PDA

View Full Version : Just a theory

Jacie
9/6/2009, 11:55 AM
I watched all or parts of three nationally televised games yesterday, all involving preseason Top 25 teams, two where both teams were rated. Despite the outcomes there was a common element in these games.

My premise is that playing a season opener against a capable opponent under the scrutiny of being a televised game brings out the worst in a team.

Observe:

Ohio State, playing in the friendly confines of the Shoe came within a 2-point conversion that went the other way of going into OT with Navy.

O-State, playing before a full stadium of screaming orange clad fans went 27 minutes unable to figure out the Georgia defense, and it was the pokie state defense and special teams that finally put them in position to score.

Alabama had to overcome offensive miscues to rally in the fourth quarter to beat VT.

In games that were not televised nationally because one team was head and shoulders better than the other, Southern Cal, Florida, Texas to name a few, obliterated over-matched competion.

Oklahoma should have done what OUr rivals for the MNC did and played a patsy like Idaho State before taking on a team capable of beating them. The mistakes that plagued the offense throughout the game would not have occurred had OUr guys had a game where early mistakes would not have been costly.

Observe:

Southern Cal fumbled twice early such that they were behind after the first quarter. Eventually, the SC running backs held on long enough to wear down San Jose St.

La. Monroe intercepted Colt McCoy, who was playing into the 4th quarter when the whorns led 52-10. Ponyboy finished the night with seven incompletions, which may be a single-game career high for him. The whorns also lost two fumbles but against the level of competion, it didn't matter. The same could not be said of OUr game.

This game was a mistake made by the Athletic Director who succumbed to the glitz of being in the spotlight instead of focusing on the realities of preparing a team for a 14-game run towards a National title.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 12:01 PM
Good post.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 12:01 PM
This game was a mistake made by the Athletic Director who succumbed to the glitz of being in the spotlight instead of focusing on the realities of preparing a team for a 14-game run towards a National title.

Yep. He's a money guy and I'm sure he regrets negotiating last nights game as an opener.

landrun
9/6/2009, 12:02 PM
I actually like playing the TCU's, BYU's and Cinci's of college football.

If you win, their strength of schedule boosts you into the national championship game at the end of the year.

mehip
9/6/2009, 12:03 PM

No offense but, Hogwash.

Everybody knew the schedule for a long time now and BYU seemed far better prepared and with a better game plan. You can't rationalize stuff like this.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 12:07 PM

If you win, their strength of schedule boosts you into the national championship game at the end of the year.

Agreed but when your Oklahoma...you have the ability to control your opening Games and make sure you get a Home Opener under your belt. Playing last night in Dallas against a decent team was a huge risk. Sam and others took risks coming back to go for a NC and Joe put them in a very risky situation IMO.

Had we won and we'd seen no injuries...we wouldn't even be talking about it.

When you play in a place like last night...you don't have a situation like say we did with Bama. You play us here...we play you there. Notre Dame would love to play us at Jerry World is my guess but Sooner Fans all know they owe us a game in Norman.

Just sayin'

SoonerShay
9/6/2009, 12:10 PM
I have to agree, I was watching the beginning of that USC game. They looked absolutely horrible in the first quarter. Actually losing it 3 to 0. The thing is San Jose State stinks and had no chance to take advantage of the screw ups.

The same with texass and UL Monroe, they gave up 300 yards of offense and 20 points to that horrible team.

You can afford to look like crap against teams like that, because they still have no chance of winning the game anyway. During the course of the game (which is really like a scrimmage) you can work out the kinks and get on track.

We end up learning the hard way though, and even though we have 1 loss, I know we will be a much better team in just a few weeks.

rainiersooner

But I say find a balance for the opener. Schedule the most quality opponent you can that will play ONCE in Norman. I like playing tough OOC games. But the first game of the season there are going to be mistakes. I still have hope for this O-Line, as most of their mistakes were mental (not a lack of talent). But you've got to schedule in a way that gives you a chance to play for the MNC.

StoopTroup
No offense but, Hogwash.

Everybody knew the schedule for a long time now and BYU seemed far better prepared and with a better game plan. You can't rationalize stuff like this.

It's not hogwash.

Sometimes you can buy your way out of games.

Scheduling a gig like last night...no way your gonna get out. It's about money. It would have cost a fortune. It was a trap game with huge risks and we lost.

