PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford Update

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:41 AM
Stoops just said that it is a grade 2 or grade 3 sprain and that they will not know how long he will be out until next week.

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 10:42 AM
i don't get how it takes that long too KNOW ??? what are they hiding from us, JUST FREAKING TELL US WHATS WRONG WITH GRESHAM AND BRADFORD

badger
9/7/2009, 10:43 AM
More info here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=250&articleid=20090907_250_0_NORMAN645288)

No1Better
9/7/2009, 10:43 AM
Found this link on the rehab program:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/thermod/acprog.html

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:45 AM
Doesn't sound like he will be back for Texas to be honest. I don't know about Gresham, but it doesn't sound to good either.

Sasakwa
9/7/2009, 10:45 AM
They may not be hiding it from us on purpose, the new laws on medical disclosure may prevent them from giving all the details. On the other hand, maybe they just don't want everyone to know right now. Frustrating either way.

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 10:46 AM
maybe they don't want to ruin OUr labor day and season all in one day

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:48 AM
maybe they don't want to ruin OUr labor day and season all in one day

If that is the best our tight ends can do against BYU then we may need to start pulling redshirts. Pathetic.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 10:48 AM
I don't get how it takes that long to find out. What are they hiding from us? JUST FREAKING TELL US WHAT'S WRONG WITH GRESHAM AND BRADFORD!

What's wrong, kid? Have you never been hurt before? Oh, and I fixed your quote in my quote of it. I couldn't stand to look at it. Are you in college?

the_ouskull

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 10:50 AM
wow who would have thought this nightmare would ever happen to Sam

Tom Brady last year, week 1

now the best College QB week 1 this year

wow

OU-HSV
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4452318

Sooners QB sidelined indefinitely

ESPN.com news services

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Monday that quarterback Sam Bradford has a Grade 2 or Grade 3 sprain of the right throwing shoulder.

Stoops said that Bradford's recovery will continue to be monitored and it could be a "week or two" before there is a total understanding of a timeline of the junior's absence.

"A lot of it depends on how he heals and how he's feeling," Stoops said. "It will be a while."

ESPN's Joe Schad reported Sunday evening that two people close to the situation said that Bradford had already begun physical rehabilitation and was hoping to be able to recover without surgery.

Bradford, last year's Heisman Trophy winner, sprained the AC joint in his throwing shoulder when he was driven to the turf in the first half of the third-ranked Sooners' 14-13 upset loss to No. 20 BYU on Saturday. Bradford underwent an MRI on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Stoops said he would have more information later this week on the prognosis of All-America tight end Jermaine Gresham, who has cartilage damage in his right knee and didn't play against BYU.

Joe Schad is ESPN's college football reporter.

CK Sooner
What's wrong, kid? Have you never been hurt before? Oh, and I fixed your quote in my quote of it. I couldn't stand to look at it. Are you in college?

the_ouskull

Some people don't make $30,000 a year teaching, sorry.

:rolleyes:

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 10:51 AM
Doesn't sound like he will be back for Texas to be honest. I don't know about Gresham, but it doesn't sound to good either.

Based on what? My understanding is that less than grade 4, highly unlikely to operate on the condition. If no surgery, it is not medically probable that he is out more than 6 weeks. Tje medical rehab suggestions I have read put him "back to activity" in between 2 and 4 weeks, depending on the severity (2 vs. 3).

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 10:51 AM

the_ouskull

okay cool guy

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2009, 10:52 AM
Man, we will see some of the BEST (or certainly the hardest) coaching in the next couple weeks. We will see what Murray, Brown, and Jones are made of, this is certain.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/7/2009, 10:53 AM
Based on what? My understanding is that less than grade 4, highly unlikely to operate on the condition. If no surgery, it is not medically probable that he is out more than 6 weeks. Tje medical rehab suggestions I have read put him "back to activity" in between 2 and 4 weeks, depending on the severity (2 vs. 3).

If stoops says its a grade 2 sprain it's probably a grade 6 sprain.

htownsooner7
another interesting link. http://www.conquestchronicles.com/special/The_Shoulder_Sprain

StoopTroup

Take a look at the timeline your talking about before Texas.

It's the 2nd week in October. That's over 5 weeks from now.

spacecadet
9/7/2009, 10:54 AM

ZING!

TXBOOMER
9/7/2009, 10:57 AM
Enough! If this is a grade 2 or 3 he will play against the U. JG on the other hand scares me.

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 10:58 AM
Although I'm not a Doctor, it is foolish to try to ascertain the range of motion and extent of injury this early. The swelling that occurs due would limit the reliability and validity of an early diagnosis.

