PDA

View Full Version : What are you most shocked by?? List your thoughts....

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 01:16 AM
1. Shocked by how we were severly out coached.
a) Too many penalties by offense, this comes down to coaching
b) Bad play calls in the redzone, coaching
c) The exploitation of our blocking scheme against BYUs blitzing, coaching
d) Lack of ball security, coaching
e) Lack of confidence in Landry Jones, coaching
f) The fact that Stoops didnt take the blame and put it all on the players in the presser, coaching

2. I love our coaches and I think we have some great coaches, but I think we need to get back to the basics...WILDCAT offense, whats the need for it when you have Sam Heisman Bradford at QB.

I'm just going to stop here before i get too angry

SPuL
9/6/2009, 01:18 AM
for f? You have any quotes? I'd never expect stoops to do that :eek:

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 01:19 AM
Lack of confidence in the passing game. How many passes did we attempt over 10 yards?

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 01:30 AM
I saw the presser while they were doing the highlights of the game but I cant find a link for it sorry.. But Bob goes into how his players perform, but never accepts the blame for poor coaching

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 01:31 AM
{Stoops} We just didn't execute. {Stoops}

:rolleyes:

:O

SOONER44EVER
9/6/2009, 01:31 AM
I saw the presser while they were doing the highlights of the game but I cant find a link for it sorry.. But Bob goes into how his players perform, but never accepts the blame for poor coaching

Its never Bob's fault. Never has been , never will be.

sooner59
9/6/2009, 01:40 AM
Well, I'm a little surprised that our O-line was as atrocious as it was. And secondly, I'm a little shocked that Demarco Murray didn't do a whole lot. A few decent runs and a couple of fumbles. Last year our offense was great and our defense was hard to watch most of the time. Exact opposite this year. And putting up 60+ on Idaho St. isn't going to solve anything.

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 01:42 AM
Its never Bob's fault. Never has been , never will be.

So true, I love Bob though, simply because there really isnt no one who can replace him... but I get a bit jealous when I see other teams who come out week 1 well coached like the Pete Carrolls, Nick Sabans, Urban Meyers, and Les Miles of the college football world:mad:

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/6/2009, 01:47 AM
1. We NEVER attempted to stretch the field with Broyles or Tennell.
2. Offensive play calling, KW picked up right where he left of in the MNC.
3. Lack of leaving blockers in to give Landry and Sam time to throw.
4. O line looked unprepared and played horribly. Brody did a damn fine job at center.
5. Demarco in the passing game or being used as a check down. He's amazing in the open field, we never gave him a shot except one play I believe.
6. Defensive communication looked bad. The D played exceptional but did anyone else notice them being turned around and looking lost on numerous plays pre snap?
7. Coaching was sub par from what we've grown to know, love, and expect.
8. Penalties killed our offense, coaching is to blame in part for that.

En_Fuego
9/6/2009, 01:49 AM
1. Not prepared
2. Average players that are over hyped
3. 6th grade football mistakes
4. Below average assistant coaching skills
5. Over hyped, cocky, arogant
6. Below average recruiting

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 01:56 AM
1. Not prepared

I'll agree with 1 through 4... but number 5 you do have to have somewhat of a swagger while playing this sport. and 6 we do a fine job of recruiting but it seems like we aren't transforming some of our players into their maximum potential

Breadburner
9/6/2009, 02:01 AM
Turnovers....And give BYU some credit....

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 02:02 AM
I'll give em some credit but we are definitely a better team

NOVSooner
9/6/2009, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=CaliBornSoonerBred;2693038]1. We NEVER attempted to stretch the field with Broyles or Tennell.

Tennell dropped almost every pass that came his way. the only reliable hands we had was caleb and broyles (most of the attempts at least). and the one time, yes one time, we tried to stretch it landry underthrew the guy. agree we didn't stretch the field enough though.

nBoSTP
9/6/2009, 07:07 AM
What never ceases to amaze me is the lack of ability to disguise a blitz. They seem to give away where and when they are blitzing from way to early a lot. The other teams quarterback will always recognize this and throw to side they are blitzing from. When Oklahoma is able to disguise their blitz package it really is quite effective. So lets try some more of that instead. Another thing I notice is that if I know everytime they line up in shotgun that they are passing the ball, don't you think the other team would figure that out also? That being said Sam was getting into a rythym right before he got hurt and we would have no doubt won that game had he remained healthy.

