PDA

View Full Version : **Wildcat Play**

Lott's Bandana
9/6/2009, 03:30 AM
Worked pretty well, with both Chris Brown and DeMarco. But naturally KW abandoned it. 'Cause it worked?

What I don't understand...why didn't we run it in the second half? A new QB taking snaps could be bolstered with Wildcat plays that would have lessened the pressure on LJones, perhaps once a series or so.

nBoSTP
9/6/2009, 06:59 AM
I actually was kind of wondering why they didn't try this on their final drive when they needed a few extra yards for a more makeable FG.

OU-HSV
9/6/2009, 07:02 AM
Yep I was wondering the very same thing

swardboy
9/6/2009, 07:03 AM
Excellent point. Maybe we should work the heck out of it on Idaho State.

Sooner-N-KS
9/6/2009, 07:58 AM
The play was successful, but it wasn't the right time for it. The offense is trying to get into a rhythm, and the wild horsepig doesn't do that.

I think that play call was a reflection of the problem going on in Kevin Wilson's head. He had some cocky game plan that he's been working on all summer, and he wasn't going to change it.

The first problem was the OL penalties, and the team needed to make up for those shortcomings. Wilson wasn't going to let the penalties get in his way.

Why was Calhoun and Madu in at running back so early when Murray and Brown were effective? Why did Wilson give Clapp the ball on 3rd & 6? Why the wild horsepig when Sam was trying to get the team in rhythm?

SoonerDood
9/6/2009, 07:59 AM
Or maybe just roll the pocket once in a while? They teed off on Sam and Jones all night. We rolled out once-and completed a pass for a first down on the final drive!
This same stuff happened the last time Sam got hurt. Instead of changing the gameplan for a new QB, KW just kept going. And it cost us.

oupride
9/6/2009, 08:13 AM
Who took the snap on that play? Anyone know? I looked and could not read the jersey number.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:19 AM
Who took the snap on that play? Anyone know? I looked and could not read the jersey number.

Chris Brown I believe.

Lott's Bandana
9/6/2009, 11:48 AM
Both Chris Brown (flanker handoff to Broyles) and DeMarco ran this...DeMarco ran up the middle. They used it on two different drives, both with Sam as wide-out.

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2009, 12:07 PM
I thought Calhoun took the snap the first time?

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 12:08 PM
I thought Calhoun took the snap the first time?

I actually couldn't tell, it could have been.

rainiersooner
9/6/2009, 12:12 PM
Why did Wilson give Clapp the ball on 3rd & 6?

Because Wilson is the smartest man in the world and no DC will ever see that coming!

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 12:15 PM
Because Wilson is the smartest man in the world and no DC will ever see that coming!

I have seen a lot of teams do this. It will be 3rd and 15 and they will run it. I have seen Oklahoma State do this a lot. It makes no sense to me....

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2009, 12:18 PM
Well when you have the Heisman winner at QB you would think a pass would have been in order there instead of giving the ball to Clapp

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 12:46 PM
Funniest thing about the Matt Clapp play....what the hell does it matter what you call when Trent Williams gets tagged with a Chop Block?

On 3rd down a veteran Senior OL guy kills a drive.

We had way to many penalties.

Same series Sam throws to Dejuan Miller. Nobody asks why? A Sophomore with 2 catches for 14 yards in an Offense that broke records last year?

Seriously...the loss of Gresham hurt us. It's a weapon that wasn't there for Sam or Landry. Having Brody Eldridge at center hurt not having a guy to sneak a few passes to IMO.

Brody was an experienced guy that was lost to the receiving corp.

Plenty of stuff is different this year. Wilson and Heupel have their work cut out for them.

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2009, 01:01 PM
Count me in the minority, but I think that 'wildcat' formation is better left to the junior high offenses of the world. No offense but it's a tactic meant to confuse a defense, it doesn't force the defense to make any major adjustments, and we don't have the personnel to make it anything more than a telegraphed run.

I mean, are we really retaining the option to have slow-white-guy Sam Bradford run a fly route? And are we then willing to have his head get knocked off if a pass goes his way?

Abandoning that thing was maybe the one smart thing Wilson did in this game. Just my opinion.

BornandBred
9/6/2009, 01:10 PM
Funniest thing about the Matt Clapp play....what the hell does it matter what you call when Trent Williams gets tagged with a Chop Block?

On 3rd down a veteran Senior OL guy kills a drive.

We had way to many penalties.

Same series Sam throws to Dejuan Miller. Nobody asks why? A Sophomore with 2 catches for 14 yards in an Offense that broke records last year?

Seriously...the loss of Gresham hurt us. It's a weapon that wasn't there for Sam or Landry. Having Brody Eldridge at center hurt not having a guy to sneak a few passes to IMO.

Brody was an experienced guy that was lost to the receiving corp.

Plenty of stuff is different this year. Wilson and Heupel have their work cut out for them.

