PDA

View Full Version : My experience in Dallas....

PhiDeltBeers
9/7/2009, 05:25 PM
was bittersweet. I'd post some pics of the view from my seats, but I'm lazy. I was sitting on the 49-1/2 yardline, on the isle, behind OU in the 21st row of section 136. Simply amazing seats. On top of that, I could turn around and have a conversation with Capel or Switzer as they were in the suite directly behind me. Wow, what a stadium!!! Pictures do this place no justice. It is completely unbelievable. That's it for the sweetness.

I'm sure a lot of you are going to click the red button, but I've got to say that I'm utterly dissapointed in OUr coaching staff. I'm soo proud of us (the fans), and the numbers we turned out in Dallas. The I-35 traffic Friday night was insane. It took me 6 hours from Tulsa to get to Pappadeaux's. Everyone, had their flags flying on the vehicles. We've all waited 8 freaking months for this day in anticipation and excitment.

In every aspect of this game....we were not ready. 8 months. From the false starts (8 months), to the holds (8 months), to the defense not knowing how to line up (8 months)...to NOT CALLING A TIME OUT ON THE 4 INCH LINE!!!! 8 MONTHS!!!! People in the stands were calling for a time out! I really thought Landry did well, considering his circumstances. Bob, I love you and the coaches as much as anyone else on this board, but there is NO excuse for what we witnessed Saturday night. I feel bad for the money that everyone spent to make a weekend out of this. You had 8 months to prepare for this. I think it's gut check time.

As upset as I am (and many others are), I was sooo proud to see the OU faithful wearing their shirts on Sunday all over Dallas. I just got home and my flag is still in the window of my Lexus in the garage. All in all, great jobs fans...coaches...you have work to do.

EDIT I posted some pics here.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134298

Boomer!!!!!

MyT Oklahoma
9/7/2009, 05:41 PM
Sooner!

Thanks for sharing.

tfoolry
9/7/2009, 09:01 PM
My OU flag remained on display in front of my house Sunday & today. We're only one game into it. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!? NO!

OKLA21FAN
9/7/2009, 09:03 PM
My OU flag remained on display in front of my house Sunday & today. We're only one game into it. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!? NO!

pfffttttttt!!!!

drove in Desoto much of the day with my two OU car flags flying. life is still pretty good!:pop:

OU-HSV
9/7/2009, 09:12 PM
was bittersweet. I'd post some pics of the view from my seats, but I'm lazy. I was sitting on the 49-1/2 yardline, on the isle, behind OU in the 21st row of section 136. Simply amazing seats. On top of that, I could turn around and have a conversation with Capel or Switzer as they were in the suite directly behind me. Wow, what a stadium!!! Pictures do this place no justice. It is completely unbelievable. That's it for the sweetness.

I'm sure a lot of you are going to click the red button, but I've got to say that I'm utterly dissapointed in OUr coaching staff. I'm soo proud of us (the fans), and the numbers we turned out in Dallas. The I-35 traffic Friday night was insane. It took me 6 hours from Tulsa to get to Pappadeaux's. Everyone, had their flags flying on the vehicles. We've all waited 8 freaking months for this day in anticipation and excitment.

In every aspect of this game....we were not ready. 8 months. From the false starts (8 months), to the holds (8 months), to the defense not knowing how to line up (8 months)...to NOT CALLING A TIME OUT ON THE 4 INCH LINE!!!! 8 MONTHS!!!! People in the stands were calling for a time out! I really thought Landry did well, considering his circumstances. Bob, I love you and the coaches as much as anyone else on this board, but there is NO excuse for what we witnessed Saturday night. I feel bad for the money that everyone spent to make a weekend out of this. You had 8 months to prepare for this. I think it's gut check time.

As upset as I am (and many others are), I was sooo proud to see the OU faithful wearing their shirts on Sunday all over Dallas. I just got home and my flag is still in the window of my Lexus in the garage. All in all, great jobs fans...coaches...you have work to do.

Boomer!!!!!
Good post. When you get un-lazy upload your pics on here, we'd love to see them. :D

I wore OU gear when I went golfing yesterday and I wore it today. I don't give a sh*t what people think...I'm still a fan and always will be. I wear my gear after wins or after losses, just the same.

But I do agree with your total last two paragraphs...a whole lot of things that happened in that game seemed damn confusing as a football fan.

Hotrod3157
9/7/2009, 09:23 PM

Got OU gear on as Im replying to this so not going anywhere as a fan.........