We all need to prepare for Sam and Gresham to be out for the season. Not that they Will, just be psychologically prepared for that. If they are out it is a total rebuilding year for the offense and warrant a lower expectation of the season results... sad but true.

TXBOOMER
9/7/2009, 11:04 AM
Although I'm not a Doctor, it is foolish to try to ascertain the range of motion and extent of injury this early. The swelling that occurs due would limit the reliability and validity of an early diagnosis.

We all need to prepare for Sam and Gresham to be out for the season. Not that they Will, just be psychologically prepared for that. If they are out it is a total rebuilding year for the offense and warrant a lower expectation of the season results... sad but true.

He had an MRI yesterday. The ligament damage isn't going to change because of swelling. Thus, the dr's can grade the injury after looking at the MRI. Stoops said it was a 2 or 3.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 11:04 AM
...and warrant a lower expectation of the season results

I believe lots of folks are already doing that.

We'll just see what happens in these games prior to Texas.

No need to tear up your tickets or kick your dog.

Soonerus
9/7/2009, 11:05 AM
Bradford and Gresham will both be back for Texas, if not Miami...

badger
9/7/2009, 11:06 AM
If stoops says its a grade 2 sprain it's probably a grade 6 sprain.

I am not sure... he seems to be pretty honest and straightforward about injury situations - he told the public when Adrian Peterson had collarbone issues, after all.

And if he isn't, well, it's not like it's any of our business. It's medical and there's a certain degree of patient-doctor confidentiality, right?

noobalicious
9/7/2009, 11:13 AM
Here's a pretty good summary of this type of injury:

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2009/9/6/1018964/thoughts-and-perspectives-on-the

Which leads me to believe that if it's a Grade 3, Sam won't be playing by Miami or even Texas. A Grade 3 is a complete tear of the muscle and is the point at which they start considering surgery options versus pure rehab options. Alex Smith had a Grade 3 sprain with the 9ers and it looks like he was out for most of the NFL season.

Jboozer
9/7/2009, 11:17 AM
NOOOOOOOO:eek:

Hotrod3157
9/7/2009, 11:17 AM
With injuries and losing the first game it really hurts our mnc chances. I'm sure that might weigh on Sam's and JG's decisions on treatment and how fast they come back with future millions on the line.

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 11:19 AM
if somehow we win out... the voters will remember that Gresham and Bradford were out for the BYU game, or lets hope so.

right now we need BYU to win out, i guess?

picasso
9/7/2009, 11:25 AM
what kind of world do you live in where you think BYU will win out? They were a hard nosed team but we should have put them away several times.

It's going to take a small miracle for our team to win the south this season.

SPuL
9/7/2009, 11:28 AM
if somehow we win out... the voters will remember that Gresham and Bradford were out for the BYU game, or lets hope so.

right now we need BYU to win out, i guess?
Pretty much.

They could very well do so.

But yeah, honestly it would suck if Bradford was lost for the season. But since before last year, I liked Landry Jones, I don't know why. I believe if the o-line can give him some time, Landry will really gain some confidence these next two weeks.

I have faith even if Bradford goes down, we could challenge Texas. I know our defense knows that this season could rest on their shoulders, and I expect them to come out with an animosity the rest of the season.

All we need is the o-line to settle down, and get us holes for DeMarco and Chris. We have the best running back duo in the nation. Let's put it to use!

SapulpaSooner
9/7/2009, 11:28 AM

BOOMER SOONER TO THAT

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 11:32 AM

I wish I had your confidence.

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 11:33 AM
Here's a pretty good summary of this type of injury:

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2009/9/6/1018964/thoughts-and-perspectives-on-the

Which leads me to believe that if it's a Grade 3, Sam won't be playing by Miami or even Texas. A Grade 3 is a complete tear of the muscle and is the point at which they start considering surgery options versus pure rehab options. Alex Smith had a Grade 3 sprain with the 9ers and it looks like he was out for most of the NFL season.

On the flipside, check my thread out about Joel Klatt. He was grade 4, and threw for 400 yards exactly three weeks after the injury.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 11:36 AM
It's going to take a small miracle for our team to win the south this season.

Sooner Magic? :D

mikeelikee
9/7/2009, 11:36 AM
With injuries and losing the first game it really hurts our mnc chances. I'm sure that might weigh on Sam's and JG's decisions on treatment and how fast they come back with future millions on the line.

MNC chances? If our O-line and certain receivers don't significantly improve their level of play, we may not beat Miami, definitely won't beat Texass, and probably will lose at Kansas and maybe Nebbish.

A-M
9/7/2009, 11:39 AM
At this time, all we can say is that ONLY TIME WILL TELL!

