PDA

View Full Version : BYU fans

SeattleOUstudent
9/6/2009, 01:03 AM
overall impressions....

I was right in the middle of their section somehow. I rank them between somewhere around Nebraska-quality. Very knowledgeable of their football history. Of course there were plenty of high-fives going around, but never 'in your face' kinda stuff. They were very nervous there at the end.

Now, I know there were a few a-holes yelling after the game was over, but again, they were nice. I would have hoped to have been as good of a representative of my OU if the tables were turned.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 01:07 AM
Figured it would go something like that.

Wish we would have posted a "W" instead...

Congrats to them. They deserve to be happy.

cougartroll2009
9/6/2009, 01:20 AM
As a BYU fan, I'm not alone in considering this in the top three of BYU's most significant wins ever. I think the team we played tonight was a better team, especially defensively, than the #1 Miami team we beat with Ty Detmer. We've had a lot of "bend-but-don't-break" defenses over the years, and to play OU as tough as we did defensively (even without Sam Bradford for half of it; he wasn't lighting us up when he was in anyway) is what is so shocking to many of us Cougar fans. Holding BYU to 14 points also reflects very positively on OU's defense, and bodes well for Big 12 play, IMO.

I'm glad you had a good experience sitting in the BYU section. I've had a good experience in this forum. The vast majority of you are classy and have a much better than average sense of humor (the BYU look-alike thread was hilarious, and for once had some actual look-alikes. The BYU cheerleaders/fundamentalist polygamist thread was pretty funny, too).

Being Oklahoma and in the Big 12, if OU wins out from here, they will be in the BCS title game again. It's much better to lose early than late in the season.

Here's wishing a speedy recovery to Sam and Gresh. OU will receive a lot more benefit from not having played a "Bo-Diddley Tech" in the opener . . .

Oh, wait! According to Barry Switzer (back in 1984), OU *did* play Bo Diddley Tech tonight . . . :)

Good night, all!

SoonerCoug
9/6/2009, 01:25 AM
OU fans >>>> Ute fans > Wyoming fans.

cougartroll2009
9/6/2009, 01:47 AM
Yep, that's pretty much the order of the food chain. :)

I know the people in Big 12 country scratch their heads at mention of Wyoming, but they've never had whiskey bottles thrown at them or ash from foot-long cigars tapped onto their heads throughout a game.

Funky G
9/6/2009, 01:50 AM
For OU fans this loss is one of the worst, compared to TCU, Boise State, and Kansas in the '80s...

YLife
9/6/2009, 02:51 AM
are classy. :P

RedstickSooner
9/6/2009, 02:58 AM
I dunno if this'd be worse or better if BYU fans weren't so damned respectful, friendly, and thoughtful.

Similarly, I dunno if it'd be better or worse if I didn't feel like BYU had really earned the win -- they played awfully well. Sure, we screwed up some stuff, but they were playing very, very hard.

Lott's Bandana
9/6/2009, 03:33 AM
...never shouted, "MWC, MWC, MWC!"

colinreturn
9/6/2009, 03:43 AM
...never shouted, "MWC, MWC, MWC!"

and just for that reason they are better than any SEC fans

colinreturn
9/6/2009, 03:45 AM
For OU fans this loss is one of the worst, compared to TCU, Boise State, and Kansas in the '80s...

This has to be one of the most disappointing non bowl losses ever, IMO. we all knew the year we lost to tcu was rebuild.

zeke
9/6/2009, 06:35 AM
Congrats to BYU

soonerloyal
9/6/2009, 07:06 AM
Absolutely, congratulations to the BYU football team, to their fans & the school for the great game. Enjoy the win, and best of luck the rest of your season!

batonrougesooner
9/6/2009, 07:17 AM
As a BYU fan, I'm not alone in considering this in the top three of BYU's most significant wins ever.

Glad to help. OU has been providing this service to several teams over the last few years.

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 07:20 AM
No sh*t they have, and I'm getting f*cking sick of it.

the_ouskull

OKC-SLC
9/6/2009, 09:34 AM

the_ouskull

me too.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 09:37 AM

You might wanna talk to some of the Sooner Fans that had to walk out of the Superdome against LSU or the ones that went to Miami for the suc game.

picasso
9/6/2009, 09:39 AM
As a BYU fan, I'm not alone in considering this in the top three of BYU's most significant wins ever. I think the team we played tonight was a better team, especially defensively, than the #1 Miami team we beat with Ty Detmer. We've had a lot of "bend-but-don't-break" defenses over the years, and to play OU as tough as we did defensively (even without Sam Bradford for half of it; he wasn't lighting us up when he was in anyway) is what is so shocking to many of us Cougar fans. Holding BYU to 14 points also reflects very positively on OU's defense, and bodes well for Big 12 play, IMO.

I'm glad you had a good experience sitting in the BYU section. I've had a good experience in this forum. The vast majority of you are classy and have a much better than average sense of humor (the BYU look-alike thread was hilarious, and for once had some actual look-alikes. The BYU cheerleaders/fundamentalist polygamist thread was pretty funny, too).

