PDA

View Full Version : Bradford back and dominant in 3 weeks? The Story of Joel Klatt Suggests Yes

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 10:07 AM
For those of us that need hope about the Bradford situation, I submit the story of Joel Klatt, Colorado Buff starting qb from 2003-2005. In 2003, Klatt suffered a grade 4 sprained ac joint in his throwing arm. Here's what happened.

In 2003, Klatt was the starting qb for the buffs. The first game of the season and Klatt's first game ever as starting QB for Colorado he was National Player of the Week by The Sporting News, SI.com and collegefootballnews.com and Big 12 Conference Offensive Player of the Week. He went 34–21 for 402 yards and 4 TDs against Colorado St, winning the game with a 6-play, 75-yard drive with the winning touchdown with 40 seconds left in the game. Week 2, they beat UCLA 16-14. **WEEK 3, He suffered a grade 4 sprained ac joint shoulder injury during the Washington State game causing him to miss two starts against Florida State and Baylor. THE THIRD WEEK after the injury, he returned from the injury with a record setting game against Kansas going 38–54 with 419 yards. He went on to win the John Mack award for Colorado, given to Colorado's "Most outstanding offensive player."

Klatt talked about this injury during last nights CU-CSU game. This happened (I didn't make this up) and is a pretty damn good parallel for our situation.

I don't know medicine, I don't know whether the AC joint sprain was properly diagnosed, and I don't know whether the injury is been accurately reported by the Sooner staff. That being said, with all the doom and gloom, I thought this story of a very similar injury and return would give us hope that this can still be a great season.

Boomer!!!!

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 10:09 AM
but do we have that kind of luck?

god hates me

OU-HSV
9/7/2009, 10:31 AM
Interesting htown, thanks for the post. Nice to have a positive thought in our minds...
because if you all are like me I'm still a little shaken up about the thought of Sam missing more than even the Idaho State game.

The way it looked the other night, we will struggle tremendously against Tulsa if Sam isn't back. And certainly we will have a tough one playing at miami if Sam isn't playing. Let's hope I'm wrong. Let's hope that if Landry has to play an extended period of time, let's hope he gets proper O-Line protection and can lead us to victories.
(just re-read what I typed, wow that was a lot of "let's hope")

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:36 AM
Bob Stoops just said that it is a grade 2 or grade 3 sprain and it will take a week until they know how long he will be out.

budbarrybob
9/7/2009, 10:40 AM
Bob Stoops just said that it is a grade 2 or grade 3 sprain and it will take a week until they know how long he will be out.

Hmmm. Sounds like we should be wishing Bradford good luck in his next season.

No1Better
9/7/2009, 10:43 AM
Found this link on the rehab program:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/thermod/acprog.html

VMG
9/7/2009, 10:57 AM
IMHO, if Sam's injury was less serious I think we would have heard about it by now.

I had a grade 2 AC injury and it wasn't right for six weeks. Not putting any stress on the injured area was a challenge because of simple things like getting in and out of bed, rolling over in bed, brushing teeth, tying shoes -- any number of things we take for granted when we're healthy. Unlike me, on the backside of Sam's convalescence period he has to be able to sling a football around with an arm that hasn't done much of anything for weeks. And, of course, this all resides in the context of decisions concerning his still-promising future in the NFL.

Ask yourself, if you were responsible for Sam's future, what pathway would you choose to preserve that future?

OU_PhD
9/7/2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks to the OP for the story. It gives one reason to hope!