I'd say Joe C. regrets scheduling it.

No1Better
9/6/2009, 12:13 PM
Too many fundamental mistakes.

Players out of position on several plays, o-line off balance and not able to protect the one guy they absolutely had to protect, bad play calls on both sides of the ball, not preparing Landry Jones for taking the reins, no one stepping up when Sam went down...sigh.

No1Better
9/6/2009, 12:15 PM
If we don't correct several key areas on offense and defense, Miami, tu, nebraska, Kansas and okie state will eat us alive...

SoonerShay
9/6/2009, 12:17 PM
If we don't correct several key areas on offense and defense, Miami, tu, nebraska, Kansas and okie state will eat us alive...

Hey thanx for telling us the obvious, I'm sure there are other threads bitching about just the thing you are though. Your derailing the thread into more of the same. Comment on the subject or just read it.

By the way if you don't think we will get better as the year goes on or even by the 3rd game your looney.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:17 PM
BYU had a pretty tough opening game and they came out of it OK.

Just sayin...

Jacie
9/6/2009, 12:19 PM

Just sayin...

And they made the same kind of mistakes OU did, penalties, fumbles and an INT. The difference was their QB didn't get knocked out of the game or those would have been a factor in their loss rather than items in the Box Score.

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2009, 12:20 PM

Just sayin...

BYU was happy to be there; OU looked like they would have rather been anywhere else BUT there, and that includes the coaching staffs.

SoonerShay
9/6/2009, 12:21 PM

Just sayin...

Yeah they also didn't lose their starting QB during the tough game. Their offense scored 2 touchdowns, they didn't exactly play some awesome game. We just played a worse game than they did, and of course got OUr heisman winning Qb hurt during said game.

RedstickSooner
9/6/2009, 12:21 PM
I don't ever want to see us open with anything other than East Popcorn State, for as long as I live.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:22 PM
We're OU and we're arguing we need to open with a patsy so we can be sure to get a win?

Got it.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:23 PM
...and for those of you arguing the lost the starting QB angle, how had we looked before we lost him?

Jacie
9/6/2009, 12:25 PM
We're OU and we're arguing we need to open with a patsy so we can be sure to get a win?

Got it.

The teams that have a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship did just that . . . except for OU and Alabama.

SoonerShay
9/6/2009, 12:26 PM
...and for those of you arguing the lost the starting QB angle, how had we looked before we lost him?

How did Max Hall look before that touchdown winning drive?

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:27 PM
The teams that have a legitimate shot at winning the National Championship did just that . . . except for OU and Alabama.

I know teams do it, and obviously we'd be better off had we done it, I just don't like the idea that we have to schedule a patsy to be assured a win. I'd like to think we're better than that. Sadly we proved we aren't.

BoomerSooner, esq.

Got it.

Thank You. I dont give a $&#^ who we play the first game of the season. We should be prepared as if it was the NC game.

I like playing a good team early. Unfortunately this year, we had some bad luck combined with a lack of preparation (or maybe just lack of discipline).

Either way, remember, this is the kind of non conference schedule that boosts you in the BCS come december and there is a three way tie in the big 12 south.

Curly Bill
How did Max Hall look before that touchdown winning drive?

What does that have to do with anything in this argument?

Jacie
9/6/2009, 12:28 PM

That is my point . . . Idaho State would not have knocked Bradford down, the OL mistakes would have led to a close quarter or a half instead of a loss, and OU would not be on the outside looking in at this years MNC race after 1 game.

Texas_Longhorn
9/6/2009, 12:38 PM
La. Monroe intercepted Colt McCoy, who was playing into the 4th quarter when the whorns led 52-10. Major Fail. Texas intercepted a pass with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. The score was 45-10 and McCoy was the quarterback. That drive ended at 14:56 left in the 4th quarter with a td run by Texas. Coach Brown, when the game is obviously won, pulls Colt on the last drive in the 3rd quarter, but if that possession goes into the 4th quarter then of course Colt stays in.

Read your quote again: "La. Monroe intercepted Colt McCoy, who was playing into the 4th quarter when the whorns led 52-10." Colt was not intercepted in the 4th quarter and Colt was not playing when we were up 52-10.