Being Oklahoma and in the Big 12, if OU wins out from here, they will be in the BCS title game again. It's much better to lose early than late in the season.

Here's wishing a speedy recovery to Sam and Gresh. OU will receive a lot more benefit from not having played a "Bo-Diddley Tech" in the opener . . .

Oh, wait! According to Barry Switzer (back in 1984), OU *did* play Bo Diddley Tech tonight . . . :)

Good night, all!

the BCS this year is a pipe dream.

We just need to get better in order to beat the BYU's of the world.

SeattleOUstudent
9/6/2009, 10:39 AM

the_ouskull

Yeah, no kidding!

landrun
9/6/2009, 10:44 AM
Glad to help. OU has been providing this service to several teams over the last few years.

Ain't that the truth!! Suck too.

douxpaysan
9/6/2009, 12:19 PM
This has to be one of the most disappointing non bowl losses ever, IMO. we all knew the year we lost to tcu was rebuild.

Now we know this year is rebuild too...for the O not so much for the D.

No1Better
9/6/2009, 12:39 PM
Experience with the BYU fans was very good, they were respectful and were there to watch their team compete. Nothing egregious to speak of, good, fair opponent.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 04:54 PM

Good night, all!

Go drink some coffee!

soonerx
9/6/2009, 04:58 PM
Apparently I sat behind the one idiot BYU fan. He would jump up and cheer extra loud whenever BYU did anything remotely good, then turn around and look at us and other OU fans behind him with a smirk. My wife and I are very respectful OU fans and never did a thing to egg him on. Then when Bradford got hurt he actually cheered loudly and pumped his fist. The OU lady sitting next to me accidentally? spilled her coke on him a couple minutes later, which pleased me. Of course he probably wasn't any older than 17 years old judging by his pimpled face and wannabe gangster saggy pants and sideways hat, so I guess it's understandable.

On a side note, my sister and bro-in-law who were sitting in another section commented several times after the game about how nice the BYU fans were around them.

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 05:01 PM
I was sitting in the BYU section also. No problems at all. I am happy for them. Congrats.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 05:03 PM
I was sitting in the BYU section also. No problems at all. I am happy for them. Congrats.

Was there a lot of man hugs being given out?

OUAlumni1990
9/6/2009, 05:05 PM
Was there a lot of man hugs being given out?

No, but I hugged a really good looking chick behind me. :D

Chuck Bao
9/6/2009, 05:42 PM
I didn't have to walk out of this game with the loss. But, the LSU game in the Superdome was hard to take. I have hatred in my heart.

By all accounts I've read, the BYU fans were classy, I have to respect any and all college football fans that are there for the student athletes and school pride. SEC...SEC...chants are a wonder when the SEC school fans make a sport out of trying to intimidate and humiliate the other fans when they are just traveling to support their kids.

OU, Nebraska and even Texas fans are far more willing to say good game to opposing fans, even with a loss, than SEC fans (Alabama fans possibly the exclusion).

picasso
9/6/2009, 06:07 PM
The Bammer fans were great.

westbrooke
9/6/2009, 06:10 PM
You might wanna talk to some of the Sooner Fans that had to walk out of the Superdome against LSU or the ones that went to Miami for the suc game.

Bingo. LSU fans are notorious. I didn't make it to the Sugar Bowl in 2003, but I had to walk out of Arrowhead after losing to KSU the month before, and that blew. The following year in Miami was intolerably demoralizing.

BYU fans are barely the same species. Happy as hell after the game, but I didn't see anyone getting up in the faces of the OU fans. Nice, respectful, and happy to talk with anyone both before and after the game. Same goes for the ones that post on here, as far as I've seen. I hope you stick around. Sometimes it's nice to hear from the pleasant outsiders!

jonnylingobyufan
9/7/2009, 03:16 PM
Apparently I sat behind the one idiot BYU fan. He would jump up and cheer extra loud whenever BYU did anything remotely good, then turn around and look at us and other OU fans behind him with a smirk. My wife and I are very respectful OU fans and never did a thing to egg him on. Then when Bradford got hurt he actually cheered loudly and pumped his fist. The OU lady sitting next to me accidentally? spilled her coke on him a couple minutes later, which pleased me. Of course he probably wasn't any older than 17 years old judging by his pimpled face and wannabe gangster saggy pants and sideways hat, so I guess it's understandable.

On a side note, my sister and bro-in-law who were sitting in another section commented several times after the game about how nice the BYU fans were around them.

You should have punched him. I would have. I was surrounded by ou fans. all were very polite. many of them congratulated us afterwards. overall, i thought the ou fans were great.

I did almost geat beat up by a few drunk ou fans, but they were the exception, not the rule.

jkampana
9/7/2009, 04:04 PM
Hey Sooners! BYU fan here. I tried to sign up last week to talk about the game but didnt get okayed till a few days ago. Now I wanted to start my own thread but cant so I figured this thread is the best place for it.

