PDA

View Full Version : (Not to jack from Homey, but...) Good Morning Sooner Fans!

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 08:28 AM
...I have a lot of poison to unleash upon the board this morning, so I'm going to go ahead and get started. I wanted to get this off of my chest so that, hopefully, I don't type a book on each individual thread I respond to later. Anyway, here it goes...

-----

It's better that this happened to us now than in January.

It was GOING to happen, because, since Mike Stoops left, it has happened every single year. We end up sh*tting the bed against some decent-but-not-world-beating team, making them look a lot better than they looked on their own.

I'm not taking anything away from BYU. They looked great. Most teams do when they average 6.4 yards PER PLAY against your defense. I got a number of calls, texts, etc.. last night about this being the best our defense has looked in a long time. The sad thing was this: I agreed with the messages I received, but at the same time, I sent this in response:

Our safeties suck c*ck. The D looks like sh*t... too many 6-8 yard runs on first down, too many yards after the catch, and no pressure on Hall up front.

People may disagree with my language, but I disagree with our team's preparation, and at least my language is ready for the season. I'm cussing like it's November already, and it's barely September.

But, as much as I'd like to, this, and most of our recent bedsh*ttings, aren't completely the fault of our coaches, as much as "the man in charge" would like to just allow blame to dissipate into thin air, I'm a bit more of a realist than that. "Coach" Stoops, there has been no excuse for your team's preparation and execution in quote unquote "big games" since roughly 2003, and it has never been more obvious to a larger percentage of Sooner fans than right now. I want to know what the sh*t happened to "No excuses?"

Moving Trent Williams and putting Cory Brandon in his place. Yeah, THAT one worked out well. Not recruiting a kicker? Ditto. Not ever, EVER giving your back-up QB's playing time? Yeah, that works well too. (I know that, in this particular case, it doesn't really apply, since it was the first game and all, but how many snaps did Sam REALLY need with the first team this past off season?)

There have been a multitude of other bad decisions made over the past few years. I haven't heard blame associated with most of those, and, without blame associated, there cannot be blame absolved.

Layman's Terms: Until Stoops holds HIMSELF, not his staff, not his players, not injuries, not Joe C.,

http://www.penny.ca/joe3.jpg

(not THAT Joe C)

http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/images/web/100%20best/jc.jpg

(better)

...but HIMSELF personally responsible for this team's performance, and then allows that absolution of responsibility to roll down hill, this team will not ever recover. I don't mean this season. I mean period. We haven't been on a downward trend the past few years, but it's not like we've been heading UP, either.

I'm not an idiot. I may come across as one at times, and, in fact, I might MAYBE even be guilty of making myself appear less intelligent than I actually am at times, simply for the sake of living within the comfort zone that stems from lowered expectations. It's not like this is uncommon. Many, many people do this every single day. The smart, pretty girl to whom it is more important to be known as pretty, therefore, despite knowing all of the answers, she never raises her hand.

Where, in the timeline of all of this business, did Coach Stoops stop allowing people to raise their hands? Players, fans, other coaches...? Is it just me, or does nobody question Coach Stoops any more? Is it just me, or have we, as an offense in particular, gotten really, really ridiculously predictable? I think that there are a LOT of questions about our team that are being left unanswered, and, frankly, I'm tired of seeing January come and go without getting any of those answers.

As for the question of whether or not this is a championship caliber football team...

I'm glad that we found out than answer now instead of in January.

Maybe they'll use this loss as the motivation that they needed to push themselves, a la Tebow ad nauseum, and prove me wrong, but, if all of you were to take a deep, honest look into yourselves and into what you really think and feel, would YOU bet on that happening?

Yeah, me either.

Until drastic changes are made in the CULTURE of this team, we will not see changes on the field. We'll see 10-2, 11-1, and (gasp, maybe this season) 9-3 seasons on the annual, and we'll always been in the discussion, kinda like the Colts are always in the NFL discussion... until they play someone in the playoffs. Sure, the occasional Bob Sanders comes along and helps make a difference in big games. But, much MORE likely, they won't.

For those of you (us) that were around town in the mid-90's, it is a much, much better time to be a Sooner fan now than it was then. Back then, it was hard to buy OU gear, even in Norman. Now, it's hard NOT to buy it, 'cause it's everywhere and everybody's making it cheap.

(kinda like preseason hype)

So, my question is this: "Why is it so much harder for me to watch football games now than it was back in the mid-late 90's?"

Knowing that you're going to lose making playing a little easier. Thinking that you're going to lose usually guarantees that you do. Thinking that you're going to win usually makes playing a little easier. Knowing that you're going to win usually guarantees that the other team will win. Our players have developed a virus. Coach Stoops was the carrier of the over-confidence virus, but he's passed it on. Symptoms from the carrier include: a trite, almost rude, pre- and post- game demeanor, especially in regards to reporters like Adrian Karsten; "going for it" in rather large situations, and getting it, because you never felt like it wasn't going to work; failing to prepare every level of your team - backups included, 'cause you're winning now, so you'll always be winning.