I'm sorry about Sam getting hurt. With my orange-tinted classes I believed Colt deserved the Heisman last year but I hate it when any player goes down and especially a classy one like Sam. Here is hoping he recovers quickly.

SoonerShay
9/6/2009, 12:38 PM
What does that have to do with anything in this argument?

You know damn well what is has to do with the argument. Your trying to correlate that we looked bad with Sam in the game and somehow if he wouldn't of gotten hurt, we never would of gotten it together.

Well Max Hall wasn't exactly lighting us up the entire game, they had 1 touchdown for almost the entire game. They put the game in their senior quarterbacks hands at the end of the game and he came through for a touchdown.

If you don't think we would of did the same thing with Sam in the second half, then.... I'm not sure what to say to that.

Half a Hundred
9/6/2009, 12:46 PM
I know teams do it, and obviously we'd be better off had we done it, I just don't like the idea that we have to schedule a patsy to be assured a win. I'd like to think we're better than that. Sadly we proved we aren't.

Unfortunately, I think that's the new reality. Either patsies or juggernauts, but never teams that are good, but not of the same prestige level as OU. That's when you get into trouble - the opposing team's good enough where you get beaten on your mistakes, rather than being able to capitalize on the sloppy play of the patsy opponent, and it's hard to motivate your players during practice, which wouldn't be an issue versus a high-profile opponent. There's no question that BYU was more motivated during their practices than OU was - that's just human nature.

It's unwise in the short term to start a new O-Line against a fairly talented team. It will pay dividends in the long term, however.

Remember - 2000 was the outlier of outliers. It's not normal in the least bit to have a squad of talented kids who treat every single game like it's the national championship. That's what made them special and so enjoyable to watch, too; they were a team of champions in the truest sense, not just the team that happened to be better than the others that year.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:49 PM
You know damn well what is has to do with the argument. Your trying to correlate that we looked bad with Sam in the game and somehow if he wouldn't of gotten hurt, we never would of gotten it together.

Well Max Hall wasn't exactly lighting us up the entire game, they had 1 touchdown for almost the entire game. They put the game in their senior quarterbacks hands at the end of the game and he came through for a touchdown.

If you don't think we would of did the same thing with Sam in the second half, then.... I'm not sure what to say to that.

I don't know that we would have put it together, but it wouldn't have been Sam's fault. We had the reining Heisman winner and we attempted what 6 passes with him in the first half.

You won't see me criticizing Sam, if given the chance he would have gotten the job done, I just don't know that our play calling was going to give him that chance.

sooner ngintunr
9/6/2009, 12:50 PM

Like shiit.

I'm not convinced at all that if SB wouldn't have got hurt we win, I think we probably still don't. JMO.

SoonerShay
9/6/2009, 12:55 PM
I don't know that we would have put it together, but it wouldn't have been Sam's fault. We had the reining Heisman winner and we attempted what 6 passes with him in the first half.

You won't see me criticizing Sam, if given the chance he would have gotten the job done, I just don't know that our play calling was going to give him that chance.

We lost by 1 point with Sam Bradford getting hurt and Landry Jones playing the entire second half. Even with all the ineptness, I'd like to believe Sam could of got us another 10 points at the least. Which would of been enough for the win.

Watching Landry Jones, I actually have faith he can play some ball and win OUr next few games with Sam out. Even against Miami, who has a crap qb anyway.

rainiersooner
9/6/2009, 12:55 PM

We looked about as good as Texas, USC, or other teams that scheduled a home patsy and will remain in the national title hunt. I'm pretty sure that had Sam stayed in the game things would have turned out far differently. Who knows - they say lose early....

Florida won the MNC after losing to an unranked team at home;
LSU won the MNC after losing two games;
Florida won the MNC with one loss to a #10 Auburn

If we can get survive with Landry, get Sam back by Texas...who knows. Other teams will lose also. We may have a chance to play two undefeated teams (Texas and OSU). If the O-Line can get its head together and Kevin Wilson can stop outsmarting himself...we have every chance to lose our 6th straight BCS game (just kidding - I'm just saying, the season is young).

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:59 PM
I think Landry will be fine...

...if we give him a chance.

....and by "we" I mean Bob and Kevin Wilson.

oupride
9/6/2009, 01:54 PM

Just sayin...
have to agree with Curly - BYU seemed better prepared than the Sooners.

goingoneight
9/6/2009, 02:00 PM
No offense but, Hogwash.

