PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts leaving Jerry World

PLaw
9/5/2009, 11:47 PM
Just got home from the game and can't sleep despite having got up at 0500.

1) McCoy played outstanding - most fun I've had watching a D-lineman in a while. His play was Selman-like.

2) Travis Lewis is taking up where he left off last year. The kid is a stud.

3) Ryan Reynolds, well he was pretty solid against the run, but the knee injuries have taken toll and Ryan is very slow. He got killed in the passing game.

4) Speaking of the passing game - we sucked. Dom Franks got turned around more than a wind vane in western Oklahoma. Can't say anything good about a crew that gave up 3rd and 10's, 3rd and 9, all night. Despite playing good sporadically, when it came time for a big stop - they didn't deliver.

5) Kicking much improved over last year, not sure its "there" yet, but really no major breakdowns.

6) Wow, how about the play calling in the 1st half. 3rd and 7 with a Heisman winner at QB and we're running the ball??? For that matter, the playing calling on the last drive once we got to the BYU 32 seemed to break down.

7) And how about a 1st and goal from the 1 and the Sooners walk away with a field goal. That was a sick flashback to the OB. Probably cost us both games.

8) Does anybody remember a game that we won against a quality team that was outside of the Big 12? Down 'bama teams?, down 'canes?? Man, I long for Big Game Bob to find his Mojo, but it seems that it left so long ago.

9) CLASS act by the SOONER NATION - all up and down. The Sooner fans were super.

10) The ball is going to have to take some wierd bounces for OU to have any shot at the BCS championship game. Stranger things have happened, but hopefully we will get our act together enough to compete for a fourth straight Big 12 championship.

11) Was the play calling indicative that the coach's have a lack of confidence in the wide receivers. When it was all said and done, I had expected much more and left wanting. I don't see Caleb or Tennel playing at the level of Johnson and Iggy.

12) Did we even throw the ball to James Hannah? I don't recall it.

13) Landry showed some poise and promise. I think he will be fine.

14) So, are the penalties do to poor coaching and preparation or knuckleheaded players??

15) Jury is still out on this team. I think we drop to about No. 11 -13 considering the injuries. We could run the table or we could really mail it in and tank to around 4-5 losses. Current toss-ups: t-sips; ok aggies; sand aggies, nebbish.

16) What did you think about the wildcat?? I was dead wrong, when I said the Sooners would never run it considering we had Bradford at QB. Man, was I wrong, but it didn't do much and was quickly abandoned. I still have to believe that Sam with a ball in his hand and 5 receivers it much more of an anxiety attack for a defense than the wildcat.

Boomer

Crucifax Autumn
9/5/2009, 11:50 PM
Tyan had an INT..How is that bad?

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2009, 01:08 AM
I think that 'wildcat' formation is best left to the Iowa States and the Vanderbilts of the world. I could not believe they trotted that stupid junior high crap out there.

sooner59
9/6/2009, 01:14 AM
My thoughts leaving Jerry World were:

1. We lost....I'm sure you share my feelings about that.
2. I hope to Tebow that Sam is back soon.
3. Regardless of the loss of Sam, I have to believe if that game is played in Norman, we still win. I hated giving up a home game to play there from day one. Still tons of Sooner fans, but just not the same as home. There is a different level of intensity and confidence there. I hope $2 Million was worth it, Joe Castiglione.
4. Where the hell did I park?

josh09
9/6/2009, 01:25 AM
Since it seems we're telling our thoughts:

1. Defense, IMO, played great, despite that last drive. They were just tired there.

2. We should have started throwing more with Sam earlier in the game instead of trying to establish the run, because that got us nowhere.

3. Trying not to take anything away from BYU, but we pretty much beat ourselves, what with penalties in the redzone that killed our drives, multiple fumbles that also killed our drives, and field goals instead of touchdowns.

