PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson ... How long

basel90
9/6/2009, 05:55 AM
I think it is obvious by now that we need to look at how good our offensive coordinator is . We have lost far too many games because of his questionable calls, and lack of a winning strategy for a top tier team like OU.

How much is too much ? We have seen the Florida game disastrous play calling and we have seen this BYU game and others (Boise , TCU , CU ) . It is evident the team was not prepared and the OL seems too pedestrian for a team trying to win a national title . I am not convinced he has done the best with this OL yet. They looked like they have been put together last week . We did lose several due to graduation , but this is Oklahoma and that is why we have a recruiting base , depth , facilities and the supporting staff , in order to maintain continuity and to reload. What we saw is an underprepared OL and am also thinking Landry the freshman QB could have been better prepared for these situation (although he did try hard). We needed to reload and not start from scratch and under achieve on national TV.

It is not fair to go on without questioning Kevin Wilson at this stage and why stoops is keeping him .

I have seen several media press conferences for Stoops and have not heard one media guy ask stoops about Kevin Wilson and his questionable offensive strategies and abilities.
I have a feeling many of them are afraid to ask such a question as stoops can get pretty testy with the media.

It is easy for Stoops to answer that this is the most explosive offense last year . But let us be honest , the big 12 last year was not that great either and when we met top teams from the SEC there was trouble for OU and for others . Texas Tech was clobbered in Cotton bowl in dallas as well. There were other examples.

The defense cannot be held nearly as accountable . 14 points allowed with BYU should translate into a win for OU .,period .

Similar thing happened in the Florida game , we only scored 14 against Florida , mainy due to questionable play calling .

Kevin Wilso has been outcouached and actualy his predecessor as well (remember the USC fiasco) and we have not had a talented OL coach since Leach.

Stoops needs to start making changes .

ashley
9/6/2009, 06:08 AM
Good joke.

Sooner-N-KS
9/6/2009, 08:01 AM
I had no problem with Wilson for most of last year. But last night was just bizarre.

Fire Wilson? I can't recall Stoops ever firing anyone. Chuck Third & Long should have been fired, but it took a head coach job (where he's now unemployed) to get rid of him.

SoonernAR
9/6/2009, 08:15 AM
For the most part Kevin Wilson does call a good game, where he fails is at critical times and tough games. But it wouldn't be fair to not lay some of the blame at Stoops feet as well for some of his game management decisions.

I am not one of those who are calling for firings, but I would like to see the coaches start learning from their mistakes.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:16 AM
So your saying Stoops should get rid of arguably the best OC in the nation? Who do you want to get?

Jack T.
9/6/2009, 08:24 AM
So your saying Stoops should get rid of arguably the best OC in the nation? Who do you want to get?

Is he one of the best? Or does he just have the best *talent*?

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:27 AM
Is he one of the best? Or does he just have the best *talent*?

He did help develop the talent that he has. The only person that would know if its time for a change is Stoopsie and trust me he is not going too.

fadada1
9/6/2009, 09:40 AM
kevin wilson calls a great game as long as we're up by 30+ or not playing game 1 against a top 20 opponent. i seriously doubt he opened the play book beyond page 3 last night. you have the reigning heisman trophy winner and an all-american and he throws single digit passed for a quarter and a half.

THAT is the problem i have with KW.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 09:45 AM
Wilson needs to call plays for some other team, and the offensive line sucks.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 10:00 AM
Wilson needs to call plays for some other team, and the offensive line sucks.

*sigh*

Toronto Sooner
9/6/2009, 10:14 AM
I apologize to the originator os this thread. I brought up an old tread on KW ("Is KW immune to ...."), without noticing this thread.

KABOOKIE
9/6/2009, 10:19 AM
How many games has the offense lost.....

How many games has the defense given up a 4th qtr lead.....

GKeeper316
9/6/2009, 10:51 AM
an offensive line that doesnt know how to pick up a zone blitz has no business being discussed for a championship.

we'll be lucky to end up with a winning season if they dont figure some **** out fast.

defense did its job. holding a top 25 team to 14 points is great. d looked championship calibre. offense was a joke. only bright spots were murry (and brown in the 3rd after byu had gotten a little gassed) ryan broyles had some good receps, but adron tennell... lets just say theres a couple high school guys up in tulsa who would have actually caught the **** thrown their way.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 10:58 AM
an offensive line that doesnt know how to pick up a zone blitz has no business being discussed for a championship.

we'll be lucky to end up with a winning season if they dont figure some **** out fast.

defense did its job. holding a top 25 team to 14 points is great. d looked championship calibre. offense was a joke. only bright spots were murry (and brown in the 3rd after byu had gotten a little gassed) ryan broyles had some good receps, but adron tennell... lets just say theres a couple high school guys up in tulsa who would have actually caught the **** thrown their way.

There wasn't any reason to throw the towel in after losing to TCU at Home. No reason to now.

Sooner-N-KS
9/6/2009, 10:58 AM
The first quarter really looked like Wilson was calling plays in a scrimmage. He was testing people to see how they would do, and he was making strange calls to see what would work.

Murray had his fumble, but it's hard to hold onto it when the helmet hits the ball that hard. Outside of that I think he played great. Brown played really well. Why were Calhoun and Madu getting carries? Why did Clapp get the ball on 3rd & 6? That's scrimmage type stuff.

Then he takes the ball out of Sam's hands to run the wild horsepig, but they don't run it when Landry was in the game.

It really seemed like Wilson was playing with the offense rather than calling the plays necessary to win.

I'm more than ready to see what Heupel can do as OC.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 11:03 AM
The first quarter really looked like Wilson was calling plays in a scrimmage. He was testing people to see how they would do, and he was making strange calls to see what would work.

Murray had his fumble, but it's hard to hold onto it when the helmet hits the ball that hard. Outside of that I think he played great. Brown played really well. Why were Calhoun and Madu getting carries? Why did Clapp get the ball on 3rd & 6? That's scrimmage type stuff.

