM
FYI, in 2 years as a starter there has only been 1 delay of game penalty called on Sam

He's such a stud.

That stat kind of surprises me due to fact that he was a RS starter.

Boarder
9/7/2009, 09:17 PM

An ad hominem attack is when you attack the argument for who the person is rather than what thier argument is saying. In the post you mentioned, they said the reason you posted flamebaits was because you were a troll. They didn't necessarily say that you were right or wrong due to being a troll. He provided other arguments to refute your claim.

Sorry about the confusion on your part.

BoulderSooner79
9/7/2009, 09:19 PM
He's such a stud.

That stat kind of surprises me due to fact that he was a RS starter.

And Jones may be just as crafty. But he didn't have the luxury of being the starter since camp. He was thrown into the fray at halftime without so much as a week of practice with the 1st squad. I thought he did well.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 09:20 PM
I am not actually and few higher ups in Chesapeake are family friends. I was implying that a landman shouldn't be worried about whether or not someone goes to "class".

A few posts back, you admonish ME for getting personal? In fact, look at the sequence of posts in this thread...Was it me or you who INITIATED the namecalling by using the "Troll" term? No that was you.

My statement about you going to class, was a sarcastic response. The implication being that even though you say you are a student, your ability to cogently and maturely address another person's argument calls into question how much you have learned in your 18 years.

sooner ngintunr
9/7/2009, 09:26 PM
And Jones may be just as crafty. But he didn't have the luxury of being the starter since camp. He was thrown into the fray at halftime without so much as a week of practice with the 1st squad. I thought he did well.

I guess I really didn't think of that. I wasn't taking anything away from LJ. I thought he did very well under the circumstances. You reminded me that one of those circumstances was that he did not get to take many snaps with the first team.

I'm not really worried about our QB situation, I saw alot of other problems out there, neither one was SB or LJ.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 09:29 PM

I guess that really goes back to the point in what I was trying to convey to okcu...

Sam wasn't there. The game was in a stadium with some possible problems. Mistakes can be made much easier. Sometimes it's a number of really small things that can lead to a huge catastrophe which is exactly what we the fans saw occur.

TahoeSooner on OUInsider gave me a supposed quote from Wilson but again...when your a Coach and someone sticks a microphone in your face all the time...your going to give a guarded answer especially without the luxury of having a post game sit-down with your staff.

Here's what he posted to me.

Here is the exact Wilson quote. This is the exact, precise opposite of taking responsibility. And this is the staff that claimed they never make excuses.

"You can see from the TV copy they've got the (play) clock running (before the ball is officially spotted). I don't know if that's the accurate clock, but there's 24 seconds when the referee hands the ball to the umpire," Wilson said. "The ball's not on the ground yet. And you can see on tape they're looking like, 'Hey, should we (reset the clock) from 25?"

Jones got his offense to the line of scrimmage, but took a delay of game penalty. Backed up 5 yards, OU sent out Jimmy Stevens for a field goal, and what could have potentially become a 17-7 lead was instead 13-7.

A key turn of events, considering BYU won 14-13.

"We were totally taken off guard by that delay. We did not sense that the play was in (from the bench) late, that we were in jeopardy," Wilson said. "We went up (to the line of scrimmage) and wanted to see where they were. We saw where they were, thought we had a nice play called, and just didn't get it off. And that's my fault. I did not assess the clock was running down

"I don't see, seriously, as fast as we call plays, how that could happen, but it did. And that's my responsibility to see that. I did not sense or see that, and I don't think anyone did."

Thanks to Tahoe over there for the info.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 09:39 PM
I guess that really goes back to the point in what I was trying to convey to okcu...

Sam wasn't there. The game was in a stadium with some possible problems. Mistakes can be made much easier. Sometimes it's a number of really small things that can lead to a huge catastrophe which is exactly what we the fans saw occur.

TahoeSooner on OUInsider gave me a supposed quote from Wilson but again...when your a Coach and someone sticks a microphone in your face all the time...your going to give a guarded answer especially without the luxury of having a post game sit-down with your staff.

Here's what he posted to me.

Thanks to Tahoe over there for the info.

Ok...it seems like the refs (what a shock) may have screwed up at OU's expense by not correctly setting the time clock. It just seems to me that between Stoops, the running backs coach, the offensive coordinator, the tight ends coach, the line coach, the graduate assistants, etc, etc, etc, that someone should have noticed where the playclock was when it got under :05 and Landry isn't even close to taking the snap.

OKLA21FAN
9/7/2009, 09:42 PM
Ok...it seems like the refs (what a shock) may have screwed up at OU's expense by not correctly setting the time clock. It just seems to me that between Stoops, the running backs coach, the offensive coordinator, the tight ends coach, the line coach, the graduate assistants, etc, etc, etc, that someone should have noticed where the playclock was when it got under :05 and Landry isn't even close to taking the snap.

this

(and the 60K OU fans saw it as well)

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 10:38 PM

In the end it's Bob and Wilson's responsibility even if they had delegated the job or a player didn't do it or the player who was supposed to do it wasn't in there and his back-up blew it. I don't know what they have setup.

I guess we could dig and dig to try and find out but let's paint this scenario.

How would you like to be say a Graduate Asst Coach or a subordinate and have Bob or Kevin say it was your fault? How would you like to wake up the next morning and have 200 or 300 Fans pelting your car with eggs as you leave for work?

It's goes back to what's been said many times here...it's not gonna put a "W" in the win column.

It would be funny if we found out it was okcu's fault though. :D :pop: ;)

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 10:42 PM
If no one else wants to can I call for Kevin Wilson's job? ;)

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 10:46 PM

And if I looked through all of your posts, they would look as if an elementary school student wrote them on "say as little of substance as possible" day. So what?