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 11:40 AM
From some news reports Gresham is faced with either rehabing his knee to considering surgery. I Sam is out for the season Gresham will have surgery to help his knee.

You heard it here first.

If Sam is only out for a couple weeks all bets are off.

A-M
9/7/2009, 11:41 AM
MNC chances? If our O-line and certain receivers don't significantly improve their level of play, we may not beat Miami, definitely won't beat Texass, and probably will lose at Kansas and maybe Nebbish.

^^^.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:43 AM
From some news reports Gresham is faced with either rehabing his knee to considering surgery. I Sam is out for the season Gresham will have surgery to help his knee.

You heard it here first.

If Sam is only out for a couple weeks all bets are off.

:confused:

noobalicious
9/7/2009, 11:44 AM
On the flipside, check my thread out about Joel Klatt. He was grade 4, and threw for 400 yards exactly three weeks after the injury.

Bradford has a bright future. I'd rather not rush him back too soon. A complete tear in the muscle requires time to heal. And then you have to rebuild strength. Alex Smith wasn't the same almost a year after a Grade 3 sprain.

I think a lot of it depends on the particular injury and particular player. I mean Stoops said it would take 1-2 weeks to evaluate how to precisely treat the injury.

Overall, I'd rather see them take Bradford's future into consideration. It's not like Landry is some idiot with a helmet. The guy was a 4-star recruit. I think he can play. The biggest determiner of our success the rest of the season won't be the quarterback, it'll be whether or not the offensive line can keep whoever IS the quarterback off his back.

Sasakwa
9/7/2009, 11:54 AM
If I'm JG, I'm waiting to see what Sam does. If he's coming back, then I consider coming back. If he's out, then I'm picking surgeons and going under the knife ASAP so I can be that much closer to recovery before the combine.

SOONERnTx
9/7/2009, 11:54 AM
Would it be so bad at this point for Bradford to be out the whole year and get back to full strength, play his senior year with a more experienced O-line, and go out like he deserves, on top and undefeated!

SeattleOUstudent
9/7/2009, 11:55 AM
:confused:

I was thinking the same thing.

TahoeSOONER
9/7/2009, 12:05 PM
I'm sure both of these guys futures are priority one.

Just keep in mind how much Sam and Gresh love OU and will do everything in their power to help them win.

Sam may even come back next year, as silly as that sounds, even after this injury.

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 12:10 PM
Bradford has a bright future. I'd rather not rush him back too soon. A complete tear in the muscle requires time to heal. And then you have to rebuild strength. Alex Smith wasn't the same almost a year after a Grade 3 sprain.

I think a lot of it depends on the particular injury and particular player. I mean Stoops said it would take 1-2 weeks to evaluate how to precisely treat the injury.

Overall, I'd rather see them take Bradford's future into consideration. It's not like Landry is some idiot with a helmet. The guy was a 4-star recruit. I think he can play. The biggest determiner of our success the rest of the season won't be the quarterback, it'll be whether or not the offensive line can keep whoever IS the quarterback off his back.

Why is 4 to 6 weeks "rushing back" a grade 3 sprain? Seems pretty in line with the PT recommendations?

VMG
9/7/2009, 12:19 PM
I've already adjusted my expectations -- grade 2/3 means something is torn. Sam will not be back for Texas, and given his future potential we've likely seen the last of him suited up to play for OU.

WRT his injury, the right decision is the one that puts him in the best position to maintain a high draft position. Putzing around with a grade 2/3 AC problem (before we ever discuss the risk of re-injury) is the best way to arrive in the spring draft season with lingering questions about ones shoulder.

I look forward to seeing how the team and the staff handle the adversity, and how Landry progresses in light of the current state of o-line play...

noobalicious
9/7/2009, 12:22 PM
Why is 4 to 6 weeks "rushing back" a grade 3 sprain? Seems pretty in line with the PT recommendations?

From the Tulsa World, courtesy of emedicine/WebMD:

"Type II cases are more severe and can require the shoulder to be immobilized for up to a month, according to the Web site. After that, an athlete would be forbidden from heavy lifting for 6-8 more weeks."

Up to a month plus 6-8 weeks means anywhere from 2 to 3 months I would guess. And that's for a Type 2.

I really hope it is only 4 or 6 weeks. I've read elsewhere that Type 1/2 are less severe and those types of injuries' recovery times range from 2 to 6 weeks. Obviously, most Type 2's would be at the upper end of that range. If it's a type 2, Bradford could potentially be back by Texas.

A type 3, and I would have to start hoping for a return by @Nebraska (9 weeks) or @Texas Tech (11 weeks).