I went to the game and Dallas and wanted to say THANK YOU to all the sooner fans there. You are all a very classy bunch. Before the game all I heard from OU fans was "Good Luck!" And "Welcome to Big 12 country! enjoy the game!" I was affered many times to join the soonersw tailgaiting activities too.

During the game there were some sooner fans around me and it was great to exchange info about each others team and to enjoy the game.The best part was after the game when it seemed like 20-30 different groups of people made it a point to walk up, shake my hand, and congradulate me for my teams efforts. Many complimented the defense or Max Halls athletecism and just the team in general. You have gained a fan this weekend. And hope one day our teams will meet again. I hope your team wins out from here and takes down the Longhorns!

PS I was very jealous of the tradition your team has. Hope to one day match the success your team has accomplished..

BOOMER SOONER!

msteudem
9/7/2009, 04:39 PM
BYU fans were great. They were very loud and represented well for being a minority in a sea of crimson. Very respectful and supportive to those of us that were leaving the game trying to wake up from what seemed to be a nightmare.

My hopes would be (pipe dream at this point) for both the Cougars and Sooners to run the table and have a rematch in the NC game in Pasadena! Of course with a different outcome.

StoopTroup
9/7/2009, 05:18 PM
Hey Sooners! BYU fan here. I tried to sign up last week to talk about the game but didnt get okayed till a few days ago. Now I wanted to start my own thread but cant so I figured this thread is the best place for it.

I went to the game and Dallas and wanted to say THANK YOU to all the sooner fans there. You are all a very classy bunch. Before the game all I heard from OU fans was "Good Luck!" And "Welcome to Big 12 country! enjoy the game!" I was affered many times to join the soonersw tailgaiting activities too.

During the game there were some sooner fans around me and it was great to exchange info about each others team and to enjoy the game.The best part was after the game when it seemed like 20-30 different groups of people made it a point to walk up, shake my hand, and congradulate me for my teams efforts. Many complimented the defense or Max Halls athletecism and just the team in general. You have gained a fan this weekend. And hope one day our teams will meet again. I hope your team wins out from here and takes down the Longhorns!

PS I was very jealous of the tradition your team has. Hope to one day match the success your team has accomplished..

BOOMER SOONER!

Nice post. Good luck the rest of the way.

OKLA21FAN
9/7/2009, 05:31 PM

Funny side bar here:

during the pre-game (or maybe it was the 1st QTR), there was a dealio on the big screen about the Davey O'brien Award and Bradford winning it last year. The BYU fan sitting in front of me turned around and said 'that was cool'. I responded with, 'pfffffttttt, haven't you guys like won a dozen of those? Thats old hat for a school like BYU!'

He simply smiled and said 'thanks'

I said 'its your tradition, you have earned it'

we had a great time with the 'banter' all game. Nothing but class for the BYU fans that I encountered.

delhalew
9/7/2009, 05:46 PM
I'm glad we were well represented. It seems we usually are. I now have tons of respect for BYU fans.

Chuck Bao
9/7/2009, 06:14 PM
Congrats to the BYU fans. Your team deserved the win. I'm glad to hear so many of you enjoyed your experience with an over-whelming number of Sooner fans.

On the internet radio, the OU fans were very loud at the appropriate times. I love the fact that our fans showed up.

So, hats off to all of you attending the game. And, hats off again for those of you offering congrats to the BYU fans. And, hats off a third time for those of you still keeping the Sooner flag flying. New recruits in the DFW area have to see that as a sign of very strong fan base support.

And, I hope that if any of you see any OU fan screaming in the face of young kids or elderly opposing fans or threatening physical violence, that you tell them that we should be above that sort of SEC stuff. We have the hardware to prove it.

Again, congrats to the BYU fans and the victory.

YardTime
9/7/2009, 11:38 PM
I posted here a bit the week before the game and promised, win or lose, I would come back. I waited until now because I know what it feels like to have the team you love, and feel that woulda coulda shoulda won, lose and then have some idiot fan from the other team come and rub it in your face. I didn't want to be that guy.

A couple of thoughts:

Next to Notre Dame, I think OU has the classiest fans I have ever interacted with. I had no idea. Hats off to you guys.

I hate that Bradford got hurt. He is a great player and there is no question that that changed OU's offense. Hopefully he'll be back to 100% very soon.

I just have to say that it really was quite an honor to be able to play you guys! I know you guys are stinging, but I am still floating that we were able to hang and play well. You guys have some AMAZING athletes!

I would NEVER have thought we could win a 14 - 13 kind of game. Good luck to you guys for the rest of the season and BEAT TEXAS!!!!!

YT

yankee
9/8/2009, 12:22 AM
i was in the standing room only section...and had 2 dumbass byu fans behind me who seemed very intoxicated. loud, arrogant, and extremely annoying...it took a bit of encouraging to get my dad to not knock their faces in. i do however think i was in the extreme minority. outside of those 2, any encounter i had with byu fans was a non-issue, and judging by some of the posts on here by byu fans, i wish i was standing/sitting by them instead. congrats on the W, and i'm not going to let my experience with those 2 fans affect my judgement of what i think of your school, team, and fanbase. ;)