PDA

View Full Version : Sam and Jermaine will decide the treatment of their injuries.

adoniijahsooner
9/7/2009, 07:08 AM
According to Kevin Wilson. I think it hurts Sam's draft stock tremendously if he doesnt come back and play this year. Durability questions will run rampant come draft time. If JG decides to take some season ending procedure, I dont see it lowering his stock. What do you guys think?

http://www.normantranscript.com/ousports/local_story_250011521

By John Shinn

Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said Sunday there has been no update to the shoulder injury suffered by quarterback Sam Bradford since Saturday night's loss to BYU in Arlington, Texas.

"We're pursuing every option of rehab and timelines and estimates of what's in their best interest," Wilson said.

Bradford suffered a Acromioclavicular (AC) joint sprain late in the first half Saturday when he was driven to the turf by BYU linebacker Coleby Clawson. Bradford was knocked out of the game and spent the second half with ice on his shoulder and his right arm in a sling.

The loss of last year's Heisman Trophy winner left the Sooners without two All-American players against the Cougars. Tight end Jermaine Gresham didn't play due to a knee injury he suffered in the days leading up to Saturday's game.

Wilson said the coaching staff should know more about the prognosis for both today.

"Those are two tremendous players with bright futures. We want to make sure their best interest is taken into consideration," he said. "There's no rush, there's no judgments. We're pursuing every resource that (head trainer) Scott Anderson and our medical staff can do to present to those kids and their families and to Coach Stoops."

In Bradford's case, AC joint injuries are judged in grades. If the injury is one of a low grade variety and doesn't require surgery, Bradford could be back on the field in less than a month.

The Sooners' upcoming schedule is Idaho State Saturday at Owen Field, Tulsa (Sept. 19) and at Miami (Oct. 3).

Gresham's diagnosis is similar. He has torn cartilage in his right knee. If the injury doesn't require surgery, he would return to the field sooner rather than later.

However, Bradford and Gresham both have special circumstances. Both were projected as first-round picks in last season's NFL draft, but decided to return to school this season.

They both have to weigh how the treatment of their injuries could affect their draft stock for next spring.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 07:14 AM
According to Kevin Wilson. I think it hurts Sam's draft stock tremendously if he doesnt come back and play this year. Durability questions will run rampant come draft time. If JG decides to take some season ending procedure, I dont see it lowering his stock. What do you guys think?

http://www.normantranscript.com/ousports/local_story_250011521Sam could solve his draft questions by coming back for his senior season and having a great injury-free year.Gresham has to do what is best for him and while I hope that means playing tthis year I wish him nothing but the best in football and life if his college career is finished.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 07:45 AM
I'm gonna wait to chime in on Sam until we actually know more.

Gresham. It's different for a TE...I think he'll get drafted and the combines will settle on how high.

Aries
9/7/2009, 07:50 AM
Well, if Sam does not play this year and declares for the next draft, NFL teams would be very reluctant to draft him without knowing how well his shoulder has healed. He'd be lucky to be drafted higher than than the 6-7 round, if at all.

But... I would think a medical red-shirt for this year would be nearly a certainty, and he'd have two years of eligibility left? He'd almost have to come back to OU at least next year. If he plays half of this season, it doesn't necessarily hurt his draft projection that much, assuming he throws as well as he did last year.

If Gresham doesn't play again this year at all, then yes... it absolutely, definitely will hurt his draft projection.

RedstickSooner
9/7/2009, 08:10 AM
So... Anyone think we'll ever have another player forego the draft and come back to play for us?

Sheesh.

TXBOOMER
9/7/2009, 08:31 AM
F all of those draft questions about Sam. He will be back in 2 - 4 weeks. I've seen many QB's with grade 3 AC joint sprains miss two weeks and come back for the third week. He is tough and will do the same if it in fact is a sprain.

Jock Ewing
9/7/2009, 08:54 AM
You usually have to miss two seasons due to injury to get a medical redshirt. Missing one due to injury and taking a regular redshirt another season usually won't get you a medical.

colleyvillesooner
9/7/2009, 09:01 AM
Well, if Sam does not play this year and declares for the next draft, NFL teams would be very reluctant to draft him without knowing how well his shoulder has healed. He'd be lucky to be drafted higher than than the 6-7 round, if at all.

But... I would think a medical red-shirt for this year would be nearly a certainty, and he'd have two years of eligibility left? He'd almost have to come back to OU at least next year. If he plays half of this season, it doesn't necessarily hurt his draft projection that much, assuming he throws as well as he did last year.

If Gresham doesn't play again this year at all, then yes... it absolutely, definitely will hurt his draft projection.

6-7 round? Umm. Ok

ashley
9/7/2009, 09:03 AM
Does not hurt his status at all.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 09:17 AM

Kind of an open statement though.

Hurt or will he not even get a look?

I'd say it just depends on the outcome of his rehab and how he performs in trials. The guy just has a way about him on the field. He's NFL Caliber until proven otherwise IMO.

JLEW1818
9/7/2009, 10:07 AM
Willis McGahee

remember him???

tore his ACL in the national title game in Janurary (2003). Got drafted in the first round that April.

Do you know who is agent was?
Drew Rosenhaus

sure they guy is a jackass, but he promised him, he would get Willis drafted in the first round.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 10:09 AM
Kind of an open statement though.

Hurt or will he not even get a look?

I'd say it just depends on the outcome of his rehab and how he performs in trials. The guy just has a way about him on the field. He's NFL Caliber until proven otherwise IMO.

The coaches have stated that they know that it isn't season ending. A good guess is 3-4 weeks. It's Sam's injury we should worry about.