If by "gameplan," you mean getting lucky and having your opponent lose a Heisman Trophy winner, an All-American Tight End and having their offensive line play like shat for the whole game... well, then why don't we just plan for that against Texas? I mean, surely Colt McCoy will just-so-happen to fall awkwardly and be out for the seoncd half, right?

We didn't play GREAT, but we would have been more than good enough to win had we not a bunch of MAJOR setbacks last night to help BYU rally to what I'll admit was a well-earned victory against us.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2009, 02:49 PM
hindsight is 20/20

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 03:02 PM
Sunday morning *** hats are the new style.

https://www.msu.edu/~bawolaar/asshat.thanks.tribs.jpg

OUHOMER
9/6/2009, 03:05 PM
I am with Curly Bill on this one. We are OU and we need to be prepared for these games.

Jock Ewing
9/6/2009, 03:08 PM
When you have your best O-line and defense ever you should destroy a team like BYU, who was riddled with injuries and inexperience.

Sirus
9/6/2009, 03:09 PM
Win out the rest of the season against ranked teams like *, okielite, and whoever else on the schedule becomes ranked between now and then, and this will be forgotten. Even though the media will never let it go, they will have to still respect us.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 03:12 PM
When you have your best O-line and defense ever you should destroy a team like BYU, who was riddled with injuries and inexperience.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kl2GKlgG_Xc/SQoIWk0NcCI/AAAAAAAAAlM/FKSzbfNsSgY/s400/jennicarlson.gif

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2009, 03:13 PM
I am with Curly Bill on this one. We are OU and we need to be prepared for these games.

Exactly. Never back down from a challenge. You never know how good a team is before you play em.
First off, pre season rankings are ridiculous. Secondly, if you make SCRIMMAGES be your scrimmages, then there is no need to scrimmage the first game.

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2009, 03:14 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kl2GKlgG_Xc/SQoIWk0NcCI/AAAAAAAAAlM/FKSzbfNsSgY/s400/jennicarlson.gif

I think Jenni's anorexic now.

It looks good on her.

j/k :)

Okie35
9/6/2009, 03:17 PM
I think Landry will be fine...

...if we give him a chance.

....and by "we" I mean Bob and Kevin Wilson.

Yea I agree...

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 03:18 PM

I agree with you alot on several discussions Curly BIll but I cant agree with you here we may have looked sloppy before Bradford left..but if you look at his stats for the game he was on his way to having an above average game, which would have definitely given us the victory

rhombic21
9/6/2009, 03:31 PM
I watched a lot of football this weekend, and with a few exceptions, pretty much nobody looked good. Even in our game, BYU looked horrible.

It is definitely a scheduling mistake to play a challenging game as the very first game of the season. College football doesn't have a pre-season, and by playing an opponent that can take advantage of the kinds of mistakes that virtually every team makes at the beginning of the year, you put your entire season in jeopardy. This is particularly the case if you have a young team, or have a couple of critical positions where you are going to be playing new or inexperienced players.

IronHorseSooner
9/6/2009, 03:45 PM
This is what I called a "Program Loss." JC for scheduling it, the Coaches for not having the guys prepared, and some guys were making mistakes. All in all, it comes back to scheduling this game in the first place. As a second or third game, it looks good (see 'Bama 2002 & 2003, or Cincy last year). I am not saying avoid games like this, I am saying don't put this on the first weekend. We become the focus of an entire off-season for a decent team. You are also playing a team that is unique in how to scout their opposing players. Their best WR just came back from a 2-year mission. What frustrates even more is that between the two schools, I believe that BYU is more well off (the LDS Church is LOADED), but I don't have the numbers to confirm that. This looks to have been a more significant payday for us.

rainiersooner
9/6/2009, 03:50 PM
I'm flip-flopping on this. I seem to recall that the year USC beat us, they opened up AT Virginia Tech. If you're good, you don't care who you schedule. If you a pretender, you open up against Nevada State, and other patsies like Texas Tech does - only to be found out against quality opponents. At least right now, we know what OU needs to work on:

- it's o-line
- a new OC
- not pissing off anymore gypsies who lay injury curses on our players

I think we should be able to fix this by the Miami game!