PDA

View Full Version : Set up my Sooner Library Saturday night

stoopified
9/7/2009, 08:26 AM
after the game .Wemoved to Moore in January and I just hadn't got around to it.Late Saturday night,early Sunday morning( at 330 AM ) I couldn't sleep for some reason and finally got my books out and organized.I have in my collection :
SOONER -chronicling the `973 season,featuring Tinker

THE SOONERS -history of OU football from 1895-1975

TALES FROM THE SOONER SIDELINES- anecdotes and behind thescenes stories

SOONER CENTURY-OU football history from 1895-1995

ROAD TO GLORY-Heupel autobiography

THE WINNING EDGE- chronicles 1975 team and the rules of winning football called the winning edge.

ROCK SOLID-Calmus autobography

PRELUDE TO GREATNESS-chronicles OU under Boo and Bob's arrival

THE UNDEFEATED- controversial BUT interesting book about THE STREAK

FORTY-SEVEN STRAIGHT-much less flamboyant stories about THE STREAK

SOONER GAMEDAY-assorted stories from OU's near past

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A SOONER-stories often personal from past, present players and coaches

BOOTLEGGERS BOY- Barry's autobiography,a GREAT READ IMHO

BUD WILKINSON+biography

I REMEMBER BUD-biography

RUNNING WITH THE BIG DOGS-OU- UT stories

1985 SOONERS-stories of that team and Championship

THE 100 GREATEST SOONERS-stories of top 100 players

OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL ENCYCLOPEDIA- History and facts from OU football history

NO 1 BETTER- 2000 season

SOONER PRIDE- 2004 season

SI PERFECT-2000 season

OKLAHOMA FOOTBAALLL -WINNGEST TEAM OF THE SEVENTIES

HEIR TO THE SOONER LEGACY-2000 season/ Bob Stoops

THEN BUD SAID TO BARRY WHO TOLD BOB- my newest book,haven't read it yet.

AN AUTMN REMBERED- the Bud years

OKLAHOMA KICKOFF-covers the first 50 years of OU football

SOONERS HANDBOOK- book of facts ,trivia

DIE-HARD FANS GUIDE TO OU FOOTBALL- self explanatory

PRESIDENTS CAN'T PUNT-OU football frm president Cross' viewpoint

OKLAHOMA FOOTBALL TRIVIA CHALLENGE - brain teasers

I also have MEDIA GUIDES from 1987-2009 in my collection.I found an OU media guide for sale in a convenience store in 1987 and have bought them from OU ever since.Does anyone know of any OU football books I don't have?Iam always looking to expand my collection.

I also have a collection of around 200 Sooners Illustrateds dating back to the '80's .

MY SI collection includes around 20 Sooner cover issues among which are a 1955 Wilkinson cover issue and the INFAMOUS WHY WILKINSONS SOONERS ARE UNBEATABLE cover issue from 1957.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 09:11 AM
Is that Bootlegger's Boy a 1st edition? If so...you should get the King to sign it IMO.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 09:17 AM
Is that Bootlegger's Boy a 1st edition? If so...you should get the King to sign it IMO.IT is and I plan to haunt Patzy's(fvorite Switzer lunch spot) now that I live here in the metro.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 09:19 AM
You should. I've got 2 of them. One of the book's jacket is a bit worn but it's still a treasure.

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 10:34 AM
Man,you've got the goods. I made a list of books I need to by from yours.

There's a coupla you might be interested in. "When Football Becomes WAR-OU vs. Texas" by Robert Heard. I wouldn't recommend it as it's written by a Austin person & from a Texas perspective. It sucks. I get mad everytime I read anything in it. I'm thinking about putting it on the Porta-potty at work.

A really neat publication is a bigger-than-magazine but smaller-than-book 8 1/2 X 11 publication called "Thirteen Years of Winning Oklahoma Football" about the Bud Wilkinson years. Covers 1947-1959 seasons in great detail. Prepared and edited by Volney Meece and Bill Bryan, who I think worked for the Daily Oklahoman back then. Doesn't have a date,but I think I musta came by mine in early 1970's.