And, for the record, Mensa, I'M the (now ex) teacher. Get your flame wars straight, Nancy. You seem to have a lot to say to this guy. Why won't you respond to me and the direct, football-related questions you were asked on the other thread?

the_ouskull

Post Script -- In case anybody younger than you reads this board, I don't want them thinking that it's okay to write the way you do, so here:

Again, I bet if I looked through all your posts they will

Either "looked" needs to be "look," or "will" needs to be "would."

all be negative because your a whiny little bitch.

Whose awhinylittlebitch? It's certainly not mine. You know that there is a difference between the word "your" and the contracted "you are," right?

That is all you do is BITCH.

Poor place for emphasis, but given some of your other grammatical choices, it's not the worst one. It is a bit hypocritical that someone who has done nothing but neg me all day long would try to complain to someone else about complaining though. And by "a bit hypocritical," I mean "re-d*mn-diculously hypocritical."

I would seriously hate to live with you or around you because you cry and whine 24/7

Once again, says the hypocrite that's been doing the exact same thing all day long. If you live in a glass house, you should be careful with the rocks, sir.

and your a teacher?

Whose ateacher? I took mine with me. Well then you should have asked the Walrus!

WOW.

Indeed. It amazes me how the ignorant have a limitless capacity for the expansion of said ignorance. So, I ask once again, if you're in college, how? Are you a f*ckt*rd when it comes to the written language, but you're like John Nash, or Will Hunting when it comes to math or something?

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:48 PM
Grammar Smack.

:D

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 10:49 PM
Selective perception is another symptom of idiocy. I did a lot more than rip you for your short bus writing "style." Address those things too, girl.

the_ouskull

rainiersooner
9/7/2009, 10:50 PM

Yeah, I read that too. I suppose I appreciated that he took the blame for it, but would have felt better if he hadn't been a bonehead to begin with.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 10:51 PM
Grammar Smack.

Geeze CK, I've been telling you to attend those tutorials we have at the shack, and what do you do? Yep, go down to the creek and make mud pies. :D

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:53 PM
Geeze CK, I've been telling you to attend those tutorials we have at the shack, and what do you do? Yep, go down to the creek and make mud pies. :D

:P :P

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 10:55 PM
:P :P

Another well thought-out response from you. I don't see how we could have ever doubted your intellectuality... I mean, other than the dumb-as-f*ck vibe you put off...

the_ouskull

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:56 PM
Another well thought-out response from you. I don't see how we could have ever doubted your intellectuality... I mean, other than the dumb-as-f*ck vibe you put off...

the_ouskull

:P :P :P

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 10:57 PM
mmmmmmmmm....pie

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 10:59 PM
Yo CK, what did you do to skulls oatmeal?

Can we expect him to follow you around from now on critiquing your posts?

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 10:59 PM
mmmmmmmmm....pie

Is it chocolate? I love chocolate pie. :)

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:01 PM
Yo CK, what did you do to skulls oatmeal?

Can we expect him to follow you around from now on critiquing your posts?

I dropped my load in it.

He follows Jlew around too.

He likes the way we talk. MMMMMHMMMM

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh80/NuclearCookout/slingblade.jpg

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 11:04 PM
BTW...I just talked with Jerry Jones. He's having play clocks with flashing strobe lights and buzzers that go off with 5 seconds to go installed and he said to save him a piece of that chocolate pie.

sooner94
9/7/2009, 11:05 PM
Doesn't anyone on the sideline watch the play clock? As long as our coaches spend signaling in and/or changing plays (which is often a very long time), you would think someone on the sideline would keep an eye on the clock.

How is Landry supposed to watch the play clock when he's watching the sideline of the play to be signaled in? Definitely not Landry's fault.

Unacceptable mistake. Probably cost us the game.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:05 PM
BTW...I just talked with Jerry Jones. He's having play coocks with flashing strobe lights and buzzers that go off with 5 (five) seconds to go installed.

You arnt not talk like the that, you just a boy.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h86/aclapp_2006/slingblade.jpg

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 11:09 PM
Selective perception is another symptom of idiocy. I did a lot more than rip you for your short bus writing "style." Address those things too, girl.

the_ouskull

Thank you skull.

Perhaps when more people call CK and his ilk out on their bullying, territorial, I have seniority by virtue of my thousands of posts (regardless of the quality of the content) ways, they will actually start to discuss divergent points of view like well-adjusted human beings.....

.....for example addressing the premises of a person's argument rather than reflexively spewing some "witticism" like....."you suck", "troll", or "vag".

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:11 PM
not ha ha funny but ha ha funny quire.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/greenaccord02/Sling-Blade-movie-07.jpg

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 11:16 PM
not ha ha funny but ha ha funny quire.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/greenaccord02/Sling-Blade-movie-07.jpg

Oh look.

CK is being clever. He's mixing verbal ad hominems with pictoral ad hominems.

Way to multi-task!

We may not be able to teach him forensics, but there appears to be hope as far as walking and chewing gum.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:17 PM
Thank you skull.

Perhaps when more people call CK and his ilk out on their bullying, territorial, I have seniority by virtue of my thousands of posts (regardless of the quality of the content) ways, they will actually start to discuss divergent points of view like well-adjusted human beings.....

.....for example addressing the premises of a person's argument rather than reflexively spewing some "witticism" like....."you suck", "troll", or "vag".

You need to come around more often. You're comedy gold.

It's gold Jerry, gold. :D

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:18 PM
Oh look.

CK is being clever. He's mixing verbal ad hominems with pictoral ad hominems.

Way to multi-task!

We may not be able to teach him forensics, but there appears to be hope as far as walking and chewing gum.

I don't understand all of it, but I reckon I understand a great deal of it.

http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u353/StvMcQueen_bucket/slingblade.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2009, 11:23 PM
I reckon my side hurts from reading both sides of this brilliant debate.

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 11:24 PM

The ilk speaketh.

Did you get CK's permission? Haven't quite figured out who is the bull and who is the cow between you and CK.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:25 PM
I reckon my side hurts from reading both sides of this brilliant debate.

