PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Reynolds

Jboozer
9/7/2009, 11:26 AM
Looked a little slower the other night, thats what so many knee surgeries do to ya, but he looked like our missing leader from last season, was always in good position, and really dominated. I love it when your two best def. players play like it. He and gerald really were just blowing up BYU. I was so happy to see him play, and play well again. Good luck RR and don't get HURT!

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:28 AM
He has only been cleared to practice for a few weeks. He should get faster as the season goes on.

Hotrod3157
9/7/2009, 11:29 AM
Yep it was good to see him on the field again. He is a run stuffing linebacker for sure. The surgeries have hurt him some on pass coverage ability but he still did a decent job.

Jboozer
9/7/2009, 11:30 AM
I expect so.. I met him just last year after his injury, and he was thinking about quitting. I was so excited not only to see him play, but to play well and look like the BA he was recruited to be.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 11:31 AM
He has only been cleared to practice for a few weeks. He should get faster as the season goes on.Hope so but three knee injuries limit how much he will improve.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:31 AM
Yep it was good to see him on the field again. He is a run stuffing linebacker for sure. The surgeries have hurt him some on pass coverage ability but he still did a decent job.

I have to disagree with this because I only noticed him get beat a couple times and he was in perfect position for the interception, but again it has been a long time since he played football and needs to shake the rust off.

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 11:32 AM
he did look a little slow.. you could definitely tell he has bad knees.

played his heart out.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 11:34 AM
Ryan has the heart of a lion IMO.

That's going to serve him well this year.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:35 AM
Let's just say I would rather have him than any other MLB in the country.

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 11:35 AM
You mean it was his knees? I thought he had 2 much mud on his shoes.
Seriously though, he played very well for what looks like a speed handicap because of his knees. :(

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 11:37 AM

Uh, no.

Without his knee surgeries YES! Even with his great leadership qualities there are many more LB's out there that are more capable IMHO.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:41 AM
Uh, no.

Without his knee surgeries YES! Even with his great leadership qualities there are many more LB's out there that are more capable IMHO.

LOL, funny how you count him out just because he had knee surgery. He had 10 tackles against BYU and from what I saw he was in position almost every play and he also had an interception. Maybe you should give him a chance...

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 11:53 AM
LOL, funny how you count him out just because he had knee surgery. He had 10 tackles against BYU and from what I saw he was in position almost every play and he also had an interception. Maybe you should give him a chance...

I never said he did poorly last game. I was refering to his apparent lack of speed. He has exceptional fb skills and can anticipate well - that is why he continues to play as well as he does. But you have to ask yourself, can he cover Shipley across the middle or in the flat? Also, wasn't it likely that Wort would have started or at least shared much of the time at MLB?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him perform at an All-B12/American Level this season. I just don't see it happening as the games get tougher.

A-M
9/7/2009, 11:54 AM
Uh, no.

Oh budbarrybob, you really should not have disagreed with CK. Her doesn't like it and he's really good at coloring with that red stuff under your name! He reminds me of my 8 year granddaughter who loves to color, only she knows how to use more then one color.:D :D :D

Jello Biafra
9/7/2009, 11:56 AM
mccoy and reynolds combined for 15 tackles and 5 for loss...very nice tandem...

over all, the d played good. i know, i know, we gave up 350+ yards but they scored 14 points and we hit them for 10 TFL...

we played sloppy 12 penalties and several turnovers. its like we were playing wishbone er something

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:56 AM
I never said he did poorly last game. I was refering to his apparent lack of speed. He has exceptional fb skills and can anticipate well - that is why he continues to play as well as he does. But you have to ask yourself, can he cover Shipley across the middle or in the flat? Also, wasn't it likely that Wort would have started or at least shared much of the time at MLB?

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him perform at an All-B12/American Level this season. I just don't see it happening as the games get tougher.

I agree with what your saying. He did look pretty fast when he tried to take the interception back. It is up in the air though.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:57 AM
Oh budbarrybob, you really should not have disagreed with CK. Her doesn't like it and he's really good at coloring with that red stuff under your name! He reminds me of my 8 year granddaughter who loves to color, only she knows how to use more then one color.:D :D :D

You sure add a lot to the board. For your last few posts all you have been doing is crying. Get over it.

Sooner04
9/7/2009, 11:58 AM
The man was built to me a run-pounding 5-2 stud in the '80s. His coverage issues will be exploited by every team we play this season.

He's gone through a ton of adversity, but we're in the business of winning games. I'd love for him to play every snap, but I'm afraid he's a liability.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 12:00 PM
The man was built to me a run-pounding 5-2 stud in the '80s. His coverage issues will be exploited by every team we play this season.

He's gone through a ton of adversity, but we're in the business of winning games. I'd love for him to play every snap, but I'm afraid he's a liability.

We were putting Jonathan Nelson (another db) out on the field on third down, but it didn't help. He got burned a couple of times.