Then he takes the ball out of Sam's hands to run the wild horsepig, but they don't run it when Landry was in the game.

It really seemed like Wilson was playing with the offense rather than calling the plays necessary to win.

Exactly, I think he thought we were going to roll them and it didn't matter that much.

Leroy Lizard
9/6/2009, 11:04 AM
Is this the same coordinator whose offense shattered the NCAA scoring record last year?

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 11:04 AM
Why were Calhoun and Madu getting carries? Why did Clapp get the ball on 3rd & 6? That's scrimmage type stuff.

I think you answered that in your own post though.

He was testing people to see how they would do, and he was making strange calls to see what would work.

Some stuff didn't work. Sam was still in the game right up until the half. I think they were just trying safe stuff. Turning the ball over before the half wouldn't have been good. I think they were trying to run the 2 minute Offense drill before half and see if they could get a score without risking to much.

It was all very conservative...probably based on what they had seen in practice. They have never opened the playbook up until the texas game most years anyway.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 11:05 AM
Is this the same coordinator whose offense shattered the NCAA scoring record last year?

Yeah...that would be him.

RedstickSooner
9/6/2009, 11:11 AM
I had no problem with Wilson for most of last year. But last night was just bizarre.

Fire Wilson? I can't recall Stoops ever firing anyone. Chuck Third & Long should have been fired, but it took a head coach job (where he's now unemployed) to get rid of him.

I'm with Kansas on this one. The only offensive co-ord other than Wilson that has been worth a damn under Stoops was Leach. Wilson is the one that installed the gazillion-points juggernaut. And I don't think we can blame all those dropped balls on Wilson -- which stopped the clock, screwed up our rhythm, reduced Sam's confidence, made the run less effective, allowed BYU to pin their ears back and come after Sam...

Frankly, at this point, I blame the entire night on dropped balls in the first quarter. If our receivers make the catches they should make -- if they make the catches they've made pretty much every year for the past decade -- we run away with it. Am I disappointed with the line? Sure. But I'm more disappointed that nobody could catch a damned football -- and I've less faith in our ability to adapt. We could make the offense faster, roll Sam out, things like that, to cope with bad line play. But if nobody catches the ball when he gets it to them, none of that matters. (I'm just speaking hypothetically about the adaptation right now -- obviously, with Sam hurt, everything changes).

Worst of all, I doubt the receivers are *that* bad. Mostly because they've always been pretty decent under Stoops. I think they were just kind of off to start the game, but it didn't take many drops to kill our momentum, sour Wilson's playcalling, and generally screw the pooch.

Have I totally missed the mark here?

Toronto Sooner
9/6/2009, 11:15 AM
Can someone please help me out. BYU kept disguising its blistzes. It wasn't that OU didn't have the protection. The problem is that OU's extra protection was always caught on the wrong side. As a result, the extra OU blocker (s) ended up blocking air and the BYU blistzes continually got free (running) hard shots at the QB. It happened all throughout the first half, and into the second half. It knocked Sam out of the game. Even then, no successful adjustments by Kevin Wilson. They immediately almost knocked Laundry Jones out of the game on the same play.

KW didn't even have to go into max protect mode. Why didn't he just drop the fullback back (either just in front QB or beside the QB, or even just behind the QB) so he can stay home and see exactly where the blitzer is coming from. The fullback can then just step up and make the block.

How could KW let this happen over and over and over and over and over again. It seemed like I was watching the movie Groundhog Day. It was frustrating to watch. It was almost criminal to leave our QBs so vulnerable.

I must say I am totally lost as to how KW couldn't make such basic adjustments to protect the most vital player on the field. Truly, I no clue. Help please.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:19 AM
So your saying Stoops should get rid of arguably the best OC in the nation?

Seriously? There's no way you really believe that. If you want to mess with the nOObs fine, but don't go out on this limb. :O

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 11:24 AM
Seriously? There's no way you really believe that. If you want to mess with the nOObs fine, but don't go out on this limb. :O

I do believe that. He does make some questionable decisions sometimes, but overall he is a good coach. That is why he will be a Head Coach pretty soon. If we were to say fire him today, who would we get that is better then him to replace him?

I think this fits in the you don't know what you got until its gone category along with last years offensive line that we critiqued so much......

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:28 AM
I do believe that. He does make some questionable decisions sometimes, but overall he is a good coach. That is why he will be a Head Coach pretty soon. If we were to say fire him today, who would we get that is better then him to replace him?

I think this fits in the you don't know what you got until its gone category along with last years offensive line that we critiqued so much......

I know what we've got: an OC that when the pressure is on curls up in the fetal position and reverts to thinking he's in the Big 10.

...and I hope both he and BV find head coaching positions very soon. ;)

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 11:30 AM
I know what we've got: an OC that when the pressure is on curls up in the fetal position and reverts to thinking he's in the Big 10.

...and I hope both he and BV find head coaching positions very soon. ;)

OUr defense held them to 14 points. I think BV did a very good job.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 11:32 AM

Leach was probably the best I've ever seen. He just has a way of coming up with schemes you'd never think of trying. I do remember people screaming "WTF is he doing now!" when he pulled the Ninja out of his bag.

We only got a glimpse of his talent before he left for Lubbock.

I agree with you and think that Wilson is just getting started and will work it out.

Also...who wouldn't want to see Josh Heuple as OC?

I'd like to see him do it somewhere else before coming here as OC just in case it goes south. I will always view him as a Legendary Player and don't wish to see him get the heat that Kevin is getting.

OKC-SLC
9/6/2009, 11:36 AM
I'd take Norm Chow over KW. He makes excellent adjustments during games.

KW goes away from what's working in games when we critically need points.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:36 AM

Their turnovers largely held them to 14 points. If they could have held onto the ball they showed an ability to move it.

...but yeah, this loss is mostly on our Big 10 offensive coordinator.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 11:37 AM
Their turnovers largely held them to 14 points. If they could have held onto the ball they showed an ability to move it.

