PDA

View Full Version : Now that we have seen the cards OU has been dealt....

soonervegas
9/7/2009, 02:36 PM
What do you consider a successful 2009 campaign?

I say a 10 win season would be a great success with next years QB getting good experience.

BoomerSooner, esq.
9/7/2009, 02:40 PM
Agreed. Im not foreclosing the thought of a BCS game either. Depending on what happens on Oct. 17 and whether or not the Aggies can handle business at home against Texas, we may sneak in.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 02:42 PM
For us anything less than Big 12 Champs is Fail.

Hotrod3157
9/7/2009, 02:44 PM
I'll have to wait and see how much we improve the next couple of weeks before I can make a prediction.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 03:04 PM
Right now I'd take 10 wins and call it good. If we win more than that hooray for us.

spatton713
9/9/2009, 06:49 PM

agreed we need to get 4 in a row be hard for anyone to ever top that

BoulderSooner79
9/9/2009, 06:56 PM
The problem is, the cards are still being dealt. I'd say we hit our limit on critical injuries, but I can't find it stated anywhere that a limit exists. I think I'll just watch the games and cheer the wins and curse the losses. I'll judge success in retrospect.

oudivesherpa
9/9/2009, 07:14 PM
From what I saw Saturday night, the offense has a lot of work to get back to last years level. The defense seems better than last season. Considering the injuries, ten wins and a BCS game would be a super accomplishment.

StoopTroup
9/9/2009, 07:23 PM
Four losses would match Bob's the worst year 2005. (excluding Bob's first year...which was 7-5.

With recruiting being the way it is for our Coaches...4 losses would be pretty disappointing IMO. 3 isn't much better considering our expectations for this year. I can live with two as long as they aren't texas and aggie. Hell aggie at all. I've already heard how they are going to kick our *** from some supposed OU fans. I think they were just those folks that talk about OU when they are on top and then suddenly look in the paper to see who's doing good and then they go to the mall and get a new hat.

Not losing again would be unreal after seeing what transpired last Saturday and I think there would be a lot of bumped Stoops, Wilson and Venables posts and threads come December.

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 07:39 PM
10 wins and hopefully a BCS bowl. Even better would be a total collapse of top ranked teams to push us higher.

Intown
9/9/2009, 07:56 PM
As long as I see competitive play, legitimate opportunity to win each game, and leaving it all on the field; it will be a great season with a respectable bowl.

If most of the games are riddled with mental mistakes, sloppy play, and short-sighted game plans; it will be a disapointing season.

josh09
9/9/2009, 08:18 PM
What do you consider a successful 2009 campaign?

I say a 10 win season would be a great success with next years QB getting good experience.

This could be a 2006-like season. But yea, I'd be happy with 10 wins. Oh, and a BCS win would be nice.

StoopTroup
9/9/2009, 08:30 PM
As long as I see competitive play, legitimate opportunity to win each game, and leaving it all on the field; it will be a great season with a respectable bowl.

If most of the games are riddled with mental mistakes, sloppy play, and short-sighted game plans; it will be a disapointing season.

Kind of unreasonable though don't you think?

What if you see games riddled with mental mistakes, sloppy play, and short-sighted game plans and there is still a legitimate opportunity to win each game? What if we won every stinking one of the games on a freak last second fumble in the back field with a running back picking up the fumble and running across the goal line for the winning score? :D :pop:

What if all that happened and Bob was holding up another one of these?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1120/ncf_a_stoops_200.jpg

JLEW1818
9/9/2009, 08:33 PM
good thing is, we still can win the big 12 championship

you never know what might happen

look what happened to us

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 08:34 PM
From what I saw Saturday night, the offense has a lot of work to get back to last years level. The defense seems better than last season. Considering the injuries, ten wins and a BCS game would be a super accomplishment.

No way the offense matches last year's level even if Sam had stayed healthy; too many important players have moved on

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 08:35 PM
Kind of unreasonable though don't you think?

What if you see games riddled with mental mistakes, sloppy play, and short-sighted game plans and there is still a legitimate opportunity to win each game? What if we won every stinking one of the games on a freak last second fumble in the back field with a running back picking up the fumble and running across the goal line for the winning score? :D :pop:

I will take a sloppy win over a pretty loss any day of the week. :D

OUEarl
9/9/2009, 09:03 PM
I really gotta believe we can shake the stupid mistakes from the opener and the offensive line can improve. If those two things happen and Jones can get us through the non-con, then I think Bradford can step up and help this team run the table in conference........but maybe I'm just drinkin the kool aid.....

Boomer Sooner!

Curly Bill
9/9/2009, 09:06 PM
I really gotta believe we can shake the stupid mistakes from the opener and the offensive line can improve. If those two things happen and Jones can get us through the non-con, then I think Bradford can step up and help this team run the table in conference........but maybe I'm just drinkin the kool aid.....

Boomer Sooner!

You are drinking the Kool Aid...

...but the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem. :P

SouthCarolinaSooner
9/9/2009, 09:07 PM
Honestly, we could go 1-11 and beat Texas and I'd be happy...well maybe not happy but you get the point...

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 09:12 PM
I'm greedy. I want it all!

olevetonahill
9/9/2009, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=soonervegas;2695193]What do you consider a successful 2009 campaign?

Im just gonna shoot the mother****ing Dealer ;)

Curly Bill
9/9/2009, 09:13 PM

You'll get what you get and like it!

..wait, er...what are we talking about? :confused:

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 09:26 PM
heh...