Don't brake for Longhorns
9/6/2009, 07:30 AM
Both teams had an inexperienced offensive line. On oline did a good job the other looked like it was their first game. How can BYU disguise blitzes and get through on passing downs and we cannot. Sam's injury was the olines and coaching staffs fault. IT would be hard to find a better coach than ours. Bob is a good coach but continues to get out coached by guys with more heart.

PLaw
9/6/2009, 07:38 AM
I'll give em some credit but we are definitely a better team

We may want to think we are a better team, but we're not. We lost, period. There's a lot of work to do.

soonerloyal
9/6/2009, 07:46 AM
1. That many fans on this board just can't deal with any sort of loss. I swear, some of you youngun's are so ungrateful, you'd gripe with a ham under each arm.

Sooner football didn't start in 2000, and it isn't ending in 2009.

Now I'm not tellin' ya to turn your nose up at any examination of possible problems. I am reminding you that we've had it worse. Much worse.

Take a deep breath and

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/aerosmith-get-grip.jpg

:D

East Coast Bias
9/6/2009, 07:55 AM
The play calling and overall coaching was horrendous. I agree that we are too easy to read on offense and defense and i think that comes from our cockiness. We are going to line up and beat you with talent. Hang half a hundred on you!! Those days are gone, it takes hard work, motivation and discipline. All coachable elements. We play some teams this year (Tulsa) that squeeze every drop of talent out of their players, we need more of that ....

OU-HSV
9/6/2009, 08:37 AM
What never ceases to amaze me is the lack of ability to disguise a blitz. They seem to give away where and when they are blitzing from way to early a lot. The other teams quarterback will always recognize this and throw to side they are blitzing from. When Oklahoma is able to disguise their blitz package it really is quite effective. So lets try some more of that instead. Another thing I notice is that if I know everytime they line up in shotgun that they are passing the ball, don't you think the other team would figure that out also? That being said Sam was getting into a rythym right before he got hurt and we would have no doubt won that game had he remained healthy.

My buddies and I were talking about all the damn blitzes...it was driving us nuts.
At one point in the 3rd or 4th qtr... our LB's lined up side by side..maybe not even an arm's length apart and it was obvious they were simply going to run up the middle and blitz. That kind of play call does us no good. All it does is guarantee our opponent that we have two blitzing and we're going to leave some people open. Not to mention I think this was on a 3rd down that they completed across the middle for at least 12 yards. I can't believe BV can't disguise our blitzes better than lining them up side by side and telling them to run straight forward. BV does that for a living...I'd like for him to earn his living in a better way.
I feel like I end up typing this kind of stuff every season, but does anyone agree with me that our Defensive play seems so spotty year in and year out??

Some positives from the defense last night (as others have said) was the play of our front 4 (especially McCoy...what a stud). And Travis Lewis once again seemed like he was all over the place...kid is a stud too.
Not sure I can say a whole lot of positives about the DBs..seemed they got turned around quite a bit. Maybe they had first game jitters or something, who knows.
Bottom line is the D must get better.

All that being said the blame can't lay only on the defense.

-I'm not an offensive coordinator...but Kevin Wilson is supposed to be. So all I can do as a fan is wonder WTF is going through his head during these type of games. Whether it was hokie or not, the wildcat was gaining yards in the first half. And as others have said I don't recall it being used in the second half when our Heisman QB was out for the game. WTF?
Why do we get to the redzone/goal line and try to run it so much.
I just find the playcalling odd in these situations like the gaytor game and this BYU game for example.
We know Kevin's game plans work more often than they don't....but why can't we win the close games like this one...like the texass game last year...like the gaytor game, etc.

The O-Line play was awful. I was really getting concerned that Landry was going to get hurt as well. And the penalties...I mean holy sh*t man!

Props to Landry for moving the ball even when he knew he was going to be under tons of pressure (in more ways than one).

Okay, so I was venting. All that being said, it sucks to lose a player like Sam. That kind of situation will always make it hard to win a game.

But props to BYU for the win. They are a tough team and they played hard and did what they had to do to win.
Hopefully the Sooner players and the coaches learned a lot from this game.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:43 AM
1. Not prepared

2. Who are these "average players you speak of?

3. I can agree with this one.

5. I do not believe that we were cocky, or arrogant. Every interview that I watched has led me to believe that they believed it was going to take a lot to win it.

6. This one is just stupid and you must not follow recruiting to much.

TMcGee86
9/6/2009, 08:46 AM
1. That we obviously didn't learn anything from last season's ending. We still get on the goal line and look completely lost. How we didn't spend the offseason fixing that is beyond me.