...but yeah, this loss is mostly on our Big 10 offensive coordinator.

OUr defense caused their turnovers though.

:D

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:37 AM
I'd take Norm Chow over KW.

Yup, without a second thought.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:38 AM
OUr defense caused their turnovers though.

:D

Somewhat, but there's also considerable luck involved in causing turnovers, and they're not something you can count on getting game in game out.

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2009, 02:05 PM

Against some of the worst defenses in the history of college football

OlRedMagic
9/6/2009, 02:06 PM

+1 billion, it's time for Heupel to get a promotion before someone else hires him. He would be a much bigger loss than KW could ever hope to be.

OlRedMagic
9/6/2009, 02:12 PM
Leach was probably the best I've ever seen. He just has a way of coming up with schemes you'd never think of trying. I do remember people screaming "WTF is he doing now!" when he pulled the Ninja out of his bag.

We only got a glimpse of his talent before he left for Lubbock.

I agree with you and think that Wilson is just getting started and will work it out.

Also...who wouldn't want to see Josh Heuple as OC?

I'd like to see him do it somewhere else before coming here as OC just in case it goes south. I will always view him as a Legendary Player and don't wish to see him get the heat that Kevin is getting.

He wouldn't get the heat KW is getting because he's quite a bit sharper than the OC who's been "working it out" since 1992.

ashley
9/6/2009, 02:18 PM
Isn't it funny that when we play good it't the players and when we play bad it's the coaches.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 02:20 PM
Isn't it funny that when we play good it't the players and when we play bad it's the coaches.

Isn't it funny you feel the incessant need to defend these highly compensated coaches as if they were your little boys and some big meanie was yelling at and hitting them? :O

rhombic21
9/6/2009, 02:27 PM
KW is great at gameplanning, but pretty horrible at making good playcalls in critical situations.

First and 10 at the BYU 32, needing only 8-10 yards to get in FG range, with 2 minutes to go and 2 timeouts remaining, and we can still get out of town with a win.

First down, run out of 3 WR set for no gain (Murray barely tripped up as he hits the hole). Second and third down, shotgun 4 wide passing plays. BYU hadn't stopped our running game the entire second half. Why the hell aren't we in the damn I formation and running the ball? I mean, we haven't pass blocked all damn game, we have no experience at receiver or TE, and we've got a freaking freshman QB. Go to a power set and put the ball in the hands of our established playmakers. If we run it three times and pick up an average of 2 yards a carry, we're in field goal position.

Instead we go 4 wide and try to wing it, end up getting a procedure penalty, and get pushed out of field goal range. Just terrible coaching.

And stop with the damn "look to the sidelines" **** on short yardage. You pretty much know what kind of front they're going to give you. Just line up and run the damn play.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 02:36 PM
Kevin, you always talk about competition, how much do you think things will change on the offensive line this week?

I don't know. I really kind of felt with Stephen Good and Ben Habern we were at seven linemen. I thought Jarvis could go to tackle to get us three deep. I think when we clicked along there in the second half it was Ben at guard with Jarvis at tackle. There's all kinds of scenarios. As a collective group we had way too many balls on the ground, dropped passes, penalties, poor calling on my part in preparation and we got beat in every phase.

Credit BYU. We've got some great kids and they'll come back in a big way and they need to come back in a big way. We as coaches have to make sure we do a better job. Apparently we were not at the right place to play tonight and that's my fault.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 02:37 PM
Could you talk about the fourth-and-goal when the clock ran out on you?

I did not see it, but on third down we tried to sneak it and at the end their guy comes out (Wilson was referring to the BYU player running around with the football after taking it from Jones after the play was over) and coach said to go for it and we were just making sure we got a look and the clock went to :25 when the ball came out and I didn't realize - I didn't even look at the clock.

The coach told me we were running out of time and we could take a time out but I thought we had :40 and we hadn't been up (on the line) that long and I didn't even think about it. I was looking at the defense because we were trying to get the right call on that play and that cost us four points and that one is on me.

That's totally my fault, totally my fault.

Toronto Sooner
9/6/2009, 03:22 PM
I take it that the quote below was from a post game interview with KW. If true then hopefully they will move C. Brandon back to a back up role. Do you think that the starting O-line might look like this for the next game?

T. Williams (T)
B. Simmons (G)
Brody (C)
Ben (G)
Jarvis (T)

I hope so. Did S. Good play last night? If so, anyone notice how he did?

Kevin, you always talk about competition, how much do you think things will change on the offensive line this week?

I don't know. I really kind of felt with Stephen Good and Ben Habern we were at seven linemen. I thought Jarvis could go to tackle to get us three deep. I think when we clicked along there in the second half it was Ben at guard with Jarvis at tackle. There's all kinds of scenarios. As a collective group we had way too many balls on the ground, dropped passes, penalties, poor calling on my part in preparation and we got beat in every phase.

Credit BYU. We've got some great kids and they'll come back in a big way and they need to come back in a big way. We as coaches have to make sure we do a better job. Apparently we were not at the right place to play tonight and that's my fault.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 03:38 PM
I take it that the quote below was from a post game interview with KW. If true then hopefully they will move C. Brandon back to a back up role. Do you think that the starting O-line might look like this for the next game?

T. Williams (T)
B. Simmons (G)
Brody (C)
Ben (G)
Jarvis (T)

I hope so. Did S. Good play last night? If so, anyone notice how he did?

Yes, that was from a post-game interview.

Stephen Good did play last night and he was part of the reason that the guy got through to Sam so fast. Trent Williams took the defensive end and Stephen helped Brody when he should have picked the guy up.

85sooners
9/6/2009, 03:43 PM
kevin wilson calls a great game as long as we're up by 30+ or not playing game 1 against a top 20 opponent. i seriously doubt he opened the play book beyond page 3 last night. you have the reigning heisman trophy winner and an all-american and he throws single digit passed for a quarter and a half.