They was these 2 fellers standin'on a bridge goin' to the bathroom. One feller said that the water was cold. The other feller said the water was deep... I believe one feller come from Arkansas. Get it?

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/babygirlcats40/yo.jpg

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:25 PM
The ilk speaketh.

Did you get CK's permission? Haven't quite figured out who is the bull and who is the cow between you and CK.

Haven't you noticed -- I have seniority, I get to be whatever I want. :P

olevetonahill
9/7/2009, 11:26 PM
The ilk speaketh.

Me either But I know where the bullshat is coming from:pop:

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:26 PM
The ilk speaketh.

Is this the kind of retard that drools and rubs **** in his hair and all that? 'Cause I'm gonna have a hard time eatin' arund that kind of thing now....just like I am at antique furniture and midgets. I can't so much drink a glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/jobesteph/SlingbladeJpeg.jpg

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:27 PM

Careful, I think you're considered one of the "ilk" too. :D

okcusooner
9/7/2009, 11:29 PM

I was wondering why we hadn't heard from the site's resident hillbilly! Monster truck rally just ended?

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:31 PM
The ilk speaketh.

I don't recon you have to go with women to be a good daddy to a boy. The Bible says two men ought not lay together, but I don't recon the good Lord would send nobody like you to Hades. That boy, Frank, he lives inside of his own heart. That's an awful big place to live in. You take care of that boy.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w267/cpatton57/SlingBlade_mt.jpg

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:31 PM
Damn it Vet! Did you go to the truck rally without me again? :mad:

olevetonahill
9/7/2009, 11:32 PM
I was wondering why we hadn't heard from the site's resident hillbilly! Monster truck rally just ended?

Nope I were in the out house. Taken a ****sooner :rolleyes:

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 11:33 PM
CD, you're going to be the smartest guy in your home town to fail out of college in less than two years. Aren't you proud? I know your parents will be.

So, feel free to keep "tell"ing me how smart you are if it tickles your fancy, but the other half of that game is "show," and so far, like your love life, you're coming up a bit short. I just hope you show your college, if you attend college, more than you show this board. I also hope you're not on a scholarship anywhere. 1) If you are, and you go to OU, it devalues my diploma. 2) A total waste of tax dollars.

For the record, I don't "like the way you talk," although I'm sure you have a very pretty mouth. I'm appalled by the way you talk, frankly. It sickens me to think that someone as f*ckdumb as you is allowed to share the same natural resources I am. People like you should have your own bathrooms, fountains, and should be sterilized as early as possible.

But, since you have to have sex to procreate, I guess we can hold off on that part of your "education" for a while, no?

okcu... (I don't care if you take) no offense (or not), but don't lump me in with you. I'm not doing this to get your back. You're one of the members of the herd I'd be chasing off if there wasn't a lesson to be taught to Mr. Still-Shaves-With-A-Warm-Washcloth over here... Social Darwinism at its finest. Any of this, ALL of it, is to try to make this an all-around better message board. If we can eliminate the fans that make OU look bad, or that make OU fans look bad, then we have made the rest of the fanbase that much stronger. I am a firm believer in smacking my own when it comes to message boards. CD, on the other hand, tends to smack his own in lieu of being unable to afford a Real Doll.

I'm starting to wonder if CD even goes to OU, though. It wouldn't surprise me either way. I've met some real idiots that got into OU over the years. Regardless, he can keep trying to neg me, or say things like, "unemployed teacher," if it helps him in his eyes. I want him to be happy. The ignorant usually are. It fits.

But, before I go, a quick reminder. I am both a teacher, and unemployed from teaching, by choice. Were it not for a summer of personal drama, I would still be teaching and coaching. As it is, my plans were changed for me, and I adapted. If I were you, I'd take notes. If you are, indeed, in college now, it would be wise for you to start thinking about what your next step is going to be. Graduation? HA! Slow down. Let's work on the "your" / "you're" dilemma you seem to have first. After that, we'll tackle "to," "too," and "two," or maybe some other things that I taught my high school freshmen last year, and that you, as a college (allegedly) freshman, don't seem to know now.

My smack? Locked in a cage fight. Your smack? Suffers from stage fright.

Heh. And here I was thinking I wasn't teaching any more. I'm still doling out lessons, it appears. They're just falling on dumb ears now as opposed to ignorant ones.

the_ouskull

olevetonahill
9/7/2009, 11:33 PM
Damn it Vet! Did you go to the truck rally without me again? :mad:

that okcu dude is such a blabber mouth :mad:

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:35 PM
OUSkull - Still an unemployed teacher on a message board.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:37 PM
OUSkull - Still unemployed on a message board.

He may be unemployed...

...but from the looks of it he's still pretty damn proud of himself. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
9/7/2009, 11:40 PM
He may be unemployed...

I dont think he likes anybody
he dayum sure dont like My spelin :pop:

Dan Thompson
9/7/2009, 11:41 PM
I would bet that KW was not in the coachs box all alone.

There is just too much blame to go around. We just where not ready.

Sooner24
9/7/2009, 11:42 PM
He may be unemployed...

Now that's funny I don't care who you are.

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2009, 11:42 PM
http://nittanywhiteout.com/Old%20files/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/train-wreck.jpg

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:43 PM
Notice how he calls me CD...

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:44 PM
Notice how he calls me CD...

I think he's trying to bedowngrade ya. :D

Sooner24
9/7/2009, 11:44 PM
http://nittanywhiteout.com/Old%20files/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/train-wreck.jpg

I bet skull thinks Bob Stoops was driving that train. :eek:

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:46 PM
Skull just went MIA.

olevetonahill
9/7/2009, 11:48 PM
Skull just went MIA.

I think his Boyfriend leaving him over the summer caused him to go off the deepend :eek:

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:51 PM
Skull just went MIA.

He'll be back on tomorrow with a complete thesis on what's wrong with each of us, and how we're contributing to the decline of SF.com and society in general.