2. that our wideouts could not catch to save their lives. It's not like we ran out a bunch of true freshman out there. I just never thought that would be a problem.

OU-HSV
9/6/2009, 08:49 AM
1. That we obviously didn't learn anything from last season's ending. We still get on the goal line and look completely lost. How we didn't spend the offseason fixing that is beyond me.

2. that our wideouts could not catch to save their lives. It's not like we ran out a bunch of true freshman out there. I just never thought that would be a problem.

I agree...lost at the goal line is the best description.

As far as the wideouts...I agree except for Brandon Caleb. Seemed like he was consistent in this game. He caught a lot of passes and some in key moments. I need to go see what his stats were, but it sure seemed to me like he played solid.

TMcGee86
9/6/2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah I agree, Caleb was the lone bright spot.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:52 AM
Uhhh, where was Cameron Kenney? I don't remember EVER seeing him.

OklaPony
9/6/2009, 08:54 AM
Dom Franks releasing his man in the end zone to make a move on a tight end that was already double-covered absolutely made me scream at the TV.

Not calling a timeout on the BYU 4th down play was atrocious although it looked like one of our linebackers MIGHT have been trying to do so (didn't see a replay).

Not leaving a fullback in to protect our passer after getting pounded 3 times and chased twice is ridiculous... we're lucky we didn't lose 2 QB's last night.

Holding, holding, holding. The all-time drive killer for OU.

OU-HSV
9/6/2009, 08:54 AM

Wow, I didn't even think about that. It seemed they've been hyping him up the last few weeks. And now that you mention it I don't think I saw him. Maybe he was out there some, but I just looked at the stats..no catches for him.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:55 AM
Wow, I didn't even think about that. It seemed they've been hyping him up the last few weeks. And now that you mention it I don't think I saw him. Maybe he was out there some, but I just looked at the stats..no catches for him.

Exactly! I just thought about that too! Dejuan Miller had a nice catch and then I don't think he got any playing time after that. Weird.....

sooner518
9/6/2009, 08:57 AM
That on 4th and 1 on the goal line, up by 3, we allow the playclock to run down to 10, try to call an audible and NO ONE ON THE SIDELINE CALLED A TIMEOUT!!!!

What is there to audible on that play? Line up in the I, let Clapp lead the way for Brown and run it down their throats! If they stop it, so be it. but we never got the chance.

TMcGee86
9/6/2009, 08:58 AM

totally agree. I was saying that last night. And why wasn't he in there on 4th and 5 from the 50 when we punted. If we are going down in flames, at least we could have made it interesting.

sooneron
9/6/2009, 08:59 AM
I wish I could say that I was shocked by choice b).

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 08:59 AM
That on 4th and 1 on the goal line, up by 3, we allow the playclock to run down to 10, try to call an audible and NO ONE ON THE SIDELINE CALLED A TIMEOUT!!!!

What is there to audible on that play? Line up in the I, let Clapp lead the way for Brown and run it down their throats! If they stop it, so be it. but we never got the chance.

I think the fullback dive would have done wonders in that situation. When they play clock was running down I wasn't worried at all because someone usually calls a timeout on the sideline when that happens, but I guess someone dropped the ball, or just didn't do it for some reason.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 09:00 AM
And poor Tress Way. The first kick of his career from what? 54 yards? and pretty much for the game?

Poor guy.

TMcGee86
9/6/2009, 09:01 AM
Dom Franks releasing his man in the end zone to make a move on a tight end that was already double-covered absolutely made me scream at the TV.

Not calling a timeout on the BYU 4th down play was atrocious although it looked like one of our linebackers MIGHT have been trying to do so (didn't see a replay).

Not leaving a fullback in to protect our passer after getting pounded 3 times and chased twice is ridiculous... we're lucky we didn't lose 2 QB's last night.

Holding, holding, holding. The all-time drive killer for OU.

I was surprised how much Franks' guy was open last night a lot.