These symptoms have bled over into the players, and much of the team seems to be afflicted now. It's not Swine Flu or anything, but it'll kill a football team equally quickly.

-----

Another text from last night, this one sent in response to a friend b*tching to me about the coaches, Stoops in particular:

Yep. It's the players too, though, man. They're not the hard-working, tough-as-f*ck players that really get behind Stoops and his coaching style; players like HE was. They're 5-star guys, not underrated 3-star guys with something to prove. They're like I was when I first got to college... Full-ride, invincible. Problem? I didn't know how to work hard, or even believe that I'd have to. By the time that I realized that I did have to, it was too late. For me, that moment of realization came during finals. I could b.s. my way through papers and quizzes, but the tests; the "big ones," killed me. For OU, it's "big games." They can b.s. the Idaho States of the world, but when it comes time to play someone who actually gives a sh*t, we tend to go one of two ways...

- Beatdown Delivered
- Beatdown Received

-----

Quick... When was the last time that OU played a closely-contested, hard-fought game against a worthy opponent, and WON? You could make an argument for Mizzou in 2007, I suppose, but it was in Norman, we ended up winning by 10, and I never really felt like we were going to lose that game anyway. In November of 2006, two ranked teams met in College Station, Tejas, and OU came out the winner, 17-16. Hardly a "worthy opponent," but I think that you get my drift. We beat the crap out of the teams that we out-talent, and we tend to get beaten by the teams that have equal or better talent, and/or coaching.

This football game is really, really simple. I think that we need to get back to the basics. How to block. (You hear me, Cory Brandon?) How to tackle? (You hear me, Entire Defense?) How to pass. (You hear me, Uncle Rico?) But, most importantly, we need to remember that it's just a game. I'll go a step further, and say that, if we can't collectively remember that it's just a game, then we'll keep seeing seasons like this in the future. It sucks to compare what is currently happening within the climate of OU football to the Blake era, but there is ONE valid compare there.

Neither program was (is) winning championships at the rate at which they are (were) going.

I'm still a fan, and always will be. In fact, I kinda liked being one of the only people in the stands back in the day, cheering for players who weren't household names even after they LEFT here; much less before they got to campus. At least back then, I KNEW we were going to lose. It made winning that much sweeter when it happened.

But, fan or not, I'm godd*mned sick and f*cking tired of seeing OU, MY beloved Sooners, be the team that teams are getting their "program's best win ever" against. Maybe those wins of theirs should be devalued, right along with our (mounting) losses to teams of that caliber.

OU coaches, players, and fans. (That's right. Quit acting entitled, and start cheering like you want to be at the game. It's a sports event, not a social one.) Either start acting like you 1) deserve it, and 2) are proud of the Crimson and Cream that you are being ALLOWED to wear, or step the f*ck aside for someone that WILL show some pride in those colors. I know I will.

In the meantime, I'll make bowl plans for December this year. Like the Counting Crows said, it's going to be a long one.

the_ouskull

btk108
9/6/2009, 09:10 AM
where is that freakin hand clapping icon? *thumbs up*

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the props, but I have an unrelated question for you...

Why is your nic "btk?" Are you related to Dennis Rader? If so, do you think that you could do some independent contractor work? I have some hopes and dreams that I need killed before the start of the 2009 seas...

Wait, I have an incoming text.

- We what?
- To who?
- Really? F*ck. Okay. Thanks. See ya.

Man, BTK, never mind. It appears that Stoops and Company have already taken care of it. Thanks anyway...

the_ouskull

ashley
9/6/2009, 09:21 AM
It was the underneath stuff that got us and that was not the the deep guys fault.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 09:22 AM
It was the underneath stuff that got us and that was not the the deep guys fault.

They got a lot of deep balls on us too.

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 09:23 AM
Allow me to re-word that, while still keeping it accurate.

"They got balls-deep on us a lot too. Of."

the_ouskull

My Opinion Matters
9/6/2009, 09:23 AM
A lot of good points. I have a few things to supplement your thoughts, and a few thoughts of my own.

1. Let's not kid ourselves, we did not lose to a team with a commensurate level of talent. BYU is a nice program with some nice players, but our team is arguably the most talented collection of players in the nation. That's what make this loss so maddening, which leads me to my next point...