Crucifax Autumn
9/7/2009, 11:52 PM
Don't forget the English language!

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:54 PM
He'll be back on tomorrow with a complete thesis on what's wrong with each of us, and how we're contributing to the decline of SF.com and society in general.

I feel sorry for his former students they probably wanted to beat the **** out of him.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 11:54 PM

Oh yeah, that must have slipped my feeble mind. :O

Sooner24
9/7/2009, 11:56 PM

Your both wrong.

How could too people be so confused?

:pop:

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 12:00 AM
Night boys.

I'll be back tomorrow with my speller and my cipherin book.

CK Sooner
9/8/2009, 12:06 AM
Night boys.

I'll be back tomorrow with my speller and my cipherin book.

You mean a diktonary you dumb hillbikby?

:eek: :D

olevetonahill
9/8/2009, 12:12 AM
Ill be here two with My
http://www.laurelleaffarm.com/photos/h122988.jpg

And

http://school.discoveryeducation.com/clipart/images/chalk.gif

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 12:30 AM
Thank you, fellas. I've been wondering what kind of hornets nest I could stir up around here in order to find out who the easy fish are. You are they.

I was looking for a good Facebook status update; something to cheer up my friends working at desks on the first day back after a three-day weekend. So, I fished these surprisingly stocked waters, and I managed to pull up a couple of good reads for my status update.

BUT...

I mean, don't get me wrong, you're all still perpetuating a culture in which it has become acceptable to be ignorant; to be deficient, but still allowed "in," because of people's feelings. Our ability to emote is what makes us human, yes, but a respect for one's own personal appearance is another. I simply cannot respect a human animal who is content with appearing, to anyone with any significant level of education, ignorant - of even the most simple rules of communication. When this country held itself, and our people, to a higher standard, I wouldn't have been the bad guy for questioning a disrespect for the English language. Why is ignorance rallied around? Why isn't intelligence, and an equal love for all culture, not just the padded, cleated kind, what people strive for anymore? Why is just being "good enough," or "okay" now acceptable?

Considering a kid pretty much has to choke a teacher to get failed in high school anymore, that devalues ALL of the grades. If a kid thinks they are an "A" student, but really, on the scale of reality, not of high school, they're more like a borderline-"B/C" student, would they not benefit, in the long run, from my telling them so?

Sure, I don't have to be so pompous about it, but I admit to a certain pleasure in being smarter than a lot of people, because I worked my *ss off when I was younger to get there. The fact that I'm pompous is more likely attributable to my OCPD than anything else. I'm a perfectionist to myself, and, by extension, others.

And, more personally, it saddens me to see how little the youth care about improving their ability to write, and understand (and enjoy) the language today. EvEryBoDy wantZ 2 tAlK lyke dis now. F*cking WHY? Why would anybody want to talk like that, ever? You would be better off getting "I'm stupid" tattooed across your forehead and just never speaking.

I lost the link sadly, but in researching some similar topics earlier, I found an article about university professors not knowing what to do about students coming in not knowing how to write any more, etc... In the headline for the article, "University" was misspelled.

I just don't understand why people are willing to settle for the middle when it comes to academics. Why would you NOT want to completely maximize your intellectual potential? Why are so many people "okay" with sounding like Larry the f*cking Cable Guy?

Aaaaand, as if on cue, here comes the argument, trotted out loyally, about how it's just a message board, and that you don't write like that in your school papers, etc.. PERFECT practice makes perfect. Practising something like an idiot usually leads to it being done like an idiot. The language is no different. You can't just "turn it on" and go from Cletus to Coleridge.

It's by this "now-now-now" society in which we live that we are seeing thousands of years of beauty and majesty be destroyed. And for what? More coverage of Paris Hilton's n*pple. Jon and Kate, Season 4: Who gets "shotgun?" THAT is the stuff that's being advertised straight down kids throats by billions and billions of dollars while schools that need new teachers are struggling to pay the teachers that they already have.

And we wonder why we see more and more of that stuff, and less and less "good stuff" anymore... TV shows. Movies. What happened to culture in our culture? What happened to intelligence? When did it become a "bad word?"

...or is all of this just because I'M a d*ck? 'cause I really kinda am.

the_ouskull

olevetonahill
9/8/2009, 12:39 AM

the_ouskull

This

Collier11
9/8/2009, 12:41 AM
Thank you, fellas. I've been wondering what kind of hornets nest I could stir up around here in order to find out who the easy fish are. You are they.

I was looking for a good Facebook status update; something to cheer up my friends working at desks on the first day back after a three-day weekend. So, I fished these surprisingly stocked waters, and I managed to pull up a couple of good reads for my status update.

BUT...

I mean, don't get me wrong, you're all still perpetuating a culture in which it has become acceptable to be ignorant; to be deficient, but still allowed "in," because of people's feelings. Our ability to emote is what makes us human, yes, but a respect for one's own personal appearance is another. I simply cannot respect a human animal who is content with appearing, to anyone with any significant level of education, ignorant - of even the most simple rules of communication. When this country held itself, and our people, to a higher standard, I wouldn't have been the bad guy for questioning a disrespect for the English language. Why is ignorance rallied around? Why isn't intelligence, and an equal love for all culture, not just the padded, cleated kind, what people strive for anymore? Why is just being "good enough," or "okay" now acceptable?

Considering a kid pretty much has to choke a teacher to get failed in high school anymore, that devalues ALL of the grades. If a kid thinks they are an "A" student, but really, on the scale of reality, not of high school, they're more like a borderline-"B/C" student, would they not benefit, in the long run, from my telling them so?

Sure, I don't have to be so pompous about it, but I admit to a certain pleasure in being smarter than a lot of people, because I worked my *ss off when I was younger to get there. The fact that I'm pompous is more likely attributable to my OCPD than anything else. I'm a perfectionist to myself, and, by extension, others.