THAT is the problem i have with KW.this

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 03:55 PM
Yes, that was from a post-game interview.

Stephen Good did play last night and he was part of the reason that the guy got through to Sam so fast. Trent Williams took the defensive end and Stephen helped Brody when he should have picked the guy up.

Disagree CK. Goode had his hands full on the inside. Brody helped him on a double team. Chris Brown picked up the guy to Goode's left and Trent Williams was left with two guys to block. Trent tried to drop off his guy but was to late slowing down the guy that hit Sam.

Just replayed it.

I'm betting Trent feels pretty badly.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 03:56 PM
Disagree CK. Goode had his hands full on the inside. Brody helped him on a double team. Chris Brown picked up the guy to Goode's left and Trent Williams was left with two guys to block. Trent tried to drop off his guy but was to late slowing down the guy that hit Sam.

Just replayed it.

I'm betting Trent feels pretty badly.

Alright, I was just trying to go off memory.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 03:58 PM
Alright, I was just trying to go off memory.

Not gettin on ya Bro. I just never paid attn to the line in that play. I was to shocked to see him not get up. So...I replayed it just to see.

Looked like Goode was doing pretty well in that series.

aurorasooner
9/6/2009, 04:04 PM
KW is great when his initial gameplan is on target, which it usually is against lesser talented defenses. However, when we're playing teams with quality defensive players along with a quality DC and the opposing DC is one step ahead of him from the start, (or we get key offensive players injured during a game---Tech in Lubbock when Sam got injured), he sort of goes in the toilet and takes way too long to adapt his gameplan/playcalling to be successful. [p] I've got a feeling that our whole offensive gameplan implemented during the preseason was built around Gresham (move him all over the field-TE on the LOS, WR, Slot, motion/shift, etc), and we had to throw it in the trash earlier this week when he was injured. With basically a whole new offensive line and WRs and so little time to prep a new offensive gameplan , we had to go to a simple offensive gameplan of run at BYU straight-on, and if our OL couldn't physically push their DL off the LOS (which imo happens too often against equally talented teams), then just let Sam control the game, settle with FGs when needed, along with our defense holding them to a couple of TDs and we'd still win it by a comfortable 24-14, 31-14 score (which we probably would have done if Sam doesn't go down).

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 04:08 PM
I've got a feeling that our whole offensive gameplan implemented during the preseason was built around Gresham (move him all over the field-TE on the LOS, WR, Slot, motion/shift, etc), and we had to throw it in the trash earlier this week when he was injured. With basically a whole new offensive line and WRs and so little time to prep a new offensive gameplan , we had to go to a simple offensive gameplan of run at BYU straight-on, and if our OL couldn't physically push their DL off the LOS (which imo happens too often against equally talented teams), then just let Sam control the game, settle with FGs when needed, along with our defense holding them to a couple of TDs and we'd still win it by a comfortable 24-14, 31-14 score (which we probably would have done if Sam doesn't go down).

So true. Without him and an inexperienced backup...we just didn't run things the same way as last year. Sam was looking all over for guys to throw to.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 04:52 PM

Yep, same one that called the national championship game.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 05:06 PM
Yep, same one that called the national championship game.

Baby tebus put the curse on us.

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:16 PM

You have to be kidding. BYU got 14 points more then they should have if our D had done their job up the middle and on the long balls. They won the game doing the same thing that Texas and FU did to us last year. Nothing has changed or gotten better. With Sam hurt, its going to be a long season!

josh09
9/6/2009, 05:19 PM
We're talking about the guy who ran the offense that scored the most points in a season in NCAA football history, right?

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:20 PM
You have to be kidding. BYU got 14 points more then they should have if our D had done their job up the middle and on the long balls. They won the game doing the same thing that Texas and FU did to us last year. Nothing has changed or gotten better. With Sam hurt, its going to be a long season!

Name one defense this week that didn't make a few mistakes.

Okie35
9/6/2009, 05:26 PM

Or an offense for that matter... a lot of teams came out flat.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:29 PM

Yep, Texas gave up 20.

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:29 PM

Didn't know that we were talking about other teams. Thought we were talking about the D for OU! If you want to discuss other teams D's, then maybe you need to go to their board, cause I'm only talking about our game here.

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:31 PM

So whats your point? We are OU, not other teams!

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:31 PM
Didn't know that we were talking about other teams. Thought we were talking about the D for OU! If you want to discuss other teams D's, then maybe you need to go to their board, cause I'm only talking about our game here.

I'll say it one more time for you. OUr D held a very good BYU offense to 14 points. We made a few mistakes yes, but having a PERFECT game is VERY rare.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 05:32 PM
I'll say it one more time for you. OUr D held a very good BYU offense to 14 points. We made a few mistakes yes, but having a PERFECT game is VERY rare.

Not again! :D ;)

Okie35
9/6/2009, 05:32 PM
So whats your point? We are OU, not other teams!

My point is its a trend it happens. I mean I love OU too but they're human. Get over it! I would've loved to have started out against Idaho State then played BYU but it didn't happen so yea. The season isn't over so I'm over yesterday. I do wish Sam comes back quick and 100% healthy.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:34 PM
My point is its a trend it happens. I mean I love OU too but they're human. Get over it!

+1

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:35 PM

I'll say it one more time for you, if you really do believe our D did a good job, you must have been watching a different OU D then I was watching. Never asked for a PERFECT game, but at least they could get a little better then they were last year. They are not and if they do not improve, you will change your mind about them in a few more games.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 05:35 PM
Baby tebus put the curse on us.

"Now thats funny, I don't care who you are"

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:42 PM
I'll say it one more time for you, if you really do believe our D did a good job, you must have been watching a different OU D then I was watching. Never asked for a PERFECT game, but at least they could get a little better then they were last year. They are not and if they do not improve, you will change your mind about them in a few more games.

Really, so what about the defense made them worse than last year?

Last years defense gave up 26 points to Cincinnati last year.