And I agree I was amazingly surprised by how BYU a team that doesnt run a no huddle, can line up and get a first down catching our defense completely offguard, and we a team who's base offense is no huddle, can't line up on fourth down and do anything without jumping offsides or looking back to the coaches for the play.

sooneron
9/6/2009, 09:03 AM
Anyone have a link to the post game presser? I can't find one.

sooner518
9/6/2009, 09:03 AM
I think the fullback dive would have done wonders in that situation. When they play clock was running down I wasn't worried at all because someone usually calls a timeout on the sideline when that happens, but I guess someone dropped the ball, or just didn't do it for some reason.

to me, this was the most egregious error we made in the game, and it was the sideline's fault. With 4 secnods on the playclock and Landry yelling to the O-line, I thought to myself "surely one of the coaches is going to call a timeout........WTF!?!?!"

so many freakin missed chances.

wishbonesooner
9/6/2009, 09:07 AM
I guess I'm most shocked by, despite having one of, if not the highest, paid coaches in America, that we lose ballgames exactly the same way over and over. I'm shocked that Bob apparently does not believe there is anything that needs changing. Bob is our coach, and he knows football better than any of us ever will, but I'm shocked that he refuses to change one thing when it comes to coaching, preparation, game plans, anything. I'm most shocked by my gut feeling that OU will never win another natl. championship with Bob Stoops as head coach because of the things I stated above.

OU-HSV
9/6/2009, 09:08 AM
And poor Tress Way. The first kick of his career from what? 54 yards? and pretty much for the game?

Poor guy.

I agree. I've been on the wagon to let Tress kick FGs because of how powerful his leg was when he played at Union, and because of how iff'y Stevens looked last year. Tress looked jacked up and ready to nail that FG...but that's a tough situation to come into. I really thought he was going to hit it.

Let's hope this doesn't happen...but as soon as Stevens shows any inconsistency I say let Tress have another shot at it.

sooner518
9/6/2009, 09:11 AM
it was a bad situation for Tress, but I agree with Bob's decision to kick there. Chanaces of hitting a FG that long are probably around 20%, but converting 4th and 14 were even worse.

OU-HSV
9/6/2009, 09:13 AM
I guess I'm most shocked by, despite having one of, if not the highest, paid coaches in America, that we lose ballgames exactly the same way over and over. I'm shocked that Bob apparently does not believe there is anything that needs changing. Bob is our coach, and he knows football better than any of us ever will, but I'm shocked that he refuses to change one thing when it comes to coaching, preparation, game plans, anything. I'm most shocked by my gut feeling that OU will never win another natl. championship with Bob Stoops as head coach because of the things I stated above.

I hate to say it, but I know what your saying and I agree.

However, don't get me wrong anybody...I am in no way calling for Bob's head. I repeat I'm not calling for Bob to get fired or leave. Im simply saying that what I find myself wondering every year is why can't Bob fix whatever the problems are?

meoveryouxinfinity
9/6/2009, 09:23 AM
1. Shocked by how we were severly out coached.
a) Too many penalties by offense, this comes down to coaching
b) Bad play calls in the redzone, coaching
c) The exploitation of our blocking scheme against BYUs blitzing, coaching
d) Lack of ball security, coaching
e) Lack of confidence in Landry Jones, coaching
f) The fact that Stoops didnt take the blame and put it all on the players in the presser, coaching

2. I love our coaches and I think we have some great coaches, but I think we need to get back to the basics...WILDCAT offense, whats the need for it when you have Sam Heisman Bradford at QB.

I'm just going to stop here before i get too angry

WOW point on.

wishbonesooner
9/6/2009, 09:25 AM
Well, I don't want Bob to leave either. He's a great coach, I don't know who we could find to ever replace him. I just wish he'd look like these losses bother him.

IronHorseSooner
9/6/2009, 09:33 AM
I was talking last night with a guy who knows football a lot better than I, and asked him to give a simple explanation on the D and the O. On the D, he said it was poor fundamentals. The players are out there looking to make the big play on every play, instead of wrapping up, and staying with their man. He said that there is too much arm and leg tackling. On O, he said that the scheme is too complicated. In short yardage, it should have been just giving to your back and seeing who the bigger man was. Bottom line, it is all coaching, and these are the same D problems we were talking about in 2003 against KSTATE, and the same O problems from the last few years. I am not saying that we need to fire people, but there needs to be a fundamental change on how things are done.

tigepilot
9/6/2009, 11:00 AM
The biggest positive I can take away from this is that I think Landry Jones will be fine if given a chance. He looked to be well prepared and ready to play and has a rocket arm. He was also on target more than the last time we had a back-up qb come in. He really must shave that hick stache though.

As far as giving Jones a chance though, that has to be some of the worst offensive line play I've ever seen. It wasn't just that they couldn't read the blitzes properly but what's with all the false starts and holding penalties? What's the record for holding penalties in one game? It was like the coaches just cobbled a bunch of guys together and said "go out there and block" and just left it as that. This is supposed the be Kevin Wilson's best line ever? If these guys don't get it together, this will be a very long season.

