PDA

View Full Version : IF Sam is out a extended period or for the season

stoopified
9/6/2009, 06:52 PM
what do you see for this season?I hate to ask this BUT it feels like the 10000pound crimson gorilla in the room and nobody wants to talk about it.

If Sam misses more than a couple of weeks I think we could be looking at a tough season.I DO think that with 1st team reps Landry will play better ,BUT he is not Sam.I think if Landry is forced to lead us the rest ofthe season. we are in trouble vs. UM, UT,Nebraska,oSu, KU.By no means am I saying we will lose all those games ,however I do feel our chances are diminished at winning these games.

I am not laying this ALL on Landry.With hew recievers and a line that at least for the moment appears shaky,I think lack of experience is Jones' biggest detriment.A vteran like Sam I think can handle that increased pressure but a redshirt frosh like Landry?He basically would have to respond like Sam did as a redshirt frosh and Sam had the best freshman season in OU history.

Now that I have vented my worst case fears, I am hoping Sam is back in a couple of weeks which seems to be best case scenario.

Okie35
9/6/2009, 06:54 PM
with Landry we could win the next 4 games ... and I'm being dead serious. Yes, even the Miami game the bye will be helpful. The defense will carry the team anyway.

SoonerFah
9/6/2009, 06:57 PM
With exception to the delay of game penalty, I think Landry Jones played pretty well last night, all things considered. I may be in the minority, but quarterback was the least of our problems last night. Hopefully we get some receivers to step it up, and we lean on the ground game, which was supposed to be our strong suit anyways.

Do I want to rely on a redshirt freshman QB? Not really, but if he's what we got, then lets get behind him, and let him be the player we recruited him here to be.

soonermix
9/6/2009, 07:00 PM
to be honest sam should be getting his *** kicked behind the lions OL instead of ours.

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, we had a RS freshman before who turned out to be pretty darn good

A-M
9/6/2009, 07:04 PM
With exception to the delay of game penalty, I think Landry Jones played pretty well last night, all things considered. I may be in the minority, but quarterback was the least of our problems last night. Hopefully we get some receivers to step it up, and we lean on the ground game, which was supposed to be our strong suit anyways.

Do I want to rely on a redshirt freshman QB? Not really, but if he's what we got, then lets get behind him, and let him be the player we recruited him here to be.

You have some good points here. Even when Sam was in, we weren't doing all that well. Should have had 7 points and not 3 just before half, but we hurt ourselves way too many times. Those little yellow rags kept kept showing up on the gound and that really did hurt us.

TXBOOMER
9/6/2009, 07:06 PM
I hope he will be ready after Tulsa. There are 5 or 6 games that we could possibly lose without him.

oupride
9/6/2009, 07:08 PM
with Landry we could win the next 4 games ... and I'm being dead serious. Yes, even the Miami game the bye will be helpful. The defense will carry the team anyway.
agree

SoonerFah
9/6/2009, 07:09 PM
I hope he will be ready after Tulsa. There are 5 or 6 games that we could possibly lose without him.

If we play collectively the way we did last night, we may not win those games with Sam in there. The good news is that this team generally improves as the season goes along each year... at least until bowl games get here.:(

Sooner Among The Pack
9/6/2009, 07:28 PM
I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't rush Sam (or Jermaine) back.

The OL must improve or we are facing a 4 or 5 loss season. I also think we could win at Miami with Landry IF the OL gets their act together.

I agree, Landy played well last night all things considered, penalties and turnovers cost us that game, not the QB play (though having Sam back there would have been enough).

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 07:47 PM
if Sam is out for the season, we go 10-3

sooneron
9/6/2009, 07:53 PM
if Sam is out for the season, we go 10-3

:confused:

8-5

we lose the bowl game

Okla-homey
9/6/2009, 07:56 PM
...speaking of 9000 lb. gorillas in the room no one is mentioning, if he's out for the season, you guys think Sam would take a medical redshirt if one were available?

I'd sure advise him against it if I was someone he asked for advice, but waddayall think?

