PDA

View Full Version : Stick with the Meerkat offense?

OUmillenium
9/6/2009, 06:52 PM
I've read lots of posts complaining about the offense looking to the sideline to get the playcalls. This was a great system last year except for the FL game (14 points, 2 failed possessions inside the 5) and the 4th qtr of the UTerus game.

It definitely looked bad again at the goal line last night.

Should we stick with this style all of the time?

Why not line up at the goal line with a simple play and hammer away. We should be as talented as any team in the country...right?

Your thoughts please...

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 06:53 PM
Meerkat offense...

....that's funny. :D

Dan Thompson
9/6/2009, 07:03 PM
I think sometime we should go up to the line and snap the ball, do a Tebow jump pass over the middle.

OR have 3 TEs on the wide side of the field, run the option with Murray behind the TEs and maybe a pull lineman.

RedstickSooner
9/7/2009, 12:59 PM
Please, by all that is Holy, someone give us a good fark of our Meerkat offense.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 01:11 PM
You win this contest of life for the "meerkat offense" comment.

My vote...never again in the red zone.

TahoeSOONER
9/7/2009, 01:24 PM
Yes, stick with the no huddle because it doesn't allow teams to subsitute on defense but during goalline situations just line them up and pound the ball. If everyone knows your gong to run just line up the ball and run, you should be able to get two yards with these backs.

SoonerLB
9/7/2009, 02:55 PM
Thank you OUmillenum! I'd like to see the painfully slow playcalling disappear down a hole, just like a Meerkat! :)

soonervegas
9/7/2009, 03:04 PM
Awesome.

I think anytime OU is inside the 5 that they have plays already in the pocket for 1st and 2nd down that they can run quickly. If you want to meerkat on 3rd down so be it.

UteSooner
9/7/2009, 03:24 PM
Am I the only one that thought (being his 3rd year running the offense) Sam would be doing those changes at the line himself?

Do college players ever get to that point?

soonerP_A_C
9/7/2009, 03:41 PM
I like the whole 'Meerkat' offense thing. I plan to use that term soon and often. i"ll give you credit, though...

LawtonBoy74
9/7/2009, 03:50 PM
Meerkat is great for tempo but when we get inside the 5 we really should huddle up...from there I dont care what we do we can line up in a goaline formation and pound it/playaction or we can line up in 5 wide and run a screen... I just want us to huddle up inside the 5 so we dont have a debacle like Saturday night

GottaHavePride
9/7/2009, 03:55 PM
Am I the only one that thought (being his 3rd year running the offense) Sam would be doing those changes at the line himself?

Do college players ever get to that point?

Josh Heupel did.

stoopified
9/7/2009, 03:57 PM
Meerkat huh? I guess somebody watchs Animal Planet. :)

sooner ngintunr
9/7/2009, 04:07 PM
A gaytor on here last year was when I first heard it. He didn't call it Meerkat offense, He said our offense looked like Meerkat Manor inside the 5.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2558948&postcount=6

I thought it was kind of funny, even coming from a gaytor.

It obviously does us a disservice inside the 5. IMO

SoonerLB
9/7/2009, 04:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/Meerkatoffensewaits.jpg

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 05:11 PM
I think we could be a bit more Prairie dogish.

http://mentalfloss.cachefly.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/440prairiedog.jpg

OUmillenium
9/7/2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the props but I heard "Meerkat" from my B-in-law. He doesn't say much but when he does it is gold. I'm sure he knew that term would appeal to my smart A/evil genius intellect...and he was right.

A lot of callers on the commercial animal are bringing up the idea of playing more smashmouth football on the goal line rather than the "hurry up and take forever to get the play in."

goingoneight
9/7/2009, 06:30 PM
Let's just get back into a huddle and risk delay of game and never be able to take advantage of defensive players being out of alignment again.

Sooner70
9/7/2009, 06:48 PM
OUmillenium. This Meerkat thing is great. I've been trying to figure out what to call it.

I couldn't agree more. When one gets inside the 5 yard line, it sure seems to me all this gyrating, delays and under center, no backing up away from center, no changing the play, no looking to the sidelines is a distracting bunch of crap. It might work better with an experienced OL, but these guys are already skittish and this type of stuff is nothing but a distraction. The lineman has to be thinking "....wonder when the ball will get snapped....". I'm not sure even the QB or center knows. OU looked like Ned in the First Grade inside the red zone at BYU.....Kevin Wilson and company need to get their act together. All that commotion is useless.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 06:57 PM
We have come a long way since the Leach Days in Norman...

http://www.motivationpics.com/images/cyborg_pirate_ninja_jesus.jpg

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2009, 09:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/barn9/Meerkatoffensewaits.jpg

Freakin awesome!!! Thanks for the laugh:D

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2009, 09:16 PM
But Kevin Wilson is an offensive genius that can't do anything wrong; surely the Meerkat offense can't be a bad thing? :)

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 09:39 PM
But Kevin Wilson is an offensive genius

I can get you an autograph if you want. I didn't realize you were so passionate about him. :D

tulsaoilerfan
9/8/2009, 10:08 PM
I can get you an autograph if you want. I didn't realize you were so passionate about him. :D

Nah, but thanks for the offer ST :D