John Bell (Chapter 10 of Dent's "Undefeated" ) is writing about his playing days at OU...never played in a losing game as he was within the 47 game streak. He was married to All American Max Boydston's sister (Shirley), but she took ill & passed away last year. I think Bell's daughters are helping him write/edit, and I think I heard him say he hoped to have the manuscript done before year's end.

Who wrote?

I Remember Bud

What it Means to e a Sooner

An Autumn Remembered

MyT Oklahoma
9/7/2009, 11:43 AM
IT is and I plan to haunt Patzy's(fvorite Switzer lunch spot) now that I live here in the metro.

I need to forward my copy to you to do the same thing. LOL

This is a great collection. Job well done.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 11:47 AM
Man,you've got the goods. I made a list of books I need to by from yours.

There's a coupla you might be interested in. "When Football Becomes WAR-OU vs. Texas" by Robert Heard. I wouldn't recommend it as it's written by a Austin person & from a Texas perspective. It sucks. I get mad everytime I read anything in it. I'm thinking about putting it on the Porta-potty at work.

A really neat publication is a bigger-than-magazine but smaller-than-book 8 1/2 X 11 publication called "Thirteen Years of Winning Oklahoma Football" about the Bud Wilkinson years. Covers 1947-1959 seasons in great detail. Prepared and edited by Volney Meece and Bill Bryan, who I think worked for the Daily Oklahoman back then. Doesn't have a date,but I think I musta came by mine in early 1970's.

John Bell (Chapter 10 of Dent's "Undefeated" ) is writing about his playing days at OU...never played in a losing game as he was within the 47 game streak. He was married to All American Max Boydston's sister (Shirley), but she took ill & passed away last year. I think Bell's daughters are helping him write/edit, and I think I heard him say he hoped to have the manuscript done before year's end.

Who wrote?

I Remember Bud

An Autumn RememberedThanks,I do recall looking at the book WHEN FOOTBALL BECOMES WAR and thinking that is was wful slanted when I scanned it,I'm thinking almost 30 years ago?I will try to find the other on Amazon.

I Remember Bud was written by Mike Towle

what it Means to be a Sooner was written by Jeff Snook

An Autmn Remembered was written by Gary T. King

MyT Oklahoma
9/7/2009, 11:48 AM
Who wrote?

I Remember Bud

An Autumn Remembered

"I Remember Bud" = I don't know.

"What it Means to be a Sooner" = Jeff Snook.

"An Autumn Remembered" = Gary T. King.

And don't forget to add "Annual Madness" (OU/Texas) by Bill Cromarte when you can.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 03:06 PM
"I Remember Bud" = I don't know.

"What it Means to be a Sooner" = Jeff Snook.

"An Autumn Remembered" = Gary T. King.

And don't forget to add "Annual Madness" (OU/Texas) by Bill Cromarte when you can.Just found Anual Madness on Amazon and bought it,Thanks MyT
Sooner70 I tried find the 13 Years of Winning football but no luck.Thanks for the tip though.

I forgot a book that should be on my list-Oklahoma Football Vault.The book itself is unspectacular in writing.What makes it worth buying is all the little collectibles that come with the book.There are sevearl little postcard size reproductions of program covers or tickets.IMHO the coolest thing is a copy of a letter from J.A. Harts to OU dated 1942. John A. Harts(Jack ) was OUr first coach in 1895.In the letter he thanks OU for crediting him with starting our fine football team. Harts was apparently an executive with a company in California in 1942.I think that is so cool.I wonder if he lived to see what Wilkinson did with the Sooners in the '50s?

MyT Oklahoma
9/7/2009, 05:54 PM
Ya know one can never really have too much Sooner trivia. Otherwise something important about our past will always be forgotton.

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Stoopified, all. I'll see if I can get those,

Did Port Robertson write anything? If he didn't, he should've. He was a fixture for OU FB in those Great Wilkinson years and after awhile. He'd have some good insight & stories.

Oh yeah...I almost forgot.....Coach Wilkinson wrote two booklets.....one was called "Offensive Football", and the other "Defensive Football". I've got those things somewhere. They're not full book size.... I think maybe they're like 5 X 7 or something. Anyway, I recall the thing he said that really stuck was something to the effect your best athletes should go on the defensive team. Why? They have to react. The offensive players know what's supposed to happen.