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??? ;)

okiewaker
9/7/2009, 09:28 PM
...was fun despite the loss and getting pebbles in my whataburger. I will proudly sport my crimson and cream.

bluedogok
9/7/2009, 09:31 PM
There were a bunch of people sporting OU gear at Stonebriar Mall on Sunday.

cmbj
9/7/2009, 10:33 PM
I rarely post, but just had to respond because we were not in the lower seats but in the 400s. AWFUL is the only word I can use to describe the stadium and the experience. It was like watching the game in a gigantic sports bar in front of the world's biggest TV. The players were nothing larger than ants from the 400 sections. Accoustics awful. The only positive I got from that stadium was a great desire to go to a high school football game to relish in what its like to watch the sport in live action.

Sooner FLiP
9/7/2009, 10:47 PM
i didnt get to go to the game but the fiance and i went down to dallas on Sunday. we drove down there with our flags up, Sooner shirts on, and OU caps. i was extremely proud to see all the OU flags flying. we went to one of the malls and there were several people with OU shirts. im proud of the Sooner Nation!

sooner94
9/7/2009, 11:10 PM
I was in section 423 and the acoustics were bad. I could not understand what the refs where saying on pentalty calls. Fortunately almost all of them were on our O-line so it did not matter that I could not hear.

And the 400 level is too far from the field. If I go to that stadium again (hopefully for the Big 12 Champ game), I will sit in the 300's or lower.

And yes, our coaching staff stunk up the joint.

OUAlumni1990
9/7/2009, 11:16 PM
I couldn't even hear the band, or the refs. Your right, the acoustics sucked. The rest of the stadium was nice though.

setem
9/7/2009, 11:27 PM
I am glad to see there are fans still on board! Besides everything about the game...I had a awesome time in Arlington! Friday the boys and I hung out in Plano and boy howdy is that place crazy! We got juiced that night and got up early Saturday and had a great breakfast. Went beer shopping and headed to the game about 12:30 and hung out till game time.

I stopped by my brother in law's TG and had a sausage and that is where my bad time started. Something in that sausage opened Pandora's box! At first I thought I had to fart so I tried and then it dawned on me that it might be poop so I had to test the waters. It felt like poop so I held it in because those Porta ****ters looked nasty. So no beers, no food, no nothing till I got in the stadium. I went to the ****ter and it was nice and clean. I hate ****ting away from home but desperate times call for desperate measures! So I got me a program and set up shop. I got a good dump in and went on my way. So one might think everything was going to be better. Nope! We had standing room tickets and we found the only ******* in the joint who had to stand when everyone else was sitting. So having to look around this guy was not fun but it was ok! Moving on, we score our TD and my friend jumps up and down and accidentally steps on this guys foot behind him and the guys slugs him in the back slamming him into the railing. Turn around and it is an old Indian man with a cane so who can get mad at that. Then we find the only ******* BYU fan. This guy was giving some poor pregnant woman the business. He used the F-word and said **** like 5 times. I walked up to him and shook his hand and told him we was a wonderful representative of what BYU stands for. Needless to say he had nothing to respond with and the people he was ****ing with all clapped and he went away. So I am sober and the agony of losing Sam was terrible. Then we lose and I felt like complete ****. We went back to Plano and no one felt like doing anything fun. So we played a drinking game and went to bed. Had a awesome breakfast at Corner Bakery! I hope OK get some of those because it was great. Went back hung out and then my buddy and I headed back to OKC. We stopped and loaded on beer the rest is history!

Highlights: BREAKFAST! Plano on Friday night and a decent dump at the game.

I will be post my 2 cents on the game when I can. I don't know how to word how I feel yet. I am not jumping ship at all just so you know. I love the Sooners just as much as I did before this game. I just don't know where our team went. We have everything to play for and I am stoked it is football season. Losses happen we just have to pick up and move on!

SPREAD IT ON and BOOMER SOONER!

PhiDeltBeers
9/8/2009, 09:33 AM
I will say I'm a little dissapointed in the "rich" crowd. I'm the type of guy who stands the whole game and yells. The 50 yardline crowd like to sit and doesn't get very vocal. It seems they just like to show off their Rolex's and make sure everyone knows they have money. Give me some fans who like to get crazy! Can't wait to get back to Norman in my crazy sports alum section.

ouleaf
9/9/2009, 10:18 AM
I will say I'm a little dissapointed in the "rich" crowd. I'm the type of guy who stands the whole game and yells. The 50 yardline crowd like to sit and doesn't get very vocal. It seems they just like to show off their Rolex's and make sure everyone knows they have money. Give me some fans who like to get crazy! Can't wait to get back to Norman in my crazy sports alum section.

Couldn't agree with you more here. I was lucky enough to have my boss, offer me one of his extra tickets, that were in the lower bowl (about the 20 yd line and 6 rows up.) I was so dissappointed at all the the fans who sat down the whole freaking game and then tried to "speak under their breath" to get me to sit down. I felt really bad b/c there was a cute girl with her tool of a boyfriend who was on his stupid iPhone the whole game and barely paying attention to the game.