And, more personally, it saddens me to see how little the youth care about improving their ability to write, and understand (and enjoy) the language today. EvEryBoDy wantZ 2 tAlK lyke dis now. F*cking WHY? Why would anybody want to talk like that, ever? You would be better off getting "I'm stupid" tattooed across your forehead and just never speaking.

I lost the link sadly, but in researching some similar topics earlier, I found an article about university professors not knowing what to do about students coming in not knowing how to write any more, etc... In the headline for the article, "University" was misspelled.

I just don't understand why people are willing to settle for the middle when it comes to academics. Why would you NOT want to completely maximize your intellectual potential? Why are so many people "okay" with sounding like Larry the f*cking Cable Guy?

Aaaaand, as if on cue, here comes the argument, trotted out loyally, about how it's just a message board, and that you don't write like that in your school papers, etc.. PERFECT practice makes perfect. Practising (you spelled that wrong)something like an idiot usually leads to it being done like an idiot. The language is no different. You can't just "turn it on" and go from Cletus to Coleridge.

It's by this "now-now-now" society in which we live that we are seeing thousands of years of beauty and majesty be destroyed. And for what? More coverage of Paris Hilton's n*pple. Jon and Kate, Season 4: Who gets "shotgun?" THAT is the stuff that's being advertised straight down kids throats by billions and billions of dollars while schools that need new teachers are struggling to pay the teachers that they already have.

And we wonder why we see more and more of that stuff, and less and less "good stuff" anymore... TV shows. Movies. What happened to culture in our culture? What happened to intelligence? When did it become a "bad word?"

the_ouskull

Collier11
9/8/2009, 12:48 AM

Is it cus you enjoy being smarter than others that you are, as you call it, "pompous" or is it cus you had to work so hard while not everyone else did?

If you get your enjoyment from being smarter than people on a message board, a message board where you have absolutely no idea if you are or arent smarter than someone else, then maybe you need to evaluate that?

Im not coming after you and im not defending anyone else, in fact I dont even know what or who you were going after when you typed that above cus I havent read this thread, all im saying is that there is something morbid about what you are getting your jollies off of because it is something that isnt even provable, and that should bother you considering you come from the education field.

I have a HS diploma and a college degree, I have had two decent jobs out of college and never been fired, I certainly dont think that makes me better than anyone else just cus I worked to earn that. I also think it is short minded and idiotic if anyone would assume that they were more intelligent than myself just cus on a message board which is for entertainment purposes, I choose to abbreviate, not always punctuate or proofread what I write, and speak in slang from time to time. Does that make me lazy, perhaps. Does it matter, hell no. Its a message board.

At the end of the day, there are a bunch of people smarter than you and I and a bunch of people who have half the IQ of you or I. Does it matter, not really.

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 05:18 AM
I don't know about you fellers...but if a certain someone is this thread starts in about how Roger Penske is ruining Nascar...well...I might just spit my last tooph out and have me a World Class meltdown like Animal Mother did.

SoonerPr8r
9/8/2009, 07:00 AM
The pretentiousness in this thread is palpable.

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 09:46 AM
Maybe it's not pretentiousness. Maybe I'm stricken with Imposter Syndrome. Don't judge me. :D

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 09:49 AM
Actually, I'm a firm believer in depressive realism, and while it may seem that I have an inflated opinion of myself, the opposite is quite true. High self-efficacy? Yes. High self-esteem? Eh. But, that's just my analysis...

the_ouskull

1890MilesToNorman
9/8/2009, 09:51 AM
Hey, me smart too!

Notice I used the correct amount of o's in too? What I win?

Collier11
9/8/2009, 10:00 AM
I red check mark

1890MilesToNorman
9/8/2009, 10:02 AM
I was hoping fer a Crimson star! Damn

jkjsooner
9/8/2009, 10:14 AM
There is absolutely no excuse for what happened on the 4th down play the other night; with all the damn coaches on the sideline not one of them was paying enough attention to the play clock to call a time out? That is UNBELIEVABLE.

Can any coach call a timeout or is it just the head coach? I know coaches calling timeouts is fairly new and I doubt the officials can keep track of who all the coaches are.

Nevertheless, I doubt most coaches are authorized by the coaching staff to call timeouts. You don't want 10 guys with itchy triggers on the sidelines when the clock gets to 1 second...

I'm pretty sure managing the clock is also the QB's responsibility. Again, you can't have all 11 offensive players worrying about that.

As I see it, two people missed getting the timeout call and that was Stoops and Jones.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 10:23 AM
Bottom line was that the team was sloppy, poorly coached, they executed poorly, and the end result was we made a good team look great and they made us look average

jkjsooner
9/8/2009, 10:35 AM

the_ouskull

I agree with much of what you said. However, from my experience many of those (and I'm not talking about you) who criticize other's grammar or spelling are also quick to say that they're terrible in math. Among this group it is completely acceptable to be bad at math but they expect everyone to be proficient with the English language. It is very hypocritical.

We all have different abilities. In many cases those with strong logical reasoning skills sometimes have a hard time with language because it is less logical in mathematics with the various wierd rules and exceptions that make little logical sense.

One reason language is so illogical is because it is constantly changing and those changes are not always controlled by linguists. I would say much of what we consider proper today would be improper to those who spoke Old English and probably one reason language evolves is due to improper use and the changing nature of language shows that there has never been strict control over the use of language. (Given, that control has eroded significantly over the years.)

One thing I have to point out, though, is that many of the mistakes people point out on these boards are typing mistakes rather than grammar/spelling mistakes. I occasionally confuse "our" and "are" when typing (something I would never do if writing to typing very slowly) and if I don't proof my post I'll miss it. Does anyone actually ever confuse these two words? I would say very few people do. It's simply a disconnect between the brain translating phonetic sounds into physical motions in the fingers.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 10:51 AM
JackAss!!! ;)

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 12:29 PM
Before I start, great post, man. Seriously.