Last years defense gave up 14 points to a horrible Washington Offense last year.

Last years defense gave up 17 points to Baylor last year.

So please explain to me how this years defense is worse than last year after 1 game.......

:rolleyes:

okiewaker
9/6/2009, 05:43 PM

I think the D played pretty well considering they were on the field for a good deal of time. BYU had the ball for 37 minutes to OU's 23.

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:45 PM
My point is its a trend it happens. I mean I love OU too but they're human. Get over it! I would've loved to have started out against Idaho State then played BYU but it didn't happen so yea. The season isn't over so I'm over yesterday. I do wish Sam comes back quick and 100% healthy.

Personally I would rather have a trend that shows we have improved over last year then one that says that we are the samne. Don't expect Sam to be the same when he comes back, cause it isn't going to happen for a while. That shoulder is going to need a lot of rehab and real game playing time before he can be back to his old self. I just hope it isn't real serious. I was afraid that he had a fracture cause he landed like it did and came up holding his arm as I did when I had a shoulder fracture. I was really glad to hear when they announced that it wasn't a fracture.

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:49 PM
Really, so what about the defense made them worse than last year?

Last years defense gave up 26 points to Cincinnati last year.

Last years defense gave up 14 points to a horrible Washington Offense last year.

Last years defense gave up 17 points to Baylor last year.

So please explain to me how this years defense is worse than last year after 1 game.......

:rolleyes:

Can you not read? I said that they were not any better then last year, not that they were worse then last year. You just made my case for me. They are not any better then last year, they have not improved and they have had a lot of practice time to make improvements. So, read what I say before you respond, please.:D

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 05:51 PM
Can you not read? I said that they were not any better then last year, not that they were worse then last year. You just made my case for me. They are not any better then last year, they have not improved and they have had a lot of practice time to make improvements. So, read what I say before you respond, please.:D

No, I did not make a case for you. You give them one game where they give up 14 points and you say our defense it bad? Give me a break.

A-M
9/6/2009, 05:53 PM
I think the D played pretty well considering they were on the field for a good deal of time. BYU had the ball for 37 minutes to OU's 23.

You also make my case. If our D had stopped BYU on their 3rd and 9, 3rd and 7, etc. plays, they would not have been on the field for 37 minutes.

okiewaker
9/6/2009, 05:57 PM
I don't know how anyone can make the assumption that the D isn't as good or as bad as last year. They have only been on the field for 37 minutes this year. I think they need to play a few more games before anyone can draw a conclusion.

A-M
9/6/2009, 06:00 PM
No, I did not make a case for you. You give them one game where they give up 14 points and you say our defense it bad? Give me a break.

Again CD Sooner, you did not read what I said. I said that our D is no better then last year, not bad! It was OK most of the games last year since we were scoring 50 points or so, but that isn't going to cut it this year so the D is going to have to be better then they were last year.

Since you clearly do not have the ability to actually read what I say, this is going to be the last time I respond to you on this subject. At least I give you the respect to read what you say and not put words in your mouth as you have been doing with me!

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 06:03 PM
Again CD Sooner, you did not read what I said. I said that our D is no better then last year, not bad! It was OK most of the games last year since we were scoring 50 points or so, but that isn't going to cut it this year so the D is going to have to be better then they were last year.

Since you clearly do not have the ability to actually read what I say, this is going to be the last time I respond to you on this subject. At least I give you the respect to read what you say and not put words in your mouth as you have been doing with me!

How can you say that they are no better than last year after one game? You can't, I posted the scores for you, but sadly you are oblivous to everything everyone is trying to tell you.

okiewaker
9/6/2009, 06:05 PM
You also make my case. If our D had stopped BYU on their 3rd and 9, 3rd and 7, etc. plays, they would not have been on the field for 37 minutes.

Maybe so but the offense wasn't doing the defense any favors either. And, It was only the first game!!.

stoopified
9/6/2009, 06:22 PM
I think it is obvious by now that we need to look at how good our offensive coordinator is . We have lost far too many games because of his questionable calls, and lack of a winning strategy for a top tier team like OU.

How much is too much ? We have seen the Florida game disastrous play calling and we have seen this BYU game and others (Boise , TCU , CU ) . It is evident the team was not prepared and the OL seems too pedestrian for a team trying to win a national title . I am not convinced he has done the best with this OL yet. They looked like they have been put together last week . We did lose several due to graduation , but this is Oklahoma and that is why we have a recruiting base , depth , facilities and the supporting staff , in order to maintain continuity and to reload. What we saw is an underprepared OL and am also thinking Landry the freshman QB could have been better prepared for these situation (although he did try hard). We needed to reload and not start from scratch and under achieve on national TV.

It is not fair to go on without questioning Kevin Wilson at this stage and why stoops is keeping him .

I have seen several media press conferences for Stoops and have not heard one media guy ask stoops about Kevin Wilson and his questionable offensive strategies and abilities.
I have a feeling many of them are afraid to ask such a question as stoops can get pretty testy with the media.

It is easy for Stoops to answer that this is the most explosive offense last year . But let us be honest , the big 12 last year was not that great either and when we met top teams from the SEC there was trouble for OU and for others . Texas Tech was clobbered in Cotton bowl in dallas as well. There were other examples.

The defense cannot be held nearly as accountable . 14 points allowed with BYU should translate into a win for OU .,period .

Similar thing happened in the Florida game , we only scored 14 against Florida , mainy due to questionable play calling .

Kevin Wilso has been outcouached and actualy his predecessor as well (remember the USC fiasco) and we have not had a talented OL coach since Leach.

Stoops needs to start making changes .:):):):)
tixed,I assume this has to be a very BAD joke.Do you not recall setting the NCAA single season scoring record last year under Wilson?

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 06:24 PM
Some of them aren't joking.