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 11:29 AM
Lets figure out this timeline. Bradford doesn't pick up a ball this week, only rehabs. Landry gets all the first team reps, hopefully we still beat idaho st by 30. Next week, 9 days after the injury, Bradford sticks with conservative treatment, Landry gets another week of 1st team snaps. Hopefully we beat tulsa by at least 15. Week 3 (post injury), is a bye week. Landry gets another week of snaps. Bradford continues with therapy. Coaches get a better feel for Bradford's injury. Miami gm is roughly 10 days away, and is 30 days from the injury. Coaches may decide Landry with 4 full weeks of reps with first team, that Bradford stays very conservative, and we can beat Miami. Then, we get him back in the rotation mix 32 days after the injury and the week of Baylor. Again, home game. Gives SB 2 weeks of reps and practice before Texas and over 40 days since the injury.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 11:32 AM
Lets figure out this timeline. Bradford doesn't pick up a ball this week, only rehabs. Landry gets all the first team reps, hopefully we still beat idaho st by 30. Next week, 9 days after the injury, Bradford sticks with conservative treatment, Landry gets another week of 1st team snaps. Hopefully we beat tulsa by at least 15. Week 3 (post injury), is a bye week. Landry gets another week of snaps. Bradford continues with therapy. Coaches get a better feel for Bradford's injury. Miami gm is roughly 10 days away, and is 30 days from the injury. Coaches may decide Landry with 4 full weeks of reps with first team, that Bradford stays very conservative, and we can beat Miami. Then, we get him back in the rotation mix 32 days after the injury and the week of Baylor. Again, home game. Gives SB 2 weeks of reps and practice before Texas and over 40 days since the injury.

Two weeks of reps should be perfect if he is almost 100%.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 11:33 AM
I hope it is true.

OUMedMan
9/7/2009, 11:52 AM
Send Sam to Colorado for his treatment.

They seem to have an excellent track record in returning star quarterbacks with shoulder injuries to action.

After all, if Sam isn't back in three weeks after this report, it must be the doctor's fault, right?

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 12:06 PM
Send Sam to Colorado for his treatment.

They seem to have an excellent track record in returning star quarterbacks with shoulder injuries to action.

After all, if Sam isn't back in three weeks after this report, it must be the doctor's fault, right?

Huh? Not what I was saying, not sure what your point is. Anyways, a guy with ostensibily a more severe sprain was back, performing at a high level in 3 weeks. I say we give Sam 5. Back for Baylor and Texas. If his rehab is going very well, back for Miami. That's 4 weeks. His injury may be worse, but who knows at this point? Like I said, this thread gives you a parallel and a reason for hope.

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 04:03 PM
Thoughts on my timeline? SB starts taking meaningful practice snaps 32 days from the injury, maybe the week before. THat could work.

yermom
9/7/2009, 04:16 PM
all i get from that story is a best case scenario

maybe they thought Klatt's injury was worse than it was? maybe Bradford's is worse?

i'm sure Sam will do what's best for him. maybe he can be back in 2 weeks, maybe he can't. you can't really base one person's injury on another in any concrete way

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 04:36 PM
Klatt was back practicing 17 days after the injury. Threw for 400 21 days after the injury. I don't think its unreasonable to to shoot to bring SB back to practice 32 days(almost 5 weeks) after receiving a sprained shoulder in a football game. SB is tough, will work hard, and will be motivated.

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 05:58 PM
Someone give me some props on this

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 07:26 PM
htownsooner7:

Do you know whether or not Klatt had surgery?

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 07:32 PM
Right now we’re looking at ? most people with these AC sprains have been two to four weeks in recovery and everyone is different in how they heal, how the soreness (subsides), how they handle it and how quickly it dissipates and where he can move and be comfortable again throwing the ball. But two to four weeks is what they’re anticipating.

We’re still waiting on one opinion tomorrow, but all those that have been in that two to four weeks have obviously been non-surgical and that’s what it’s looking like and that’s what the consensus of opinions have been to this point.

Obviously he’ll be out the next couple of weeks and then we have a bye week. You’re going to ask me when, we’ll see. We’ll see how he progresses to know when we can expect him back. The rest of the joint looks to be, from what they’ve said, everything around it, the collar bone, the rotator cuff, everything looks fine. So that’s where that’s at and we’ll see where it goes. Anything further than that, we’ll update people.