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 12:27 PM
I've already adjusted my expectations -- grade 2/3 means something is torn. Sam will not be back for Texas, and given his future potential we've likely seen the last of him suited up to play for OU.

WRT his injury, the right decision is the one that puts him in the best position to maintain a high draft position. Putzing around with a grade 2/3 AC problem (before we ever discuss the risk of re-injury) is the best way to arrive in the spring draft season with lingering questions about ones shoulder.

I look forward to seeing how the team and the staff handle the adversity, and how Landry progresses in light of the current state of o-line play...

I can assure you that if he doesn't play this year and enters the draft, his draft stock will be reduced. Fear of the unknown for the NFL teams. The BEST thing for Sam, if he wants to be drafted in 2010, is to come back and play strong. Granted, that may mean they take the precaution of holding him out a few extra weeks, but to hold him out for the year and still enter the draft makes no sense to me.

Jello Biafra
9/7/2009, 12:30 PM
i keep hearing all of you guys saying we may have seen bradford play his last game as a sooner. have any of you ever played this game? im telling you (and have been for months) there is more to this game sometimes than money and glory. some just want to play it and be part of something. and all three chose this university to be part of the storied history. i would not doubt it a bit if all three of the guys who decided to come back do so again.

mccoy is already on record as saying his highest priority is his education and his promise to his mother. i happen to know his dad as he works at tinker. he (gerald) is not pressured into going pro. his dad is comfortable and he knows it is geralds life to live.

bradfords life is similar he is no doubt aware that life is not always easier just because you are recieving millions playing the game that you LOVE and he knows his best years will no doubt be spent on campus. you guys need to think of it as a military operation. those who have been in the military know what im talking about. there are no better friends than those you have served with.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 12:32 PM
Great stuff Jello.

jonnylingobyufan
9/7/2009, 12:48 PM
Stoops just said that it is a grade 2 or g

rade 3 sprain and that they will not know how long he will be out until next week.

Ck sooner and jlew. Looks like jorgenson was right about that physical play eh. While max was lighting it up bradford and landry were on their backs all night. To all you other ou fans, great game abd best of luck for the rest of the season. I was upset about bradford's injury. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery. Most of you are very classy fans. I had a lot of congratulations at the game. Only a few religiously bigoted comments and threats. Best of luck!!

Jello Biafra
9/7/2009, 12:52 PM
Ck sooner and jlew. Looks like jorgenson was right about that physical play eh. While max was lighting it up bradford and landry were on their backs all night. To all you other ou fans, great game abd best of luck for the rest of the season. I was upset about bradford's injury. Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery. Most of you are very classy fans. I had a lot of congratulations at the game. Only a few religiously bigoted comments and threats. Best of luck!!

grats to your team on thier victory....

god i hate saying that. no doubt, again, we allow a less talented to stick around long enough, we lose. i dont know that you guys were as physical as you think you were. we had 10 tackles for loss and we when our line was in order, we were gashing your defense for 8 yards a carry. we put the ball on the carpet an untold amount of times. we lost ONE (1) fumble last season. and we had MULTIPLE stupid penalties. you caught us at the worst possible time, apparently. i am dumbfounded on the sacks. we have spent the last three years running with a tight end and for what ever reason when you guys ran that same blitz over and over, we were without a tight end. last season the line was able to pick that up, this season, not so much.

VMG
9/7/2009, 01:19 PM
I can assure you that if he doesn't play this year and enters the draft, his draft stock will be reduced. Fear of the unknown for the NFL teams. The BEST thing for Sam, if he wants to be drafted in 2010, is to come back and play strong. Granted, that may mean they take the precaution of holding him out a few extra weeks, but to hold him out for the year and still enter the draft makes no sense to me.

His draft stock is already reduced. Just 'holding him out a few extra weeks' and letting nature take its course after a grade 2/3 ac injury doesn't change that, and is high risk for achieving the degree of recovery desired/required for a high-performance athlete -- i.e. full recovery. They're likely considering whether surgery is a better pathway to demonstrating full recovery. Either way there are no guarantees, but the degree of injury will dictate the higher percentage pathway.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 01:26 PM
This post is from Looking4#8 at OUInsider.

The Tulsa World had a report and interview with a prominent Orthopod here in Tulsa that has treated hundreds of this exact injury and he said even with a Grade 3 sprain he should be playing at a high level within 3 to 4 weeks (at Miami). Thanks God for the off week now, comes in handy. This guy said that NFL guys get a Grade 3 and get a shot of corizone the next week and play.

He also said EVERY, and was specific about every, QB gets this injury some time in his career. Very common he said. He also said that within two days Bradford would be working on range of motion and then soon afterward throwing the ball.