SoonerLB
9/6/2009, 06:39 PM
What Kevin Wilson needs to do is get the plays called in a timely manner. This nonsense of our players staring at the sideline waiting on a play is ridiculous, especially when it gets relayed with only a few seconds on the play clock. Our guys barely have time to get set, let alone look at the opposition and think about what they have to do. I'm not so sure that some of the panic caused by play call delay didn't play a part in some of the miscues yesterday. I not only wanna scream at Wilson, I do every time I see those blank stares towards the sideline. Get the plays called and give the players a chance!

TXBOOMER
9/6/2009, 06:43 PM

I don't have much of a problem with Wilson other than he gets a little to conservative in tight games. The penalties are unacceptable though.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 06:47 PM
I don't have much of a problem with Wilson other than he gets a little to conservative in tight games. The penalties are unacceptable though.

Of course it is unacceptable because it makes us look like an undisciplined football team and if we truly are then things need to change.

Okie35
9/6/2009, 06:47 PM

Exactly and ran 73 plays to OUr 57 plays... the run defense was exceptional and I don't care if their original back was out...

Scott D
9/8/2009, 09:58 AM
this thread is pure comedy.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/8/2009, 10:09 AM
FIRE COACH OBAMA

BoulderSooner79
9/8/2009, 10:24 AM
KW needs to adapt to changes in the game. But that is a generic platitude that all coaches have to obey to be successful. As I said in another thread, I think the problem is relying solely on execution and not deception. It will win 90% of the games, but not the 10% critical games against other elite teams. It would have even won against BYU, a legit top 20 team. But I don't think it is enough against UF/UT/USC/Bama. With the no huddle, we already give up the deception of the snap count and I think that is a fair tradeoff in order to control substitution. But we still need creative play calling sequences to keep the defense guessing. We were only seriously challenged in 3 games last year and we went 1-2 in those games. In the 2 losses, the heart and sole of the team (the offense) didn't come through in the 2nd half and it seemed KW got conservative and the other team knew what was coming. You don't fire the guy that sets offensive records, but all coaches must be graded and continue to innovate.

jduggle
9/8/2009, 10:36 AM
I agree with your assessment. I tried to make a point in another post that the Florida game proved that the no-huddle is not going to be effective against good defenses. This year, Florida's defense is likely to be better than they were last year. Our coaches ultimately have to develop a scheme and game plan that will beat Florida. What we saw Saturday was the same basic offense that played Florida. How can we expect it to yield a different result against Florida, if Florida's defense is better and our o-line is inexperienced and unproven?

You are absolutely correct, we need innovation. This is true of both coordinators. We have seen them same defensive schemes now for quite some time and while most other defenses are moving to more man coverage, especially against the spread offenses, we stick with a fairly soft zone that relies on speed. Works great against the easy teams and is always exposed against the good teams because the transition areas in the middle of the field are always open.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/8/2009, 01:56 PM
FIRE CALVIN SIMPSON

starclassic tama
9/8/2009, 02:00 PM
score more points than anyone in the history of college football, get your heisman winner and stud TE hurt and lose the first game against a top 10 team and you should be fired. is this serious?

HBick
9/8/2009, 02:35 PM
I would prefer Heupel to take control of the offense, he's ready, and we're going to loose him soon. He was offered the OC position at Minnesota last year. But in the event that Wilson left/fired/or whatever else, would Stoops give Heupel the chance? I think Norvell might get it, he was the OC at UCLA when Dorell was there 2 years ago.

aurorasooner
9/8/2009, 07:46 PM
I hate the NFL preseason and usually watch very little of it, but after KW's comments, I can understand why the pros have it. We appear to be one of those teams where the coaches can't get a handle on how good our OL really is, and how they will transition from preseason practice to gameday situations. It seems like last year with our mostly Sr. OL, we had trouble moving our early opponents off the LOS and KW was quoted as saying something like the coaches just needed to kick them in the butt to get more physical.
Oklahoma offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson still can't believe what he saw. For close to a month, he and the rest of the Sooners' coaching staff watched a team practice with focus and conviction.

Then came the performance in Saturday night's 14-13 loss to No. 20 BYU at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. Wilson described it as a comedy of errors.

"We had practiced, I think, in a very strong way. Did not see that coming. Very disappointed. That's my fault, my responsibility," he said. "We will get it addressed and corrected and get our ship righted as it needs to be, and it needs to get righted very quickly."http://www.normantranscript.com/sports/local_story_250012918.html?keyword=topstory

ashley
9/8/2009, 07:53 PM
I am reminded of the scene in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest when they showed the inmates on the boat after they escaped from the hospital.

VA Sooner
9/8/2009, 09:00 PM
Got it all out of the system now... fumbles, penalties, bad play-calling, missed assignments... time to move on.

Idaho State is a nice tune-up.

pardon the interREDtion
9/8/2009, 10:10 PM
Not quite, very few, if any, of the BYU players could start for OU. Whose fault is it then that we lost?

MacPhatDaddy
9/8/2009, 10:25 PM
How many games has the offense lost.....

How many games has the defense given up a 4th qtr lead.....

This is something that perplexes me and I haven't seen it seriously addressed on the board. Maybe I missed it as I only come here for links to news articles, etc. I'm not emotionally connected to OU football.

OU had a month to prepare for Florida and it was clearly well spent because Florida's offense was stymied at times. However, in the fourth quarter they couldn't get Florida off the field at critical times. The same was true against BYU and OU had an entire off season to prepare for that game. That tells me they may be getting tired and are making mental mistakes (missed assignments etc). If I'm Bob Stoops I'm having a very serious sit down with my Strength & Conditioning coach immediately.

As for Kevin Wilson's play calling I think he needs the benefit of the doubt in this game. Assume he knew how sketchy the OL was and realized that deep passes (which require time to develop) might get his QB killed. I think where he, or somebody at OU, can be called to task is the apparent lack of depth on the OL and at TE. The way I see it these players should have received tons of playing experience last season while OU's starters were relaxing on the bench with a 40 point lead. Maybe the stories I read that claimed Stoops left the starters in games to run up the score so that Sam could win a Heisman were true. I don't know or care. If OU's coaching staff allowed themselves to be in a position where they did not have reliable backups or they did not take advantage of opportunities to get back ups in the game that's on them.

pardon the interREDtion
9/8/2009, 11:00 PM
Have to agree on getting the back ups more playing time in blow outs, makes sense on the getting experience point and protecting their health. But no pass for Wilson. Made the mistake with Florida and again with BYU. How many passes does he get?