2. But Bradford was hurt! Gresham was out! I know, I know. Count me out of the pitchfork and torch mob that thinks L. Jones could have, should have somehow been better prepared for this game. He wasn't the backup last year. He redshirted last year. Considering the circumstances and his lack of experience, Landry played admirably. I don't typically criticize and pretend to be an armchair coordinator, but the playcalling was atrocious. Absoultely atrocious. A few examples:

a)We're behind late in the game and we've finally established the run game, so naturally we abandon and it and ask our RS Frosh back-up QB to lead us to victory? :confused: Without Jermaine Gresham. With an entirely new receiving corps. With an entirely rebuilt and retooled offensive line that earlier in the game couldn't execute in consecutive pass block situations without receivng a procedural foul. With a backup TE playing C. How much time have Brody and Landry worked together? Again, I think :confused: sums this up best. We have two experienced 1,000 yard backs that are moving the ball effectively...and Kevin Wilson puts the ball in Landry Jones' hands to win the game...

b) Jermie Calhoun on consecutive run plays in the 1st quarter. Why? The two guys ahead of him are pretty proven I'd say. At this time are Hesiman-winning qb's is still taking the snaps too. Calhoun wasn't particularly effective, so naturally the next option is...Mossis Madu?:confused:

c) A handoff to Matt Clapp on 3rd and long. Why?

d) The Heisman winner had what, 8 pass attempts before that fateful drive where he was injured. Why?

e) It's obvious the recievers and the o-line weren't ready, but there's still a bounty of playmakers available to win this game.

3. I'm navigating through dangerous waters here, and touching on the most sensitive and taboo of subjects among Sooner fans, but it needs to be said--Brent Venables is not getting it done. The defense did not play well. Spare me. BYU was held to 14 points because they had 4 turnovers. Turnovers that our defense created, I get that. But how many times was the Cougar offense faced with a 3rd and long? How many times did you feel confident that Venables boys would come up with a stop when we needed it? How many times did they? With the type of athletes we have you're telling me we can't stop a 3rd and long? We can't cover the middle of the field? We can't keep a receiver in front of us? Ridiculous.

4. Why was this game scheduled in Arlington to begin with, Joe C? Is the athletic department just scraping by? Do we really need the money? A game away from home, with a head coach and a team that traditionally struggles away from home, against a ranked team hungry for respect in the season-opener? Capital idea!

TheUnnamedSooner
9/6/2009, 09:27 AM
I agree with most of what you said except the reps Bradford needed with the 1st team. With a new line and young receivers, they needed as many reps together as they could get.

Speaking of receivers, was that not a disappointing performance? Come on guys, you have to make catches that hit you in the freaking hands. Especially in clutch situations.

Gerald McCoy though played lights out. I hope others follow his example.

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 09:28 AM
Changes since 2000 include:

- Our outside cover guys going to more zone than man.
- Us giving up a lot of deep balls and 3rd down conversions.

- Us running the ball down a team's throat, and then stopping doing so, and going back to the pass once the run is firmly established and working... well...
- Anybody remember the LSU game? Yeah. I thought great coaches learned from their mistakes. You think Kejuan Jones was sitting at home, watching the game, going, "I f*cking KNOW! Why are they passing it now? Why do they always do this?" I'd like to believe that he was.

Our coaches had absolutely ZERO idea how to move the ball against BYU, and our team bought into their knowledge and confidence 100%. That, lately, for OU, has equalled "loss."

the_ouskull

Turd_Ferguson
9/6/2009, 09:28 AM
I'm hiring OUSkull as my company's Motivational Speaker.....if I ever get a company.

Great post!

btk108
9/6/2009, 09:30 AM
ouskull....*L*...not that btk....i definitely need to change that.....no...I don't hire out

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 09:30 AM
I'm hiring OUSkull as my company's Motivational Speaker.....if I ever get a company.

Great post!

Get a company. I need a job at which I excel. Teaching is too much bureaucratic bullsh*t, and being the smartest person on the internet doesn't pay sh*t.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 09:32 AM
You had me at...

It's better that this happened to us now than in January.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 10:13 AM
Yeah, like they had us at kickoff. F*CK! Screw this, I'm going to Hastings.

the_ouskull

OKC-SLC
9/6/2009, 10:46 AM
skull, you pretty much said exactly what i would have said. my four undergraduate years at ou were 95-99, so i know exactly what you mean.

OKC-SLC
9/6/2009, 10:47 AM
a)We're behind late in the game and we've finally established the run game, so naturally we abandon and it and ask our RS Frosh back-up QB to lead us to victory? :confused: Without Jermaine Gresham. With an entirely new receiving corps. With an entirely rebuilt and retooled offensive line that earlier in the game couldn't execute in consecutive pass block situations without receivng a procedural foul. With a backup TE playing C. How much time have Brody and Landry worked together? Again, I think :confused: sums this up best. We have two experienced 1,000 yard backs that are moving the ball effectively...and Kevin Wilson puts the ball in Landry Jones' hands to win the game...

b) Jermie Calhoun on consecutive run plays in the 1st quarter. Why? The two guys ahead of him are pretty proven I'd say. At this time are Hesiman-winning qb's is still taking the snaps too. Calhoun wasn't particularly effective, so naturally the next option is...Mossis Madu?:confused:

c) A handoff to Matt Clapp on 3rd and long. Why?

d) The Heisman winner had what, 8 pass attempts before that fateful drive where he was injured. Why?

e) It's obvious the recievers and the o-line weren't ready, but there's still a bounty of playmakers available to win this game.