Gresham was missed badly. OU didn't really have anyone that could come close to contributing what Gresham does.

Why the hell were they even playing with that Wildcat **** when you have a heisman trophy winner for a quarterback? Getting too cute and need to refocus on the fundamentals.

I do think that OU should have gone for it instead of taking the 3 but I don't think that was a killer like some others on here have stated. It would still be a big risk as it was.

On OU's last drive, they started with good field position with just over 3 minutes and all their timeouts and all they needed was to get to field goal range. What was with all the passing attempts? There was plenty of time.

I don't see what the point was of trying to kick a 54 yard field goal at the end. I don't think anyone in the stadium thought he had a chance. Getting a first down was really unlikely but at least there was a chance.

The defense at times looked great and at times looked lost. I do think the defenses problems will smooth out as the season goes on. They usually do and by October, this will be one of the best defenses in the country. Right now it is not.

As for the rest of the season...

Obviously the sooner that Bradford and Gresham are back the better but if I had to pick one that was more important it would be Gresham only because I liked what I saw from Jones. I really think Gresham is important in this offense. But neither will make a difference if the O-line doesn't get its **** together. They certainly have time to work on things with a 'virtual bye' next week and Tulsa at home shouldn't be too tough and a real bye after that but the problems I had with the o-line are things they should have solved long before coming to college football. Will another few weeks make a difference? I'm not so sure. Is the season over... not by long shot. If the o-line CAN get it together and Gresham is back, this team will be very good.

landrun
9/6/2009, 11:17 AM
The penalties on the offensive line.
And worse yet, the fact that there are no consequences for them.

I remember JT Thatcher being benched in 2000 for missing a tackle against Nebraska. Couch juked him and was off to the races. JT didn't play safety for the rest of the game and that happened in the first quarter I think.

These guys can commit Five/Six motion penalties and stay in the game.
My opinion is that motion penalties are the worst penalties you can make because you KNOW THE SNAP COUNT!! It is incomprehensible how that kept happening over and over and over....

BoomerSooner, esq.
9/6/2009, 11:36 AM
I have not seen an OU team as undisciplined as they were last night. I can understand the first false start with 4 new guys on the o-line, but the rest of the false starts and the number of holding penalties was outrageous.

I have never complained about OUr coaching staff. It has been clear by the number of assistant coaches who have moved on to great head coaching jobs, that we have one of the best coaching staffs year in and year out.

HOWEVER, last night was a poor performance by players and coaches alike. The O-line was lost. They were making the same mistakes over and over and the coaches were doing very little to correct them. The D-line will be ok. They had their moments (usually McCoy) where I was blown away by their speed. The secondary, on the other hand, doesnt seem to have progressed as far as I expected from last year.

Overall, we deserved to lose. BYU deserved to win.

More than the loss though, I feel extremely bad for Bradford and Gresham. For some reason I feel very selfish. I really never thought about what they were giving up in coming back this year and the drastic risk they were taking by doing it.

At this point, I really could care less about the rest of the season (maybe with the exception of October 17). I just really hope that Bradford and Gresh get back on the field and get drafted where they would have after last season. THEY DESERVE IT.

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 11:46 AM
I feel like I end up typing this kind of stuff every season, but does anyone agree with me that our Defensive play seems so spotty year in and year out??

Raises hand and smiles a sad little smile because I've been saying this for however many years BV has been at the helm, but yet nothing changes. :(

WxGuy1
9/6/2009, 11:52 AM

I agree completely. If we put the ball into the end zone, we win this game. We had 1 freakin' yard to go, and we don't get it -- not because they stuffed the run, or because of an errant pass, but because of a DELAY OF GAME. Are you kidding me?! I still can't believe no coach from the OU sideline was watching the game clock. How in the world do you let the play clock run out when you're nearing the end of a close game and on the 1 yard line?!

Interestingly, it reminded me a bit of a couple of series against FL last year... We got into the red zone, but ended up empty handed (or w/ only 3 instead of 7). Against most legit teams, you usually have to score when you can. Man...

mehip
9/6/2009, 11:52 AM
First and foremost just how bad the o-line played. The penalties were amazing.

Second had to be that we seem to never be able to stop a good team on 3rd and long.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 11:59 AM
First and foremost just how band the o-line played. The penalties were amazing.

Second had to be that we seem to never be able to stop a good team on 3rd and long.