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 07:58 PM
If Sam was in the habit of asking me for advice he'd be getting paid to get hit like that.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 07:59 PM
:confused:

8-5

we lose the bowl game

with 4 losses, we would end up in the Holiday bowl or something... I think we would win the bowl game...

stoopified
9/6/2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, we had a RS freshman before who turned out to be pretty darn good
That is true BUT you are talking about the best redshirt freshman QB in OU history.Can we REALLY expect Landry to play at that level? I'm afraid he will be closer to Blowmar than Sam.Of course that doesn't mean he won't be BETTER than Rhatt Blowmar.

jiew If we have to play without Sam I will take 10-3,as long as we DON'T lose to T.Boone State.Hopefully Sam will be back in two weeks and this will all be academic.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 08:01 PM
Win a bowl game?

The hell you say!

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 08:01 PM
I say Sam and Gresham are back for Miami

God owes us

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 08:08 PM
Landry is going to need to work on reading those plays and getting to the line quicker.

He also needs receivers that he can count on so he doesn't have to check off so many guys.

Not having Gresham there as a go to guy hurts. Ratterree is going to need to step up for Jones IMO.

We can't bobble balls either.

Also...the Offense changes dramatically without Landry making long throws. The defenses we'll see down the road will go after him if he can't make those throws IMO.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 08:13 PM
yup, having Gresham on the field, changes everything... do those defensive players really want to blitz with a Gresham in the middle?

soonervegas
9/6/2009, 08:16 PM
The defense will carry us? The same one that failed to do so last night?

If Sam is out for an extended period of time (I.e. Longer than Texas) if could be a rough year by Sooner standards, I.e. 7-5.

The silver lining is all the experience this group will get with Landry headed into 2010.

But you will be hard pressed to find a game this year where "the defense wins it for us"....just saying. That's not how they roll.....

Okla-homey
9/6/2009, 08:35 PM

If Sam is out for an extended period of time (I.e. Longer than Texas) if could be a rough year by Sooner standards, I.e. 7-5.

The silver lining is all the experience this group will get with Landry headed into 2010.

But you will be hard pressed to find a game this year where "the defense wins it for us"....just saying. That's not how they roll.....

I'm not so sure. The season before last, I watched an Auburn team with no offense, I mean nadda, defeat Arkie in Fayetteville with a dominating D. And that was when Arkie had that phenom RB. I think the final score was Auburn 3 - Arkie 0.

stoopified
9/6/2009, 08:55 PM

But you will be hard pressed to find a game this year where "the defense wins it for us"....just saying. That's not how they roll.....In fairness that D did their job.They held a good(not great )BYU offense with a Heisman contender QB to 14 points.I haven't looked it up but I am fairly certain this is the ONLY game OU has lost in Stoops tenure at OUgiving up only 14.The closest other game I can recall is losing when giving up 16 to OSU in 16-13 loss.IN other words IF OU had held every foe to 14 or fewer points OU would be 132-2 under Bob..BYU only gained 28 yards rushing,the D forced THREE turnovers,recorded FIVE sacks.

I'm not saying this is a world-beating D but improved over last year obviously. BTW when was the last time we held a D-1 team to 14 or fewer points?.The Cougars only had one point producing sustained drive against us aand that came late aginst an exhausted unit.I saw McCoy tap his helmet for relief at LEAST twice on that last drive, and he wasn't the only one signalling for a break.I don't know IF anyone slse got a rest on that last drive but Gerald didn't.

IF the D can play like that the rest of the year it could carry us. The problem is we MUST get more than 265 yards and 13 points a game.

rainiersooner
9/6/2009, 10:24 PM
I'm not so sure. The season before last, I watched an Auburn team with no offense, I mean nadda, defeat Arkie in Fayetteville with a dominating D. And that was when Arkie had that phenom RB. I think the final score was Auburn 3 - Arkie 0.

As opposed to Auburn 3 - Arkie 14.

I believed that the defense would win games for us this year. And, actually, I still think they will. But, I think if that is going to happen our bend don't break philosophy may need to be tweaked.

GottaHavePride
9/6/2009, 10:39 PM
BYU beat us on time of possession by 14 minutes. 14 MINUTES

And we STILL only lost by one. The D did their job. The O couldn't move the ball. We were 2-11 on 3rd down, had 150 fewer yards passing than BYU and lost 2 fumbles.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 10:41 PM
how many turnovers did we get, 4?