I agree with much of what you said. However, from my experience many of those (and I'm not talking about you) who criticize other's grammar or spelling are also quick to say that they're terrible in math.

I am numbered amongst the martyred here, but please note that the last math I had in high school was calc, and only the gen ed. required math at OU. I'm not exactly "bad at math."

Among this group it is completely acceptable to be bad at math but they expect everyone to be proficient with the English language. It is very hypocritical.

But, I admit to being in the minority. Many English teachers will say that they are bad at math, and many math and science teachers can't spell. Trust me, man. I don't like it one bit. It mortifies me. I think teachers should be paid much, much more than they are paid, but I also think that the standards to which they are held, professionally, not personally, should be at least doubled as well. General proficiency tests, as well as subject-specific tests, conducted by the school district, prior to hire. Teachers being tested. Who'd have thunk it?

We all have different abilities. In many cases those with strong logical reasoning skills sometimes have a hard time with language because it is less logical in mathematics with the various weird rules and exceptions that make little logical sense.

This is especially true with the English language, but it doesn't excuse many non-native speakers speaking/writing it more proficiently than many/most native speakers.

One reason language is so illogical is because it is constantly changing and those changes are not always controlled by linguists.

Education is a life-long process. The problem arises when, people that may or may not have been forced to learn anything in secondary school, but certainly did not learn HOW to learn, get passed by knowledge. Their knowledge is at a particular level, and then the general knowledge whizzes by them. (Example: Old people v. Internet - The Clast of the Titans) If you don't at least TRY to maintain your level of skill in a particular area, it makes complete sense that your ability in that area would wane. EVERYBODY communicates. Why has it gotten WORSE, and not better?

I would say much of what we consider proper today would be improper to those who spoke Old English

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sichuevos/HowWeDoIt.jpg

and probably one reason language evolves is due to improper use and the changing nature of language shows that there has never been strict control over the use of language. (Given, that control has eroded significantly over the years.)

Which returns us to the question of why? Why has there been less emphasis, not occasionally, but as a trend, placed on properly educating young people? Why have they gotten worse at communicating as opposed to better? It's dysgenics, man!

One thing I have to point out, though, is that many of the mistakes people point out on these boards are typing mistakes rather than grammar/spelling mistakes.

This is where I'll beg to differ a bit. Failing to punctuate, capitalize, etc... that's not a typo, it's a lazy-o.

I occasionally confuse "our" and "are" when typing (something I would never do if writing to typing very slowly) and if I don't proof my post I'll miss it. Does anyone actually ever confuse these two words? I would say very few people do.

You would be wrong, sir. I have received a NUMBER of papers the past few years with sentences like this: "So then they came over to are house and we left together." I understand what you're saying about typing. I type around (I haven't checked it in years) 100wpm. I f*ck-up occasionally too. But, I have enough respect for the language, for the people that may read what I write, and for myself, to go back and try to correct everything I see. I usually just go back over it once, but it makes me feel a lot better. It comes back to a respect for the language and to self-respect. If you care so little about yourself as to want to appear to be a moron to the educated, then I'd say that is a problem too, no?

It's simply a disconnect between the brain translating phonetic sounds into physical motions in the fingers.

[b]But, from that disconnect stems a social disconnect, which starts the chain of events into a cultural disconnect, and then a paradigm shift.

- Some "cool" idiot spells "goodbye" as "laterz." Social disconnect.
- Someone who, for even more vapid reasons, admires the "cool" idiot sees their "laterz," and also does it. So on, so forth.
- Soon, so many people are doing it, that those who don't do it almost feel like there's a joke they haven't been let in on. Social disconnect.
- Three distinct groups form. You do it. You don't do it, but don't say anything to the people who do. You don't do it, and you do say something to the people that do.
- The vote is 1-1-1. In most arguments, the louder party, in this case, the one stocked full of idiots, wins. The culture has shifted.
- Now, if you speak and write correctly, you are the one who is looked at as if you're weird. So, for doing some correctly, you are now punished while the idiots are rewarded, or at least not admonished, which is also considered a rewarding behavior in some training. Paradigm.

It's not like this is without a historical precedent, though...

- Someone thought the Jews were trying to gain world leadership. Social disconnect.
- They tell their friends about their "cool" idea.
- There is opposition to the idea.
- Gleichschaltung ensues. There is no more opposition to the idea. Cultural disconnect.
- Holocaust. Paradigm shift.

Is it an extreme example? Sure. It is out of the realm of possibility? Obviously not. If the nation continues to allow the little things to slide; things like grammar and punctuation, how long will it be before we see President Hulk Hogan, or Secretary of State Paris Hilton? Don't act like you don't see the little signs around you already. When you take away a society's ability to reason, you have taken away it's ability to remain free. I can't fathom the thought of growing old in a world where I'm bombarded by images of President Tim Tebow, and watching Britney Spears take over for Diane Sawyer, etc... I just can't.

the_ouskull

tommieharris91
9/8/2009, 01:06 PM
I agree with much of what you said. However, from my experience many of those (and I'm not talking about you) who criticize other's grammar or spelling are also quick to say that they're terrible in math. Among this group it is completely acceptable to be bad at math but they expect everyone to be proficient with the English language. It is very hypocritical.

We all have different abilities. In many cases those with strong logical reasoning skills sometimes have a hard time with language because it is less logical in mathematics with the various wierd rules and exceptions that make little logical sense.

One reason language is so illogical is because it is constantly changing and those changes are not always controlled by linguists. I would say much of what we consider proper today would be improper to those who spoke Old English and probably one reason language evolves is due to improper use and the changing nature of language shows that there has never been strict control over the use of language. (Given, that control has eroded significantly over the years.)

One thing I have to point out, though, is that many of the mistakes people point out on these boards are typing mistakes rather than grammar/spelling mistakes. I occasionally confuse "our" and "are" when typing (something I would never do if writing to typing very slowly) and if I don't proof my post I'll miss it. Does anyone actually ever confuse these two words? I would say very few people do. It's simply a disconnect between the brain translating phonetic sounds into physical motions in the fingers.