4. Lets stick to playing the easy times in openers, because obviously this team wasn't ready for a game situation (or at least the offense)

Overall, the stadium was nice (though i could barely hear anything the announcers said, or our band), and like i said, IMO we beat ourselves. We just need to fix a couple things on offense, and we should be fine, because Landry looked pretty poised out there. And here's to hoping Sam comes back inspired :D

josh09
9/6/2009, 01:25 AM
My thoughts leaving Jerry World were:

1. We lost....I'm sure you share my feelings about that.
2. I hope to Tebow that Sam is back soon.
3. Regardless of the loss of Sam, I have to believe if that game is played in Norman, we still win. I hated giving up a home game to play there from day one. Still tons of Sooner fans, but just not the same as home. There is a different level of intensity and confidence there. I hope $2 Million was worth it, Joe Castiglione.
4. Where the hell did I park?

I agree 100% with #4

PLaw
9/6/2009, 07:23 AM
Tyan had an INT..How is that bad?

If 300 yds is the benchmark for a QB between a good day and a great day, then Hall had a great day with 330 yds an more than a 60% completion rate. Anytime the opposing QB has a great day, your pass D sucks. Kind of like the day Stanford and John Elway came to town.

BOOMER

yermom
9/6/2009, 09:16 AM
i'll take 300 yards and 14 points about any day of the week

halve the number of false starts and i say we win this game

our offense was also just not rolling last night. losing Gresham killed us. Sam probably doesn't even get hurt if Gresham is out there, i don't think

as for #4, no kidding. at least it was only $20

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 09:19 AM
They put an extra DB on the field every now and then. (Jonathan Nelson) but he still got burned.

btk108
9/6/2009, 09:20 AM
hope to Tebow......now that's funny! Thanks for the laugh, we needed it.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 09:24 AM
i'll take 300 yards and 14 points about any day of the week

halve the number of false starts and i say we win this game

our offense was also just not rolling last night. losing Gresham killed us. Sam probably doesn't even get hurt if Gresham is out there, i don't think

as for #4, no kidding. at least it was only $20

No doubt Yermom.

We didn't score. We lost. The Defense kept them out of the EZ all night. Yeah we gave up some yards and they made some catches. We lost Sam. We didn't prepare for it. Bob never has. I hate that trait. But I don't hate him. I do think it's something Bob and the Coaching staff should look at in the future. I hope Landry doesn't put this loss on his shoulders. He seems like a very disiplined good kid.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/6/2009, 09:25 AM
I agree on your McCoy point. And he got stronger as the game wore on.

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 09:29 AM
At one point McCoy was tapping his helmet to come out after running a guy out of bounds and his teammate said something to him and he stayed in. You could see in his face he was WORN OUT, but he didn't give up and he gave it all he got.

picasso
9/6/2009, 09:37 AM
Our D played well enough to win. It's not their fault we were so inept at the goal line.
I'm wondering why we didn't give the ball to Demarco again on 3rd down? Give the ball to your better player.
I'm not happy with Kevin Wilson these days.

btk108
9/6/2009, 09:40 AM
Our D played well enough to win. It's not their fault we were so inept at the goal line.
I'm wondering why we didn't give the ball to Demarco again on 3rd down? Give the ball to your better player.
I'm not happy with Kevin Wilson these days.

Check out the "OUr 4th, their 4th down" thread

westbrooke
9/6/2009, 09:53 AM
Agree with most everything said above. Turnovers. Penalties. Dropped balls. Injuries. Can't get the defense off the field on 3rd down. Defensive breakdowns. Pretty much everything that could go wrong did. We won't be Tulsa, much less Texas, playing like that.

Things that were good:

1. McCoy was a beast. Despite winning, Hall might have nightmares about him.

2. I only counted one ball from Sam that was uncatchable. The rest of his incompletions were drops. Speaks well for him if not the receivers.

3. I thought Landry was fine. The only mistake that I really think was his was the fumbled snap, and even that is understandable given a backup QB and a center recently converted from TE. The delay of game penalty at the goal line should have been caught by any number of coaches. But he'll be limited if the line can't play a clean snap and his receiver's can't catch.