Denton_Sooner
9/9/2009, 10:00 PM
1. No home losses

2. Solid Bowl victory

3. Top 10 recruiting class

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 10:45 PM
I would settle for a BCS win to get the talking heads to shut the **** up

JLEW1818
9/9/2009, 10:46 PM
1. No home losses

2. Solid Bowl victory

3. Top 10 recruiting class

I'm very confident we will get those

OUAlumni1990
9/9/2009, 11:03 PM
I'd like to rematch either USC or LSU (and win). Kicking Notre Dame Around in a bowl game would be fun too.

MyT Oklahoma
9/9/2009, 11:07 PM
We need a respectable season and a bowl win. If we don't win a bowl game this will be the first group of Seniors in I don't know how long that never won a bowl game. :(

starclassic tama
9/9/2009, 11:34 PM
13-1

westcoast_sooner
9/9/2009, 11:46 PM
So far, the lead-up to the opener, and the game itself, started reminding me of 2005 last week. I was thinking about how the team has to feel, with such high expectations going into the season, and now, things seemingly all evaporated in the blink of an eye.

But I don't think all is lost.

First, the schedule over the next two games isn't horrible and we should be able to get 'W's in both.

Second, we've seen in the past how a poor outing can be turned around quickly by Stoops coached teams - see last year. After TCU, our running game was really good.

Third, unlike 2005, at this point, Sam should be back in a few weeks. In 05, we had a rookie that grew up, he was still immature in the bowl game. We have a returning Heisman winner who should be able to provide leadership until he can play, and with his arm after he returns.

Fourth, our defense is STILL pretty doggone good. Much better than in 2005, and good enough to keep us in any game, including Miami, Texas and Nebraska.

Look, I don't think the coaches are immune from criticism, but they have shown the ability to win a lot of football games. Overall, I think the next two games will really tell which way the season will end up.

ouwasp
9/9/2009, 11:50 PM
Oh to beat texas...

But if OU can shove that SI cover up Pistol Pete's *** I'll be happy...

In other words, don't lose again.

SONofa47straitSOONER
9/10/2009, 12:08 AM

ME TOO! But I'd call that 'competitive' more than 'greedy'.

Crucifax Autumn
9/10/2009, 12:45 AM
That does have a more positive sound to it!

Okie35
9/10/2009, 01:01 AM

:cool: agreed. I don't know why ppl are ready to hit the panic button. Sure ppl are injured it happens in sports. That's why there's a depth chart and last I recall our recruiting and depth wasn't too bad. ONE GAME has been played.

DakotaSooner
9/10/2009, 08:26 AM
9 wins would be a good year with our tough schedule, unless Landry gets things figured out, tulsa will be a competetive game......

Hot Rod
9/10/2009, 08:39 AM
I would settle for a BCS win to get the talking heads to shut the **** up

I would absolutely love that as well!

However, I'll be happy with a bowl win, regardless of a Big 12 Championship. I'd love that 4th in a row, but without one this year, doesn't mean we still haven't dominated this conference since it's existence.

Jacie
9/10/2009, 09:49 AM
To think, we had such high hopes till last week.

Now what I want versus what I am afraid is going to happen are two different things.

First, the Sooners will destroy an overmatched and not very good even by their standards Idaho State team and all at once, everyone is going to go all feel good about a team that is facing some serious problems.

Everyone thinking Oklahoma is going to win at least 10 games is due for a serious dose of reality and probably before Oct. 17.

I hope we do better than 3-9, which is all the team that played the second half last week can aspire to.

Sam Bradford didn't just suffer a game-ending injury, his throwing arm got hurt. He isn't going to walk back on the field throwing 30 yard zingers in a week or two, at least not if the coaching staff cares at all about his health and future career. He will heal enough to take the field but he isn't going to be in mid-season form and hey, the teams on the schedule will be and they might even be kinda good.

Oh wait, we have a great, if inexperienced, backup quarterback.

Regardless who is lining up behind the center, someone needs to block the left side and the rest of the O-line needs to stop putting the offense into 5, 10 and 15 yards to go situations every other down. Until those two problems are addressed, playing quarterback for OU will be a ticket to a short career.

Some of you are thinking it doesn't matter who plays at quarterback, that Oklahoma can win without the spread offense since there are two thousand-yard rushers in the backfield. Well, if yardage was the stat that determined the winner we'd be set. Unfortunately, OUr offense seems to have trouble scoring from less than 20 yards out. The kiss of death is a first and goal. Might as well line up for a field goal on first down to lessen the chances of a fumble or INT.

Maybe OUr defense will pick up the slack and score or at least get the ball in scoring position, which isn't asking too much since the coaching staff isn't above attempting field goals of 50+ yards now.

There is some good news. The longest return against the OU special teams last week was for only 22 yards.

If Oklahoma is going to do better than 3-9, the coaching staff and team have to step up, ratchet things up big time. They didn't do it last week and until it happens against a team other than a Division II opponent, there is nothing to suggest that it will anytime soon.

None of this is what anyone wants hear and I hope I am wrong, really, really wrong. I just know what I have seen so far for 2009 and it ain't good.

BoulderSooner79
9/10/2009, 10:43 AM
3-9 ? That's a really bad team. I say 4-8, no problem.

I say you're right about Sam - I'll count on his return when it is official. There is a lot of leeway in 2-4 weeks and they could be wrong about that. After that, there is the issue of him getting in sync with teammates that he has played with for 1/2 of a game. And a poor 1/2 at that. Timing just doesn't look good for the RRS.

soonermix
9/10/2009, 11:33 AM
after seeing our performance against byu i no longer expect a bcs win but i do expect a bowl win any bowl will do

kustang619
9/10/2009, 11:56 AM
Stoops has said that the University of Oklahoma is about championships...Therefore, success will be measured with a 4th straight Big 12 championship...I wouldn't mind to see a BCS game victory either...