After reading this I think we can get by sisters of the poor this weekend and then Tulsa next and then a week off and by the time Miami game comes around he will be 4 weeks out.

OUHOMER
9/7/2009, 01:34 PM

The Tulsa World had a report and interview with a prominent Orthopod here in Tulsa that has treated hundreds of this exact injury and he said even with a Grade 3 sprain he should be playing at a high level within 3 to 4 weeks (at Miami). Thanks God for the off week now, comes in handy. This guy said that NFL guys get a Grade 3 and get a shot of corizone the next week and play.

He also said EVERY, and was specific about every, QB gets this injury some time in his career. Very common he said. He also said that within two days Bradford would be working on range of motion and then soon afterward throwing the ball.

After reading this I think we can get by sisters of the poor this weekend and then Tulsa next and then a week off and by the time Miami game comes around he will be 4 weeks out.

Great News, still, i hope they dont rush it, thinking long term.

NOVSooner
9/7/2009, 01:38 PM

let's hope this is the case and in regards to Gresh, the way stoops is talking, seemingly reading b/t the lines I don't look for him coming back anytime soon, if this year until I see him suit up to play. I hope he comes back, but the talk of "we're going to look at what's best for him and his future" has significant meaning in my book.

badger
9/7/2009, 01:40 PM
The Tulsa World had a report and interview with a prominent Orthopod here in Tulsa that has treated hundreds of this exact injury and he said even with a Grade 3 sprain he should be playing at a high level within 3 to 4 weeks (at Miami).

The article in question is here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090907_92_B1_OUsSam397002)

"He's gonna make it back from that. It won't be this week (OU plays Idaho State
on Saturday), but he's gonna make it back. I wouldn't be surprised to see him against Tulsa (on Sept. 19)."

Hotrod3157
9/7/2009, 01:53 PM
Great News, still, i hope they dont rush it, thinking long term.

Ditto

OKC-SLC
9/7/2009, 02:00 PM
Sam doesn't owe me anything. He needs to come back when he's healthy and when it's certain he won't do any long-term damage (which is unlikely).

It doesn't do him any good to force coming back for, say, Miami only to perform in a substandard way and make NFL people start to doubt him.

OUHOMER
9/7/2009, 02:11 PM
The article in question is here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090907_92_B1_OUsSam397002)

Thanks Badger;)

noobalicious
9/7/2009, 02:11 PM

Boy do I hope that's true, as long as they don't rush him, because it seems like all of these medical experts are telling us different things. ESPN just had their sports medicine expert on who said a Grade III Sprain would end his season, and Grade II would keep him out about 6 weeks.

wishbonesooner
9/7/2009, 02:12 PM
Take your time Sam. You do what is best for Sam Bradford. Sooner fans love you, but you owe us nothing.

SPuL
9/7/2009, 02:28 PM
Take your time Sam. You do what is best for Sam Bradford. Sooner fans love you, but you owe us nothing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SoonerAficionadOU
9/7/2009, 02:29 PM

Ditto!!

jonnylingobyufan
9/7/2009, 03:03 PM
grats to your team on thier victory....

god i hate saying that. no doubt, again, we allow a less talented to stick around long enough, we lose. i dont know that you guys were as physical as you think you were. we had 10 tackles for loss and we when our line was in order, we were gashing your defense for 8 yards a carry. we put the ball on the carpet an untold amount of times. we lost ONE (1) fumble last season. and we had MULTIPLE stupid penalties. you caught us at the worst possible time, apparently. i am dumbfounded on the sacks. we have spent the last three years running with a tight end and for what ever reason when you guys ran that same blitz over and over, we were without a tight end. last season the line was able to pick that up, this season, not so much.

I beg to differ. The only touchdown you guys had was the result of a gimmie to you on the 25 yard line. Not even Bradford could move the ball. For heavens sake in 6 tries you couldn't even get it into the endzone within 2 yards of the endzone. I was at the game, and I saw a lot of OU players being carted off. You don't have to give us credit. Both teams made ALOT of mistakes, but we did what most teams couldn't last year and that was outplay you in almost every aspect of the game.

take away our fumble on the one yard line and jacobsen's stupid play on the punt return and the score is 21 6.

I think you should give credit where credit is due. Best of luck the rest of the season.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 03:21 PM
I beg to differ. The only touchdown you guys had was the result of a gimmie to you on the 25 yard line. Not even Bradford could move the ball. For heavens sake in 6 tries you couldn't even get it into the endzone within 2 yards of the endzone. I was at the game, and I saw a lot of OU players being carted off. You don't have to give us credit. Both teams made ALOT of mistakes, but we did what most teams couldn't last year and that was outplay you in almost every aspect of the game.

take away our fumble on the one yard line and jacobsen's stupid play on the punt return and the score is 21 6.

