PDA

View Full Version : **Todd Blackledge was right?!!**

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 12:38 PM
Two series before the infamous 4th and 1, he said that Oklahoma hurts themselves in short yardage situations with the no-huddle checkoffs.

Paraphrase:

"The O-line are in their stance far too long and with 1 yard or so to gain, they should go up to the line, fire off and push the D back. Instead, they are frozen there in a 3-pt stance and lose their momentum and flow in the short run."Ten minutes later we can't gain a yard and literally lose the game. Gave him another opportunity to prove his point, and he took it, rightly so...

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 12:41 PM
Why are we bothering to look over at the sideling during that time anyway? Short yardage you can almost book what defense they're going to be in. Call your play, get up to the line and run it.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 12:45 PM
It's been bugging me too. Sam really was more patient than I last year as I know I screamed more than once to "HIKE THE DAMN BALL ! ! !".

Just seems that there are times the opposition isn't ready and we give them way to much time. If we'd call two plays and just line up on the 2nd like we were gonna do business as usual...I think we'd blow Murray or Brown into their backfield before they knew what hit em.

They don't have to do it all the time...just when the D seems to be using it to set up with the extra time.

soonerfan3778
9/7/2009, 12:46 PM
i agree! if it weren't for the stupid f-ing checkoffs i think we would've won the game! not to mention if i remeber correctly we did it last year in the title game. hmm maybe that's something to take into consideration...

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 12:47 PM
What was it one poster called it yesterday: the Meerkat Offense.

That was funny. :D

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 12:52 PM
''Meercat" could be a much more legendary moniker than "The Wildcat" IMO.

Greatness.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 12:54 PM
Let me give credit where it is due. OUmillenium coined the term.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134065&highlight=meerkat

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 12:57 PM
Meerkat!

That is classic.

jduggle
9/7/2009, 01:17 PM
Looks to me like our coaches didn't learn anything from the Florida loss. I really saw nothing new in the offense or the defense. Certainly the hurry up was shown to be ineffective last year. Didn't the Florida loss prove that?Florida had the best defense we faced last year. This year, they returned nearly everyone from that defense and will be even tougher. If what we did last year didn't work with our outstanding offensive line, it surely isn't going to work this year with an entirely new offensive line.

Our coaches amaze me sometimes. I don't know about you guys, but when I heard Eldridge was being moved to center I didn't think that was a positive update. Then Gresham went down. Gresham's loss is really big because he is an outstanding blocker and another reason for last year's rushing success because of his part of the rushing attack as a blocker. Not only did we not have the experienced backup at TE as a result of Gresh's injury, we ended up with inexperience at center. Wouldn't that mean we might want to keep our eyes on how they protect the QB in the first game??? How many times was Bradford going to get pressured or sacked before they made an adjustment?

TahoeSOONER
9/7/2009, 01:18 PM
Meercat is hillarious! The goalline is no place for the meercat offense when we need to line them up and power it in.

TahoeSOONER
9/7/2009, 01:20 PM
. Certainly the hurry up was shown to be ineffective last year. Didn't the Florida loss prove that?

C'mon man! The hurry up scored a record amount of points and if anything we got away from the hurry up in the Nat'l title game. If anything, we need to line them up and pound the ball in at the goalline faster.

jduggle
9/7/2009, 01:25 PM
Sure... the hurry up scored a record amount points but lost to Texas and Florida. It is disruptive to an offense's timing and gives a good defense a change to tweak their alignment and thus their leverage before the snap.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 01:27 PM
I currently carry an unhealthy level of animosity for coaching staff, and this one reason. Yes, Todd was right, and its as clear as the nose on our face.

Our coaching staff just made our boys look bad, and I'm pissed about it.

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2009, 01:30 PM
I currently carry an unhealthy level of animosity for coaching staff, and this one reason. Yes, Todd was right, and its as clear as the nose on our face.

Our coaching staff just made our boys look bad, and I'm pissed about it.

I agree, Kevin Wilson even said if the no huddle isnt working we would huddle up, i guess he lied.

Curly Bill
9/7/2009, 01:32 PM
I think during the course of a game Kevin Wilson forgets most everything it takes to be a good football coach.

...clock management for instance. The fact we have a Heisman winning QB for another.

SoonerLB
9/7/2009, 02:50 PM
With Wilson calling plays, it seems more like the 'hurry up and wait' offense. Meerkat works though, they have that similar blank stare. :(
What infuriates me is wasting all that time waiting on the play call, then having no time to even think about what they need to do. If the play calling were more efficient, there might less panic to get the play off, and fewer mistakes made.

spatton713
9/9/2009, 05:54 PM
i think they should take a page out USC's offense seems like they would never have any issue getting a play in or getting a yard

unbiasedtruth
9/9/2009, 07:38 PM
i think they should take a page out USC's offense seems like they would never have any issue getting a play in or getting a yard

tell that to pete and lyndel after the 2005 MNC game......

Lott's Bandana
9/9/2009, 07:50 PM
tell that to pete and lyndel after the 2005 MNC game......

I was hoping he was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

tulsaoilerfan
9/9/2009, 08:30 PM
I think during the course of a game Kevin Wilson forgets most everything it takes to be a good football coach.

...clock management for instance. The fact we have a Heisman winning QB for another.

I agree Bill, and especially against good teams; how many times are we going to see this happen before Bob realizes it?

IronSooner
9/9/2009, 09:53 PM
What we run is not a hurry-up offense. It's just a no-huddle. There's nothing hurried about it.

What gets me is that when we go on 2 and the DL jumps, we still don't hike the ball. Heupel et al used to do that all the time in 99-00 and we got a ton of big plays out of it. It's a free play, take a shot. Don't just sit there, continue with the audible, and let the guy get back into his stance. Ugh.

Change up the rhythm, go on 1, 2, look over for the play, don't look over for the play, keep the D on its toes. That's the point. I'm afraid we're missing that right now.