3. I'm navigating through dangerous waters here, and touching on the most sensitive and taboo of subjects among Sooner fans, but it needs to be said--Brent Venables is not getting it done. The defense did not play well. Spare me. BYU was held to 14 points because they had 4 turnovers. Turnovers that our defense created, I get that. But how many times was the Cougar offense faced with a 3rd and long? How many times did you feel confident that Venables boys would come up with a stop when we needed it? How many times did they? With the type of athletes we have you're telling me we can't stop a 3rd and long? We can't cover the middle of the field? We can't keep a receiver in front of us? Ridiculous.

all of this.

HappyClappyMackBrown
9/6/2009, 10:59 AM
tl;dr

Just kidding, good points. Hopefully we can right the ship before our next trip(s) to Dallas.

recemp
9/6/2009, 11:13 AM
Had to listen to most of this game on the radio. Had a nine hour drive to get home, so I had to battle road rage, but there wasn't too much traffic in Iowa where the Hawkeyes had to block two field goals in the last seconds to beat Northern Iowa.
But...
I know this season isn't supposed to ba a continuation of last year, but we still can't score in the red zone. We would have at least been in OT in the NC if we managed to take care of business. We would have won Saturday if we had managed to punch it in from inside the 10 in how many opportunities?
The play calling on the last drive reminded me of Chuck Long's down in New Orleans.
Why are we doing a no huddle with so many inexperienced players?
I've just about bitten through my lip not trashing Venables. Just when you think it is never going to get together, he puts together a game -but the strength of our team was supposed to be the defense. True it was only 14 points, but it would've been a lot more against a good team,
To echo MY OPINION - why was this game even scheduled in Dallas. Presuming it was scheduled before we knew if Sam and Gresham were coming back, we tossed a lot of green players into the fire right away. I imagine that playing before 80,000 in Norman would have been heady enough.
That all said, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but that hasn't been the case in the recent Stoops era. History doesn't give us any evidence that we can seize this adversity and transform it like Tebow and Florida did. We don't cowboy up, we don't get mad (except at press conferences), we stumble through and have a mediocre season win a Cotton Bowl against Arkansas or luck out and lose a Fiesta Bowl against Boise State.
I'd be heartened to see the coaching staff adjust for once and take this talented bunch and get them playing football.
I don't expect it to happen, because, sadly this is what Sooner football has become.

yermom
9/6/2009, 11:17 AM
what i saw on D was the lack of getting to the QB

in the last few years, even when sending extra guys we can't seem to get there

we'd send extra guys, the QB throws to where the blitzers came from

seems we used to get there... and disguise our blitzes better

and i think the O-Line apparently needed more snaps with Bradford too... it really seemed like our receivers weren't getting enough separation either

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 11:27 AM
what i saw on D was the lack of getting to the QB

in the last few years, even when sending extra guys we can't seem to get there

we'd send extra guys, the QB throws to where the blitzers came from

seems we used to get there... and disguise our blitzes better

and i think the O-Line apparently needed more snaps with Bradford too... it really seemed like our receivers weren't getting enough separation either

I got tired of us sending two linebacker and then getting burned in the middle, but again I can't complain to much because they only scored two touchdowns.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:33 AM
Good post skull.

MyT Oklahoma
9/6/2009, 11:51 AM
I agree. Good post.

rainiersooner
9/6/2009, 12:05 PM
Not much else to add, just echo that I found the play calling bizarre. Whenever we try trickeration, like the wildcat with Bradford going out to receiver (did anyone else get a pit in their stomach when he did that and think "Wow, it would really suck if he got injured out there"), it goes for naught. I saw ZERO identity on offense - more of a "throw the kitchen sink" at the opponent and see if something works. This was the case in the first half when Sam was there also.

En_Fuego
9/6/2009, 01:18 PM
I don't know how some of the fan's think the Defense played good. That's amazing. They were clueless and confused out there last night. The Offense looked like it was being directed by a bad 4th grade football coach.

cvsooner
9/6/2009, 01:54 PM
1. Loss of Gresham was huge. Changes whole game plan by removing best, most reliable receiver. Also means losing an offensive line starter and his blocking ability. Shouldn't be a problem because backing him up is Brody Eldridge.