4. The stadium was impressive, but I can't say I'd be excited to return any time soon.

the_ouskull
9/6/2009, 09:54 AM
At one point McCoy was tapping his helmet to come out after running a guy out of bounds and his teammate said something to him and he stayed in. You could see in his face he was WORN OUT, but he didn't give up and he gave it all he got.

I was about to b*tch about that, too, until he made the play again on the next play. Then I backed down a little, but really... our AA tackle is completely winded by the time a team reaches our 50 on the biggest drive in their program's history... it doesn't bode well for a LOT of things, football program-related.

the_ouskull

CK Sooner
9/6/2009, 09:58 AM
I was about to b*tch about that, too, until he made the play again on the next play. Then I backed down a little, but really... our AA tackle is completely winded by the time a team reaches our 50 on the biggest drive in their program's history... it doesn't bode well for a LOT of things, football program-related.

the_ouskull

In McCoy's defense I don't think they subbed him out much and that could be the reason. Don't knock McCoy, he gave everything he had that game.

picasso
9/6/2009, 10:09 AM
And let's not schedule any more neutral games. :)

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 10:12 AM
No more netural sites for sure. One loss sold for 2.2 million. Jerry World SUCKED

yermom
9/6/2009, 10:48 AM
you'd think with how big that place was there would be more than 75k in it

why would they "sell out" when it's supposed to hold 25k more people?

also, the scalping being illegal thing was a touch annoying

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 11:10 AM
also, the scalping being illegal thing was a touch annoying

What happened?

Were they arresting/ticketing people?

PLaw
9/6/2009, 01:28 PM
No more netural sites for sure. One loss sold for 2.2 million. Jerry World SUCKED

No neutral sites? How about a FBS division team in Norman that you can hang 60? No way in hades is that better than what I experienced at Jerry World.

Besides, I'm a 4th Gen Okie and I say ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - JUST BRING IT - A true SOONER doesn't back down, period.

So go crawl back into your Arbuckle cave and play the patsies to pad your stats and stroke your self-esteem.

BOOMER

yermom
9/6/2009, 01:33 PM
What happened?

Were they arresting/ticketing people?

it was still going on but they had to be more secretive. i think it helps the scalpers get more $$$ since the regular fans can't hold their extra tickets out in the open

CaliBornSoonerBred
9/6/2009, 01:33 PM
CK, I know you would have already posted big updates on Sam(you usually have a good inside scoop and we thank you for it) but have you heard anything at all about him from today?

SoonerInSpringdale
9/6/2009, 02:13 PM
Good post. Thanks for your observations.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 04:50 PM
No neutral sites? How about a FBS division team in Norman that you can hang 60? No way in hades is that better than what I experienced at Jerry World.

Besides, I'm a 4th Gen Okie and I say ANYBODY, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - JUST BRING IT - A true SOONER doesn't back down, period.

So go crawl back into your Arbuckle cave and play the patsies to pad your stats and stroke your self-esteem.

BOOMER

I'm a 4th generaton grad at OU- where in my post means backing down? Jerry World still Sucks.

StoopTroup
9/6/2009, 04:52 PM
I'm a 4th generaton grad at OU- where in my post means backing down? Jerry World still Sucks.

It took you 4 generations to graduate?

SicEm will be impressed.

I Am Right
9/6/2009, 04:58 PM
It took you 4 generations to graduate?

SicEm will be impressed.

Yes, impressed?

LawtonBoy74
9/6/2009, 04:59 PM

Yeah when I seen that it sent chills up my spine, he left it all out there to try to get the win...Game ball to McCOY

JLEW1818
9/6/2009, 05:06 PM
did anybody see some 6'3 guy with a crimson sooner polo, with 2 clinched fists, walking really fast, with a frown, and cussing to himself, after the game?

me

(the lady friend could not even keep up) got back to the tailgate shotgunned a beer, pulled my tailgate down, laid back, and looked at the sky for about 10 minutes of silence. )