Which thread did you copy and paste that from? :pop:

mehip
9/6/2009, 12:14 PM
Which thread did you copy and paste that from? :pop:

What is your problem? What kind of answer would make you happy ehh? Should I submit all of my posts for your review so that you can approve my originality? Am I supposed to be shocked by something different? Am I supposed to provide new insight? Or, can I just be a lifelong fan who is venting his frustration like everyone else on this board?

I am simply overwhelmed by seeing the same thing on the field year in and year out as far as the defense goes.

RJSooner
9/6/2009, 12:27 PM
Shocked that we as fans seem to expect something different each new season even tho nothing gets changed.

RedstickSooner
9/6/2009, 12:37 PM
The thing I'm most shocked about is that I wasn't shocked last night. I couldn't tell why things had gone so horribly wrong, yet somehow, it seemed inescapable.

It was one of the weirdest games I've ever watched.

RedstickSooner
9/6/2009, 12:38 PM
What is your problem? What kind of answer would make you happy ehh? Should I submit all of my posts for your review so that you can approve my originality? Am I supposed to be shocked by something different? Am I supposed to provide new insight? Or, can I just be a lifelong fan who is venting his frustration like everyone else on this board?

I am simply overwhelmed by seeing the same thing on the field year in and year out as far as the defense goes.

You two need to take a breath before a hung-over and peeved mod decides to shoe whip someone.

Remember -- most of us are on the same side here. And the few who aren't are awfully friendly Mormons who are incredibly good sports. :eek:

Curly Bill
9/6/2009, 12:40 PM
The thing I'm most shocked about is that I wasn't shocked last night. I couldn't tell why things had gone so horribly wrong, yet somehow, it seemed inescapable.

Sadly, I don't think there are too many of us that are shocked. Are we coming to expect what happened last night, or if not actually expect it to be less than surprised by it?

A friend texted me at halftime asking what I thought. I texted back I thought we'd end up losing. The writing was on the wall.

cvsooner
9/6/2009, 01:45 PM
1. Loss of Gresham was huge. Changes whole game plan by removing best, most reliable receiver. Also means losing an offensive line starter and his blocking ability. Shouldn't be a problem because backing him up is Brody Eldridge.

2. Eldridge is moved to center. That means you essentially don't have a proven tight end. It also means problems for the offensive line. Eldridge played well as a center, but the offensive line adjustments an experienced, excellent center like Jon Cooper would make are gone.

3. Offensive line plays poorly for most of the game. Penalties are absolute killers. Offense can't get into a rhythm, and can't stay on the field giving the defense a rest. Six penalties on Cory Brandon alone. Bad coaching or bad play? Probably a little of both.

3.5 Injury to Bradford. Loss of his talent and experience are tough to replace. I don't think we'd have gotten delay of game at the goal line with him at the wheel. Jones played okay for a freshman in a tough situation. Line and receivers not giving him much help.

4. Receivers not catching passes they have to. Admittedly, Sam only missed four throws. So, sixteen of 26 passes were caught. Not bad, but needs to be better. Has to. If passes are making yardage, rest of the gameplan will work.

5. Defense played fairly well, considering they were on field for one full quarter more (exactly 15 minutes) than their counterparts across the way. Offense is primarily to blame for that, but defense has to come up with some stops too. And mostly did. I think the time factor comes into play on that final drive. Suddenly BYU offense looks really good. I'd say that's fatigue. Sooners had to come up with another turnover or a big stop. Middle of the field looked like Texas game all over again. Pitta is a really good tight end, a valuable asset in a game like this. (See points one and two.) Tackling needs work, though. Defense could have played better, but played well enough, especially for opening game.

6. Fumbles. We fumbled as many times last night as all last season.

7. Nobody on the Sooner side was watching the play clock on fourth and goal? I mean, NOBODY? Nobody can call timeout?

8. Franks makes bad read on the tight end on the go-ahead touchdown, but I'd say it's understandable. Pitta is their go-to guy but Franks should have seen double coverage already there and stayed with his man. Clearly that's his assignment. I can't believe he wasn't coached to stick with his assignment.

9. Kickoff problems seem to be solved. Special teams really played rather well. Way is a good punter. Special teams and defense kept us in this one.

10. We were still in a position to win the game with 1:30 left. A penalty turns a more makeable 49-yard field goal into a 54-yarder. He had the leg from 49. Whether or not it had been straight, I dunno.