One of my HS English teachers couldn't spell or punctuate correctly. I proofread her worksheets. So yeah, I'm also for teachers being tested on the material they teach.

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 01:10 PM
I think there are definitely some posters here bad at meth.

jonnylingobyufan
9/8/2009, 01:13 PM
Speaking about bad coaching. Why did you all not throw the ball deep at all? Not even once? You have Heisman trophy winner going up a defense with a secondary that was absolutely horrible last year yet you just kept running the ball despite it not working?

jkjsooner
9/8/2009, 01:14 PM
I just wish our English teachers would teach our guys to pick up a delayed blitz. ;-)

CK Sooner
9/8/2009, 01:15 PM
Speaking about bad coaching. Why did you all not throw the ball deep at all? Not even once? You have Heisman trophy winner going up a defense with a secondary that was absolutely horrible last year yet you just kept running the ball despite it not working?

Ask our offensive coordinator. We have no idea.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 01:15 PM

we are too good to do anything other than running our base offensive plays, havent you learned anything

jkjsooner
9/8/2009, 01:20 PM

First, our coaches like to establish the run. That's the way they work.

Second, clearly our offensive line is horrible right now. A great QB can't hit the deep ball if the line breaks down before the play can develop.

Third, I'm sure they had plans to open the game up but we simply never got the opportunity. Between the o-line busts, the false start, and the holding penalties, our offense was never given a chance. Brett Favre couldn't move the ball under those circumstances.

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 01:22 PM

You were at the game. Do you not know a freaking thing about Football or are you "Princess Arm Candy" that Lott's Banadana was talking about?

You've posted on here quite a few times now.

It seems to me you here to rub sand in a wound.

Not very sportsmanlike IMO.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2695214&postcount=66

PhiDeltBeers
9/8/2009, 01:27 PM
First, our coaches like to establish the run. That's the way they work.

Second, clearly our offensive line is horrible right now. A great QB can't hit the deep ball if the line breaks down before the play can develop.

Third, I'm sure they had plans to open the game up but we simply never got the opportunity. Between the o-line busts, the false start, and the holding penalties, our offense was never given a chance. Brett Favre couldn't move the ball under those circumstances.

Pretty much this ^^^^

And when we didn't have penalties, the coaching staff would find a way to screw it up. I'm starting to wonder if maybe Stoops had money on this game. That's how bad it looked. And for those of you trying to sugar coat or justify why a timeout was not called, you're delusional. Everyone knows what excuses are like. There is NO excuse! Period. A first grade coach could have made that call. These guys get paid entirely too much for the "coaching" job they displayed the other night. Quite frankly. I want my money back. What's Joe's number?

PhiDeltBeers
9/8/2009, 01:34 PM
I should've stayed home and watched the Broken Arrow - Union game. I'm sure they didn't have 3 false starts in the first 4 plays.

Collier11
9/8/2009, 02:01 PM
Lets face it, no matter how Great Stoops is and he is a Great one, his teams have been soft since 04. From getting blown out by usc to losing to lesser teams in bowl games to not being able to score from the 2 yd line in the natl title game, to dropping passes to false starts and on and on, our teams have gotten soft and mentally weak.

Bash me all you want, ive consistently been a Stoops defender and a BV defender on down the line but this trend cant be avoided anymore

Im not saying Stoops has lost "the fire" but somewhere along the line it is missing with our coaches and players, there is no sense of urgency with this team, we play dumb and undisciplined

sooner94
9/8/2009, 02:02 PM
Can any coach call a timeout or is it just the head coach? I know coaches calling timeouts is fairly new and I doubt the officials can keep track of who all the coaches are.

Nevertheless, I doubt most coaches are authorized by the coaching staff to call timeouts. You don't want 10 guys with itchy triggers on the sidelines when the clock gets to 1 second...

I'm pretty sure managing the clock is also the QB's responsibility. Again, you can't have all 11 offensive players worrying about that.

As I see it, two people missed getting the timeout call and that was Stoops and Jones.

But Landry is looking at the clusterphuck of coaching signals coming from the sideline so he can't see the play clock. If our coaches are going to change plays in the last 10 seconds of the play clock, then they need to watch the play clock.

Gresho Murford
9/8/2009, 02:07 PM
When I saw the replay, it appeared jones was ready to go and clapp came up and said something to jones and thats when the time expired.

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 02:10 PM

Yes. (Stubborn, bull-headed coaching. Plain and simple.

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 02:10 PM
I just wish our English teachers would teach our guys to pick up a delayed blitz. ;-)

Yes. (Seriously!)

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 02:11 PM
Ask our offensive coordinator. We have no idea.

...aaaaaaaaand yes.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 03:23 PM
When I saw the replay, it appeared Jones was ready to go and clapp came up and said something to Jones and thats when the time expired.

At 0:09 left 0n the clock, Landry backed away from center. Clapp, Brown, James Hanna, Eric Mensik and Landry all looked to the sideline for a play. At 0:05 left...Clapp touches Landry on the shoulder as he's yelling the play change down the line. and at 0:02 left he's just getting back to center and as he reaches down to make the play...time runs out.

Again...this is where you have to be ready to have some plays ready to go in advance. At 0:24 seconds Trent Williams was just getting off the ground. That's 0:11 seconds after the clock started. At 0:15 Landry begins to call the play.

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 04:04 PM
If you go back to the play after the interference play by bYu in the EZ...the first and 10 play gets off at 0:11 secs and after the play has ended...it's 5 to 6 seconds before the 35 seconds clock starts. At 2nd and 10 Landry gets the ball off with 0:24 seconds on the clock. and it's around 8 seconds before the refs start the countdown. At 3rd and goal Landry gets the QB sneak off at 0:11 seconds and the countdown for 4th and goal starts 5 seconds after the play was called dead. My previous post states what happened on 4th down. If you can stop tape on your replay...you can see that as 4th down got there...they just didn't have the fire in the belly to get their asses up like they were going to punch the damn ball in on 4th down like a team of our caliber should be able to do. After Clayton's interception we only had the ball 2 minutes and 19 seconds in that series and the series before was a minute and 48 seconds. For guys, especially Williams a senior, to look tired or winded or just sit there on the ground after the play is incredible.