The two older gentlemen behind me "joked' that if I had sat down at all OU would have won the game. I was really pissed off at this point both at them for being idiots and us losing the game in that fashion. I told them with what voice I had left, "We stand up in Norman!" They just kind of scoffed at that remark and I told them to stand up too, or shut up and watch the ridiculously large screen

Knippz
9/9/2009, 12:29 PM
I did the $25 spirit passes for the standing room, and the view was pretty damn good, especially for the price! I had to stand the whole time, which isn't any different from any other game I've been to. Standing room was on the top of the 1st level, and was behind the BYU endzone. At no point could I not see the numbers on the jerseys.

DakotaSooner
9/9/2009, 01:06 PM
I watched the game from home and it sucked (the game that is)....

ouleaf
9/9/2009, 01:28 PM
I did the $25 spirit passes for the standing room, and the view was pretty damn good, especially for the price! I had to stand the whole time, which isn't any different from any other game I've been to. Standing room was on the top of the 1st level, and was behind the BYU endzone. At no point could I not see the numbers on the jerseys.

Those were originally the tickets I had as well, but I got lucky and my boss had a buddy backout last second and asked if I wanted to go. It was a $150 ticket for free. In those seats I could actually watch the game and not the screen the whole time.

Also, they definitely have to work out some kinks before the Cowboys start playing in that stadium. The sound was terrible for one. I couldn't hear a thing when they were playing our video. Also, no stats displayed anywhere, not even on the ribbon display boards that go around the stadium. Just a crappy down, distance, and time in the corners was all we knew. I didn't even know how many timeouts teams had.

The stadium itself is an awesome site. But there are just somethings that need to be improved to improve the fan experience.

PhiDeltBeers
9/9/2009, 04:22 PM
Those were originally the tickets I had as well, but I got lucky and my boss had a buddy backout last second and asked if I wanted to go. It was a $150 ticket for free. In those seats I could actually watch the game and not the screen the whole time.

Also, they definitely have to work out some kinks before the Cowboys start playing in that stadium. The sound was terrible for one. I couldn't hear a thing when they were playing our video. Also, no stats displayed anywhere, not even on the ribbon display boards that go around the stadium. Just a crappy down, distance, and time in the corners was all we knew. I didn't even know how many timeouts teams had.

The stadium itself is an awesome site. But there are just somethings that need to be improved to improve the fan experience.

I agree....no scoreboard!!! They showed the stats at the end of the quarter. We still thought we had a timeout left when BYU was taking a knee. I like how English came in and hit Hall. If you're gonna take a knee...take a freakin knee...or get rocked.

madillsoonerfan5353
9/9/2009, 04:26 PM
The only problem I had was that I couldn't hear the Intro Video! :mad:
The View from OUr goal line was great!!!

yukonsooner
9/9/2009, 04:49 PM
My experience started out horrible. Holiday Inn Express cancelled my reservations that I had made in January. They stated my cc was bad, but if I could show them the card ending in 9595 they would honor my original rate $114 per night, but other wise it would be $299 a night. Needless to say I went off. The cc they had was my number except for the last 4 digits, since they read the # back to me when I made it and it was correct, I can only think the hotel changed it so they could make more $. Did I mention I got thrown out of the hotel because I was upset. That should have given me an idea how the rest of the weekend would go. But I wore my Sooner gear with pride all weekend.

Soonerfan88
9/10/2009, 01:15 AM
I was in the 300 level and could see the field reasonably well. However, sound was awful and the screen was still a big distraction. And for that much money, I thought Jerry could have made the screen a little smaller and used better quality materials for his seats. In addition, lack of room between the rows was pretty bad, not only for those with long legs but others having to squeeze by you.

I also had a bad start to the weekend and should have seen it coming - we all overslept and almost missed our flight to Dallas. Then they didn't have any rental cars even though the office was full of folks with reservations. Had to wait for them to be driven over from DFW airport. This made me late to my hotel and they gave away our trolley passes so we had to pay to park. I don't think I'll be going back for the CCG. :(

beer4me
9/10/2009, 05:32 AM
I agree....no scoreboard!!! They showed the stats at the end of the quarter. We still thought we had a timeout left when BYU was taking a knee. I like how English came in and hit Hall. If you're gonna take a knee...take a freakin knee...or get rocked.

This pizzed me off more than anything. Also they did not show scores from other games.

They also did not show down and distance until just before the play started.

PhiDeltBeers
9/11/2009, 10:17 PM
So I got unlazy and posted some pics here:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134298