11. We need to stop playing teams known by three letter monograms to open the season.

12. BYU is a pretty good team. They'll go far this season.

13. Inability on part of coaches to adapt and alter gameplan due to changing circumstances. Frightening part of this is that perhaps what they see is that isn't the best alternative. Maybe players can't make the adaptation the way we think they should.

14. Players didn't seem to be making any excuses in the locker room. It is a season opening game, one-point loss to a ranked opponent when your Heisman Trophy winning QB goes out with injury. Not the end of the season, but we may be looking at 2005 again, now, if Bradford is gone for more than a couple of weeks.

soonerlaw
9/6/2009, 02:13 PM
I was at the game last night and had a couple of questions for you guys.

1. On the final punt, Stevens came out then BYU called T.O. then Way ended up attempting the FG, right? Does Stevens just not have the leg and Way does?

2. Anyone feel (Like I do) that we should have atleast had a tuneup game in our home field to start the season. I mean, look at all the other top 5 programs (except Bama), they all played basically DII schools and beat the crap out of them. It seems like it would have allowed the team to get their jitters out, get hit a couple of times, and settle it. Instead, we go play a quality team on a neutral field in a brand new indoor stadium which in all accounts, is pretty intimidating. It seemed like a lot of the false start penalties and miscues were just from jitters or being rusty. I don't know, it seems OU hasn't done nearly as well on the road as it has at home. Even if this first game was against BYU and it was in Norman, I predict a blowout.

3. Jones reminded me alot of halzle, especially when he came into the game for sam after that TTU concussion. He had all the skills, but not a lot of confidence and not alot of plays where he could build his confidence. It took Halzle a little while, but he got into it. I think Jones looked really good for the most part, and if we had another quarter to play, he would have continued to improve.

Overall, sad day for the Sooners with the injuries and the loss. But hopefully this team can bounce back and start trouncing people again. And pray for Sam and Jermaine's speedy recovery.

WA. Sooner
9/6/2009, 02:45 PM
The D held a ranked team to 14 points. I am fine with that

The O could not score 15 points. I am NOT fine with that

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 03:08 PM
Defense was phenomenal but sometimes they dont trust each other especially in pass coverage

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 03:15 PM
Defense was phenomenal but sometimes they dont trust each other especially in pass coverage

There is now way to know that. We are breaking in two new safeties, they will get better every game.

Okie35
9/6/2009, 03:20 PM
I was just shocked at how slow the O was. That's about it but I'm pretty much over it.

Okie35
9/6/2009, 03:22 PM
The D held a ranked team to 14 points. I am fine with that

The O could not score 15 points. I am NOT fine with that

Yup... Offensively I wasn't too happy but like I said this game is over and done w/. Landry will be fine for the next few games.

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 03:28 PM
I was just shocked at how slow the O was. That's about it but I'm pretty much over it.

I'll agree here with you 100%.. when i was watching Bama and Va. Tech I saw a completely different speed on the field...Im sorry to say but I guess it is true what they say, the SEC does have speed, and speed kills!!

soonerloyal
9/6/2009, 07:53 PM
I have not seen an OU team as undisciplined as they were last night. I can understand the first false start with 4 new guys on the o-line, but the rest of the false starts and the number of holding penalties was outrageous.

I have never complained about OUr coaching staff. It has been clear by the number of assistant coaches who have moved on to great head coaching jobs, that we have one of the best coaching staffs year in and year out.

HOWEVER, last night was a poor performance by players and coaches alike. The O-line was lost. They were making the same mistakes over and over and the coaches were doing very little to correct them. The D-line will be ok. They had their moments (usually McCoy) where I was blown away by their speed. The secondary, on the other hand, doesnt seem to have progressed as far as I expected from last year.

Overall, we deserved to lose. BYU deserved to win.

More than the loss though, I feel extremely bad for Bradford and Gresham. For some reason I feel very selfish. I really never thought about what they were giving up in coming back this year and the drastic risk they were taking by doing it.

At this point, I really could care less about the rest of the season (maybe with the exception of October 17). I just really hope that Bradford and Gresh get back on the field and get drafted where they would have after last season. THEY DESERVE IT.

You had me 'till "I really could care less about the rest of the season". A slap upside the head for that dumbarse remark.

Jeebus. What the hellz are they teachin' kids lately, that they could be so fricking STUUU-PID?

You kids are just plain brain-dead. Turn in your Sooner Fan cards immediately. Even if you do, you deserve to be shot on sight for your incredible stupidity.

BARF.