2. Eldridge is moved to center. That means you essentially don't have a proven tight end. It also means problems for the offensive line. Eldridge played well as a center, but the offensive line adjustments an experienced, excellent center like Jon Cooper would make are gone.

3. Offensive line plays poorly for most of the game. Penalties are absolute killers. Offense can't get into a rhythm, and can't stay on the field giving the defense a rest. Six penalties on Cory Brandon alone. Bad coaching or bad play? Probably a little of both.

3.5 Injury to Bradford. Loss of his talent and experience are tough to replace. I don't think we'd have gotten delay of game at the goal line with him at the wheel. Jones played okay for a freshman in a tough situation. Line and receivers not giving him much help.

4. Receivers not catching passes they have to. Admittedly, Sam only missed four throws. So, sixteen of 26 passes were caught. Not bad, but needs to be better. Has to. If passes are making yardage, rest of the gameplan will work.

5. Defense played fairly well, considering they were on field for one full quarter more (exactly 15 minutes) than their counterparts across the way. Offense is primarily to blame for that, but defense has to come up with some stops too. And mostly did. I think the time factor comes into play on that final drive. Suddenly BYU offense looks really good. I'd say that's fatigue. Sooners had to come up with another turnover or a big stop. Middle of the field looked like Texas game all over again. Pitta is a really good tight end, a valuable asset in a game like this. (See points one and two.) Tackling needs work, though. Defense could have played better, but played well enough, especially for opening game.

6. Fumbles. We fumbled as many times last night as all last season.

7. Nobody on the Sooner side was watching the play clock on fourth and goal? I mean, NOBODY? Nobody can call timeout?

8. Franks makes bad read on the tight end on the go-ahead touchdown, but I'd say it's understandable. Pitta is their go-to guy but Franks should have seen double coverage already there and stayed with his man. Clearly that's his assignment. I can't believe he wasn't coached to stick with his assignment.

9. Kickoff problems seem to be solved. Special teams really played rather well. Way is a good punter. Special teams and defense kept us in this one.

10. We were still in a position to win the game with 1:30 left. A penalty turns a more makeable 49-yard field goal into a 54-yarder. He had the leg from 49. Whether or not it had been straight, I dunno.

11. We need to stop playing teams known by three letter monograms to open the season.

12. BYU is a pretty good team. They'll go far this season.

13. Inability on part of coaches to adapt and alter gameplan due to changing circumstances. Frightening part of this is that perhaps what they see is that isn't the best alternative. Maybe players can't make the adaptation the way we think they should.

14. Players didn't seem to be making any excuses in the locker room. It is a season opening game, one-point loss to a ranked opponent when your Heisman Trophy winning QB goes out with injury. Not the end of the season, but we may be looking at 2005 again, now, if Bradford is gone for more than a couple of weeks.

soonerfan69
9/6/2009, 02:14 PM
Bottom line the O-line played like crap they couldn't open a hole for the backs to save there lives the empty back sets are horrible someone has to stay in and pickup the blitzer or Landry will be the next one out it's very apparent we will miss last years line more than we thought it all starts upfront and ours was horrible last night

SPuL
9/6/2009, 02:22 PM
Goddamn. Skull you are my new hero.

How to pass. (You hear me, Uncle Rico?)

aahahahahahahahahahah

great post.

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 02:57 PM
Well, thank you. I try to bring hands across America. Maybe our line should try blocking like that. I can hear Whomever in the huddle now: "187 draw, Z-out, Red-Rover on 2, on 2..."

Great. If Wilson reads these boards, we're f*cked. My bad, guys.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 03:05 PM
We ran the red rover?

We shoulda won.

aero
9/6/2009, 03:51 PM
Pretty much agree with skull. I'm a born and bred Sooner and will be till the day I die. Yes, we've had some good teams since 2000, some great players, great plays, great memories. Should that be enough? Maybe. But as crazy as it sounds with all of the victories we've had since 2000, it seems we could have and should have done even better. It seems we've been on a sort of decline since 2000. Yes, we've won a lot of games but we've lost some pretty important things. We've lost our intimidation. We've lost respect. We seem to have lost that grit that you could see in guys like Josh Heupel, Rocky Calmus, Torrance Marshall, just to name a few. OU has as rich a history as any of players with that "won't be denied" attitude. As good as teams we've had recently, I personally haven't had that impression. And I don't think the rest of the country has either. I'm as patient as anybody and understand losses and injuries are going to happen. OU's problems are square on the coaches. And Bob's the man. Hopefully, he'll figure out what needs to change.
Here's to a speedy recovery for Sam, a healthy season for all the players, and go Sooners.

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 04:01 PM
When I saw Bradford on the big screen while he was on the sidelines, getting some instructions I saw him roll his eyes like wtf? Apparently even he did not agree with the play calling.