I think the biggest thing Gresham not being there effected was the play calling. I don't think we ever threw to the TE all game. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I never saw that outlet as an option. Maybe they were holding the TE in as an extra blocker, but I felt like we avoided stretching the D and dropping off to the TE underneath. I haven't seen the film, just live, but we recruit people to that position because they can play. We shouldn't be hosed just cause our starting TE can't play a game. The play calling shouldn't have been effected, IMO.

starclassic tama
9/6/2009, 01:17 PM
BYU used their tight end perfectly

oupride
9/6/2009, 01:56 PM
Well when you have the Heisman winner at QB you would think a pass would have been in order there instead of giving the ball to Clapp
TOF has stated clearly what I was thinking. Thanks.

oupride
9/6/2009, 02:01 PM
Count me in the minority, but I think that 'wildcat' formation is better left to the junior high offenses of the world.
Unfortunately, it looked kinda silly. If the coaches felt comfortable running it with the starting QB in the game, then why didn't they call it with the starting QB out of the game? Why did they show it at all? It was bizarre. I would have much rather seen a fake punt attempt. It looked to me that BYU might have bitten on that.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 02:04 PM
I think the biggest thing Gresham not being there effected was the play calling. I don't think we ever threw to the TE all game. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I never saw that outlet as an option. Maybe they were holding the TE in as an extra blocker, but I felt like we avoided stretching the D and dropping off to the TE underneath. I haven't seen the film, just live, but we recruit people to that position because they can play. We shouldn't be hosed just cause our starting TE can't play a game. The play calling shouldn't have been effected, IMO.

I've been breaking down the Offense since last night. We threw to the tight end but Gresham not being in there hurt last night. He's lots more physical and has the experience to get open.

SoonerInSpringdale
9/6/2009, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't mind us using a few times every game to keep the defense off balance. You use it immediately, get up after a play, get to the line and go - creates confusion.

What I don't like is ever having Sam out to side where he has the potential of getting injured trying to block.

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2009, 02:12 PM
Count me in the minority, but I think that 'wildcat' formation is better left to the junior high offenses of the world. No offense but it's a tactic meant to confuse a defense, it doesn't force the defense to make any major adjustments, and we don't have the personnel to make it anything more than a telegraphed run.

I mean, are we really retaining the option to have slow-white-guy Sam Bradford run a fly route? And are we then willing to have his head get knocked off if a pass goes his way?

Abandoning that thing was maybe the one smart thing Wilson did in this game. Just my opinion.

Who cares if the defenses know we are going to run the ball in that formation? We got 6 yards per carry on it and Wilson never shows it again; what happened to going with plays that actually work during a game?

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2009, 02:22 PM
Who cares if the defenses know we are going to run the ball in that formation? We got 6 yards per carry on it and Wilson never shows it again; what happened to going with plays that actually work during a game?

I'm thinking Wilson realizes it's a call you make to try & catch the defense off guard and if all you got is a running option, the defense is gonna start stuffing it. It's not a bread-and-butter type play.

We had zero identity on offense last night, even when Bradford was in the game. Oy..

Lott's Bandana
9/6/2009, 06:15 PM
One penalty per series is like only having 3 downs to convert. No rhythm, for Sam or for Landry.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 06:39 PM
One penalty per series is like only having 3 downs to convert. No rhythm, for Sam or for Landry.

However...the two scoring drives in the first half were 6 play drives.

I do think it affected 4 of the drives in the first half...2 others were fumbles.

8 drives...if four of them had been TDs...it would have been 28 -7 at half.

A much different 2nd half had Landry had to step in.

soonermix
9/6/2009, 07:33 PM
i hated it. why would you take the ball out of a heisman trophy winners hands?

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 08:19 PM
Because he was having trouble finding someone to throw to?

Tennell dropped two passes in the 1st qtr and we went to the run and then back to the pass and then Broyles fumbled the ball.

Even the last series when Sam got hurt Tennell, Caleb and Ratterree all got thrown to and delivered incomplete.

The passing game was struggling too.

I'd say Wilson was about to have a stroke and was gonna chew some *** at the half...then Sam got hurt.

I'm betting that changed things at the half from what it was going to be.

TXBOOMER
9/6/2009, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=Sooner-N-KS;2693153]The play was successful, but it wasn't the right time for it. The offense is trying to get into a rhythm, and the wild horsepig doesn't do that.

Rhythm? There was not going to be a rhythm established once Sam went out of the game because of the lack of experience on the field. We needed yards. We should not have quit using what was working. We needed to get the ball in Murray and Brown's hands as much as possible and we didn't do it.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 08:53 PM
BYU never got into any rhythm either.

Watching that game was disturbing. Both live and the replay I saw tonight on ESPNU.

Between the refs and the broadcast...it all seemed odd.

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2009, 09:44 PM
BYU never got into any rhythm either.

Watching that game was disturbing. Both live and the replay I saw tonight on ESPNU.

Between the refs and the broadcast...it all seemed odd.

What conference were the refs from? It seemed like all they wanted to do was throw flags in the first quarter on both teams; i realize the first games are usually not clean but sometimes it bordered on being ridiculous