:O

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 12:04 PM
There was a play that went to the outside that got past RR. He chased until he was blocked in the back, missing the tackle. He turned and continued to chase, eventually pulling down the runner with a horse-collar (!) tackle at the 5 yard line, by himself.

Career highlight footage.

Ryan Reynolds = Man

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 12:05 PM
There was a play that went to the outside that got past RR. He chased until he was blocked in the back, missing the tackle. He turned and continued to chase, eventually pulling down the runner with a horse-collar (!) tackle at the 5 yard line, by himself.

Ryan Reynolds = Man

Was it the running back?

Hotrod3157
9/7/2009, 12:51 PM
Can't remember if it was a running back or not. It was the play the coverage got mixed up over the middle and the guy was running all by himself on a crossing pattern. Could have been a back out of the back field or a receiver. Reynolds didn't give up and got him from behind after another defender slowed the guy down.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 01:07 PM
It was 3rd and one with bYu at the bYu 45, 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, and they throw a pass to one of their backs who moves out from the backfield between the wideout and the TE...

They get him the ball about five yards down field between Ryan and Dom. Dom and Carter both fail to wrap him up and Ryan pursues the guy. He gets a shove from a bYu player but remains in pursuit. Brian Jackson has a shot at stopping the bYu back but the guy gets on by. Ryan drags him down at the five.

bYu goes on to score their 1st TD...but it's that kind of play and pursuit that I think shows that Ryan is not only back...he's a leader and will keep offenses struggling the rest of the way this year.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 01:08 PM
It was 3rd and one with bYu at the bYu 45, 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, and they throw a pass to one of their backs who moves out from the backfield between the wideout and the TE...

They get him the ball about five yards down field between Ryan and Dom. Dom and Carter both fail to wrap him up and Ryan pursues the guy. He gets a shove from a bYu player but remains in pursuit. Brian Jackson has a shot at stopping the bYu back but the guy gets on by. Ryan drags him down at the five.

bYu goes on to score their 1st TD...but it's that kind of play and pursuit that I think shows that Ryan is not only back...he's a leader and will keep offenses struggling the rest of the way this year.

If Ryan is as fast as their running back then we should be fine.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the details, G...

I was at the opposite end of the field and watched the entire RR pursuit. It was one of those moments for me like when I saw Jimbo Elrod make his first 4 step sack. Ryan is a Sooner, no doubt.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 01:22 PM
I support RR playing as much as is appropriate. As was mentioned earlier, that kind of heart is irreplaceable.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 01:37 PM
If Ryan is as fast as their running back then we should be fine.

I'm not sure that's the case but he's still a great player.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure that's the case but he's still a great player.

Shhh!

LawtonBoy74
9/7/2009, 03:43 PM
I thought he played great and looks like he's just a tad bit slower but he has good speed for the MLB position, he's definitely faster than Lance Mitchell who was an All Big 12 linebacker for us a few years back... I remeber seeing the INT Ryan got, if he would have cut across the field he would have scored no doubt

okiewaker
9/7/2009, 03:46 PM
I thought he played great and looks like he's just a tad bit slower but he has good speed for the MLB position, he's definitely faster than Lance Mitchell who was an All Big 12 linebacker for us a few years back... I remeber seeing the INT Ryan got, if he would have cut across the field he would have scored no doubt

Yeah, and Rocky wasn't real fast either but always seemed to be where the ball was.

A-M
9/7/2009, 03:52 PM
You sure add a lot to the board. For your last few posts all you have been doing is crying. Get over it.

I'm just giving you more reasons to post so you can rack up your count to the 10,000 point. You do tend to get a little angry at times. :confused: :confused: It's only a message board kid.

okiewaker
9/7/2009, 03:56 PM
I'm just giving you more reasons to post so you can rack up your count to the 10,000 point. You do tend to get a little angry at times. :confused: :confused: It's only a message board kid.

Why don't you send him private messages instead of hounding him all over the board? The topic was RR.

A-M
9/7/2009, 03:57 PM

Ryan Reynolds = Man

I was surprised he didn't get a flag on that tackle!

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 04:00 PM
I was surprised he didn't get a flag on that tackle!

*sigh* It Was Not A Horse-Collar Tackle.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 04:17 PM
*sigh* It Was Not A Horse-Collar Tackle.

*sigh*

Actually, from 270 degrees, it was exactly that.

He didn't get a flag because the official was on the right side, by the sidelines, and saw RR's right arm on the runner's hip and the rule requires another arm to be part of the tackle.

We got lucky because any other position where that arm isn't seen and a flag comes out. Ryan pulled him down with his jersey/pads.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 04:20 PM

Hey! Don't confuse anger with Bat **** Crazy! :D ;)

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 04:24 PM
*sigh*

Actually, from 270 degrees, it was exactly that.

He didn't get a flag because the official was on the right side, by the sidelines, and saw RR's right arm on the runner's hip and the rule requires another arm to be part of the tackle.

We got lucky because any other position where that arm isn't seen and a flag comes out. Ryan pulled him down with his jersey/pads.