TexasEx4OU
9/6/2009, 05:18 PM
The whole "we haven't played as well on D since Mike Stoops left" debate has been raging on multiple boards for the last few years. I used to think it was a somewhat silly premise, but am now starting to agree with folks like the skull. From where I sit, and with the exception of a few games (Tech last year, for instance), OU's D hasn't played with its hair on fire since Mike left. And there seems to be a diminishing sense of urgency when it comes to coaching.

Last night, sometime in the first half, Brian Jackson made a particularly boneheaded play (you know...the kind where you say out loud, to yourself, "Jackson...where are you going?!?!?"). He come off the field afterward, and no one says "Boo" to him. Heads to the bench...takes a seat. At that point, I turn to my Dad and say, "Why is no one in his grill?". About a minute later, Venables comes up to the entire DB unit, says a few things, then walks away. Venables, mind you...not BJW. Hmmmm.

I say this from a the standpoint of a particular, though one-off, perspective. It happens that I sat on the first row behind the OU bench at the '01 Air Force game. And I'm telling you, after every single possession, as the O or D unit came off the field, at least one, and often several, coaches would absolutely be in the grill of a player or players, coaching/teaching with a clear sense of urgency. And we'd not only just won an NC, but we were KICKING AIR FORCE'S ***!!!

It just doesn't seem like that sense of urgency has been there since Mike left.

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 05:22 PM
Venables is an excellent recruiter, M. Stoops was an excellent motivator. It took both of them to make it work. Those days are gone. Until something changes, I doubt we will see that kind of defense again.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 05:27 PM
Not many people get the access to the team that we used to either. You might not see as much IN YOUR FACE stuff during a game as you used to...but I'm betting it goes on in practice.

I've seen Brent's glazed over look enough that he looks possessed by Football Demons when he's mad.

I met Wilson last year after the oSu game in Stoolwater. He has laserbeam eyes. I was worried I would be blinded by him.

XMnTH-6thkw

PLaw
9/6/2009, 06:15 PM
...I have a lot of poison to unleash upon the board this morning, so I'm going to go ahead and get started. I wanted to get this off of my chest so that, hopefully, I don't type a book on each individual thread I respond to later. Anyway, here it goes...
the_ouskull

bitch, bitch, bitch -- let's see - yeah a real downward trend - three Big 12 championships and playing for a MNC. Yeah, that's a downward spiral.

It sounds like you have no clue about the 70 point butt whippings nebbish hung on us in the 90's.

In fact, I can't think of any team that's totally immune from stumping their toe and costing them a national championship. Go ask Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, and Jim Tressel about that.

Sure, things could have turned out better and OU would win the National Championship every freakin' year under Stoops, but you need to come out of the fog. The ball is not always going to bounce your way and people will let you down.

If your employer held you to the same standard that you blow hards try to put on Bob, then you would be starving.

KMA and BOOMER SOONER

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 06:51 PM
I've seen Brent's glazed over look enough that he looks possessed by Football Demons when he's mad.

Are you sure you see that glazed over look when he's mad? Because I can think of another reason he might have a glazed over look. ;)

...and no, it's not because he's drunk.

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 07:03 PM
bitch, bitch, bitch -- let's see - yeah a real downward trend - three Big 12 championships and playing for a MNC. Yeah, that's a downward spiral.

It sounds like you have no clue about the 70 point butt whippings nebbish hung on us in the 90's.

In fact, I can't think of any team that's totally immune from stumping their toe and costing them a national championship. Go ask Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, and Jim Tressel about that.

Sure, things could have turned out better and OU would win the National Championship every freakin' year under Stoops, but you need to come out of the fog. The ball is not always going to bounce your way and people will let you down.

If your employer held you to the same standard that you blow hards try to put on Bob, then you would be starving.

KMA and BOOMER SOONER

Blind and bland.

If you think that what is going on with this team right now coincides with a "stumped (sic) toe," then you are delusional. There is a difference between losing, but still playing well, and getting beaten like Stoops beat Mack from 2000-2004. "Good" teams, since, well, since 2003/04, have beaten us like we were clueless. (That's what ol' Mack said about himself, right? Seems to have worked for him to admit his flaws.. STOOPScoughGAMEPLANNINGhackSTUBBORNwheezeOVERLYLOY AL.)

But, feel free to think the way that you do too. I write what I write for the people that are able to get it. If you're not one of them, then go on thinking that it's okay to continue losing like we are now, and, when we're putting up 8-4, 9-3 in a few years instead of 11-1, 10-2, remember where you heard it first.