I'd say that the Coaches ought to at least Williams working out this week until he pukes everyday.

We have to have some fire back on offense and Seniors like him need to start acting like leaders...especially in the 4th quarter.

We used to own the 4th quarter. In this one...bYu did and they won.

On top of all of this...When Murray didn't make it in on 2nd and goal...why didn't we ask for a measurement? After Landry's sneak didn't get in..we should have called timeout right then. I think the Coaches will have to see they screwed that series up by hurrying an inexperienced QB. Again Trent Williams not getting off his *** didn't help either.

I know I'm micromanaging down all of this like a Monday morning QB but this was more than one little thing that made this series end in a FG IMO.

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 04:51 PM
For guys, especially Williams a senior, to look tired or winded or just sit there on the ground after the play is incredible

Jerry Jones thinks he's God. Is it possible that he built Jerry World in Heaven? The altitude could have had an effect on our players... :D

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
9/8/2009, 05:22 PM
Jerry Jones thinks he's God. Is it possible that he built Jerry World in Heaven? The altitude could have had an effect on our players... :D

the_ouskull

He does have Micheal Jackson's nose...maybe Jerry World isn't Heaven

the_ouskull
9/8/2009, 05:49 PM
StoopTroup, come dance with me in my wishing tree. We can drink Jesus Juice and tell stories by the campfire all night long.

Uh, I mean, are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

the_ouskull

A-M
9/8/2009, 07:45 PM
BTW...I just talked with Jerry Jones. He's having play clocks with flashing strobe lights and buzzers that go off with 5 seconds to go installed and he said to save him a piece of that chocolate pie.

And you are saying that some people aren't adding to this board and should get off of it. Is this really adding to the board? I'm sooooo glad that I read it, it really does make my day!:mad:

tulsaoilerfan
9/8/2009, 09:59 PM
So did anyone ever decide who screwed this damn thing up? I got lost about page 4

Barry Stoops
9/8/2009, 10:01 PM
Kevin Wilson is the name I keep hearing. Have we fired him yet?

Indy Sooner
9/8/2009, 10:47 PM
yup...being "distracted" is no excuse

Exactly. This was just one example of the "outcoached" portion of that game (the other portion being "outplayed").

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 10:55 PM
This could be a repeat because I haven't read all of this thread. Stoops claimed the refs didn't handle the reset of the play clock in the normal fashion. They didn't reset the clock even though the ball was spotted with less than 20 seconds remaining. He said it was still the coaches fault, but they didn't notice the situation. I accept that explanation, but I still think they should have called TO immediately. A 4th and goal with a 1st time QB deserved a conversation just to make sure there was no miscommunication.
Having said that, there is no guarantee we make it.

delhalew
9/8/2009, 10:59 PM
An excuse like that just serves to get me more pissed off.

stoopified
9/8/2009, 11:15 PM
FIW Bob said the coaches saw the timer signal a reset and the coaches thought they had 40 seconds.This statement was made on the replay show.

rainiersooner
9/9/2009, 01:51 AM

I've been out of oklahoma too long. What the hell is a landman?

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:52 AM
4qoymGCDYzU

Oh wait...you said LANDman...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landman_(oil_worker)

You'll notice W was once a landman, so the actual education and intellect may be questioned by some members! ;)

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:54 AM
According to my mom, who was a maid at a texass hotel where a bunch of traveling landmen used to stay when on location, they are great tippers.

StoopTroup
9/9/2009, 05:05 AM
This could be a repeat because I haven't read all of this thread. Stoops claimed the refs didn't handle the reset of the play clock in the normal fashion. They didn't reset the clock even though the ball was spotted with less than 20 seconds remaining. He said it was still the coaches fault, but they didn't notice the situation. I accept that explanation, but I still think they should have called TO immediately. A 4th and goal with a 1st time QB deserved a conversation just to make sure there was no miscommunication.
Having said that, there is no guarantee we make it.

After pouring over it on tape...all of us including Bob have the luxury of saying that now. In the heat of battle your going to make some mistakes. When it's as big as that one...it can almost be counted as a turnover. As Fans who wanted to see us put the bYu game behind us and head back to Norman to start our season...this leaves us with a really rough start on what was supposed to be a very different situation. Add these injuries to the mix and it's the making of a Fan meltdown. Is it a Team meltdown? Guess we'll see Saturday.

Gresho Murford
9/9/2009, 08:40 AM
They have changed the clock rules so many times in the last couple of years. What were they suppose to reset it to?

the_ouskull
9/9/2009, 08:57 AM
After pouring over it on tape...all of us including Bob have the luxury of saying that now. In the heat of battle your going to make some mistakes. When it's as big as that one...it can almost be counted as a turnover. As Fans who wanted to see us put the bYu game behind us and head back to Norman to start our season...this leaves us with a really rough start on what was supposed to be a very different situation. Add these injuries to the mix and it's the making of a Fan meltdown. Is it a Team meltdown? Guess we'll see Saturday.

A team of the fastest, strongest, most well-oiled players from SF.com would give Idaho State a run, man. I don't think that we're going to learn anything new about the Sooners this weekend. Do you?

the_ouskull

SoonerPr8r
9/9/2009, 09:25 AM
And you are saying that some people aren't adding to this board and should get off of it. Is this really adding to the board? I'm sooooo glad that I read it, it really does make my day!:mad:

Pot....Kettle....black

And back to the topic at hand. Mistakes were made. It is Wednesday lets move the eph on. Please?