Okie35
9/6/2009, 10:43 PM

The defense played well... the defense can carry us against Idaho State and a Tulsa team thats no better than BYU... Miami is different but I'm sure Jacory Harris mistakes and the fact he has no back-ups will help. I was talking about those 3 games no more no less. Now if you don't think our defense is even that good enough don't even call yourself a fan.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 10:45 PM
would have been nice to play Idaho St week 1

Okie35
9/6/2009, 11:00 PM
would have been nice to play Idaho St week 1

Yea I said that in another thread too the offense would've been crisper and everything.... I'm sure jitters would've been gone too. Oh well what happens happened but I know Landry could get it done the next 3 games.

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 11:06 PM
The defense played well... the defense can carry us against Idaho State and a Tulsa team thats no better than BYU... Miami is different but I'm sure Jacory Harris mistakes and the fact he has no back-ups will help. I was talking about those 3 games no more no less. Now if you don't think our defense is even that good enough don't even call yourself a fan.

No way can we compare BYU to Tulsa and Idaho St. BYU is much better than those 2 teams.

Okie35
9/6/2009, 11:11 PM
No way can we compare BYU to Tulsa and Idaho St. BYU is much better than those 2 teams.

EXACTLY

prrriiide
9/6/2009, 11:17 PM
Landry is way down the list of concerns at the moment. He showed a lot of poise and promise given the situation.

The first priority is getting our OL to look like something besides the Keystone Kops. That was the most embarrassing line play I have seen from any team in 35 years of watching football. How is it that the 5-A high school up the street from me has a more discliplined OL than OU? It was a disgrace.

Next on the list is to find out if our coaching staff has ever heard of an in-game adjustment. Specifically how to deal with a linebacker blitz. How many times did they bring that blitz before Sam got hurt? How many times did Clawson hit Landry with that blitz up the middle? Not adjusting to pick it up was inexcusable. When BYU discovered that we had no answer for it, they ran it at will.

And a quick note to our receivers: when Teabag did the gator chomp at Nic Harris in the NCG, he wasn't showing you the proper pass-catching technique.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 11:18 PM
Landry is way down the list of concerns at the moment. He showed a lot of poise and promise given the situation.

The first priority is getting our OL to look like something besides the Keystone Kops. That was the most embarrassing line play I have seen from any team in 35 years of watching football. How is it that the 5-A high school up the street from me has a more discliplined OL than OU? It was a disgrace.

Next on the list is to find out if our coaching staff has ever heard of an in-game adjustment. Specifically how to deal with a linebacker blitz. How many times did they bring that blitz before Sam got hurt? How many times did Clawson hit Landry with that blitz up the middle? Not adjusting to pick it up was inexcusable. When BYU discovered that we had no answer for it, they ran it at will.

[QUOTE]And a quick note to our receivers: when Teabag did the gator chomp at Nic Harris in the NCG, he wasn't showing you the proper pass-catching technique.

:D

Okla-homey
9/7/2009, 07:41 AM

I don't know anything about Potato State, but a Tulsa team that went 9-4 on the year beat BYU in Provo at their last meeting on September 15, 2007.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 07:53 AM
That was the most embarrassing line play I have seen from any team in 35 years of watching football.

You need to throw away them rabbit ears and get a decent provider.

DTV, Dish and AT&T UVerse all are carrying some games you're missing every week.

And a quick note to our receivers: when Teabag did the gator chomp at Nic Harris in the NCG, he wasn't showing you the proper pass-catching technique.

Nic Harris was a receiver? I must have missed some games.

How many times did Clawson hit Landry with that blitz up the middle?

Once I believe. It was right at the beginning of the 2nd half and I don't remember seeing it again.

Nope...I was wrong...it wasn't Claussen. It was Jordan Pendleton. In Landry's 2nd series on 3rd and 9 they came from the right side and he side stepped a grab at his ankles and it was enough pressure that his inexperience caused him to lose focus down field.

SO....

Next on the list is to find out if our coaching staff has ever heard of an in-game adjustment. Specifically how to deal with a linebacker blitz.

Scratch that off your list. :pop:

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 09:25 AM
Folks.....this is when we find out just how good a coach is Bob Stoops--again. Recall the Bomar thing when Paul Thompson was recalled, how OU responded when AD went out......Stoops has shown he can circle the wagons, come up with a plan and be successful in the face of adversity. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here, but we need to see something promising real quickly.

stoopified
11/20/2009, 07:24 PM
I wish I could have got that 10-3 record guarranteed.