I think you should give credit where credit is due. Best of luck the rest of the season.

I'll give them credit, but you know that outcome would have been different if Sam didn't get injured.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 03:24 PM

Easy there, don't neg me, Quick Draw.

:shoveyourrolledeyesupyourwhite*ss:

the_ouskull

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2009, 03:28 PM

The problem with your logic is that you are not factoring in our mistakes. Murray and Broyles fumble in your terrority, or the mistakes on your goal line. So take that crap somewhere else; the score could have been 28-7 at halftime if we dont fumble those balls in your terrority. There is no reason to be subjective when you have a tangible result in front of you; namely you won the game so move on before you fall into the trap TCU did when they beat us in 2005, and lost to SMU the following week.

colinreturn
9/7/2009, 03:44 PM
I know all of this sucks, but its time to rethink our goals and expectations for this season. IMO Landry Jones will be a great QB and if our defense will keep stepping up we still have a chance every Saturday to win.

A-M
9/7/2009, 03:44 PM

I will give you credit because you deserve it. Unlike CD, I remember that we were not able to do much with Sam in the first half, what makes me think we would have done better in the second half with Sam in the game. I'm not so sure that we would have.:(

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 03:46 PM
I will give you credit because you deserve it. Unlike CD, I remember that we were not able to do much with Sam in the first half, what makes me think we would have done better in the second half with Sam in the game. I'm not so sure that we would have.:(

Sam was not in the whole first half and my name is not CD.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

picasso
9/7/2009, 03:50 PM
no sour grapes here but if Sam is in the game we score that late TD. That's the ball game.
Nice win BYU but don't act like we weren't any better off with last season's Heisman winner.

That's pure silliness.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 03:54 PM
I'll give them credit, but you know that outcome would have been different if Sam didn't get injured.

Based off of what, exactly? Faith?

Well, my Flying Spaghetti Monster told me that we were moving the ball ALMOST as fast as old people f*ck WITH Sam in there, so I'm not sure what, exactly, other than youth and ignorance, you're basing your decision on. Good luck with that time machine though. I'm sure that you and Doc will be able to prove yourselves right in no time.

Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure. Whether or not we like it, BYU has scoreboard now, and all of the "but, but, but's" in the world won't change that, so pull your head out of the clouds and/or anywhere else you seem to have had it lately (really, rook, coming after ME? are you MAD?) and let me drop some thread-related knowledge as well...

-----

All of these times that are being quoted as recovery times are the result of literally years, and years of tests on most types of patients. They're pretty darn accurate.

However, athletes; especially professional, but college athletes too, to an extent, aren't "normal people."

Example: Lets say CKSooner or some other young-*ssed, head-of-steam type and I go out and play some football at the next tailgate, and I roll my ankle trying to cover him. (This is a highly probable scenario given my ankle if not his athletic ability...) Depending on the severity, I may be unable to play competitively for up to a week or more. A first degree sprain, I'm done for at least that day, and probably the next as well. Maybe longer. Second degree. That's at least a week of my time spent laid up. More likely 2 weeks.

If a college athlete gets a first degree sprain, they usually tape/wrap it tighter and continue to play. If they get a second degree sprain, they're usually playing again within a few days.

Their healing times aren't cut in half or anything, but they're significantly reduced due to their conditioning, musculature, and strength of the surrounding areas. When I tore my right ACL the first time, I was 20 and still in very good shape physically. (5'10-11", 170ish, 38" vertical) Because of this, and the fact that I wasn't going to be playing competitive ball anymore, I opted against having surgery. My ortho told me that I'd be just as likely to re-injure it with the surgery, and, as long as my playing days were over, because of the strength of the surrounding muscles (thigh, calves, etc..) I'd be able to regain full range of strength and motion again with only a P.T. program. I was.

On the other hand, though, Sam could steal a bong from whoever thought it would be a good idea to let JLew pass his elementary school spelling classes and spend the next month sitting on the couch playing Madden, eating Ketchup Chips, and drinking 40oz's, and he'd still be in 10x the shape that I was in - even back then. So, he's pretty much set for optimal recovery time. In addition, with all of the trainers, doctors, etc.. that will be dedicated solely to him, it will help things along even faster.

I'm not saying that he will or that he won't be back this season. Do I think he can come back? Yes. Now, whether or not I think he SHOULD come back is another matter entirely. I seriously doubt, no offense to the winners and all, that BYU will be the best pass rush we face this season. Why the sh*t would Sam want to rush back from injury only to spend more time on his back than Paris Hilton? Why would J.G. come back without Sam? He knows he's a stud, and he doesn't have to catch passes on the other side of Uncle Rico's mountain to prove it.