Curly Bill
9/8/2009, 11:02 PM
Have to agree on getting the back ups more playing time in blow outs, makes sense on the getting experience point and protecting their health. But no pass for Wilson. Made the mistake with Florida and again with BYU. How many passes does he get?

Stoops is loyal to a fault. Unless Wilson or BV kills someone they're here forever. :(

Not to mention BJW. :( :(

pappy
9/9/2009, 01:59 AM
There are people on here blaming dropped passes in the first quarter by the wr's, but bradford was only 4 of 6 before the last drive...I suppose the 2 incompletions were drops? Wilson has sucked the last 2 games and stoops sucks when a ranked team has 2 weeks or more to prepare for him (losing record 9-10). Stoops will coach at ou until he wants to do something else and he knows it. He has zero chance of being fired b/c people for some reason think we couldn't get anyone as good or better. Stoops has lost his edge. He also won't fire his coordinators...never has, never will. They know that too. Yeah kevin wilson's offense broke the scoring record but lets face it they weren't exactly facing good defenses. Every defense they played except for tcu and florida were below average at best. BV's defense was prepared and played well enough to win, the offense failed. we should've beat florida if our offense was so good last year with florida only scoring 24 and we should've beat byu with them only scoring 14 points. Maybe people are too sensitive about the coaches here being so good simply because they are coaches here. Kind of like thinking a player is better than he actually is, just because he plays here and starts here.

pappy
9/9/2009, 02:02 AM
Another thing...why don't we run trick plays anymore? I heard some guy on Al's show ask this and the response was teams that aren't good enough to win run trick plays...last time I checked boise state runs trick plays and if I remember right they WON the fiesta bowl...so much for the teams who aren't good enough to win run trick plays comment..

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:06 AM
bradford was only 4 of 6 before the last drive...I suppose the 2 incompletions were drops?

At least one, to Tennell, was. Not sure on the second without going back to look, but if I had to bet I'd say that it too hit Tennell on the hands and he dropped it.

pappy
9/9/2009, 02:11 AM
yeah I remember I'm just saying 4-6 can't really blame too much on the drops with only 2 of them. you know?

Also lets not be too impressed if we put up 60 on idaho state. Lets save that for a defense like miami. (the being impressed that is...I want atleast half a hundred against idaho state)

Crucifax Autumn
9/9/2009, 02:48 AM
Hell, that only means we have to be less than twice as good as floriduh state.

Sooner70
9/9/2009, 05:44 AM
Running the Meerkat offense on the one foot line and losing track of play clock because of Meerkatting and doing all those gyrations is dumb.

I don't blame KW for the Boise State loss as much as I do the defense for getting sucked in on those trick plays. 'Course our defense also got sucked in Sat nite when 3 guys were defensing TE Pitta and left the other guy wide open on the last TD catch.

prrriiide
9/9/2009, 06:27 AM
Defense played great Saturday. I have few issues with them. RR needs to improve his coverage. But even NFL defenses have breakdowns that go for big yardage. I just watched the Super Bowl between AZ and Pitt when Fitzgerald scored on a 64-yard pass play with 2:37 left to give Zona the lead. Defensive breakdowns happen. BYU only had 3 plays over 20 yards. They had 10 that went for negative yardage, 3 of which happened on that 8:44 drive in the 4th.

We try to get the opponent's defense to have a breakdown. Do you not expect them to try for the same against OU? Do you not expect that a good/very good offense might not be able to find a weakness somewhere and exploit it?

Florida has won two of the last 3 NCs. But in one of those seasons, Auburn found a weakness and exploited it. Last season, Ole Miss found a weakness and exploited it. The best teams, EVERY SINGLE YEAR, have weaknesses that can be exploited. Sometimes those weaknesses aren't easily fixed.

Would you prefer that RR wasn't on the field becasue he has difficulty in covering TEs/Slots across the middle? Not me! He's too valuable to the run D. So what's the solution? If you have RR in there, there's a weakness to be exploited. But if you take him out, there's a MUCH BIGGER weakness to be exploited. So make the choice: hemmorhoids or jock itch.

1:40. That was OU's time of possession in the 4th quarter. 8:44. That's how long BYU's long 4th quarter drive was. 17 plays. I don't care what training regimen you have followed, as a defender in that situation YOU WILL BE GASSED. GK tried tapping out several times, and didn't get it. The linebackers and secondary were running 40 yard sprints over and over. Even with a 25 second blow between them, they take an enormous toll. I doubt that there is a player in ANY league ANYWHERE that cold keep that tempo up and not drop a step or two from being TOTALLY GASSED. BYU was able to substitute, OU wasn't, becasue a gassed GK is still better than a fresh Cordero Moore.

The offense DID NOT EXECUTE. Most of the problems were mental breakdowns that are very difficult to predict and fix as a coach. You can't predict that 3 of your first 7 plays will be penalties. You can't predict that there will be a miscommunication between your Heisman QB and his blindside tackle that gets your QB hurt. You can't predict that your offensive line will go from road graders in practice to road kill in the game.

Wilson has made some boneheaded playcalls in our last two games, and for that he has apologized. I will wait to see if he makes adjustments and fixes whatever is going on in his head before I summon the executioner. But don't forget: in a situation like Saturday, you are not the surgeon trying to stop the hemmorhaging that's coming from 4 or 5 places, all of them potentially fatal. It's really easy to lose sight of the forest when you are in the trees. Or, to use the old coonass saying: when you're up to your *** in alligators, sometimes you forget that the idea was to drain the swamp.