Also, since my "point" often gets lost in the middle of all of these fancy words that most people lack the patience and intellectual capacity to process, I'll state it again here: This isn't about losing. It is about the manner in which the team is losing, and the way that losing has become "okay" around the program. It used to not be okay to lose under Stoops. When did he get cool with it?

the_ouskull

Crucifax Autumn
9/6/2009, 07:05 PM
Last year we lost a game we should have won. Last year Forida lost a game they should have won.

Both teams made it to the BCS Championship game.

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 08:12 PM
Last year we lost a game we should have won. Last year Forida lost a game they should have won.

Both teams made it to the BCS Championship game.

It's true. And A) it was a non-conference game and B) it was at the beginning of the season and C) it was against an under-rated ranked team. D) For the most part, we were missing our biggest play makers on offense, which we will probably get back when it counts.

All is not lost...

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 08:13 PM
Steak dinner for both you guys if we even sniff the NC game this year. ;)

PLaw
9/6/2009, 08:14 PM
Blind and bland.

the_ouskull

Believe me, I don't look at the world through crimson colored glasses. When it's time to call out poor play and coaching, I'm right their with you. But this sky is falling crap in a what have you done for me lately world is just not warranted.

Certainly, Osborn would have never won three National Championships had the little red nation had the same venom spewed on this board.

Yeah, it's frustrating when mental mistakes, poor red zone execution, turnovers, and suspect play calling end on the short end of the scoreboard to a lesser talented and heralded team.

That said, there is a heckuva lot of football to be played between now and here's rooting that our SOONERS are back in Arlington in December.

BOOMER

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 08:15 PM
Steak dinner for both you guys if we even sniff the NC game this year. ;)

Well, there is a such thing as Sooner magic...;)

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 08:17 PM
Well, there is a such thing as Sooner magic...;)

Can't you pay tention? Mike took the bag with the Sooner Magic in it to Zona when he left. :D

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 08:19 PM
Can't you pay tention? Mike took the bag with the Sooner Magic in it to Zona when he left. :D

you kiddin? he splitten w/ the Mrs and his team still stinks. Sooner magic aint there...:P

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 08:20 PM
you kiddin? he splitten w/ the Mrs and his team still stinks. Sooner magic aint there...:P

Well it sure as hell ain't been seen around these parts since he left. :P

TexasEx4OU
9/6/2009, 08:43 PM
Blind and bland.

If you think that what is going on with this team right now coincides with a "stumped (sic) toe," then you are delusional. There is a difference between losing, but still playing well, and getting beaten like Stoops beat Mack from 2000-2004. "Good" teams, since, well, since 2003/04, have beaten us like we were clueless. (That's what ol' Mack said about himself, right? Seems to have worked for him to admit his flaws.. STOOPScoughGAMEPLANNINGhackSTUBBORNwheezeOVERLYLOY AL.)

But, feel free to think the way that you do too. I write what I write for the people that are able to get it. If you're not one of them, then go on thinking that it's okay to continue losing like we are now, and, when we're putting up 8-4, 9-3 in a few years instead of 11-1, 10-2, remember where you heard it first.

Also, since my "point" often gets lost in the middle of all of these fancy words that most people lack the patience and intellectual capacity to process, I'll state it again here: This isn't about losing. It is about the manner in which the team is losing, and the way that losing has become "okay" around the program. It used to not be okay to lose under Stoops. When did he get cool with it?

the_ouskull

This.

At the risk of getting neg specked to Bolivia...we've become Texas. We used to get vicarious pleasure out of watching Mack lose "big" games and/or lose to BYU-like teams, all while racked with talent and ranked in the top ten. Do you have any idea what our record is against ranked, non-conference teams away from home (at either their place, or a neutral site) since 2003? 1-8. That used to be a Mack Brown stat. We now own it. Can you remember the last time OU was in a tight, meaningful game, and certain players willed the team to win in the 4th Quarter? Torrance Marshall and Kejuan Jones come to mind. Since then...meh.

Skull is right...there is an unsettling trend here. And don't get me wrong...I'm the biggest Bob Stoops fan you'll ever find. But you can't ignore the trend. And you can't ignore the fact that we used to laugh about Horn fans whining about Mack's loyalty to Greg Davis. Are we facing a similar problem?

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 08:46 PM
I'm the biggest Bob Stoops fan you'll ever find.

Crap. I thought it was me.

Thanks for ruining my day.

TexasEx4OU
9/6/2009, 08:51 PM
Crap. I thought it was me.

Thanks for ruining my day.

De nada.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 09:01 PM
This.

At the risk of getting neg specked to Bolivia...we've become Texas. We used to get vicarious pleasure out of watching Mack lose "big" games and/or lose to BYU-like teams, all while racked with talent and ranked in the top ten. Do you have any idea what our record is against ranked, non-conference teams away from home (at either their place, or a neutral site) since 2003? 1-8. That used to be a Mack Brown stat. We now own it. Can you remember the last time OU was in a tight, meaningful game, and certain players willed the team to win in the 4th Quarter? Torrance Marshall and Kejuan Jones come to mind. Since then...meh.