But, I DO think that, by this time next week, we'll have a lot better idea about what is up with Sam. I think that he could be back in time for Tejas, but, as we've already been told, it will depend on the severity. It may also depend on how well we do in his absence. I don't see any point in him coming back to a 2-3 loss team. (Shutdaf*ck up, haters, 'cause it IS possible. We already have one loss. It's not out of the question that we could lose to Miami, and to Tejas, before Sam has a shot at coming back... At that point, would he? H*ll, SHOULD he?)

the_ouskull

OUTromBoNado
9/7/2009, 04:27 PM
Worst case situation for Sam and JG....let's give them medical redshirts. That will give Sam two more years of eligibility and JG one more year.

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 04:28 PM
LOL

TMcGee86
9/7/2009, 04:44 PM
Sam was moving the ball quite well on the last two drives of the half.

He had back to back completions of 17 and 13 yards before Broyles fumbled, and then on the last drive had completions of 7, 8, and 18, before being knocked out of the game.

He was 6 of 7 before his injury and had drives end at the BYU 35 and 18 respectively, the first one ending on a fumble and the last because he was hurt.

We sucked, of this there is no doubt, but to say it wouldn't have been a different game if Sam stayed in is just ignoring the obvious. Every team I watched Saturday looked like **** in the first quarter. Some (OU) moreso than others, but Sam's injury changed the face of that game like nothing else could have.

A-M
9/7/2009, 04:45 PM
Sam was not in the whole first half and my name is not CD.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry CK, it really was a typo. If I remember correct, Sam came out of the game with about 2 minutes left and they got the ball as soon as we made our field goal to take the lead. I was taking care of our meal so we could eat during the half, but I don't think that our O came back on the field during the first half. So, to me, Sam was in during for the first half.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry CK, it really was a typo. If I remember correct, Sam came out of the game with about 2 minutes left and they got the ball as soon as we made our field goal to take the lead. I was taking care of our meal so we could eat during the half, but I don't think that our O came back on the field during the first half. So, to me, Sam was in during for the first half.

I see.

A-M
9/7/2009, 04:48 PM
Worst case situation for Sam and JG....let's give them medical redshirts. That will give Sam two more years of eligibility and JG one more year.

Doing this would also give our O line a year to learn how to play a little better. We know they could stand to improve their play.:D

sendbaht
9/7/2009, 05:01 PM
You think?

You think if it keep us out of the KNOW and we have not Found Out anything yet and it keep us guessing....do you think it just might keep the other team guessing just a little bit? ya suuur thank it surewood...:)

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 05:03 PM
Doing this would also give our O line a year to learn how to play a little better. We know they could stand to improve their play.:D

Maybe you could take a year off and work on your posting?

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 05:05 PM

:P

A-M
9/7/2009, 06:06 PM

And I love you too, StoopTroup!

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 06:09 PM
And I love you too, StoopTroup!

Ain't love grand.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 06:12 PM
Ain't love grand.

When you're young everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not; it's just the beginning. You might have to meet a few more jerks, but one day you're gonna meet a boy who treats you the way you deserve to be treated. Like the sun rises and sets with you.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 08:26 PM
I'm sure that, when that day comes, you'll be the happiest little girl in the world, CD.

the_ouskull

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 08:28 PM
I'm sure that, when that day comes, you'll be the happiest little girl in the world, CD.

the_ouskull

Don't you have some bitching to do somewhere?

josh09
9/7/2009, 08:31 PM
So did I see it right, when it said he'll be back 2-4 weeks? As in, Miami?

OklahomaTuba
9/7/2009, 08:39 PM
Dean says he's done for the season.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 08:40 PM

Dean is an idiot.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 08:41 PM
So did I see it right, when it said he'll be back 2-4 weeks? As in, Miami?

Yes.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 08:46 PM

I thought he said that it was only an 80/40 chance?

the_ouskull

Eielson
9/7/2009, 08:46 PM
i don't get how it takes that long too KNOW ??? what are they hiding from us, JUST FREAKING TELL US WHATS WRONG WITH GRESHAM AND BRADFORD

Take a couple days off from the computer...seriously.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 08:48 PM
Don't you have some bitching to do somewhere?