Wilson has manned up and taken the blame for his mistakes. Now that he has done that, we'll see what he does about it. But Saturday night, he was handed a shyt sandwich. He didn't react well to it, but how many of us can honestly say that when something in your life or job has completely gone to hell, that you immediately knew what to do, and not only that, what the tenth move from now needs to be? In most situations when extreme adversity hits you are afforded the luxury of time to sort things out. When you don't have the time, you'll likely as not go possum in the headlights for a bit while you try to figure out which catastrophe to address first. Meanwhile another is headed right at you. D-1 coaches don't have that luxury of time in the middle of a game. They have to decide RIGHT NOW what to do. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. And sometimes, they freeze in the headlights. Especially if, like Saturday night, they feel like a possum in the middle of rush hour I-35.

Before you start calling for Wilson's or Venables' heads on a platter, think about how you handle a perfect storm of adversity in your job. If you can (with a straight face) tell me that you always know what to do in any situation, then I guess you can be the next OC or DC for OU. But if not, let's wait to see how the rest of the season plays out when someone hasn't dumped a bucket of feces into the air handling unit.

unbiasedtruth
9/9/2009, 08:29 AM
Of all the OCs under Stoops Mangino is/was the best. My only knock on KW is he is to predictable (conservative) on the play he is going to call given the down, yards to go and field position.

Think back to the 2006 Big XII championship game..... Stoops had to override the call KW was making for the pass play to JG for the 1st down out to the 25 yard line or so from the 2. KW wanted another running play. We all know that led to the 99 & 2/3 yard drive right up the vaulted Blackshirt's backdoor.

Fast forward to this past Saturday on a punt that BYU downed at the 1 foot line. By that point in the game you know he was going to try to run run run.... I thought play action pass on 1st down, receiver in tight, down the seam would have caught BYU flat footed as that had 8-9 guys in the box to stop the run.

In other words its time to put the pedal to the metal and open this baby up.... hold nothing back... become wild and unpredictable.....

interesting tidbit from ESPN and TG....

"Here’s a nugget courtesy of ESPN’s Stats & Information that I found fascinating in light of what happened last week in the Oklahoma-BYU game. Before every pass Bradford threw, the Oklahoma quarterback lined up in the shotgun, and every time he handed the ball off, he was under center. It could have taken the BYU defense a few drives to figure that out, but on the last drive of the half, linebacker Coleby Clawson hit Bradford twice in three plays coming from the same spot, and eventually knocked him out of the game. To start the second half, backup quarterback Landry Jones lined up in the shotgun and handed the ball off.

A-M
9/9/2009, 01:07 PM
Just wish my job paid me as much as his does. If so, I'm sure I'd be expected to change a bad work habit as he should be expected to do by us. Just saying he needs to make a change or two in his work habits to get us back to being a #1 contender.

tanjou
9/9/2009, 01:18 PM
Are you ****ting me. There are problems on this team, maybe even in the coaching staff, but they aren't with Kevin Wilson.

soon3rfan
10/16/2009, 10:54 AM
Ok, I am tired of hearing how KW is one of the best OC's in the country. You are going to tell me that anyone on our staff couldn't have had the same success with the players we had last year? Thats the Joke, Send that fool packing back to the offensive wasteland he came from in the Big 10! I'm not just saying that because of this year, but I have never like his gameplan. Even if we beat Texas I will be screaming this till he is gone. Maybe one of the Big 12 North teams need an overrated OC for next year? I can only pray to the lord for this.

IronHorseSooner
10/16/2009, 11:02 AM
Maybe one of the Big 12 North teams need an overrated OC for next year? I can only pray to the lord for this.

Maybe he could go to CU. I am sure they will have some vacancies up there after this year!

goingoneight
10/16/2009, 11:06 AM
The team fails to execute and it's the coaches' fault.

yawn.

gaylordfan1
10/16/2009, 11:24 AM
Ok, I am tired of hearing how KW is one of the best OC's in the country. You are going to tell me that anyone on our staff couldn't have had the same success with the players we had last year? Thats the Joke, Send that fool packing back to the offensive wasteland he came from in the Big 10! I'm not just saying that because of this year, but I have never like his gameplan. Even if we beat Texas I will be screaming this till he is gone. Maybe one of the Big 12 North teams need an overrated OC for next year? I can only pray to the lord for this.

Be careful what you wish for. Norvell is next in line! If Wilson leaves, which he prob will, it will be to a pro team. I personally hope he stays. There has been some questionable play calls, but if the line blocks and the WRs catch the ball, he would be praised!

boomermagic
10/16/2009, 11:38 AM

So, You didn't like his gameplan when his offense scored 60 or more in 5 games last year ? Man, Your kinda hard to please.. KW is not the problem.. besides even if he was Bob would be the problem for not getting rid of him..
I know there are some team problems but most of it {NOT ALL} is we are inexperienced on the OL and as a result our offensive production is down.. that also has an effect on a teams defense and overall team period.. Do I think Mike Stoops is a better coach than BV ? Yes i do but he ain't here folks.. Do I think there are better coaches than Bob ? Yes i do but they ain't here.. Am I saying Bob is bad and needs to be replaced ? HELL NO...

Scott D
10/16/2009, 11:39 AM
man you people want to make me find some of the threads on this board from around the 2006 holiday bowl.

Jack T.
10/16/2009, 12:04 PM
The team fails to execute and it's the coaches' fault.

yawn.

If the team executed perfectly every time, we'd only need one play. . .and no coaches.

Gresho Murford
10/16/2009, 03:08 PM

Stoops needs to start making changes .

shut the **** up faggot

C&CDean
10/16/2009, 05:53 PM
I think we've covered this topic ad nauseum. Every time a receiver drops a pass, a lineman whiffs a block or holds or leg whips or jumps, every time a RB fumbles, and every time a pass is thrown slightly behind/above/below a receiver it's KWs fault. Or was it Vulnerables.

What a stupid thread. Say goodnight.