*sigh*

His hand have to be INSIDE the pads for it to be a horse collar.

ps, I don't know if they did, or not. I would have to go back and watch it.

LawtonBoy74
9/7/2009, 04:28 PM
Well we actually didnt get lucky because BYU scored anyway, I think the penalty would of helped us it seemed like everytime they were faced with a situation to gain 3 yds or less they couldnt do it against our defense..I was the only one at my friends house who was shouting at the t.v. when we accepted the delay of game penalty in the 4th qtr..because it gave BYU more room to operate

A-M
9/7/2009, 04:34 PM
Hey! Don't confuse anger with Bat **** Crazy! :D ;)

Trust me CD, I know crazy and you are not acting like any type of crazy. You don't allow anyone to disagree with you without becoming personal about it. Still, you will not run me off or change my mind.
By the way, from the angle I saw on TV of the tackle in question, his left hand looked to be inside the pads. That's why I, and the other person in the room thought a flag would be coming out, but it didn't. I didn't record it, but if you did, why don't you go back and check it out in slow motion and then let us know. It's not easy to see these things in real time and it would be interesting to know exactly where his left hand was.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 04:35 PM
Trust me CD, I know crazy and you are not acting crazy. You don't allow anyone to disagree with you without becoming personal about it. Still, you will not run me off or change my mind. By the way, from the angle I saw on TV of the tackle in question, his left hand looked to be inside the pads. That's why I, and the other person in the room thought a flag would be coming out, but it didn't.

Alright, then there should have been a flag. I agree.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 04:37 PM
CK, your often condescending manner on this board takes away from some pretty good posts.

What's with the *sigh*?

Karyia was pulled down by the jersey.

“Horse-Collar” Tackle (Rule 9-1-2-p). . The rule prohibits all players from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the runner down. This does not apply to a runner who is inside the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket. A key element is the immediacy of the runner being pulled down, because of the risk of injury. The horse-collar tackle is a personal foul and the penalty is 15 yards.

silverwheels
9/7/2009, 04:39 PM
He has just fantastic instincts and a fantastic football IQ. Too bad he's been injured so many times. I think he would make a good coach if he wants to be one when his career is over.

LawtonBoy74
9/7/2009, 04:40 PM
yeah, I agree

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 04:43 PM
CK, your often condescending manner on this board takes away from some pretty good posts.

What's with the *sigh*?

Karyia was pulled down by the jersey.

“Horse-Collar” Tackle (Rule 9-1-2-p). . The rule prohibits all players from grabbing the inside back collar of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the runner down. This does not apply to a runner who is inside the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket. A key element is the immediacy of the runner being pulled down, because of the risk of injury. The horse-collar tackle is a personal foul and the penalty is 15 yards.

They explained it differently in national championship game. I resent the statement, btw.

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 04:47 PM
They explained it differently in national championship game. I resent the statement, btw.

Which statement do you resent, the *sigh*?

Condescending.

I'm just providing constructive criticism to what otherwise is a good presence on SF.com.

I'll be glad to discuss it with you over a beer Saturday.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 04:49 PM
Which statement do you resent, the *sigh*?

Condescending.

I'm just providing constructive criticism to what otherwise is a good presence on SF.com.

I'll be glad to discuss it with you over a beer Saturday.

Alright.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 05:09 PM
I'll referee. :D ;)

TMcGee86
9/7/2009, 06:26 PM
Like it would have mattered anyway, it was first and goal from the five. It would have been first and goal from the 2.5.

BFD. :rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
9/7/2009, 06:28 PM
Like it would have mattered anyway, it was first and goal from the five. It would have been first and goal from the 2.5.

BFD. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but it is hard to tout the wonder of an individual play when the person being touted gets a personal foul! :P

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 08:18 PM
I thought Reynolds played a good game. He never gives up on a play & he's everywhere. Has a good sense for the ball. Seems a good leader too.

boomersooner2001
9/7/2009, 09:35 PM
I have to disagree with this because I only noticed him get beat a couple times and he was in perfect position for the interception, but again it has been a long time since he played football and needs to shake the rust off.

I don't know if this has been said yet, and before I say it, let me say this...RR is a beast up the middle. I'm glad to see him back on the field. I wish more players had the heart he does.

But now that I've said that, and it was obvious he is slower now (which is to be expected) why doesnt he come out during 3rd and longs, and other passing situations, and a faster DB put in his place, who can cover better, in the game? Surely this would help OUr passing defense over the middle.

LawtonBoy74
9/7/2009, 11:48 PM
My thougts exactly we could have a 3 down lineman set with K.Clayton and T.Lewis at LBs and and M.Trice and D.Hurst playing nickle backs..like a 3-2-6 scheme but only on 3rd and longs though..I'm sure just with our three down lineman we can generate pressure with McCoy, Beal, and English or Alexander

oupride
9/8/2009, 07:18 AM
RR is a stud. Period.

DakotaSooner
9/8/2009, 09:34 AM

I respectfully disagree with this statement.......apparently you only follow OU and not college football in general.