PDA

View Full Version : Receivers

Toronto Sooner
9/6/2009, 04:05 PM
Any thoughts on the receivers?

I've always liked Caleb and Miller. I've always considered Caleb to be reliable (even with limited touches) - he made some nice catches last year. I've always felt Miller has potential to be a monster. I thought they were both bright stops in last night's game. I remember all of Caleb's 4 catches and both of Miller's catches.

On the flipside, Tennell has never impressed me in previous years. I thought things would change this year, due to all the praises he has been getting from the coaches. I know it's only one game, but his drops drove me crazy last night. I hope it's just a confidence issue that can be overcome with a few catches. We need him to step up this year.

L. Jones should try to exploit Miller's height over the next couple of games. With Gresham being out, Jones needs to ride Miller in a Gresham type role - 5 to 10 yard high passes to Miller (over DBs) and then Miller should plow smaller defenders over. Jones needs to use Caleb, Miller, Broyles and Murray as security blankets - every second play should be a pass to one of those guys if necessary, until Laundry gets his confidence up (5 to 10 yards passes to those guys should become staple plays in the offense right now). He will need to try some deep passes also, to stretch the field.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 04:09 PM
This is going to help us next year with Landry getting this many snaps.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 04:09 PM
Yes. Checkout this post by AuroraSooner.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2693841&postcount=46

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 04:15 PM
This is going to help us next year with Landry getting this many snaps.

I agree this is definitely a blessing in disguise, because lets say hypothetically that Samn never got hurt and if Sam leaves after this year and Landry would have never gotten real signifacant playing time it would be a disaster for the 2010-2011 season

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 04:17 PM
we really just gotta let OUr WR's have a game against Idaho St, let them gain some confidence.. should build from that.

one good thing i must admit is, this was just week 1... we will make a ton of adjustments after we watch film.. too bad we couldn't pull out the W

week 1 is usually a teams sloppiest week, by far

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 04:17 PM
I agree this is definitely a blessing in disguise, because lets say hypothetically that Samn never got hurt and if Sam leaves after this year and Landry would have never gotten real signifacant playing time it would be a disaster for the 2010-2011 season

And you are going to see a better Landry Jones Saturday, I can guarantee that. He got the first game jitters over with and he will be taking the majority of snaps in practice all week and the coaches will be focusing on him. I expect to see a good QB against Idaho State and maybe just maybe he can be great.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 04:19 PM
I agree CK, it must have been hard on him

"The Heisman trophy winner goes down, in Jerry world, the first regular season game ever played there. your team is up 3 points.

You have taking zero college snaps, the offensive line is playing bad, go win a ball game for us Landry

BillyBall
9/6/2009, 04:20 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about how pathetic Adron Tennell played.

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 04:20 PM
Yep even look for Drew Allen to get even more snaps in practice too, because now the coaches realize how vunerable the QBs will be, because of our inexperienced O-line

NOVSooner
9/6/2009, 04:22 PM
looks like we're recovering from last night! caleb certainly was a bright spot, that was good to see. didn't see too much from miller and tennell, do i really need to say anything about his game last night? you said it best, it drove you crazy. i don't recall seeing kenney in there or seeing madu getting too many if any touches. agreed, however, that we need to use an aerial attack solely against id state b/c we need to give landry confidence, the receivers confidence, the o line some time to iron things out, etc. everyone expects us to be 1 dimensional now with the running attack so the more we can air it out in these type games to build on the better we should be...in the end.

CK Sooner
Yep even look for Drew Allen to get even more snaps in practice too, because now the coaches realize how vunerable the QBs will be, because of our inexperienced O-line

I would rather have John Nimmo come in if Landry were to get injured. I have no idea what the coaches think though.

BillyBall
I really like Landry, I saw him play twice in high school and thought that he could step in and play at OU.

The penalties, fumbles and overall lack of discipline was pathetic. It smelled a lot like 2005.

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 04:23 PM
We are just venting about everything on all threads...but Adron did have a rough night..I always thought that his hands are too hard he doesnt show the soft hands and natural catching ability it always looks like hes fighting the ball when he catches.. When we had the thread about who we would miss the most I said Iggy because he had soft hands and would catch almost anything thrown to him he had the best hands I've seen at OU next to Mark Clayton

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 04:24 PM
It smelled a lot like 2005.

exactly

Sooner Schemer
9/6/2009, 04:26 PM
The penalties, fumbles and overall lack of discipline was pathetic. It smelled a lot like 2005.It smelled, alright.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 05:40 PM
I never thought I would miss Chaney

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 05:44 PM
Its Iggy that we miss the most really guys..I mean if we had Iggy Broyles and Caleb we'd be ok...but Tennell is just not that good of a receiver, but he tries hard and he is a good blocker too

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 05:54 PM
did the new guy not even play last night?

westbrooke
9/6/2009, 05:55 PM
Its Iggy that we miss the most really guys..I mean if we had Iggy Broyles and Caleb we'd be ok...but Tennell is just not that good of a receiver, but he tries hard and he is a good blocker too

Good point. Just one reliable place to go with the ball would have been a big blessing for both Sam and Landry. And I didn't even think of it until NOVSooner brought it up: where was Kenney?

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:56 PM
did the new guy not even play last night?

Kenney did not and I do not know why.

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 05:58 PM
yah him...hmmmmm

adoniijahsooner
9/6/2009, 06:00 PM
Good point. Just one reliable place to go with the ball would have been a big blessing for both Sam and Landry. And I didn't even think of it until NOVSooner brought it up: where was Kenney?

The coaches panicked, that's what happens when you are focused on winning a NC; and not able to think about the game in front of you. Tennell would have had to sit, and I would have brought in Miller or Kenney to see if I could get a spark. Plus they never went deep one, not even one time yesterday.

OUbasketball4life
9/6/2009, 07:15 PM
Anybody know why Kenney didn't see the field? Heard so much praise about him and then he doesn't get it?

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 07:16 PM
My thoughts on Tennel is that he was an awesome track athlete and a pretty dang good basketball player.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 07:17 PM
Anybody know why Kenney didn't see the field? Heard so much praise about him and then he doesn't get it?

My guess is KW and the receivers coach forgot he was on the team. ;)