Skull is right...there is an unsettling trend here. And don't get me wrong...I'm the biggest Bob Stoops fan you'll ever find. But you can't ignore the trend. And you can't ignore the fact that we used to laugh about Horn fans whining about Mack's loyalty to Greg Davis. Are we facing a similar problem?

Not from me anyway, the truth hurts and some peeps don't like it, but it is what it is.

FlatheadSooner
9/6/2009, 09:06 PM
Another silver lining - Reynolds looked pretty good! I don't think he was wearing any type of knee brace - which kind of makes me nervous - seems like a little support might be good insurance for his situation.

I've said this team needs a full-time (pre-game and on side line) motivational speaker ever since the GOWWDNS.

stoopified
9/6/2009, 09:51 PM
Call me a sunshine pumper if ya want BUT I think this an angry kneejerk reaction to not only the disappointment of OUr loss both on the field and of Sam.

Personally I think OU was starting to find their rhytm on offense on that last drive.The o-line had 9 penalties(by my count) and 7 of thwm were in the 1st quarter.IMHO if Sam had not gotten injured we would have been able to move the ball.In sspite of our poor play Brown and Murray both had good nights running the ball.Much of that sucess came when Landry was in the game and BYU didn't fear OUr passing game like they did with Sam.I can't help feeling that with Sam in the game we would have more sucess both running and passing in the second half,especially considering the o-line was no longer killing us with penalties.

We netted 265 yards total offense and scored only 13 points,so in essence we left the D hanging Even at that the D held BYU to 14 points 357 yards,28 yards rushing(BYU's Corriea had 42yards on 17 carries).I feel a healthy Sam would have been able to get us at least another 13 points and a couple hundred yards.With 27 points and over 400 yards of Sooner offense, the defense isn't sitting out there in the 4th quarter with their tongues hanging out.Perfect example of their exhausttion was Gerald McCoy;I saw him twice tap his helmet for a break but he never got one and he wasn't alone.As I said in another thread if OU held every opponent in the Stoops era to 14 points,we would be 132-2.

There is an old coaching axiom that says you are never as good as your best win or as bad as your worst loss.Last night I think I shared a similar gloomy outlook on the BYU loss but on reflection we lost by 1 point and OUr Heisman qb played only 1 half.IF we had been blown out,I would be in full agreement but we were NOT.

I will say this though, if Sam is out for the year my mood will be almost as dark as expressed here.

TexasEx4OU
9/6/2009, 10:11 PM
Were we putting the microscope to this one game, I'd agree with much of what you said. But we're talking trends here. You could take the "if/but" pieces of your analysis, and apply them to several games over the last five or so years, then begin to extrapolate a pattern that, in my opinion, is unsettling.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the fact that we went through the entire 2000 season with nary a catastrophic injury (Josh's elbow aside). But that was also a tale of two seasons... we struggled early, then our offense hit its stride, then our defense hit its stride (fine...that's technically three seasons, for those of you keeping score). Point being...some one or some unit stepped up. Be it Josh or Torrance or, hell, Ontai Jones...someone stepped up. I'm not seeing that these days (Gerald McCoy's Selmonesque performance aside).

The sense of urgency/discipline/focus has seemingly gone away. Again...we've become Texas.

PLaw
9/6/2009, 10:16 PM
Another silver lining - Reynolds looked pretty good! I don't think he was wearing any type of knee brace - which kind of makes me nervous - seems like a little support might be good insurance for his situation.

I've said this team needs a full-time (pre-game and on side line) motivational speaker ever since the GOWWDNS.

Reynold's was too slow to keep up in the passing defense. He made some great, gutty plays and was solid in the run defense, but he was often waaaay behind when the TE came out of the back field.

BOOMER

PLaw
9/6/2009, 10:22 PM
Were we putting the microscope to this one game, I'd agree with much of what you said. But we're talking trends here. You could take the "if/but" pieces of your analysis, and apply them to several games over the last five or so years, then begin to extrapolate a pattern that, in my opinion, is unsettling.

The sense of urgency/discipline/focus has seemingly gone away. Again...we've become Texas.

The most unsettling thing is the "BIG GAME BOB" moniker has taken on a completely different meaning at the conclusion of the decade than it had before the KSU Big 12 Championship Game and TGOWWNDS.

BOOMER

TexasEx4OU
9/6/2009, 10:28 PM
The most unsettling thing is the "BIG GAME BOB" moniker has taken on a completely different meaning at the conclusion of the decade than it had before the KSU Big 12 Championship Game and TGOWWNDS.

BOOMER

Agreed. And in my opinion, it is directly related to a seemingly diminished sense of urgency within the staff.