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 07:54 PM
Looking at the game again if you take out all the penalties and miscues of the offense..WE ARE A DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!! I'm excited about this year!!

jonnylingobyufan
9/7/2009, 03:36 PM
5. I do not believe that we were cocky, or arrogant. Every interview that I watched has led me to believe that they believed it was going to take a lot to win it.

Maye they weren't but you sure were.

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 03:39 PM
Maye they weren't but you sure were.

Your right and we would have won if we didn't lose Sam, but it's football and you can't use that as an excuse.

A-M
9/7/2009, 06:00 PM
Looking at the game again if you take out all the penalties and miscues of the offense..WE ARE A DAMN GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM!!! I'm excited about this year!!

If you keep saying this, will it feel better?:D

TMcGee86
9/7/2009, 06:39 PM
Looking at the game again if you take out all the parts where we sucked..WE DIDN'T SUCK AS BAD!!! I'm excited about this year!!

fixed. :P

BoomerSooner, esq.
9/7/2009, 06:51 PM
You had me 'till "I really could care less about the rest of the season". A slap upside the head for that dumbarse remark.

Jeebus. What the hellz are they teachin' kids lately, that they could be so fricking STUUU-PID?

You kids are just plain brain-dead. Turn in your Sooner Fan cards immediately. Even if you do, you deserve to be shot on sight for your incredible stupidity.

BARF.

The point I was trying to make is that I will be fine with whatever the rest of the season brings AS LONG AS BRADFORD AND GRESHAM GET BACK ON THE FIELD AND THEIR NFL FUTURES ARE NOT HURT.

I think their sacrifice in coming back was a huge risk and I think a lot of the fans on this board need to realize that and appreciate it instead of whining and complaining about how the season is lost (which it isnt).

Sabanball
9/7/2009, 07:41 PM
that you guys had a backup QB that looked like he hadn't played organized football since peewee....

CK Sooner
9/7/2009, 07:43 PM
that you guys had a backup QB that looked like he hadn't played organized football since peewee....

He did decent, but the wide receivers had a lot of drops.

Hotrod3157
9/8/2009, 12:13 AM
There were two things that really bothered me about the game Sat. night. I sat and thought about it for a while before I decided to post and this is going to be it before I move on to next weekends game.

One was how undisciplined the team was in their play. When Stoops first got to OU I was amazed that how from Blake's last season to the first under Stoops that all the stupid penalties and mental errors went away. We no longer beat ourselves and players were always in position to make plays. Seeing those mental mistakes against BYU brought back a lot of old painful memories. Yes its the first game so it should get better but should it have ever been that bad?

The other thing that shocks me and kind of ties into the first thing I mentioned is the lack of accountability we have seemed to develop over the past few years. Somebody mentioned in a post about JT Thatcher getting benched against Nebraska in that 2000 game in Norman after missing an open field tackle on Crouch. I had forgotten about that and it being brought up got me thinking. In years passed on offense and defense if you made mistakes you got to sit down on the bench and stay there for a while even if you were a stud like JT. Even back in 2000 when we as a team didn't supposedly have the talented depth we have now if you made mistakes you got yanked out of the game, screamed at for a few minutes,and you stayed on the bench for awhile maybe even for the rest of the game. There was a time if an offensive lineman had multiple false starts and other mental errors that he would have been sat down yeah the guy that comes in got beat out to be a starter but maybe at least he can move when the ball is snapped not before. Blown coverages with receivers running all by themselves and the players stay on the field. Maybe the 2nd stringer blows a coverage too but maybe he makes a play because he wants to show everybody he deserves to be out there. At one time mistakes were unacceptable but now they have slowly seemed to become acceptable at least to an extent.

I know its human nature to get complacent so its HARD to keep the edge you have when you first start a job. When Bob first got to Norman, he pulled all the stops in order to win yeah we might end up gettin beat but we were workin our butts off trying to win. He gambled with play calling and personnel to make it happen and I wish some of that hard nosed and river boat gambler mentality would come back. I for one miss it

Sooner70
9/8/2009, 06:30 AM
I was shocked by the ragged, mistake prone offensive effort. It had the appearance of a Blake coached unit and appeared unprepared for the challenge of a stiff opponent as BYU was.

Breadburner
9/8/2009, 06:57 AM
I would have never thought we would have only scored 27 points in the last two games we played....

Jdog
9/8/2009, 07:09 AM
3 penalties in a row from one guy - thats middle school crap.

Bottom line - SOONERS were not prepared - Coaches fault!!!!!

Case closed - next game