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 07:40 PM
htownsooner7:

Do you know whether or not Klatt had surgery?

Klatt did not have surgery, just rehabbed. Not saying he was great, but he certainly came back and battled.

Okie35
9/7/2009, 07:40 PM
Interesting htown, thanks for the post. Nice to have a positive thought in our minds...
because if you all are like me I'm still a little shaken up about the thought of Sam missing more than even the Idaho State game.

The way it looked the other night, we will struggle tremendously against Tulsa if Sam isn't back. And certainly we will have a tough one playing at miami if Sam isn't playing. Let's hope I'm wrong. Let's hope that if Landry has to play an extended period of time, let's hope he gets proper O-Line protection and can lead us to victories.
(just re-read what I typed, wow that was a lot of "let's hope")

You do realize we're not Tulane right?!... Landry Jones will be fine the next 4 games. I promise you. I'm also tired of ppl underestimating the defense like they can't carry the team for most of the game. We all know Landry isn't Sam but who's to say Landry can't play like Sam did his RS Freshman year.

yermom
9/7/2009, 07:46 PM
Tulsa's not Tulane either ;)

Okie35
9/7/2009, 07:50 PM
Tulsa's not Tulane either ;)

Tulsa isn't Norman either.

Okie35
9/7/2009, 07:56 PM
Let me re-phrase that H.A. Chapman Stadium isn't Oklahoma Memorial

htownsooner7
9/7/2009, 07:59 PM
Tulsa isn't Norman either.

I was actually impressed with Tulsa's showing. In any event, Landry will continually improve. What needs drastic improvement is the O line. Not that they will matter against Tulsa, but will the rest of the year.

rainiersooner
9/7/2009, 11:28 PM
IMHO, if Sam's injury was less serious I think we would have heard about it by now.

I had a grade 2 AC injury and it wasn't right for six weeks. Not putting any stress on the injured area was a challenge because of simple things like getting in and out of bed, rolling over in bed, brushing teeth, tying shoes -- any number of things we take for granted when we're healthy. Unlike me, on the backside of Sam's convalescence period he has to be able to sling a football around with an arm that hasn't done much of anything for weeks.

Yeah dude, but you're a total chick and he is the MAN.

Just kidding. ;)

Okie35
9/7/2009, 11:30 PM
I was actually impressed with Tulsa's showing. In any event, Landry will continually improve. What needs drastic improvement is the O line. Not that they will matter against Tulsa, but will the rest of the year.

Sam will be back in 5-6 weeks tops. I say that because although the article says 2-3 weeks the doctors during his rehab process may say otherwise. So I said a comfortably 5-6 weeks probably after Baylor.

westcoast_sooner
9/7/2009, 11:42 PM
Assuming Sam doesn't have to have surgery, he should be back by the Texas game. What this does, IMO is help the team in two ways. First it gives Landry good solid reps with the line he'll have next year. He'll grow into more of a leader and learn the Offense in game situations.

Second, this year, it gives the WRs some opportunity to come around and get a little better. Timing may need to be adjusted when Sam comes back, but overall, the receiving corps should be better when Sam comes back than they were Saturday.

Bottom line is that 2009 is going to be tough. Guys gonna gave to step way up - and do it now.

Okie35
9/8/2009, 12:11 AM
Assuming Sam doesn't have to have surgery, he should be back by the Texas game. What this does, IMO is help the team in two ways. First it gives Landry good solid reps with the line he'll have next year. He'll grow into more of a leader and learn the Offense in game situations.

Second, this year, it gives the WRs some opportunity to come around and get a little better. Timing may need to be adjusted when Sam comes back, but overall, the receiving corps should be better when Sam comes back than they were Saturday.

Bottom line is that 2009 is going to be tough. Guys gonna gave to step way up - and do it now.

If Landry is doing well w/ the team being 4-1 and Sam is back the week before Texas Id rather see Landry start. I mean seriously no offense but you never know what could happen if he's not fully recovered.