Snappy comeback. You're better at this than I thought... At this rate, you should be able to prove to me that you're not mentally handicapped by 2010. I mean, assuming that you're NOT mentally handicapped. I've yet to see definitive proof either way, really...

the_ouskull

LosAngelesSooner
9/7/2009, 09:05 PM

Skull is smarter than you'll ever be...as evidenced by the idiocy demonstrated in the above quote.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 09:06 PM
I take it back. You've proven beyond a shadow that you are, in fact, mentally handicapped. I'm not shocked, or even disappointed, really. I guess you could say I'm indifferent. I'll continue to slap you publicly. You can continue to try to use your "influence" to turn my greens into reds. Good luck with that. Even though you've responded to most of my posts today with neg spek, you still haven't caught up to the number of people that are writing me things like this:

amen. that guy drives me nuts.

And this:

I really, really hate that kid.

In regards to YOU, sir.

Now, if you can step away from your pathetic attempts at self-aggrandizing through the private message system for long enough to try, I believe that you WERE asked a direct question earlier. I asked you on what, specifically, you are basing your opinion that OU would have won the BYU game had Sam not been injured.

I know that I mean more to you than OU football, as evidenced by your inability to stay away from reading my posts and responding to them privately, but if you can take a few minutes away from stalking me and try to compose an intelligent, well-thought-out and argued response to the above question, I'd appreciate it. In fact, the whole board would. After Saturday, we could all use a good laugh, and watching you try to type something intelligent, profound, or even remotely knowledgeable about football will provide ME, at least, with just the laugh I need. I'm sure (and can prove) that others feel the same way. I'd ask you to get your lady friend to help you, but she's probably busy doing English 0123 homework.

the_ouskull

soonerloyal
9/7/2009, 09:14 PM
BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT.

BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT.

BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT.

BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT.

BREATHE IN. BREATHE OUT...

Sheesh, you'd think from reading some posts that we were in the middle of a Smelly****er reign. Come on, people...perspective please.

the_ouskull
9/7/2009, 09:18 PM
Skull is smarter than you'll ever be...as evidenced by the idiocy demonstrated in the above quote.

This is normally where I'd launch into a tirade about quitting my $80k/year P.R. job in order to go back to school to get certified to teach because I felt so strongly about the decline of education in our country in general, but our state in particular...

..but some sh*t-for-brains can't see past their own Mommy/Daddy-colored glasses long enough to realize that, even as a(n unemployed) teacher, I'm still making more money annually than he is. Not all stocks, funds, etc.. went in the tank. Only the dumb ones.

Do you own anything, CD? Like, I don't know, property? Stocks? Land? I highly recommend doing so, if you have the means. Ownership is rather empowering. For example, I've been closing the deal for about half an hour now, but, owning you the way I have been, and now do...? It's TOTALLY rewarding.

You should try it. I'd recommend you start with people on your level, though. See, that's what is happening in schools nowadays... Kids aren't being compared to knowledge, they're being compared to one another. This wouldn't normally be so bad, but, in the case of CD and the other "specimen," the effect is a negative one. It's like IQ inbreeding...

And, in case you're CD or JaneLew, and reading is a bit of a struggle, I've provided my previous paragraph in picture form as well... After all, while they try to play it off, joke about it as if it were intentional, or even come back at me - all bad ideas, they still deserve to know what the problem is, right? The problem is, they've been comparing themselves to one another and not to actual smart people. Anyway, here 'tis:

http://iqtest.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/idiot-test1.jpg

the_ouskull

delhalew
9/7/2009, 09:19 PM
Is this a football forum? I might be lost.

OU-HSV
9/7/2009, 09:21 PM
Sam doesn't owe me anything. He needs to come back when he's healthy and when it's certain he won't do any long-term damage (which is unlikely).

It doesn't do him any good to force coming back for, say, Miami only to perform in a substandard way and make NFL people start to doubt him.

Exactly.

IMO, at this point I hope the coaches don't get selfish and rush him back. AND I honestly think they won't rush him back.
Jake Trotter touched on that when he was interviewed on ESPN earlier today. He said the coaches know how very unselfish it was of Sam (and Gresham) to come back this season...and that he feels that the coaches will keep all of that in mind when advancing in the evaluation process of their injuries.
Sam has been amazing for OU and like you said he doesn't owe us fans anything. If the best thing for him (personally) to do is stay out this whole season...we all need to suck it up and be happy for all the things he's already done for/at OU. Sure it would be great for him to come back, but it would suck for him to come back too soon and tweak the injury again. And from the looks of the O Line the other night he's got to be able to be healthy enough to take hits.

sooner59
9/7/2009, 09:32 PM
OU can still haz football season? :)

Sooner24
9/7/2009, 11:23 PM
Is this a football forum? I might be lost.

You're in the right place.

Skull is just having a major meltdown because his football team got beat Saturday.